Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Get ready for the next cable-like streaming bundle: Comcast later this month will launch a three-way bundle — with Peacock, Netflix and Apple TV+ — offered at a deep discount, Comcast chief Brian Roberts said.

Dubbed StreamSaver, the bundle will be available to all Comcast broadband, TV and mobile customers, Roberts said, speaking Tuesday at MoffettNathanson's 2024 Media, Internet and Communications Conference in New York.

The three streaming services, Peacock, Netflix and Apple TV+, will "come at a vastly reduced price to anything available today," Roberts said, although he didn't reveal any pricing. The goal is to "add value to consumers" and "take dollars out" of other people's streaming businesses, he added, while reinforcing Comcast's broadband service offerings.

variety.com

Comcast to Launch Peacock, Netflix and Apple TV+ Bundle at a ‘Vastly Reduced Price’

Comcast later this month will launch a streaming bundle with Peacock, Netflix and Apple TV+ at a deep discount, Comcast chief Brian Roberts said.

DrFunk

Oct 25, 2017
The irony of something called "streamsaver" yet it's basically a cable bundle isn't lost on me

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to say this is like cable even though it's - as someone who actively paid for cable as an adult for many many years - nowhere near cable still.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
People are going to say this is like cable even though it's - as someone who actively paid for cable as an adult for many many years - nowhere near cable still.

Step by step. Aggregation of channels. Ads during content. Only thing missing is useless news. You just get more choice and on-demand content so I guess it's not cable per se.

-Pyromaniac-

Oct 25, 2017
It's all eco systems in the end. That's what cable companies need. You get people to have a bundled streaming promo, then you sell em the internet or the phone etc at discounts based on terms and on it goes.

Ecosystems are everything.

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
Is it going to be cheaper than $6.99, Brian? Because Apple doesn't interest me, Xfinity already gives me Peacock for free, so that's the price of whenever I want to sign up for Netflix for a month.

Hope this helps those that want a cheaper option for more choice.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
Should probably read "at initially vastly reduced price".

Also, can we get a unified interface for streaming services.

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't understand why Netflix would agree to this unless they're not compromising the rate on their end.

Book One

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you have to have a Comcast service already, soooo….its less 'cable-like' and more 'still cable' to me.

Last edited:

Ensorcell

Oct 27, 2017
I understand why Apple would be interested, but why Netflix would agree is a mystery unless Comcast gave them a sweetheart deal.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Step by step. Aggregation of channels. Ads during content. Only thing missing is useless news. You just get more choice and on-demand content so I guess it's not cable per se.

..more choice and actual on-demand content are massive differences lol.

Not to mention the bill cost. The cheapest cable TV plan in my area costs $163 for the first month, $123 for the next 11 months, then back to $163 for the next year, then keeps going up year to year until it hits $230. (currently! on top of whatever other bullshit hidden fees they add in on top of that lol)

You could pay for Netflix Standard w/ no ads, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ & Hulu & ESPN with no ads, Apple TV, Peacock w/ no ads, Paramount+ & Showtime with no ads, and Max w/ no ads and it's still like half the cost of that cable. (for the first 2 years)

This is why I mentioned actually paid for cable. A lot of people online who go "omg it's just like cable" like, never actually paid for cable. Cable television is expensive as fuck.

e:

Oh yeah also cable TV pretty much ubiquitously had annual contracts so you HAD to pay for it for a whole year before cancelling unless you wanted to pay an even bigger fee. :)

Basically the idea that it's a step by step encroaching towards cable TV is nonsensical, we're several galaxies away from streaming being anywhere near as bad as cable TV.

Last edited:

Native_Vel

Jun 5, 2022

Yup.

It would be cable if consumers no longer had the option to select their services (Netflix, Max) à la carte.

I can still just subscribe to Apple TV+ and not worry about paying for Netflix or Peacock.

Vomiaouaf

Oct 27, 2017
..more choice and actual on-demand content are massive differences lol.

Not to mention the bill cost. The cheapest cable TV plan in my area costs $163 for the first month, $123 for the next 11 months, then back to $163 for the next year, then keeps going up year to year until it hits $230. (currently! on top of whatever other bullshit hidden fees they add in on top of that lol)

You could pay for Netflix Standard w/ no ads, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ & Hulu & ESPN with no ads, Apple TV, Peacock w/ no ads, Paramount+ & Showtime with no ads, and Max w/ no ads and it's still like half the cost of that cable. (for the first 2 years)

This is why I mentioned actually paid for cable. A lot of people online who go "omg it's just like cable" like, never actually paid for cable. Cable television is expensive as fuck.

Not true at all outside of the US.

Average cable + Internet in US seems to be around $120 and Internet is a massive difference that streaming bundles don't offer whatsoever. So the cost is effectively extra. Are you paying $160+ per month just for TV channels?

The point about no forced contract is very true though.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
surprised Netflix and Apple agreed to this.

Yeah I'm kinda shocked Netflix is agreeing to this. Netflix is, far and away, the number 1 streamer, and 2nd place is Amazon (with an asterisk- most people pay for Amazon for shipping and not primarily for streaming), so the idea of everyone else trying to bundle to get 3rd place makes some sense, but why would Netflix want to undercut itself when it's the unbeatable market leader?

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
Apple TV+ gives out free 1-to-3 month trials like candy.

Peacock can be found for cheap, like in Black Friday sales for $2/month.

Netflix is the only big get in this bundle.

This isn't a good deal.

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
Not true at all outside of the US.

