Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Is this the first signs of some bought exclusivity/favouritism?

iirc the Prince of Persia Remake leaked with listings for PS4 and Switch but not Xbox...
wha? exclusive disk collectors edition? lol, that makes even less sense. They are still selling collectors edition xbox versions it just comes with a digital version

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could be a reaction to format sales.

IIRC Xbox did have higher than average digital sales

bob100

Oct 29, 2017
I'm all for physical media...guess I'll go with PlayStation especially if this is a continued trend

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Kinda to end the speculation on this (well maybe, this is still just an idea), I wanna point out what Lampa said in the other thread that's currently up about this.

"Looking at Valhalla's page on Amazon, it seems that PS4 and PS5 version are separate SKU, and contents on the disc might be different, where as Xbox has one SKU for both consoles, they probably don't want to bottleneck themselves with non-UHD Blu-Rays because of base Xbox One"

This is the reason, most likely. It's because MS are pushing for one unified packaging...so you'd have to have a non-UHD Bluray to account for the old ass base Xbone, and then put a UHD version in there as well so Series X users wouldn't go crazy about a huge additional download. PS4/PS5 having different SKUs solves this, and so for Xbox why increase the packaging cost when you could just shave it down instead? The one box "Xbox" family packaging is the likely cause here.

That doesn't make any sense when they offer the base game as a disc.

OP
OP
Thiago

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Kinda to end the speculation on this (well maybe, this is still just an idea), I wanna point out what Lampa said in the other thread that's currently up about this.

"Looking at Valhalla's page on Amazon, it seems that PS4 and PS5 version are separate SKU, and contents on the disc might be different, where as Xbox has one SKU for both consoles, they probably don't want to bottleneck themselves with non-UHD Blu-Rays because of base Xbox One"

This is the reason, most likely. It's because MS are pushing for one unified packaging...so you'd have to have a non-UHD Bluray to account for the old ass base Xbone, and then put a UHD version in there as well so Series X users wouldn't go crazy about a huge additional download. PS4/PS5 having different SKUs solves this, and so for Xbox why increase the packaging cost when you could just shave it down instead? The one box "Xbox" family packaging is the likely cause here.
Yes, PS4 and PS5 have different SKUs with a free upgrade.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
The Valhalla CE has a steel book. The Xbox version getting that as well?

No point in no disk and a steelbook box

Last edited:

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018

But now isn't it a huge download now anyway for both systems?

Megaten

Oct 30, 2017
That doesn't make any sense when they offer the base game as a disc.

Oh, is there? Well that changes my take on it I guess. Well hell, as an aside...is the base Xbox version on a non UHD then? That actually kinda sucks a bit for a Series X user, I suppose. Not a huge difference, but still.

Grim

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
London, UK.
I'm happy with this (as a PS4, future PS5) owner. Even with Ghost of Tsushima I wanted digital code for the game and just the items in CE. Sometimes I'd like to choose whether or not I want a physical or digital variation of the game.

Sucks that Xbox players won't even have the option to choose.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, is there? Well that changes my take on it I guess. Well hell, as an aside...is the base Xbox version on a non UHD then? That actually kinda sucks a bit for a Series X user, I suppose. Not a huge difference, but still.

They're only making this change with the collectors edition.

It's Smart Delivery so Series X users who buy a disc based version were in theory always going to be downloading the entire game anyways.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Gotta post this again:

Sony no longer allows retailers to have digital PSN game codes anymore. So it is likely related to that, as the other consoles do not have that rule (or is much laxer).

Vito

One Winged Slayer - Formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there's no way PS6 has discs.

RIP.

Dec 8, 2018
Posted in a later thread.

Fuck forcing digital on anyone especially on a collectors edition. The stragest part is why it´s Xbox only also? Dont they even have the marketing for Valhalla?

