• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SoleSurvivor

Oct 27, 2017
Was hoping they'd just skip right into "expanding into a more diverse world of Pokémon movies."

That said, loved the movie. Actually surprised me.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Don't they have like 3-4 movies in development? I though we knew that a while back? (Also, it's comicbook.com. Not the most historically reliable source.)

Regardless, I'm really glad it seems like they're moving forward with these. Detective Pikachu wasn't perfect, but it was super fun and showed a lot of potential for these movies.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
How does it work when they changed the game's ending in the movie?

I guess they can do an original story, which is fine by me because I enjoyed the movie a lot.

Deleted member 2618

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I thought this meant a comic is Detective Pikachu's sequel which would absolutely suck.

Great! I really hope they can expand on other Pokemon games. I think a Pokemon Ranger movie would be the best.

Glass

Oct 26, 2017
I enjoyed it alot but saw it made less in its opening weekend then predicted, I guess they expect it to have legs?

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I hope it does get a sequel, I thought the movie was pretty funny and surprisingly heartfelt. Though I'm not sure it's likely, it doesn't seem to have made very much money when you look at the production budget.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
Oh god I thought this meant a comic is Detective Pikachu's sequel which would absolutely suck.

Great! I really hope they can expand on other Pokemon games. I think a Pokemon Ranger movie would be the best.
Ranger, maybe a kid-friendly horror movie in a haunted mansion starring the various ghost types, Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, a kaiju movie about Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza. There's so much potential in the games and just different types of genre films they could do now they found their footing with Detective Pikachu

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
I thought it was an okay movie personally but least surprising news of the day. Bring Danny Devito to voice a pokemon and all will be right in the world.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Who would Detective Pikachu's Moriarty be?
udpb8i2kl0y21.jpg

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
One of the things they said they wanted to do was a Red/Blue based movie. Would that be a prequel? Not in the sense that it directly relates to Detective Pikachu but that it takes place 20 years prior?

Deleted member 2340

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How does it work when they changed the game's ending in the movie?

I guess they can do an original story, which is fine by me because I enjoyed the movie a lot.

This is just my personal theory but I imagine if they want to expand the Pokémon universe they would want Ryan Reynolds to be as involved in it as they could and make it make sense like what Ironman was for the MCU so I think Ryan Reynolds character Harry(?) Goodman will become the movie Pokémon universe "Looker" character taken from the games.

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I enjoyed it alot but saw it made less in its opening weekend then predicted, I guess they expect it to have legs?
It's apparently been having stronger than expected weekday returns, which bodes well for legs. Plus, I imagine Warner suspects the film would've done much better if they'd released it earlier in the year with less competition.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I hope they don't change the ending, would seem kinda cheap and unfair on the poor Pikachu

also let Ikue Ōtani become a hollywood superstar, dang it

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I enjoyed the movie, so I'd be up for more.

I do wonder how they sequel would be framed, though.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I know the first movie is loosely based on the game, but I'll be curious to see what they can do with a fully original story.......unless another Detective Pikachu game is in the pipeline.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I hope it fulfills the potential the original had. It was fine, but a little light. Felt more like an episode of TV with a huge budget than a full fledged movie.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
This movie sequel is gonna be one of those cases where watching a trailer of the second entry totally spoils the first one, isn't it.

Anyways, I'm curious about the comic book's artstyle.

Loan Wolf

Nov 9, 2017
Would prefer a Pokemon Ranger movie, premise has potential to meet Hollywood's writing standards.

RetroDLC

Oct 27, 2017
Team Skull gang thriller, please.
Let's hope Detective Pikachu is the Iron Man equivalent of the Pokémon Cinematic Universe (PCU).

PogiJones

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't doubt it, but comicbook.com isn't really a credible source. As an example of the level of articles there, they once quoted one of my reddit posts on r/onepiece just making basic speculation, added a whole bunch of fluff around it, and turned it into an "article." I wasn't mad or anything, and they linked and attributed, but my post wasn't all that great, certainly not worth an article, but because it got a few thousand upvotes they made it an article. They do that sort of thing all the time, with very low-quality articles.

So yeah. I don't doubt there's a sequel in the works, or some sort of Pokemon live action movie, but comicbook.com saying so isn't really a reliable reason to believe it.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Hopfully with a better writer and Director.

Detective Pikachu was mediocre. But had so much potential. They at least set up a new world.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017

I think it did only slightly below expectations at worst. From what I read in the OT box office thread, the studio expectations were about mid-50s, but admittedly I don't follow box office news very closely.

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't the rumor back then the sequel would be a prequel involving mewtwo and then the next movie was actual red and blue.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
Good. The actors were fine and the world looked great, but I hope they get better people involved with the sequel because the dialogue was downright terrible at times.