Average cable + Internet in US seems to be around $120 and Internet is a massive difference that streaming bundles don't offer whatsoever. So the cost is effectively extra. Are you paying $160+ per month just for TV channels?

The point about no forced contract is very true though.

It's with the most basic bitch internet of all time that no one would actually want and you're pretty much expected to pay more to get the better internet in a bundle to upsell you. Also the first month is because there's a $100 installation and setup fee, technically the first month "only" costs $63but they make you pay more with extra fees. It's also not counting any other hidden fees because I ain't buying that shit anymore and the other service provider I had at my former town of residence was different so I can't factually say how much this one in my current area costs behind the stuff I can more easily see. (but it's probably more, esp for the internet box since that's a common fee and such)

Cable TV may be cheaper outside of the US (I'd believe it, not like stuff being cheaper outside the US is anything crazy, it's true for internet, health care, phone plans, etc), but at least in the US it's kind of a joke. Keep in mind that's an average too, so while there's people paying less in certain areas there's also people paying quite a bit more than that.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
This isn't any different than getting a discount or free subscription through T-Mobile or Verizon or anyone else.

The Disney/Hulu/Max bundle is far more interesting as it's standalone.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
next step is requiring a box installed on your TV to get the service, and of course to pay for the box you must agree to a 2 year minimum term, and they will need to send a guy out to install the box and they will give you a 8 hour time window for setup but never actually show up

to cancel the service you will need to visit the office in Fargo, North Dakota between 3pm and 4pm on the 3d Wednesday of the month

Metal Gear?!

Jun 26, 2020
It's not cable yet but you can see it from here

0afe64d601594280b91ac6d3c79af65e.gif

Last edited:

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
So the modern streaming platforms are our new "channels"! I'm surprised Comcast hasn't done this sooner.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
we already get peacock for free through Comcast. We don't get Apple TV but we do get Netflix. So if the total cost of all three is cheaper than what we pay for Netflix. Sure why not.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
Verizon has been doing this for a while where you can sub to streaming services and "create your own bundle" at a discounted price when billed through your Verizon bill. I suspect all the telecoms will try to entice people with discounts and bundles billed thru their cable because they know it's another way they can extort money and hide fees from their customers and streaming services will comply because they know they'll make it more annoying/difficult to cancel and most people won't notice a less than $10 difference in a month in their cell phone or ISP bill

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
It will be ad-tier for sure, or worse- a mix of ad-tier and ad-free depending on which service wouldn't play ball with them.

I'm all for saving money but I will definitely need to do the math on this to make sure it's worth it, and also make sure that that existing Hulu accounts can switch to that bundle WB is doing without having to make a new account etc.

I'm sure I'll be seeing the Comcast email about their bundle any day now.

louiedog

Oct 25, 2017
For Comcast subscribers. Maybe this would be good if you live in those areas where you only have a choice between them and AT&T. I'm pretty sure my gigabit fiber + Netflix + Apple TV costs about what I was paying for 200 Mbps Comcast a few years ago.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
There's major opportunity here, its' just surprising that the streaming companies would come along with it, and you also wonder what the hook is... Like what is comcast's mechanism for making the investment back. It's not altruism.

In a married household where we both independently sign up for suff we want, I'm constantly messaging my wife "... hey what's the password for Hulu...?" Wlel, constantly like twice a year, but always the most inoportune times, like ... 8:41pm and the lone NFL Hulu stream kicked off 8 mins ago and I have the boys over, have to use my Xbox because my RokuTV has gone to shit, and shes' annoyed at me to begin with

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
None of these services from the big 3 make sense to me until I can get access to their network coverage without having a traditional cable substitute like hulu live or youtube tv. I shouldn't need a tv provider to get my local station through Peacock, Disney+, and Paramount. You are already tracking my location, just connect me to a local station so I can watch football.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
There's major opportunity here, its' just surprising that the streaming companies would come along with it, and you also wonder what the hook is... Like what is comcast's mechanism for making the investment back. It's not altruism.

In a married household where we both independently sign up for suff we want, I'm constantly messaging my wife "... hey what's the password for Hulu...?" Wlel, constantly like twice a year, but always the most inoportune times, like ... 8:41pm and the lone NFL Hulu stream kicked off 8 mins ago and I have the boys over, have to use my Xbox because my RokuTV has gone to shit, and shes' annoyed at me to begin with
From a Comcast side, it's probably to reduce churn. When Comcast stopped giving me free peacock a year ago, I think I have subscribed for a total of 2 months since then- one month for the NFL playoff game and the Royal Rumble, and another month for Wrestlemania. Maybe I'll do another month for the Olympics, but if it was bundled with Netflix, and it's not too much more, maybe there is enough friction there for me to go "eh, it would be a hassle to cancel this and then subscribe to Netflix, what if I just let this keep going because I want Netflix". They would much rather get a monthly subscriber who makes them 1/3rd the money as a normal subscriber, than someone who just pays for 3-4 months at full price, because it's consistant, and even if they aren't selling you the ad tier, they can tell advertisers "we have XXX million people subbed to our service now". ESPECIALLY if they end up getting the NBA rights from TNT, being able to show growth in your subs and a lower churn rate will make advertising better for them

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
If it's less than what it is to get them all separately, why wouldn't it be worth what they'll be asking for those interested in all three services?
I doubt it'll actually be that low. If it's less than $9.99/month for all three total, then sure go for it.

But again, Apple TV+ gives out free 1-to-3 month trials all the time, and Peacock is on sale often for $2/month. Netflix's lowest tier is $7/month with ads. The total for all three comes out to $9/month. And that's now.