If this is some don´t want to pay fot he limited print costs it´s really nice seeing that MS warchest that people always talk about surely is being put to good use.

upinsmoke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really do collectors editions and certainly have zero interest in Valhalla...however wtf is the point of a collector's edition without a fucking disc. Absolute knobs.

krae_man

Master of Balan Wonderworld
Oct 25, 2017
Just make the collectors editions their own SKU with no game then people can buy whatever version(physical, digital, PS5, Series X etc) they want.

EA had it right with the Mirrors Edge Catalyst collectors edition.

Just start doing that again.

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Posted in a later thread.

Fuck forcing digital on anyone especially on a collectors edition. The stragest part is why it´s Xbox only also? Dont they even have the marketing for Valhalla?

If this is some don´t want to pay fot he limited print costs it´s really nice seeing that MS warchest that people always talk about surely is being put to good use.
huh, doesn't the publisher pay for printing discs?

Shin-Ra

Nov 1, 2017
It's Smart Delivery so Series X users who buy a disc based version were in theory always going to be downloading the entire game anyways.
Whether it's a partial or full download, it's a big fat turn-off if you buy games on disc to actually.. get the game on disc rather than download.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
If might have made sense if it was for all versions of the game. Why just CE?

Will Valhalla be cheaper with no disc and steelbook? I doubt it.

headspawn

Oct 27, 2017
Whether it's a partial or full download, it's a big fat turn-off if you buy games on disc to actually.. get the game on disc rather than download.

It's honestly pretty stupid, they should've just sold the collectors edition minus the DLC/Code altogether and give an appropriate price that doesn't include that cost so people can buy whatever they want separately (digital/disc), keep the fancy case in the Collectors Edition. Either that or just let people choose disc/digital when they purchase, that shouldn't be a problem these days.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

I get that. Once we finally move past Xbox One versions, then those discs will be just the Series X version but we got a year+ to go for that.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Isn´t MS working on a trade in physical midia for Lockhart or something like that ?
Maybe it has something to do with this and Ubi with no plans to support it.

Deleted member 1589

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Could be that Sony toughened the situation? Because that seems to be the only real reason I could figure out.
Dont think so, seeing as the Shinobi tweet above said that PS owners can choose to get either digital code or physical.

It's something Ubisoft dictated than any of the two console makers I think.

RF Switch

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As someone who games shares between family members this is great news. I was annoyed when it was switched last time.

edit: choice should be an option if it is on Sony but I hated the fact it was physical only for Xbox when it was once digital

Last edited:

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean MS is doing a good job in killing physical sales.
I mean, yeah. Didn't Capcom publish that out of the physical sales of their video games last year, less than 10% was Xbox? I wouldn't be too surprised if Ubisoft was seeing something similar. Plus, it gets them ahead of the Series S likely lacking a disc drive.

I personally don't like this move, but I can see the business logic of it.

Praedyth

Feb 25, 2020
Brazil
We can only speculate why, but I think this must be something on MS' end and not Ubi. If it was a Ubi thing, PS versions would be digital too as the discs should cost the same to make and they are already printing millions for standard units.

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
if thats a sign of things to come for MS consoles...that pretty much eliminates me from getting a MS system anytime soon.

Very rarely do I buy digital for non-indie games on console (PC is my only way I am okay with digital)

M.Bluth

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused. They're still making discs for the regular edition, and those collector editions are usually overpriced trash anyway, they can afford a disc in there.

Magio

Apr 14, 2020
I too like collecting stuff that doesn't actually exist physically and that I don't actually own in any way, shape or form. Truly the essence of collector's editions.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017
We can only speculate why, but I think this must be something on MS' end and not Ubi. If it was a Ubi thing, PS versions would be digital too as the discs should cost the same to make and they are already printing millions for standard units.

Until we see if other publishers are doing the same thing, we can't really say since right now it's isolated to just Ubi.

Coolduderedux

Oct 25, 2017
I actually like the option to get a collector's edition with the disc and a download code instead. All i really want are the physical goodies that come with the CE.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
Just speaking anecdotally, I've noticed a lot more Xbox Collector's Editions (like the $100+ ones) on clearance over time than their Playstation equivalent. That could play a factor.