• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Is Xavier the Maker?

• Yes

Votes: 29 29.6%
  • No

Votes: 69 70.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
The best PG costume!:
2dazpUx.jpg
giphy.gif

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
So the previous issue Power Girl is in her traditional red and white costume (no boob window, tho). This issue, she's suddenly wearing this downright tasteful outfit in totally different colors. The thing even has a turtleneck! (Canary's full coverage outfit is cool too)

966275c6-5ee6-446c-9fujcr.jpeg

This has one of my favorite Black Canary looks, easily.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Doing research for a listicle I'm writing and man, Kurt Busiek's Tony Stark is still the best version of the character, this many years later.

Oct 25, 2017
Was so busy yesterday I didn't get to read any comics until right before bed and I missed all of the discourse around Powers of X & what everyone else took from it. One thing that immediately jumped out at me though was

The introduction of the preserve at the end & the librarian's frustration that there's *more machine code than soul* in the mutant archive definitely opens the door that at least some of what we see in either book, is the librarian's own simulation of a key significant event & potentially an inaccurate one at that. The two people in the trees at the end is obviously supposed to be evoking Eden, but what is Krakoa in the *present* if not eden, and the pod people did hatch naked at the beginning of HoX.

If he's running simulations to try to finish a different result to something that originally happened and created a domino effect that lead to all of the disaster alluded to, that would make the Moira/Xavier moment a candidate too. Perhap a simulation of a Moira from our present injected into what the Librarian believes to be a pivotal moment early with Xavier, to try and figure out what he was *really* thinking. We just get some generic "I had a dream" stuff, but maybe that's all that Xavier was really thinking that day and Moira is a variable to try and push an incomplete archive of Xavier into saying something new/revealing.

----

On a separate thought, I also got a chance to read the JLD Annual, and that was some really great stuff. Ram V manages to find interesting meaningful contrasts and commentary on the parliament/nature of flowers vs trees, and between Swampy and the new avatar of the green. Within that, it was also a really great introspective, creepy af one and done swampy story, outside of a little bit of framing on either side, there's almost nothing to do with the current JLD storyline and it v much stood alone. March's art was perfect too, really good read.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
The GL annual was the worst Morrison writing I've read in years. Maybe ever.
And look at the damn colouring. What a crud issue.
ifYUD4s.jpg

CyXsMYo.jpg

edit: I'm amazed at the reviews being complimentary to the art on comicbookroundup.

edit: Steve Oliff's the colourist. Looks like he's most famous for the groundbreaking digital colouring of the American release of Akira in the 80's. I guess this is Morrison giving an old legend a break. I'm usually okay with that sort of thing, even when it looks wonky, but bleh.

eee: Actually, Oliff's been on the whole series. The same guy did this page:
gUs7GJj.jpg

I don't get it.

Last edited:

R0b1n

Jun 29, 2018

edit: I'm amazed at the reviews being complimentary to the art on comicbookroundup.
I gave up on comicbookroundup and comic reviews in general because they never match my opinion and even if I find a reviewer that does it's never consistent

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Hah I actually got a real kick out of this issue, just read it over my morning coffee and there were a few parts that genuinely made me laugh, like the family squabble and the swerve at the end. It felt like a good place to tell that story, in an annual where there's space to get a bit goofy and weird (I mean, there was basically a sonic pinball sequence on one page lol). To each their own of course, I feel bad if you didn't dig it since the cover price is higher than norm.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Sophie Campbell is apparently on TMNT for at least 12 issues. That's awesome.

SeanShards

Oct 25, 2017
So what's the lore behind the OT title?

You may be asking if my Iceman book was any good, or if I'm just being sour grapes over a bad work experience. Believe me, I asked that, too. From the get-go, my first editor asserted that Iceman would be DOA if it were "too gay," while also telling me to prepare for a cancellation anyway, given that most solo X-Men titles don't last beyond a year. Never mind that my work on Iceman had gotten positive press in the New York Times (in-print), or that in spite of (since-deleted) critical sandbagging, the series nets glowing reviews on Amazon… Marvel still treated me as someone to be contained, and the book as something to be nervous about. Do you know how hard it is to not argue with a publicist when he's explaining the value of announcing Iceman's revival via the Marvel homepage? Sis, that's a burial. Instead of clapping back, I just went and got myself more press from the New York Times. From there, they tightened my leash. I had to get all opportunities pre-approved, and all interviews pre-reviewed. This would be fine if it was the standard, but I assure you: none of my straight male colleagues seek permission to go on podcasts promoting their books.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
At least it's anatomically correct, unlike Sophie's female Ninja Turtle, amirite!

