• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Slayven, don't act like you don't already know that the answer is because Gotham City is essentially a Lovecraftian lynchpin cursed to always be a cesspool of violence and corruption.

It's like asking why haven't Reed Richards, Tony Stark, Hank Pym or the various other super geniuses of Wakanda why none of them figured out how to cure cancer and end world hunger.
Wakanda has the cure for cancer
fn9k7nlxy0p71.jpg

Crushed

Oct 25, 2017
dc's core heroes were created in the golden age, when superheroes were powered by drinking radium vitamins, mystical martial arts learned from racist stereotypes, having money, and being from planets with higher gravity. their number one foes? ghosts, nazis, and immigrants

marvel's core heroes were created in the silver age, when superheroes were powered by genetics, atom bombs, having money, and god. their number one foes? aliens, russians, and women's lib

Oct 25, 2017
Wakanda has the cure for cancer
fn9k7nlxy0p71.jpg

That's still kind of missing the point though. Especially considering this just means Wakanda's been holding onto the cure for cancer from the rest of the world.

Either way, it is what it is. Comics can tell great stories, but let's not pretend that a majority of them across time and space aren't going to be middling or have giant logical fallacies the size of entire countries. Be it DC, Marvel or other less known comic lines.

Last edited:

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
Its just a difference in priorities, marvel has mor genius's and their telepaths are way stronger, but dc has more people in the magic end. And marvel cant touch dc when it comes to speedsters.

Feb 16, 2022
Eh, no need to bring Marvel's "with all these geniuses and advanced tech, why does [insert medical condition here] still exists?" questions. DC was already stretching it on why Barbara was still on "risky, experimental tech" to walk again when other more advanced tech exists.

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, no need to bring Marvel's "with all these geniuses and advanced tech, why does [insert medical condition here] still exists?" questions. DC was already stretching it on why Barbara was still on "risky, experimental tech" to walk again when other more advanced tech exists.

Nah, the point is that both companies have their logical fallacies. Acting like there's any real meaningful difference between how stupid some things are in DC Comics compared to Marvel is missing the point: Comics regularly get stupid.

It's a fine line, obviously and you have to suspend some disbelief and gauge effective storytelling, but I think it's a bit much to argue that one company is inherently sillier or more "dumb" than the other company.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's a rebuttal to the "why hasn't Batman solved poverty question". In continuity cape books from the big two will always need to be somewhat rooted in reality so heroes don't tackle real world issues.

Feb 16, 2022
Nah, the point is that both companies have their logical fallacies. Acting like there's any real meaningful difference between how stupid some things are in DC Comics compared to Marvel is missing the point: Comics regularly get stupid.

It's a fine line, obviously and you have to suspend some disbelief and gauge effective storytelling, but I think it's a bit much to argue that one company is inherently sillier or more "dumb" than the other company.
I mean, we've well established ITT that while both have dumb stuff, Marvel is worse in this regard because their characters are indeed smarter. It's not exactly a competition, but in this particular case there are some degree of variation.

Similar to the topic of retcons/reboots. They're both guilty of doing it. But DC's way of doing it is way more apparent than Marvel because they keep trying to make these reboots and retcons in-universe meta events, which leads to the supposition that it's a DC thing when Marvel has also soft-rebooted their sliding timeline every now and then, because many of their heroes' origins were tied to specific eras.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a rebuttal to the "why hasn't Batman solved poverty question". In continuity cape books from the big two will always need to be somewhat rooted in reality so heroes don't tackle real world issues.

Exactly.

I mean, we've well established ITT that while both have dumb stuff, Marvel is worse in this regard because their characters are indeed smarter. It's not exactly a competition, but in this particular case there are some degree of variation.

Fair enough. And I agree, it really isn't a competition.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
That's still kind of missing the point though. Especially considering this just means Wakanda's been holding onto the cure for cancer from the rest of the world.

Either way, it is what it is. Comics can tell great stories, but let's not pretend that a majority of them across time and space are going to be middling or have giant logical fallacies the size of entire countries. Be it DC, Marvel or other less known comic lines.
Wow that sure makes the Wakandans look like a bunch of massive dickheads. There's a point where "we keep to ourselves" isn't a good enough excuse anymore.
I mean when everyone only comes to rob you, why you got to save them?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I mean when everyone only comes to rob you, why you got to save them?

When the most advanced country in the world sociopathically withholds advances that would save tens of millions of lives and solve many of the world's problems, why wouldn't they come rob you?

Withholding a cure for cancer is beyond just geopolitical drama and falls into the realm of murder by inaction. The Wakandans lose most of their luster if they've got that and are using it as a freaking political bargaining chip.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
When the most advanced country in the world sociopathically withholds advances that would save tens of millions of lives and solve many of the world's problems, why wouldn't they come rob you?

Withholding a cure for cancer is beyond just geopolitical drama and falls into the realm of murder by inaction. The Wakandans lose most of their luster if they've got that and are using it as a freaking political bargaining chip.
So colonialism is OK if a country isn't willing to put in the work but brown or black people have?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
So colonialism is OK if a country isn't willing to put in the work but brown or black people have?

First of all I think it does Wakanda a massive disservice to label an attack on them as "colonialism". They're the superpower; the traditional real world dynamic is flipped on its head and that's the point. No one is looking at Wakanda and seeing a bunch of backwater tribal heathens ripe for conquering, at least not in Marvel's modern day. Second, at the point where a nation of people is withholding aid from the world that's indirectly killing millions in the process, if you've exhausted peaceful means of getting them to share, I'm pretty sure the people of that world, faced with an existential crisis, would start feeling like anything is on the table.

There is no defending them withholding the cure for cancer. It makes them a bunch of fucking assholes.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Batman also doesn't fight just in Gotham, dude pays for the JLA and a bit of his family's operations, quite a few of which also have teams, and he has material for Gods, Aliens, Demons and so forth that are real issues in DC Earth and will gladly conquer or kill all of humanity, and Batman's stealth and tactics many times helped save the world...not exactly punching the villains but his other skills and gadgets.

People forget that while his main focus is Gotham, Batman is also part of superhero teams and fights in other cities or countries.

Hell, he literally pays other heroes their entire lives, for example, he owns the Daily Planet, he is the one who gives Clark Kent and Lois Lane their salaries...he is even the landlord of some apartments and houses heroes live in so he can excuse their rents when they aren't on the planet or can't pay because they were busy saving lives. now should he give all his money to Gotham...ordinarily i would say yes, but it's DC Earth, fighting aliens and demons is genuinely more important, because, great, Gotham gets to live 5 minutes without poverty before a demon destroys it because Bruce Wayne just didn't have gadgets to sneak and steal a magical item or distract the demon long enough for his teammates to save the world, that's kinda the issue with bringing real life issues to DC and Marvel comic book Earths...THEY AREN'T US, they have different issues too.

cowtools

Jul 20, 2020
Canada
I mean all the Super geniuses in Marvel ever do when they get together is either make super gulags or blow up alternate earths.

Marvel's vision of a super genius is basically an authoritarian nightmare.

Bengraven