• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
What are everyone's comic book goals for 2019? I have a big list of stuff I plan to read, but I don't wanna type it up on mobile.

Don't you dare say "Not reading comics."
BEGONE YOU WICKED CREATURES
yDDjnoh.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I really like this Black Mirror choose your own adventure thing on Netflix. I wasnt a big fan of the actual show, but this is such a great idea and I hope they do more like it in the future.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
What are everyone's comic book goals for 2019? I have a big list of stuff I plan to read, but I don't wanna type it up on mobile.

Don't you dare say "Not reading comics."
Control my spending and hack through this massive backlog.
Does certain powersets make it harder for a character to headline?
I think it depends on how integral that powerset is to that character's identity or concept. Blade being a vampire and Dr. Strange being a massively powerful sorcerer are so tied to their identities that it obviously plays a role. Kamala Kahn and Dick Grayson, however, don't need that. Kamala needs a power in order to work, but it doesn't have to be polymorphism. Dick could have powers, but the overall concept is what needs to be kept intact.

So yes and no. It depends on the character combined with that powerset, essentially.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently pulling:
-Doomsday Clock
-Sideways
-The Terrifics
-Justice League Dark
-Justice League Odyssey
-Heroes in Crisis
-Shazam
-Green Lantern

So, Sidways has two issues I think left. The Terrifics may or may not be ending after three more issues. I can't see myself pulling Odyssey for much longer, but I'm at least going to finish out the first arc.

So that is 2-3 books going away within the next few months. I'll be pulling Shazam and Green Lantern for the foreseeable future. Justice League Dark, we'll see. Might drop it soon and trade wait instead.

Might start pulling Young Justice, but I don't know yet.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Follow lot less big two books and follow more non big two books so I can be happier before their cancellation for nor selling

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I'm currently pulling:
-Doomsday Clock
-Sideways
-The Terrifics
-Justice League Dark
-Justice League Odyssey
-Heroes in Crisis
-Shazam
-Green Lantern

So, Sidways has two issues I think left. The Terrifics may or may not be ending after three more issues. I can't see myself pulling Odyssey for much longer, but I'm at least going to finish out the first arc.

So that is 2-3 books going away within the next few months. I'll be pulling Shazam and Green Lantern for the foreseeable future. Justice League Dark, we'll see. Might drop it soon and trade wait instead.

Might start pulling Young Justice, but I don't know yet.
Your not pulling Justice League? Did you just not like it?

I feel like I trade wait on pretty much everything these days. It's just much cheaper in the long run, and I don't like waiting each month for the next issue, unless it's something I want to read as it's coming out.

The only things I'm actively pulling each week are:

Justice League
Justice League Dark
Green Lantern
Uncanny X-Men
X-Force
Captain America (even though I've only read the first 2 issues lol)

I'm gunna start pulling GotG when that launches, along with Young Justice. Also Swamp Thing if that ever comes out!

Last edited:

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Your not pulling Justice League? Did you just not like it?

I feel like I trade wait on pretty much everything these days. It's just much cheaper in the long run, and I don't like waiting each month for the next issue, unless it's something I want to read as it's coming out.

The only things I'm actively pulling each week are:

Justice League
Justice League Dark
Green Lantern
Uncanny X-Men
X-Force
Captain America (even though I've only read the first 2 issues lol)
I'm gunna start pulling GotG when that launches, along with Young Justice.
I actually loved Justice League from the first 9 issues I got. I stopped pulling it because it was doing some crossover with Aquaman, and it was the end of Aquaman's run, and I didn't want to start reading Abnett's Aquaman with the actual end of it, lol. I'm going to trade wait or see if they start doing deluxe editions for it.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I actually loved Justice League from the first 9 issues I got. I stopped pulling it because it was doing some crossover with Aquaman, and it was the end of Aquaman's run, and I didn't want to start reading Abnett's Aquaman with the actual end of it, lol. I'm going to trade wait or see if they start doing deluxe editions for it.
I hope they do! They did announce a Deluxe Edition for Drowned Earth already lol.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if Messi is going to cut his pull list down any for 2019. That thing was massive lol.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
I wonder if Messi is going to cut his pull list down any for 2019. That thing was massive lol.

It is HUUUUUGE!

Yeah, personally I definitely want to have my pull list low key still. Unless I don't like it or whatever, I will probably have Young Justice be the only ongoing series from the big two on the list for a little while least. With Image comics, there is that drop to $2 after a month, so I am fine with throwing 1-2 series from there on the list too.

Everything else is going to trades (beside some possible one-shots).

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the Black Mirror Bandersnatch CYOA thing on Netflix. Kinda dissapointed by the ending, but it was alot of fun still. Really want to do something else like it, but a bit longer. I guess my only options are like CYOA books, or visual novel games.

I heard good things about 428 Shibuya Scramble, so I might check that out. Is there anything else that you guys know of? No telltale games though lol.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Just finished the Black Mirror Bandersnatch CYOA thing on Netflix. Kinda dissapointed by the ending, but it was alot of fun still. Really want to do something else like it, but a bit longer. I guess my only options are like CYOA books, or visual novel games.

I heard good things about 428 Shibuya Scramble, so I might check that out. Is there anything else that you guys know of? No telltale games though lol.
Don't know if it's very CYOA (it has several endings tho) but I started Va-11Hall-A yesterday and it's fucking incredible. I am in love.

If you figure out how to cut out the extraneous, mediocre comics that I feel obligated to read for continuity's sake, please let me know...
If an issue comes out and I haven't read the previous 1-2 issues, I just drop the title

^ That's a nice lean list man.