Oct 25, 2017
ifYUD4s.jpg

CyXsMYo.jpg

edit: Steve Oliff's the colourist. Looks like he's most famous for the groundbreaking digital colouring of the American release of Akira in the 80's. I guess this is Morrison giving an old legend a break. I'm usually okay with that sort of thing, even when it looks wonky, but bleh.

eee: Actually, Oliff's been on the whole series. The same guy did this page:
gUs7GJj.jpg

I don't get it.
Oliff is a legend but some of the old great colorists never made a smooth transition to digital coloring.

This link talks a little bit about his work on Akira. He was doing digital color separations, not coloring in photoshop.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I finished League of Extraordinary Gentlemen yesterday, all the way down to July's final issue and I have to say...I should have followed my original instinct of stopping after vol. 2.

I enjoyed the Nemo spin-offs and I think the third part of Century, but overall everything Moore did with this book from Black Dossier and onward just felt like it completely lost the plot. Story was dropped in favor of cramming as many literary, film, tv characters and references in as possible, even when it didn't make sense, even when they added nothing, and especially when they detracted from the originally established group of characters. Black Dossier makes a hard pivot to Mina and Allan as this immortal pair of flippant adventurers -- along with Orlando, who Moore clearly enjoys writing more than anyone else -- and it feels like it becomes a different book with a different group of people and a different purpose, where the references aren't the fun window dressing but the entire point. It also felt like something had changed tonally: whereas his America's Best Comics stuff was about having fun with comics, his League run increasingly began to feel like he was making fun of what he was doing at all, that it had all become beneath him and, even in the spirit of keeping things fun, he wasn't taking it seriously anymore and poked at the whole enterprise of it all.

I don't know, I didn't not enjoy the post-vol. 2 material, but it increasingly started to rub me the wrong way. The Nemo spin-offs are a notable exception because those felt like a return to the spirit of the original volumes, of telling a more classic adventure story with a comparatively light layer of reference-driven characters and plot points. But the main book, and its increasing obsession with Orlando, the Blazing World and Prospero, and an endless wave of references, just got tiresome.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Read Batman Last Knight on Earth #2. It is pretty great as an overall package. Much better than Batman Damned. Actually feels like 3 issues in one. Love seeing Capullo back on Batman with Snyder. Only complaint I have is it almost moves too fast, due to having to cram the story in to 3 oversized issues. The story they are telling could have been a 10-12 issue arc if they wanted. I mean it's probably a good thing they didn't, since it would have probably felt too bloated then. There's just some things I would have liked to seen more of.

lasthope106

Oct 25, 2017
Iowa USA
Powers of X was meh. Not a fan of the art style. What the hell is going on with the Xavier's eyes and Magneto's nose. Also didn't like that manga style expressions for Nimrod.

KineAg62

May 8, 2018
PoX 1 was great. Hickman is on Super Hickman Bullshit levels. More graphs please! I want some Histograms! Pie Charts! Bar Graphs! I want to do some ANOVA on that shit!

Woozies

Nov 1, 2017
Rereading HoX and I just had a thought.

Why is Sabertooth still an X-men villain?

Dude is street level chump change.

Vordan

Aug 12, 2018
Powers of X - This was ok, but not as good as the first issue of HoX. I would have honestly preferred if the first issue was following Sinister's stuff on Mars, rather than that relegated to an info dump on one page. Neither of the two Hickman OCs really grab me personality or appearance wise. Still it was a good issue in that it did make me a bit interested in if Hickman's X-Men is going to revolve around the X-Men trying to change the future, and I do want to know what Xavier saw in Moira's head.

Status
Not open for further replies.