• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which team should I have ranked in my top 25 instead of Georgia Southern?

• Florida State

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Vanderbilt

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Pitt

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • UCLA

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • Arkansas

Votes: 9 16.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm not talking about all that extraneous shit. You said their schedule is trash to date. You're now ranked higher than them, do you believe UCF comes out with a comparable record playing that schedule? Why the level of adjustment? You want respect, earn it.
I already said we'd compete? And how can we earn it if scheduling is out of our control and therefore you automatically write off wins as irrelevant. And yeah, UCF is an elite team. They'd hold their own and not get blown out by shitty Purdue.

The only people adding extraneous shit is people like you who will do anything to throw out impossible to answer hypotheticals.

All I know is UCF hasn't had a L next to their name since Obama was in office.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's all relative though.

Talent doesn't automatically equate to being a better team, but it's fair to say the more talent you have the better chance you have at being good and the more likely it is to have everything click for a game for an upset even if you are a talented team that has underperformed on the season.

Name one team UCF has played this year that is as good as Penn State or that they will play that is as good as Michigan or Wisconsin? Name one team that has as much talent as the handful of good teams tOSU will play? Heck even a disappointing TCU is better than most G5 teams, unless TCU just completely crumbles.

No offense, but people way overreact when a team loses. Basically if you lose a game you are trash and if you haven't lost a game it's because you've played a trash schedule. Don't you see how that's a ridiculous way to view college football?

As the year progresses, we learn more and more about teams. TCU looked like a good team when Ohio St beat them. Now they look just okay, and maybe after the regular season is over we will believe TCU is mediocre or maybe they salvage their season and they are a pretty good team. Maybe Texas is actually very good and just had a perplexing loss to start the season. Or maybe they are decent and playing in a weak Big 12. Maybe LSU is really good but they will have a couple games where their offense just can't get it done. Maybe they are a great defensive team with an average offense that can beat up on teams without dynamic offenses but can't compete with the elite teams.

But this idea that UCF's schedule and the level of talent and competition is comparable to even P5 teams with weaker schedule is just wrong.

The current system is unfair to G5 teams, but almost inherent to their status is a weak schedule that rarely will be strong enough to justify rewarding them with a playoff spot. Part of it is being one of the best teams and part of it is earning it on the field.
Nobody is saying a team is trash for losing. Just when getting blown out by a team like Purdue. Or losing to Old Dominion.

The top of the AAC would compete against most P5 teams. UCF would compete against anyone.

Again all impossible scenarios because if UCF called Bama or Ohio St or Michigan, they're laughing in our faces with a schedule request. Or even VaTech a mid tier ACC team.

So knock the schedule as if it's in our control, then declare they can't possibly compete based on the schedule that they can't force teams to participate in.

It's dumb as hell.

Same shit where UCF can't and won't possibly beat Auburn. Then after the game, "We'll they didn't want to play anyway."

Always an excuse. Always a reason to protect the brands.

Sorry for the possible triple post. On mobile and I'm not copy/pasting all this shit.

Oct 25, 2017
Devin Bush giving no fucks yesterday.
43378327_278444982796770_9189350900137151622_n.jpg

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking ahead, I'm less nervous than I was about Purdue's remaining schedule, but still not ready to relax. Iowa, Michigan State, and Wisconsin all seem like games that could go either way pretty easily, though I think we should get at least one of them. Minnesota and IU are less scary, though all normal rules go out for the bucket game, especially when one team has spoiler potential against the other. I think we'll go bowling again this year now, but I'll feel more comfortable with a solid game next week.

Last edited:

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
Nobody is saying a team is trash for losing. Just when getting blown out by a team like Purdue. Or losing to Old Dominion.

The top of the AAC would compete against most P5 teams. UCF would compete against anyone.

Again all impossible scenarios because if UCF called Bama or Ohio St or Michigan, they're laughing in our faces with a schedule request. Or even VaTech a mid tier ACC team.

So knock the schedule as if it's in our control, then declare they can't possibly compete based on the schedule that they can't force teams to participate in.

It's dumb as hell.

Same shit where UCF can't and won't possibly beat Auburn. Then after the game, "We'll they didn't want to play anyway."

