Mar 9, 2018
I just started a new semester.

I am so far totally overwhelmed.

I made a mistake again in thinking that these would be easier classes.

I am taking a gender and women's study capstone class.
Every week I have to read some feminist theory and write a lengthy response.
When I'm not doing that I have to plan out this elaborate project that will basically sum up my gender studies experience. I have this idea I'm working on but it's a huge stretch.
I am trying to use the book the second sex to show that men use poetic license to create the reality of women, and they essentially view her not as she is but according to the qualities they desire in her. Essentially they make her the other.

I have to write ten pages using the quotes and I have been basically fighting tooth and nail so far to only do five pages.

Then if she accepts my idea, I have to convert this idea into a website or a PowerPoint or some type of presentable format.

Then I have an African American history class. Schools are really vicious with online software. I just got out of class and I spent the next three hours reading and answering the corresponding questions to only 1 chapter when two are due. The class has a quiz every week on each chapter is dense.
The teacher will provide us with an outline for what to look for in each chapter.
I can only hope that the outline will reflect the material we're quizzed on.

I am just sort of in awe at like the time committment required for this class.

The teacher told us that for a three hr class like this one you should allocate 9 hrs to study each week.
I have only ever spent that much time on an English class. That is crazy.

Finally, tomorrow I start art history class;
I have only heard horrible things so far.
Essentially what I've been told is this class will suck all your time.

I'm hanging in there though.

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017
It's probably best to drop a class so you can manage your class load better. It's better to pace yourself than become overwhelmed and fail your classes, despite wanting to just get your classes done. Sucks, I know.

xxracerxx

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me this is not a 100 or 200 level class. Those are the absolute worst art history classes and just require you to memorize bullshit.

I suggest taking 300 or 400 level art history classes, they tend to be more about writing about the art and using your own interpretation.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Man if you think college is taking all your time just wait until you hit the real world.
Personally, I found College WAY easier than High School, and the real world (once you actually have a job, not the searching part) WAY easier than college. High School has so many out of class commitments each day (homework for each class) and spending way more time in the classroom vs College

Mar 3, 2019
I just started a new semester.

I am so far totally overwhelmed.

I made a mistake again in thinking that these would be easier classes.

I am taking a gender and women's study capstone class.
Every week I have to read some feminist theory and write a lengthy response.
When I'm not doing that I have to plan out this elaborate project that will basically sum up my gender studies experience. I have this idea I'm working on but it's a huge stretch.
I am trying to use the book the second sex to show that men use poetic license to create the reality of women, and they essentially view her not as she is but according to the qualities they desire in her. Essentially they make her the other.

I have to write ten pages using the quotes and I have been basically fighting tooth and nail so far to only do five pages.

Then if she accepts my idea, I have to convert this idea into a website or a PowerPoint or some type of presentable format.

Then I have an African American history class. Schools are really vicious with online software. I just got out of class and I spent the next three hours reading and answering the corresponding questions to only 1 chapter when two are due. The class has a quiz every week on each chapter is dense.
The teacher will provide us with an outline for what to look for in each chapter.
I can only hope that the outline will reflect the material we're quizzed on.

I am just sort of in awe at like the time committment required for this class.

The teacher told us that for a three hr class like this one you should allocate 9 hrs to study each week.
I have only ever spent that much time on an English class. That is crazy.

I have only heard horrible things so far.
Essentially what I've been told is this class will suck all your time.

I'm hanging in there though.
Bruh you got it easy. My animation program REQUIRED you to be in the lab during the weekend and at night during the week. I did that while taking 5 classes a semester and working 30 hours a week.

Ferda

The Fallen
Jan 25, 2019
Portland, OR
Try working 3 jobs and taking 4 classes like me shits overwhelming, when I do finally have time to sleep my mind won't shut off to actually get sleep.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Man if you think college is taking all your time just wait until you hit the real world.
13 years after graduating college, I find the two to be very different. College busy and real world busy feel very different. My more-immature mind struggled with the stress of school, but also none of that stress was life and death important. In the real world you're older and more mature, so you can handle things better, but the stakes are higher, but at least you're getting paid!

Reading the OP's post though, god damn do I not miss bullshit busy work/homework.

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Personally, I found College WAY easier than High School, and the real world (once you actually have a job, not the searching part) WAY easier than college. High School has so many out of class commitments each day (homework for each class) and spending way more time in the classroom vs College
100% how I feel about College. Can definitely be difficult and extremely stressful, but I feel like I have more time to myself (even if it's just an hour to an hour and a half a day) compared to what I had to deal with in HS, which was none stop work, and only having a little bit of time over the weekends because I also had homework to do on weekends back then.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017

Same. I was an okay student in high school but between football and work, stuff like homework often took a backseat and put me in a lot of grade trouble. Graduated b-/c+, which was fine.

Got to college, structured my schedule so I only had class at most 5 hours a day, 4 days a week, dropped football, picked up a job on campus, graduated with honors. It was SOOOO much easier than high school because I could work on my schedule.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like I have way more free time in the real world than college (especially grad school). Real world I put my 40 hours and go home. Weekends I don't even think about work unless there's a deadline to hit. College was all consuming 24/7, especially grad school.

