• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Xavier the Maker?

• Yes

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
It is kind of surreal to think we're getting all this shit and yet we're going to get absolutely nothing from the Spider-Man corner. Disney really has no reason at all to budge lol

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017
Read a comic called States of Mind which was a great little read. The writer has worked with her father who is a comic illustrator and it is a stark and open look into her struggle with Bipolar II Disorder. Lots of trigger warnings apply of course but it is an honest look into the cycles of living with the disease and what it takes out of the family and support structure.

fTlRSP7.png

Qh40gPL.png

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
They will never stop printing Spider-Man comics, but they might rethink doing big pushes or events centered around the character. Like how theyre doing so many Spider-verse books as they are nowadays. You might see less of those. But no, they will never shut down the character.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Wait, the Ellis Moon Knight run is only 6 issues lol? Is that the one to go to to see if you like the character or would Bendis's be better for that?
I haven't read any of the old stuff but Ellis' run serves as an intro to Moon Knight's superhero action side, while Lemire's explores his human and psychological state much more.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Does Sony own everything that has anything to do with Spider-Man? Like could they kill Spider-man on the way back to his home planet and introduce Miles or Ghost-Spider?

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
The only Cloak and Dagger book ive ever seen recommended was one of their event tie in minis. Think maybe it was Spider-verse, but I could be wrong.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
It's funny, I was just re-reading Jeff Lemire's Moon Knight earlier this week or so. I been meaning to look at more Moon Knight stuff, so I will probably look at the epic collections and the latest run at least.

How are the Moon Knight stuff from 2006 till before the 2014 run? 2006 run seems to be the really gritty run.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
The Charlie Huston run sucks. And Finch was both a terrible choice for a Moon Knight run, and he also just wasn't as good of an artist as he is now. I actually like Finch by the time he ended on Batman with King, but at the time he was doing Moon Knight, he still had a ways to go.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
I'm pretty sure if Ike tried to interfere with Spider-Man the people at Disney would come down to tell him to fuck off.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Why is Ike even still at Marvel? He seems like the worst and with Disney now so heavily involved, his role just seems redundant.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for the upcoming ASM where Peter becomes Hitler, but then Marvel backs up so he actually dies unceremoniously in a fart cloud so MJ creates a psychic projection of him for some reason I can't remember.

Deleted member 59339

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Aug 19, 2019
I like that Spider-Island mini by Nick Spencer and Emma Rios, and the very recent Dennis Hopeless run. But they're not like deep, mind-blowing books, they're two short & concise little character pieces.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Saw this tweet thread on reddit and thought it was interesting, especially now that Batman is transitioning to a new writer:

Lots of people read DARK KNIGHT and enjoyed cranky, brutal, frustrated old Batman so much that we got cranky, brutal, frustrated young Batman very often as a result.

That's not Miller's fault. He wrote (and drew) a really good book.

But the takeaway from it, as is often the case, was the shallowest, least nuanced takeaway available. Much like when one of the takeaways from MARVELS was "let's do more plastic covers."

Cranky old Batman's internal narrative became cranky young Batman's dialogue patter, rather than, say, his cleverness and humor.The idea that it took years of enforced retirement to create that frustration was ignored. Batman got simpler.

Cranky young Batman was pretty popular, though, so we've gotten a lot of it over the years.I just don't think that was the goal. And for my part, at least, I'd rather have a more nuanced, complex Batman.

That's not to say we never see that any more. But whenever we see a Batman who's such a crank that he keeps alienating his closest friends and family, I wonder what happened to Bruce Wayne, the charming, affable face that Batman can adopt AT WILL.

Even if Batman is being extra-biorhythmically cranky that day, why doesn't he just use his Bruce skills to not alienate his friends? Bruce is charming, smart, convincing and capable of guiding others to see the conclusions Bruce wants them to see.

Those are useful skills...…and when Batman gets presented as angry Batman who can't interact well even with people he knows well, to the point that it's counterproductive, I don't think it makes him look boss, I think it makes him look stupid.

He has tools at his disposal to avoid being so ineffective at social dynamics. You'd think he'd use them to get to the goals he knows he wants to get to.

But instead, we often get a Batman modeled after a lonely, bitter old guy who has lost much of his social skill, or after Rohrschach, who is socially inept.

I'd like to see Batman be a guy who can defuse a social minefield with words AND take down criminals with his (gloved) hands, because he's just that good.

Surly Batman has an excuse in DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. I don't get what the excuse is for Young Capable Batman.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
The Charlie Huston run sucks. And Finch was both a terrible choice for a Moon Knight run, and he also just wasn't as good of an artist as he is now. I actually like Finch by the time he ended on Batman with King, but at the time he was doing Moon Knight, he still had a ways to go.

Yeah, having seen some of Finch's art from Moon Knight or something like the Avengers Disassembled story arc, I definitely like his art in Tom King's Batman much more.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Finch's art in Batman by King is easily his best. Wish he had kept drawing on the book, honestly. Instead we got Tony Daniel who is...not as good.

Deleted member 59

I'm a page late but my first regular comic book was Judge Dredd Lawman of the future.

dreddlawman.jpg

Loved Dredd as a 9 year old but couldn't watch the film and wasn't allowed to buy 2000ad either, but this was a more toned down version of Dredd. Still awesome though imo with some great stories. Only ran for around a year though :(

Talking of Dredd i bought the IDW limited Series Judge Dredd: Under Siege recently and enjoyed that. Anyone recommend the rest of IDW Dredd output?

Status
Not open for further replies.