Sorry for the possible triple post. On mobile and I'm not copy/pasting all this shit.

You say you would compete with most P5 schools, yet you don't have a schedule that justifies that opinion. UCF is a good team, and on any given Saturday they probably could compete with most teams, but that isn't the point. The level of competition, both talent wise and quality of team, is way lower in the AAC as it is in a P5 conference. It's not about being able to beat a P5 team, it's about having to beat 4-5 in a row, including one or two that are ranked. It's about facing off against a top 10 team playing for a potential playoff spot. I'm sorry, but it is different. Maybe you think UCF would perform just as well as Ohio State will this year if they played their exact schedule, but I frankly do not. Would y'all beat Purdue? Most likely. But that's why it's an upset.

Ultimately we have to judge teams based on how they perform against the teams on their schedule. UCF's schedule is dreadful, so it's impossible to accurately gauge how good they are and because their schedule is so bad they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Especially since they aren't like an alabama or Clemson who have been consistently getting fantastic recruiting classes, making the playoffs/high bowl games and sending tons of players to the draft. It sucks that UCF is in a situation where they can't really do much, but we still have to judge teams based on the information we have.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
You say you would compete with most P5 schools, yet you don't have a schedule that justifies that opinion. UCF is a good team, and on any given Saturday they probably could compete with most teams, but that isn't the point. The level of competition, both talent wise and quality of team, is way lower in the AAC as it is in a P5 conference. It's not about being able to beat a P5 team, it's about having to beat 4-5 in a row, including one or two that are ranked. It's about facing off against a top 10 team playing for a potential playoff spot. I'm sorry, but it is different. Maybe you think UCF would perform just as well as Ohio State will this year if they played their exact schedule, but I frankly do not. Would y'all beat Purdue? Most likely. But that's why it's an upset.

Ultimately we have to judge teams based on how they perform against the teams on their schedule. UCF's schedule is dreadful, so it's impossible to accurately gauge how good they are and because their schedule is so bad they don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. Especially since they aren't like an alabama or Clemson who have been consistently getting fantastic recruiting classes, making the playoffs/high bowl games and sending tons of players to the draft. It sucks that UCF is in a situation where they can't really do much, but we still have to judge teams based on the information we have.
You contradict yourself in the first couple sentences. UCF could compete any given Saturday? But there isn't enough data to say UCF can compete? Or are you meaning UCF can get up for one game a year while the other team just isn't "motivated."

The simple fact is that UCF is one of the best teams in the nation and has been over the last few years dating back to 2013 even when including 2015's 0-12 season.

They're an elite program with elite athletes. Recruiting? Are you talking about those super accurate stars? That's another funny point. UCF can't recruit but UCF also will be knocked for losing people to the NFL every year (which was a preseason narrative against UCF). I mean which is it?

All I can say is UCF is a top tier team and program. I can't predict the future or answer hypotheticals other than that UCF has the talent to compete with anyone in the country. AAC has been good overall since realignment has has been closer to the Big XII/Pac 12 as a conference than they have been to the MAC or MWC. All with more inherent disadvantages, less money, less media exposure, and less benefit of the doubt.

Oct 25, 2017
Looking ahead, I'm less nervous than I was about Purdue's remaining schedule, but still not ready to relax. Iowa, Michigan State, and Wisconsin all seem like games that could go either way pretty easily, though I think we should get at least one of them. Minnesota and IU are less scary, though all normal rules go out for the bucket game, especially when one team has spoiler potential against the other. I think we'll go bowling again this year now, but I'll feel more comfortable with a solid game next week.
You guys are 8 points from being undefeated and are definitely playing some good ball right now. Winning 3 or 4 of the next 5 looks very possible. Glad Michigan isn't playing you this year!

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
If this Bama steamrolls to the title I'm going to actually have a laughing fit if UCF goes undefeated and tries to claim the Natty. You don't want that Crimson smoke, they could start all second stringers and still win comfortably. Fuck it , put them in the playoff if they run the table , let them back up their braggadocio nonsense

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers

TBF your brothers down I-4 are getting good P5 games. The caveat is that they're willing to do 2 for 1s, which by all accounts your AD is refusing to do. Which is fine. My point is that there is a way to get those games, but you might not get a home game back in the bargain, or if you do it won't be equal.