I don't have a family though so that may skew my perspective a lot.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Look into resources your school may have. They usually have workshops on how to manage your time, make a schedule, and tips on different methods of studying.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I had a really hard time in college too. I was dismissed my first year for poor marks. It took me six years to get a four year degree. It's been years now and I am proud of the work I did to turn it around but it was the toughest six years of my life for sure. It is hard to imagine what it will feel like to finish while you're working so hard, but eventually you are going to feel the incredible relief of having finally finished. Try to keep in mind that every little thing you finish - every paper, every test, every class - is something you will never have to do again. It's completed, it's done, it's progress. That's something that kept me going through my college years.

I'm doing well now. I have a good job, I'm married, etc. Nothing has been as difficult for me psychologically as my college years. But for me it got a lot better as soon as it was over. So keep your focus on that. You can do it. I'm glad to hear you're hanging in there. I know you've been through a lot but you can definitely get through this too. ✊ 💙

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody feels overworked and shares it.

Everybody: Pfft you don't know anything and your feelings aren't valid suck it up!

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Going back and listening to "2009". Damn.
Please tell me this is not a 100 or 200 level class. Those are the absolute worst art history classes and just require you to memorize bullshit.

I suggest taking 300 or 400 level art history classes, they tend to be more about writing about the art and using your own interpretation.

Yeah this is a 100 level. The syllabus makes it seem like a lot of quizzes. That is what is killing me about these classes, I not only have to read everything once, but a second and maybe third time as each class is giving a quiz almost every week.
Bruh you got it easy. My animation program REQUIRED you to be in the lab during the weekend and at night during the week. I did that while taking 5 classes a semester and working 30 hours a week.

I took five classes once while working 30 hrs. Still not sure how I did it.

Oh and everyone I am also working.

Mar 29, 2018
No way. I went to uni in the UK where it's nowhere near as bad, USA university is bizarrely heavy in terms of time requirement. Life is way, way easier and more structured (usually) outside of university.

Another one of the several reasons that university is totally overrated.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm also in school after working full time for years. Honestly, I'm loving it. Feel focused as hell and I don't wanna work again. Lol.

Mar 3, 2019
Yeah this is a 100 level. The syllabus makes it seem like a lot of quizzes. That is what is killing me about these classes, I not only have to read everything once, but a second and maybe third time as each class is giving a quiz almost every week.

I took five classes once while working 30 hrs. Still not sure how I did it.

Oh and everyone I am also working.

Keep your chin up, all that work will feel alot better once you're out of college. Art History 100 classes are just lame since they are all memorization and times that you will never use at any point later in life. Just grind and get through it. Whats your degree choice?

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
Personally, the "real world" is more time-consuming than my time in college, but also much more concrete and less stressful (on a day-to-day basis, not overall financial or life goal stress) than high school or college. I actually know why I'm doing things and feel satisfied with doing them now. I despised the arbitrary-ness of school work.

Murfield

Oct 27, 2017
I recall working 100 hour weeks for the final year of my undergrad, and my masters year.

Its a lot easier if you work towards a goal and really want it.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Somebody feels overworked and shares it.

Everybody: Pfft you don't know anything and your feelings aren't valid suck it up!

"Jesus, this is so stressful I actually think I'm losing it"

"lol you've got it easy, wait till they take off the TRAINING WHEELS and you have to survive in the REAL WORLD"

Best of luck to you, OP. I know how hard it can get when you're studying and working at the same time.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
You have to write a ten-page essay that may be declined? That's really lame, your professor should accept some sort of outline before making you write that much.

Though assuming it's double-spaced it shouldn't be too hard to BS some filler.

Personally, the "real world" is more time-consuming than my time in college, but also much more concrete and less stressful (on a day-to-day basis, not overall financial or life goal stress) than high school or college. I actually know why I'm doing things and feel satisfied with doing them now. I despised the arbitrary-ness of school work.

Yeah, looking back at my time in college has really become a "Youth is wasted on the young" kind of thing to me." I thought I was being run ragged while I was working during grad school, but I had time to cook, hang out with friends, keep up on new video games, read for pleasure. Most of that is out of the window unless I make a very deliberate effort to carve out time.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
One of the things you can actually learn from college that's useful in the real world is time management. Learn what you can handle, talk to people before taking a class to know what to expect, and plan well enough so you have enough free time so as to not lose your sanity.

Course you may already be doomed anyway cause it sounds like an arts degree (not really but then your key focus is making connections).

Tlaloc

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like college OP, hang in there tho it will pay eventually. Also no shame in dropping a class if you need to better than taking a hit to your GPA.

Oct 30, 2017
I remember the second semester of my freshman year being an absolute shitshow. I was taking shit like analytical geometry and an intro Russian language course. And CoD: MW1 had just come out so 18 year-old me could not get his priorities straight. I scraped out with like a 2.5 GPA that semester.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017

Wait until you have to work every day to sustain the family you rarely see.