I counted mine up and I'm at 8 titles, 3 of which have endings confirmed and another 3 that really only have intermittent schedules haha. So while 8 is fine, only 2 being proper ongoings makes for slim pickings a little. (The 8 are: Head Lopper, Ether, Rumble, Deadly Class, Lazarus, BPRD, Umbrella Academy & The Wild Storm)

That said there's some good stuff that will start or have started & will arrive in tpb by this time next year. I'll probably add Coda, Bitter Root, These Savage Shores, Middlewest and the Sandman books to my pull, should fill things out again a bit.
Coda is ending soon too lol

He also wrote a long thread on twitter last night about a White Knight Animated movie lol. He wants it to be animated in the BTAS style, but with cgi Batmobiles, and Margot Robbie to play one of the Harleys.

But why

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
16 notifications. Never had that many. Thanks for the responses!

I'm surprised by many of your pull lists. I cut a few recently, but my list is not short. A big part of that is because I split most of my comic costs with another person, so it may be similar in terms of total price.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised by many of your pull lists. I cut a few recently, but my list is not short. A big part of that is because I split most of my comic costs with another person, so it may be similar in terms of total price.
I generally don't keep a traditional pull list anymore. What I do is set a dollar amount each week to spend on comics. Then, when the new stuff goes up on CMX, I go through the new releases and add everything to my cart that looks interesting. Then I look at the finished cart and start removing things I don't really really need until the price is at or under what I decided I want to spend on comics this week.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
I generally don't keep a traditional pull list anymore. What I do is set a dollar amount each week to spend on comics. Then, when the new stuff goes up on CMX, I go through the new releases and add everything to my cart that looks interesting. Then I look at the finished cart and start removing things I don't really really need until the price is at or under what I decided I want to spend on comics this week.
What is the price?

We have a list of series we buy at release and a list of series we buy on sale.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Hahah, well, that's true. Would you believe, because Boom do that thing where for some series they do a comic stores only trade first, that series still isn't available in regular book channels and won't be until April? At least the wait between trades won't be that long I guess.
I didn't understand what you said but I believe Spurrier said it's a maxi and that's it. That's the end

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't understand what you said but I believe Spurrier said it's a maxi and that's it. That's the end

Oh sorry haha, I am aware it's a maxi lol what I was adding was a separate point but you're totally correct there.

I'll try and rephrase: Boom have an initiative where, for specific series, they will do a "direct market vol 1" and hold off releasing it to the regular market eg. Amazon, for around six months or so. Which makes matters even more annoying in the case of a book that's only 12 issues long in the first place. I should have been able to read a volume 1 for Coda by now but because of exclusivity, I haven't been able to is all.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Oh sorry haha, I am aware it's a maxi lol what I was adding was a separate point but you're totally correct there.

I'll try and rephrase: Boom have an initiative where, for specific series, they will do a "direct market vol 1" and hold off releasing it to the regular market eg. Amazon, for around six months or so. Which makes matters even more annoying in the case of a book that's only 12 issues long in the first place. I should have been able to read a volume 1 for Coda by now but because of exclusivity, I haven't been able to is all.
Oooh that's weird

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

Play 428, it's amazing and perfect for this. It was my favorite game this year actually. It's like a big CYOA story and it's a blast thanks to the sharp localization and fun characters.

For general VNs, check out:
-VA-11 HALL-A (pinchy also said this but it's great and offers some interactivity too)
-Muv-Luv Alternative (linear and requires you to play the first game beforehand which is kinda generic anime but Alternative is amazing)
-House in Fata Morgana (little interactivity but incredible writing)
-Utawarerumono series (SRPG mixed with VN)

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017

The Zero Escape games might be for you. If you still have DS or 3DS I would recommend Zero Escape: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors on one of the two platforms. It's special experience that way. Can't say much about the other version of this game, but you could go with ps4 version instead. The only downside would be that the games have Escape rooms, where you have to solve puzzles, so it's not completely story and decisions. I think the IOS version of the first game doesn't have them.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
So how much longer until DC Universe is turned into a legitimate Marvel Unlimited contender because now it's getting silly.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Play 428, it's amazing and perfect for this. It was my favorite game this year actually. It's like a big CYOA story and it's a blast thanks to the sharp localization and fun characters.

For general VNs, check out:
-VA-11 HALL-A (pinchy also said this but it's great and offers some interactivity too)
-Muv-Luv Alternative (linear and requires you to play the first game beforehand which is kinda generic anime but Alternative is amazing)
-House in Fata Morgana (little interactivity but incredible writing)
-Utawarerumono series (SRPG mixed with VN)
Yea 428 seems to be the closest to what im looking for atm. Plus its on sale atm! I did play, and loved, VA-11 HALL-A when it first came out on steam. Thanks!

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
I'm loving Abnett's Aquaman. I'm almost through Vol 3. The thing I've noticed though, is that Geoff Johns run seemed...cooler? I guess. I think it was more the amazing Reis and Pelletier art than the stories/writing. If Abnett's run had amazing art the whole time like it does from issue #25 onward, I think it would be possibly considered the best Aquaman run.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
So how much longer until DC Universe is turned into a legitimate Marvel Unlimited contender because now it's getting silly.
I feel like their comic selection is seriously lacking. They are still trying to sell people comics, instead of offereing a MU style competitor. Hopefully that business model will change in the future.

I know its wishful thinking, but I really hope MU comes with whatever the Disney streaming service is next year. Or atleast a larger discount for subscribers of both.

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
Best Comic: Immortal Hulk (also Best Mahvoo Book)
Best Writer: CHIP
Best Artist: Gurihuru for Unstoppable Wasp
Best Image Book: Crowded
Best DC Book: Flash
Best IDW Book: I dunno
Best Crossover: Damnation
Best Horror: Immortal Hulk
Best Action: The Punisher
Best All Ages Book: Unbeatable Squirrel Girl/Rocko's Modern Life

Status
Not open for further replies.