Rigbones

Oct 25, 2017
Alabama's best win so far is A&M? Georgia's is South Carolina or Tennessee? Yeah I'll take a UCF with Milton playing any day over those guys.

..But UCF's schedule is objectively pretty bad. No way to prove you're with the top dogs until you're in the Peach Bowl and it's too late to be considered for the playoffs. So let 'em fucking prove it. 8-team playoff needed to happen yesterday.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
If this Bama steamrolls to the title I'm going to actually have a laughing fit if UCF goes undefeated and tries to claim the Natty. You don't want that Crimson smoke, they could start all second stringers and still win comfortably. Fuck it , put them in the playoff if they run the table , let them back up their braggadocio nonsense

If Bama wins in Baton Rouge in a couple of weeks, the rest of the season is null and void.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah maybe Bama will finally even the series.

TBF your brothers down I-4 are getting good P5 games. The caveat is that they're willing to do 2 for 1s, which by all accounts your AD is refusing to do. Which is fine. My point is that there is a way to get those games, but you might not get a home game back in the bargain, or if you do it won't be equal.
USF runs a crappy department. They don't own their stadium and don't have as much control over the gate. They're begging students to increase fees to pay for an indoor practice facility or whatever. NFL stadium helps to ensure they wouldn't have nearly as a hostile environment. UF would play us when we were off campus. Not a peep since we moved on campus.

UCF has to have 6 min games at home due to the stadium bond agreement. Doing one and dones so or 2-1 series puts that in jeopardy. And it's also no way to build a program long term.

UCF scheduled UNC when they were decent. Pitt is Pitt. We put Stanford on the schedule, that starts next year. UL was signed when they didn't suck. Maryland, Mizzou, Georgia Tech, USCe, Pedo St, etc the last few years. I mean these teams all have so many advantages. Why is it our fault they shit the bed the year we play them? Also just a lot of that has dried up. UF isn't playing us and neither is FSU. Miami was close again, but the Citrus Bowl reps got involved and started floating taking away a home game to play in the Citrus Bowl. Which kills building the program correctly, revenue, and the season ticket base.

Scheduling is really complicated.

OP
OP
ryseing

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
UCF has to have 6 min games at home due to the stadium bond agreement. Doing one and dones so or 2-1 series puts that in jeopardy. And it's also no way to build a program long term.

I understand the need for two noncon home games, but I disagree that you can't build a program long-term by doing 2 for 1s or one offs. USF is getting Texas in their building because of a 2 for 1. That's huge, and the rest of their noncon that year lines up so that if they run the table and their opponents are OK (@ Louisville, @ UF), they'll have to be in Playoff consideration.

Maybe teams are more willing to work with USF because of the less hostile home crowd-you would know better than I would. But, I really think y'all need to adopt a "play anyone, anywhere" mantra with the two noncon dates you do have. You currently have an open spot in 2020 assuming you add an FCS home game. Go call up a team you know will be good and ask for a one-off. Hell, see if you can get a neutral site game. Y'all are big enough a brand for that now I think.

It is, and I'm simplifying the circumstances around scheduling for the sake of discussion.

TheLetdown

Oct 25, 2017

As is Fresno State, Utah State, etc.

UCF doesn't need to schedule Bama to make an impact on playoff contention or to become nationally relevant (as opposed to only relevant in the areas reached by the Orlando Sentinel) , they just need to schedule some/any P5 teams. If they have a season like last year AND played 3-4 P5 team to get there, then they would have been in over one of the one-losses.

And frankly, that's the way it should be. Strength of schedule isn't just about names. It's an indicator of the attrition that occurs during the course of a normal season.

Herbstreit actually put it pretty well this weekend. It's cut short so you miss his points about scheduling P5s, but it was during this clip:

And really, none of this is rocket science or anything new. Sure, it can be fun to stomp your feet and feel cosmically wronged and all that. But all you have to do is look at places like Boise State and how they brought themselves into national relevance. The path is there.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017

USF runs a crappy department. They don't own their stadium and don't have as much control over the gate. They're begging students to increase fees to pay for an indoor practice facility or whatever. NFL stadium helps to ensure they wouldn't have nearly as a hostile environment. UF would play us when we were off campus. Not a peep since we moved on campus.