I spend far less time working now that I have a 9-5, then when I was in college. In college you work 4-8 hours a day to figure out what work you have to do at home.

Taking multiple upper level electives per semester should only be done if you're already very entrenched in your major and have consistent, effective study habits. Just doing it to be doing it in the middle of your freshmen or sophomore year is an easy way to get burned out. There should always be at least one or two low-stress classes on your plate unless you're pushing to meet tough degree requirements by a deadline.

ReginaldXIV

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
Sounds like you need to structure your time better since you never mentioned you're also working full-time while taking classes because all that seems like a light workload for a college semester.

You might also have writer's block which is why you're feeling overwhelmed with all the writing. I would say don't second guess yourself too hard, have more confidence in your ideas and just start writing and coming up with ideas even if you think they might be stupid. Then have a third party proof-read if you can and you can edit from there.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
Do you work too or are you just going to school full time? If you're majoring in gender/women's studies, be prepared to have to do this all over again while working when you inevitably need to go back to school for a more marketable degree as BAs in the humanities don't get you very far in the workforce unfortunately.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Real world where you don't have to study for exams, quizes, work late nights into the midnight hours for projects?

Like, I know work can suck, but having had the taste of the work life of coding in an office envrionment for over two years... school is a fucking nightmare compared to the real world work envrionment where you have free time + money to spend.

As someone in CS, I can't fucking imagine anyone who took this degree and goes "man working sucks, college was where it was at!"

Also OP, I know how you feel. My advisor royally fucked up and in order to graduate this semester, I need to take two extra classes, six classes total.

So... yea.

MindofKB

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bay Area
OP, as a lot of folks who are commenting have conveyed, you're not alone and welcome to the complexity of college.

One of the core life skills you're going to learn in college is time management.

When you're done with school and enter the full-time workforce, hopefully you'll be able to apply your time and project management experience in school to your occupation.

Hang in there and remember, the people around you are going through the same thing and some of them are in even worse situations.

dark_prinny

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Try to work full time and studying a second degree like me atm.

Finals just a few days ahead. Fun times :)

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
Another vote for college was way harder than a career (obviously just an anecdote, not always true). I had a really hard time with college, both education and social aspects. Stick with it OP, I don't know what the job market is like for your field, but hopefully you'll be able to get a job easily.

thewienke

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe it's just the places where I worked but I thought college was harder and I was surrounded by incredibly capable individuals.

Most work places at middle management seem to be filled with C students who are highly, highly specialized without a broad base of knowledge. I've worked with so many people over the years that don't really do a lot of work also. Then I've seen managers that feel the need to put in 80 hours a week so I guess it depends. But nobody is giving you final exams or anything that require learning a whole hell of a lot.

I also credit that job specialization with destroying that broader base of knowledge because eventually you forget nearly everything that you learned in school so I'm probably being overly harsh toward past coworkers.

As a sidenote to how easy working can be, I've met far too many parents that view work as way easier than going home and having to deal with their kids.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland
Welcome to college life. If you're overwhelmed, don't be afraid to drop a class.

I had a lot going on in life at the time and had to make some sacrifices in order to stick with it. It was worth it for me. Also for the US and assuming it's still used, ratemyprofessor was a great site when choosing between different instructors for classes.

OP
OP
Mar 9, 2018
Sounds like you need to structure your time better since you never mentioned you're also working full-time while taking classes because all that seems like a light workload for a college semester.

You might also have writer's block which is why you're feeling overwhelmed with all the writing. I would say don't second guess yourself too hard, have more confidence in your ideas and just start writing and coming up with ideas even if you think they might be stupid. Then have a third party proof-read if you can and you can edit from there.

I have never had a problem with time management before. Typically I would just start something and then finish it then move onto the next.

What's happening is this one class is making me do a bullshit interactive reading thing that ends up taking me multiple hours.

I hate online components to class.
I have ADHD so when I read something I have to read it like five times to get it.
So for this class I have a quiz corresponding to every reading so I have to reread at least thirty pages frequently.

What I usually did with my other classes is I would figure out how I can get ahead on the assignments . Two of my classes I finished in the first month as I was allowed to get ahead.

These classes aren't allowing me to get ahead.

I don't think I have a writing block. I do have mental exhaustion from being depressed and stressed from school and work with no breaks for five years.

Kurita

Oct 26, 2017
La France
Reading stories like these I feel like I've miraculously dodged bullets my entire college life (I majored in Japanese Language and Civilization in a French university fwiw), whether it was during my bachelor years or my master.
Never had to pull all-nighters, never felt like I was falling behind... despite being a bit lazy. Felt like a walk in the park compared to high school, studying what I really wanted definitely helped.

Guess it depends on the degree, I barely had classes that required writing papers.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Your teacher is fucking with you, those classes definitely don't need 9 hours for 3 course credits if you regularly use 30 minutes a day to study or gather material.

But, you do need to learn how to compartmentalize your time so it's not wasted. It does get easier, and you'll soon see that a lot of the work you're doing now is translatable to other classes, so keep at it.