Status
Not open for further replies.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Effort?

No one cares about the Zeropoint book. LOL. Marvel gets paid every time you buy a Marvel character skin in Fortnite. The only difference is the only way to get the skin here is through the book.

Yeah, but think about the benefits to local comic shops: people might buy a Funko Pop while they're coming to pick up their Fortnite code!

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, but think about the benefits to local comic shops: people might buy a Funko Pop while they're coming to pick up their Fortnite code!

Yeah. Benefits comic shops and DC Universe Infinite, the latter of which was probably the real point.

That's how it's done. And it's a solidly branded book.

Right, right. But work out the math. DC sells the book., they pay Epic for the codes (trust me, that's not free), they lose the cut on comic shops and distribution. The only real win for them is DCUI. Hell, comic shops are probably not getting any add-on sales, and still have a huge number of folks trying to call in.

Marvel does... very little, and makes a cut of every Marvel skin sold, which includes, so far:
  • Star Lord
  • Deadpool
  • Black Widow
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Groot (with Rocket)
  • Mystique
  • Wolverine
  • Captain Marvel
  • Black Panther
  • Taskmaster
  • She Hulk
  • Doctor Doom
  • Silver Surfer
  • Blade
  • Daredevil
  • Domino
  • Cable
  • Storm
  • Iron Man
  • Ghost Rider
  • Psylocke
  • Venom
  • Ant-Man
There's a reason Kratos and Aloy are in Fortnite and that's because it makes money for the company.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Yeah. Benefits comic shops and DC Universe Infinite, the latter of which was probably the real point.

Right, right. But work out the math. DC sells the book., they pay Epic for the codes (trust me, that's not free), they lose the cut on comic shops and distribution. The only real win for them is DCUI.

Marvel does... very little, and makes a cut of every Marvel skin sold, which includes, so far:
  • Star Lord
  • Deadpool
  • Black Widow
  • Thor
  • Captain America
  • Groot (with Rocket)
  • Mystique
  • Wolverine
  • Captain Marvel
  • Black Panther
  • Taskmaster
  • She Hulk
  • Doctor Doom
  • Silver Surfer
  • Blade
  • Daredevil
  • Domino
  • Cable
  • Storm
  • Iron Man
  • Ghost Rider
  • Psylocke
  • Venom
  • Ant-Man
There's a reason Kratos and Aloy are in Fortnite and that's because it makes money for the company.
But the marvel approach of vague connections and branding wasn't the sales hit this is.

Deleted member 2145

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
didn't marvel tie in their character appearances in fortnite to stories? I think I read one..wolverine maybe.....

MHWilliams

Oct 25, 2017
didn't marvel tie in their character appearances in fortnite to stories? I think I read one..wolverine maybe.....

They wrote some throwaway stories. Similar to other licensed books:
103020jfsfcapnamaventgersmarvel.png

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
That's exactly it. It was all scattered on marvel's part and wasn't promoted much on the comic side. There was no drive to read the connected comics or even a direction to how to connect it all to the game or promotions.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017
they had a 6 page digital comic by Cates and Land tying the then-current Fortnite storyline to Cates' Thor run, plus every comic featuring a character appearing in Fortnite got a one-page scene showing them getting bifrosted into Fortnite Land; what DC appear to be doing right now is a lot more integrated, and thus more likely to get people interested in picking up A comic

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It is July 28 2018. Saga has just gone on an extended hiatus.

It is April 20 2021. The pandemic is near its end. Saga is still in hiatus.

It is 2014. I'm reading Saga for the first time.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Oh I see exactly what you're doing Adams

Wally traveling to speedsters "weakest points" in time and fixing Speed Force problems. HmmmmMMMMM

Dialogue is clunky at times but this is a good book.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
The only real difference is the code, which is the reason so many kids want it. They probably won't even read the comic.

The code is obviously the biggest draw, but in a world where Minecraft and FNAF has lore books, there is a stark difference between how both companies handled their respective promotions.

Marvel had variant covers and a quick panel or page of the characters getting teleported to and from the Fortnite world. This is a canon story (yes Fortnite has lore, no I have zero clue as to what it is) with one of the biggest comic properties in history. One is going to get so many more kids engaged, not just speculators looking to cash in.

It's funny, because none of y'all have actually read the Fortnite DC comic, have you?

I was literally the first to post my impression wtf

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
The code is obviously the biggest draw, but in a world where Minecraft and FNAF has lore books, there is a stark difference between how both companies handled their respective promotions.

Marvel had variant covers and a quick panel or page of the characters getting teleported to and from the Fortnite world. This is a canon story (yes Fortnite has lore, no I have zero clue as to what it is) with one of the biggest comic properties in history. One is going to get so many more kids engaged, not just speculators looking to cash in.
Honestly as dumb as it was, Marvel's method of making it canon in universe was the smarter play.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Honestly as dumb as it was, Marvel's method of making it canon in universe was the smarter play.

Eh it was a toe dip in comparison. I'm on mobile so I have easy access, but like Wolverine got teleported, panel for a beat, and then teleports back bloodied. And that was it. To be fair it's all it needed considering Marvel got a whole season compared to Batman now (though he did have a zone themed for his anniversary one year, before the Marvel season even). This is a canon Fortnite comic starring Batman. Pretty major. Enough to convert kids to reading floppies? Probably not. But this is going to be a massive sales success.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Eh it was a toe dip in comparison. I'm on mobile so I have easy access, but like Wolverine got teleported, panel for a beat, and then teleports back bloodied. And that was it. To be fair it's all it needed considering Marvel got a whole season compared to Batman now (though he did have a zone themed for his anniversary one year, before the Marvel season even). This is a canon Fortnite comic starring Batman. Pretty major. Enough to convert kids to reading floppies? Probably not. But this is going to be a massive sales success.
Maybe, you are probably right.
Fortnite's insane popularity is a law unto itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.