UCF scheduled UNC when they were decent. Pitt is Pitt. We put Stanford on the schedule, that starts next year. UL was signed when they didn't suck. Maryland, Mizzou, Georgia Tech, USCe, Pedo St, etc the last few years. I mean these teams all have so many advantages. Why is it our fault they shit the bed the year we play them? Also just a lot of that has dried up. UF isn't playing us and neither is FSU. Miami was close again, but the Citrus Bowl reps got involved and started floating taking away a home game to play in the Citrus Bowl. Which kills building the program correctly, revenue, and the season ticket base.

If things keep going the way they are, then don't worry buddy UF would love to play you so you could show the world how are you're the best team and you deserve to be in the playoffs and whatever it is UCF fans think of their program.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Boise has never scheduled "3 or 4" P5 teams in a season to my knowledge. That's nearly impossible to pull off if you're not independent.

I also just listed a bunch of P5 teams UCF has recently scheduled that for some reason just got ignored. Just like what happens when we beat them I guess due to their lack of motivation.

As for national relevance, UCF has been a topic of discussion all year and has been putting together a strong resume. They keep winning and winning at a high level. They have a similar resume so far as TCU before they were elevated. One more NYD win and they would have matched Boise St. I think BSU has 3 NYD wins, IIRC.

Kirk's shitty ass elitist rant is bullshit. He shit all over UCF out of nowhere. Fucking calling Fresno St (who lost to Minnesota) more worthy. Glad Ohio St got shit on yesterday and he had to call it.

Edit: As for last year, UCF had 2 scheduled. One they destroyed the other lost due to hurricane. Even with that, 3 loss teams were still ahead of UCF. Mississippi fucking St was ahead. Let's put to rest adding some other random P5 would have made a difference. The narrative is that G5 is inherently inferior and even the bottom of the P5 is just on a different level and better than bottom and mid tier G5. That's how they approach it. With that in mind, there is no viable path. Houston 2015 or whatever is them blowing smoke up your butt.

Last edited:

Deleted member 42055

Banned
Apr 12, 2018

Lmaoooo I tip my cap, you're definitely all in. I hope to see it

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Go Gata. So excited for the trip to Jax this weekend. The 2019 schedule is perfect . Can't wait for the Miami game.

Morrison71

Oct 27, 2017
I'm an Iowa fan so I might be a little biased. I feel pretty good about Iowa vs Purdue but will feel better after seeing how Purdue does against a tougher defense like Michigan St next week. Iowa's defense is top 10 in the country easily so that will keep them likely in any game. But Iowa also has another tough game at Penn St. this week, so it will be interesting to see how that goes as well.

Karl2177

Oct 25, 2017
As is Fresno State, Utah State, etc.

UCF doesn't need to schedule Bama to make an impact on playoff contention or to become nationally relevant (as opposed to only relevant in the areas reached by the Orlando Sentinel) , they just need to schedule some/any P5 teams. If they have a season like last year AND played 3-4 P5 team to get there, then they would have been in over one of the one-losses.

And frankly, that's the way it should be. Strength of schedule isn't just about names. It's an indicator of the attrition that occurs during the course of a normal season.

Herbstreit actually put it pretty well this weekend. It's cut short so you miss his points about scheduling P5s, but it was during this clip:

And really, none of this is rocket science or anything new. Sure, it can be fun to stomp your feet and feel cosmically wronged and all that. But all you have to do is look at places like Boise State and how they brought themselves into national relevance. The path is there.

Kirk's a piece of shit though. He initially points to both Sagarin and S&P within the top 25 to discredit UCF. Then when he tries to expand it to multiple teams, he only uses Sagarin. Like there's that whole other column that has UCF higher than both of them. Ultimately only 1 stat should matter: money record.

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
You contradict yourself in the first couple sentences. UCF could compete any given Saturday? But there isn't enough data to say UCF can compete? Or are you meaning UCF can get up for one game a year while the other team just isn't "motivated."

The simple fact is that UCF is one of the best teams in the nation and has been over the last few years dating back to 2013 even when including 2015's 0-12 season.

They're an elite program with elite athletes. Recruiting? Are you talking about those super accurate stars? That's another funny point. UCF can't recruit but UCF also will be knocked for losing people to the NFL every year (which was a preseason narrative against UCF). I mean which is it?

All I can say is UCF is a top tier team and program. I can't predict the future or answer hypotheticals other than that UCF has the talent to compete with anyone in the country. AAC has been good overall since realignment has has been closer to the Big XII/Pac 12 as a conference than they have been to the MAC or MWC. All with more inherent disadvantages, less money, less media exposure, and less benefit of the doubt.

It's not about motivation. There is a clear difference between playing an absolute cakewalk schedule with one decent team - and that team is an AAC team - and playing a P5 schedule. I'm saying if UCF were able to schedule a Texas A&M or a Washington State or a TCU or whatever good but not top 10 team as their big OOC game I give them a good chance to win. At the very least the can win.

But it's a different beast when you have to play 4-5 straight P5 teams, and during that stretch you have to play a top 10 team vying for the playoffs. That's a different level of competition and a different level of pressure. That is what UCF has not and cannot show.

And come on my dude, talent doesn't matter? Not every four or five Star pans out, but quite clearly there is a general talent-success ratio, especially if we are talking about sustained success. And while you erroneously label my argument as contradictory here you are bashing recruiting as an accurate measure of a teams potential or quality yet you say UCF has the talent to compete with anybody in the country. And yeah, losing players to the draft impacts how people view your potential for the next season if you aren't a team loaded with talent.

I feel like you have this distorted perception of UCF, the AAC, and college football in general so I have a feeling it doesn't matter what I say you've planted your flag.

Last thing I have to point out, how has UCF been elite since 2013 when they lost 4 games in 2014, every game in 2015, and 7 games in 2016? And that's in the AAC. That's not elite...

AquaRegia

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of back and forth here. Let's all come together in the spirit of brotherhood, and make fun of Urban and OSU together.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It's not about motivation. There is a clear difference between playing an absolute cakewalk schedule with one decent team - and that team is an AAC team - and playing a P5 schedule. I'm saying if UCF were able to schedule a Texas A&M or a Washington State or a TCU or whatever good but not top 10 team as their big OOC game I give them a good chance to win. At the very least the can win.

But it's a different beast when you have to play 4-5 straight P5 teams, and during that stretch you have to play a top 10 team vying for the playoffs. That's a different level of competition and a different level of pressure. That is what UCF has not and cannot show.

And come on my dude, talent doesn't matter? Not every four or five Star pans out, but quite clearly there is a general talent-success ratio, especially if we are talking about sustained success. And while you erroneously label my argument as contradictory here you are bashing recruiting as an accurate measure of a teams potential or quality yet you say UCF has the talent to compete with anybody in the country. And yeah, losing players to the draft impacts how people view your potential for the next season if you aren't a team loaded with talent.

I feel like you have this distorted perception of UCF, the AAC, and college football in general so I have a feeling it doesn't matter what I say you've planted your flag.

Last thing I have to point out, how has UCF been elite since 2013 when they lost 4 games in 2014, every game in 2015, and 7 games in 2016? And that's in the AAC. That's not elite...
3 top 10 AP rankings under 3 different coaches in 5 years. Two finishes. One in progress. Please name the list of programs that have pulled that off.

Again if it's so easy, there should be a long list in the G5 especially since it's just so easy to win.

Also, I didn't bash recruiting, I bashed stars and clinging to those as if anywhere near the amount of staffing exists to truly evaluate Hs players across the country. UCF's 2017 team was full of players from the 2015 0-12 team.

Edit: And I am perfectly in tune with the college football landscape and probably know too much. Money and brands rule and anything that challenges that too harshly is squeezed out. I also know enough about sports that a playoff that eliminates half the field before the season starts isn't a legitimate playoff. I know bullshit when I see it: "everyone has an equal chance!" I see too much of it in real life, so I have a good idea when I see it in CFB too.

Last edited:

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
No team that's lost every game one season and 7 more the following one can be labeled "elite in the last five years".

That's part of UCF's problem. Having a good run is great, but let's stop pretending they've proven they can consistently win year in and out. They're off to a hell of a start right now, but chill out.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The fact is UCF even despite 2015, is still one of the best programs in the country the last 5 years. Did I say the best? No. I simply said one of the best.

2 top 10 finishes, 2 NYD wins, 3 conference titles, producing high draft picks, producing under 3 different coaching staffs.

There is a very short list of programs that have accomplished that.

And UCF hasn't "just started." Since the mid 2000s, they've added other top 25 finishes, other conference titles, etc. Even with bad seasons sprinkled in. It's a run on par with what TCU did and approaching Boise if they can finish out the season and reach another NY bowl.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
The fact is UCF even despite 2015, is still one of the best programs in the country the last 5 years. Did I say the best? No. I simply said one of the best.

2 top 10 finishes, 2 NYD wins, 3 conference titles, producing high draft picks, producing under 3 different coaching staffs.

There is a very short list of programs that have accomplished that.

And UCF hasn't "just started." Since the mid 2000s, they've added other top 25 finishes, other conference titles, etc. Even with bad seasons sprinkled in. It's a run on par with what TCU did and approaching Boise if they can finish out the season and reach another NY bowl.
Nah man, I looked at UCF's record since the mid to early 2000's something like 110-93, some of that in the CUSA & MAC ; For reference since someone brought up Boise, they had only like 32 losses. That's what everyone is talking about. It took Boise near a decade to get to the big stage, and when they went Undefeated and beat a #4 in the BCS ranked Undefeated TCU in 2009, they didn't claim a national title either.

2002 Mike Kruczek 7–5 6–2 2nd (East)

2003 Kruczek/Alan Gooch§ 3–9 2–6 5th (East)

2004 George O'Leary 0–11 0–8 7th (East)

MAC Record: 10–25 8–16
Conference USA (2005–2012)
2005 George O'Leary 8–5 7–1 1st (East) L C-USA Championship Game, Tulsa 27–44
L Hawai'i Bowl, Nevada 48–49OT

2006 George O'Leary 4–8 3–5 4th (East)

2007 George O'Leary 10–4 7–1 1st (East) W C-USA Championship Game, Tulsa 44–25
L Liberty Bowl, Mississippi State 3–10

2008 George O'Leary 4–8 3–5 4th (East)

2009 George O'Leary 8–5 6–2 2nd (East) L St. Petersburg Bowl, Rutgers 24–45

2010 George O'Leary 11–3 7–1 1st (East) W C-USA Championship Game, SMU 17–7
W Liberty Bowl, Georgia 10–6 20 21
2011 George O'Leary 5–7 3–5 4th (East)

2012 George O'Leary 10–4 7–1 T–1st (East) L C-USA Championship Game, Tulsa 27–33OT
W Beef 'O' Brady's Bowl, Ball State 38–17

C-USA Record: 60–44 43–21
American Athletic Conference (2013–present)
2013 George O'Leary 12–1 8–0 1st W Fiesta Bowl, Baylor 52–42† 12 10
2014 George O'Leary 9–4 7–1 T–1st L St. Petersburg Bowl, NC State 27-34

2015 O'Leary/Danny Barrett§ 0–12 0–8 6th (East)

2016 Scott Frost 6–7 4–4 3rd (East) L Cure Bowl, Arkansas State 13-31

2017 Scott Frost 13–0 8–0 1st (East) W AAC Championship Game, Memphis 62–552OT
W Peach Bowl, Auburn 34–27† 7 6
American Record: 40–24 27–13

Boise for reference, note there were 4 1 loss seasons and even a bad 4 loss season before they went undefeated and beat OU to get themselves on the big stage:

2002 WAC 1st 12 1 Won Humanitarian Bowl vs. Iowa State 34–16 15 12
2003 WAC 1st 13 1 Won Fort Worth Bowl vs. TCU 34–31 16 15
2004 WAC 1st 11 1 Lost Liberty Bowl vs. Louisville 40–44 12 13
2005 WAC T–1st 9 4 Lost MPC Computers Bowl vs. Boston College 21–27 - -
2006 WAC[22] 1st 13 0 Won Fiesta Bowl vs. Oklahoma 43–42 in OT 5 6
2007 WAC 2nd 10 3 Lost Hawaii Bowl vs. East Carolina 38–41 - -
2008 WAC 1st 12 1 Lost Poinsettia Bowl vs. TCU 16–17 11 13
2009 WAC 1st 14 0 Won Fiesta Bowl vs. TCU 17–10 4 4
2010 WAC T–1st 12 1 Won Maaco Bowl Las Vegas vs. Utah 26–3 7 9
2011 Mountain West 2nd 12 1 Won Maaco Bowl Las Vegas vs. Arizona State 56–24 8 6
2012 Mountain West T–1st 11 2 Won Maaco Bowl Las Vegas vs. Washington 28–26 18 14
2013 Mountain West 2nd (Mountain) 8 5 Lost Hawaii Bowl vs. Oregon State 23–38 - -
2014 Mountain West 1st (Mountain) 12 2 Won Mountain West Championship Game vs. Fresno State 28–14
Won Fiesta Bowl vs. Arizona 38–30 16 16
2015 Mountain West T–2nd (Mountain) 9 4 Won Poinsettia Bowl vs. Northern Illinois 55–7 - -
2016 Mountain West T–1st (Mountain) 10 3 Lost Cactus Bowl vs. Baylor 12–31 - -
2017 Mountain West 1st (Mountain) 11 3 Won Mountain West Championship Game vs. Fresno State 17–14
Won Las Vegas Bowl vs. Oregon 38–28 22 22

So, like we all are with you, system is broken, but UCF has to keep proving itself. Just to give you another reference UNC has 103 losses in the same time frame, or Arkansas only has 90. So there, since 2002 UCF has been a Mid-tier P5 school on an up swing with good looking prospects. Yes it sucks that G5 schools don't get in the playoff without scheduling difficulties, but even over the last 16 years or so, playing not the hardest teams, the results aren't there, and it is this shit that makes people question the validity of the quality of the team.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Nah man, I looked at UCF's record since the mid to early 2000's something like 110-93, some of that in the CUSA & MAC ; For reference since someone brought up Boise, they had only like 32 losses. That's what everyone is talking about. It took Boise near a decade to get to the big stage, and when they went Undefeated and beat a #4 in the BCS ranked Undefeated TCU in 2009, they didn't claim a national title either.

Boise for reference, note there were 4 1 loss seasons and even a bad 4 loss season before they went undefeated and beat OU to get themselves on the big stage:

So, like we all are with you, system is broken, but UCF has to keep proving itself. Just to give you another reference UNC has 103 losses in the same time frame, or Arkansas only has 90. So there, since 2002 UCF has been a Mid-tier P5 school on an up swing with good looking prospects. Yes it sucks that G5 schools don't get in the playoff without scheduling difficulties, but even over the last 16 years or so, playing not the hardest teams, the results aren't there, and it is this shit that makes people question the validity of the quality of the team.
I've just been lectured on how wins don't matter in the American. So why the hell would they in the WAC and MWC?

I'm talking end of season results. I already posted the summary. Plenty of schools, P5 included, would kill for those results. The NYD games, rankings, etc.

And for Boise St at the end of the day where are they? Still stuck in the MWC. PAC 12 went after Utah and Colorado instead of them. Boise is a damn good program and I do wish we were as consistent as them, but just sitting down and waiting to be called on isn't working.

UCF is taking a different approach. Not our problem if they didn't claim a title. Nobody was stopping them.

By the way, are we even sure Oklahoma was motivated when they played Boise?

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
By the way, are we even sure Oklahoma was motivated when they played Boise?

Oklahoma had a string of blow out bowl losses at that point, that senior class finished by going 1-3 in bowls. They were already a meme about being an automatic bowl loss. Fuck yes they were motivated to try and break their embarrassing streak.

There is a reason this was a meme:

stoops-bcs.png

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I don't know. I don't think they were. I mean Boise isn't even a state! And they were mighty Oklahoma.

But whatever I've said what I could. Fuck this dumbass system. I'm all in for team 2-3 SEC teams and ND getting in.

Go Knights! National title defense continues.

Last edited:

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know. I don't think they were. I mean Boise isn't even a state! And they were mighty Oklahoma.

But whatever I've said what I could. Fuck this dumbass system. I'm all in for team 2-3 SEC teams and ND getting in.

Go Knights! National title defense continues.
Sigh.

Let's give the '06 title to Boise State instead of UF, while we're at it bring along that '09 title from Bama and give it to Boise State.

Actually, shit the '08 Utah team should steal another Natty from UF too. Darn it.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Sigh.

Let's give the '06 title to Boise State instead of UF, while we're at it bring along that '09 title from Bama and give it to Boise State.

Actually, shit the '08 Utah team should steal another Natty from UF too. Darn it.
Don't care. You can do what you want. They can do what they want. That's what college football is all about and how the system is designed. Nobody is taking away from the CFP or BCS champs.

In the record books at least and it is recognized formally.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How quickly we forget the implosion of the Big East in football, a conference that been to multiple BCS championship games, had blue bloods etc, but quickly fell apart quick when people came asking for their better schools. It doesn't take much. The Big XII isn't as stable as people think, and it only takes one school like Texas or OU peacing out to nuke a conference that isn't in a much different position than the Big East was.
1. The Big East had zero bluebloods
2. The Big East had major problems with how it was ran, teams left because the catholic schools hated the football schools
3. Miami was the Big East school with a MNC, and they did it once.
4. The Big 12 imploding would have nothing to do with autobids, but with how poorly it is ran.

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It's dumb as hell.

Uhh.... UCF literally played Michigan just 2 years ago.

Yeah Michigan would never do a H&H with UCF, but UCF requiring it is ridiculous. Look at how Houston scheduled in 2016 to get an idea of how a G5 can have a good enough schedule to be a serious CFP contender. (you just cant blow games against the weaker competition like Houston did)

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
1. The Big East had zero bluebloods
2. The Big East had major problems with how it was ran, teams left because the catholic schools hated the football schools
3. Miami was the Big East school with a MNC, and they did it once.
4. The Big 12 imploding would have nothing to do with autobids, but with how poorly it is ran.
Teams left because ESPN was directing them to, members got picked off at ESPN's discretion. Yeah the structure was inherently unstable, but once the plan was to consolidate to 5 P5 conferences, the one plan they did have to add strong teams blew up. TCU, Boise, UCF, etc. were all on the path to be elevated to shore up the FB side with the Catholic schools on board.

At that point, it made no sense to keep the league as it was. UCF did take advantage, though, and got one year in as an AQ team, eventually dominating Baylor.

Uhh.... UCF literally played Michigan just 2 years ago.

Yeah Michigan would never do a H&H with UCF, but UCF requiring it is ridiculous. Look at how Houston scheduled in 2016 to get an idea of how a G5 can have a good enough schedule to be a serious CFP contender. (you just cant blow games against the weaker competition like Houston did)
Houston got a hot P5 team. But nobody can predict when a team would be good. We've already been through this, but it's an impossible standard. There isn't even a point of going through it again because there are zero scenarios where a G5 would be let in.

One and dones would destroy the program. You would lose home games and kill the season ticket base for a one time payday. UCF also scheduled Ohio St and Penn St. OSU was a buy game. There is a reason basically only FCS does them. UCF did them for a bit, but the calculation was made that it hurt the program more than it helped - which is true.

Stanford and Pitt are next year, assuming Stanford doesn't buy the game out. They come to Orlando first as part of a 2 game series. But even then, the standard now shifts to 3 straight undefeated seasons. Not realistic or rational.

El_Chino

Oct 25, 2017
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Utah_Utes_football_team

They didn't call for Florida to disown it or anything, but that Utah team deserves to be recognized. They were damn good. Two top 10 wins, four top 25.
Oh, I'm definitely not disregarding their achievements at all. They were a great team and beat Bama (but many say they didn't care at that point). I'm just saying they weren't BCS champions.

Why isn't the 2004 Utah named National Champions as well then?

Status
Not open for further replies.