Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
oewxaXO.png

UnTAb6f.png

CUboNpo.png

WsDbSGD.png

bwqeRML.png

Knight Terrors #1 By Williamson, Porter - Hello, ghouls and ghosts! This is Boston Brand, a.k.a. Deadman, and I'll be your supernatural tour guide across the Knight Terrors stories! After that fancy special oversize issue you have to read first, the whole world is trapped inside their nightmares, and Batman and I are trying to figure out who Insomnia really is…and why he wants revenge on the heroes of the DC Universe!

Knight Terrors : Batman #1 By Williamson, March - Ever since becoming Batman, Bruce Wayne has been a creature of the night. He transformed himself into a symbol that gave the criminals of Gotham nightmares. But now, trapped in the Nightmare Realm, Bruce is stalked by the horror he's created! Can he escape before his own nightmares pull him deeper into the darkness?

Knight Terrors : Angel Breaker #1 By Seeley, Bright - Deep in an abandoned Kobra safe house is a device able to access the dream powers of John Dee, a.k.a. Doctor Destiny. As heroes across the world succumb to nightmares, Angel Breaker wants it. Now, to infiltrate a hall of horrors, she'll need the help of a professional thief—the man known as Raptor. But Angel Breaker and Raptor aren't exactly friends. Can the mysterious merc trust a man who feels nothing but grudges as the strange pair encounter a horror as old as the Coda Sisterhood and even more dangerous? While the world sleeps, Angel Breaker might be the final girl still awake!

Knight Terrors : Punchline #1 By Lore, Meyer - Alexis Kaye, a.k.a. Punchline, fears nothing…or so she'd have you believe! Her fears will be pried out of her in the nightmare world where she's being hunted, and she'll be forced to face her deepest, darkest nightmare in true horror-movie fashion!

Knight Terrors : Harley Quinn #1 By Howard, Sherman - Imagine a world—beyond both the waking world and that of dreams. A world where your every choice creates a series of infinitely rippling profane reverberations. Where donuts and soda cans can do the cancan and I actually am goin' steady with yer mom. Our story takes place there, in the realm beyond the limits of the liminal. A place we call…the Harley Quinn Zone. I'm your host, Dr. Ryleha Q. Niun, attorney of drawers—Just kiddin'. It's still me, Harley! But hey, this one is real freaky—and my life is already pretty dang bananas! Hold on to your buns, 'cause this one is gonna give you some interdimensional chafing for sure! Plus, Leah Williams and Ben Templesmith help me crack a cosmic-mystery night terror! This case goes so many layers deep it's practically a true turductective story, if you will…

Knight Terrors : Poison Ivy #1 By Wilson, Ilhan - It's another absolutely gorgeous and serene day in Pamela Isley's lovely little new neighborhood! Everything and everyone here is wall-to-wall smiles! Nothing ever goes wrong, everyone is friends, and best of all, it's made just for Ivy with lots and lots of love. Now, Pammy, don't frown, don't fuss, and don't fret—just because this wasn't what you thought you wanted, that doesn't mean it won't fit you like a glove. Now have some pie, dear, don't think too hard, and just smile.

Knight Terrors : Shazam! #1 By Waid, Cruz - ENTER: TETH-SHAZAM?! Of all Earth's heroes, Billy Batson is the only one in double danger—because he and the Captain are each haunted by their own set of nightmares! And if the World's Mightiest Mortal can't survive his own fears, what chance does the rest of the Shazamily have?

Knight Terrors : Zatanna #1 By Culver, Baldeon - Zatanna, one of the last people awake on Earth, must defend her unconscious allies Wonder Woman and Detective Chimp from Insomnia's Sleepless Knights—led by their horrifying Sleepless Queen! But the outnumbered Zatanna can't do it alone. She uses her magic to summon any champion that is still awake, which puts her in an unlikely team-up with one of the world's strangest superheroes: the Unstoppable Doom Patrol's Robotman

Hawkgirl #1 By Axelrod, Nahuelpan - Kendra Saunders, the winged warrior better known as Hawkgirl, has been one of the DCU's greatest heroes for a long time, serving as a member of both the Justice League and the Justice Society. But with the Justice League disbanded, Kendra decides she needs a fresh start and heads to Metropolis to begin a new life. That life is quickly interrupted by a mysterious villain with a powerful connection to the Nth metal that makes up Hawkgirl's wings and weapons.

Worlds Finest : Teen Titans #1 By Waid, Luppachino - Led by Robin, the Boy Wonder, a new super-team has burst onto the scene—meet the Teen Titans, DC's grooviest group filled with super-teens with super-problems. When they're not fighting alongside their Justice League mentors, they're managing their image and cultivating the rabid fan base that helps them save the world…as, all the while, a danger from the shadows intends to tear these friends apart before they ever reach the big time.

Tales of the Titans #1 By Hale, Hale, Rodriguez - The Titans have stepped up to become the DCU's premier superhero team, and all eyes are on them! Who are Starfire, Raven, Donna Troy, and Beast Boy? Where do they come from, and what do they stand for? All will be revealed in Tales of the Titans, an all-new series of spotlight issues in the spirit of the beloved 1980s classic Tales of the New Teen Titans! First up is alien princess and warrior Starfire, whose huge heart, huger hair, and fiery fists have made her a fan-favorite member of the team! When a spaceship bearing Tamaranean markings crash-lands on Earth, Starfire goes on a solo mission to uncover its origins. But what awaits her on that journey will bring her back to the earliest days of her youth, to memories of two sisters eternally at war...and perhaps the chance to keep history from repeating itself.

Harley Quinn : Black + White + Redder #1 By Various people who don't know what Harleys eye color is so they made the book black white and red - The bloody brilliance of 2020's Harvey-nominated Harley Quinn: Black + White + Red deserved an encore—this time in print periodical! In this all-new miniseries, 18 short tales of Gotham's most unpredictable antihero unspool in black, white, and red ink (because she's never seen the world in just black and white). In this issue: Comedic legends (they made us say that) Chip Zdarsky and Kevin Maguire team up to send Harley and Ivy deep into the heart of the Fortress of Solitude! Leah Williams and Natacha Bustos reveal Harley's teenage past as a high-flying gymnast with vengeance on her mind! And actor Paul Scheer joins co-writer Nick Giovannetti and artist Tom Reilly to send former Joker sidekicks Harley and Gaggy Gagsworthy on a heist that's worth the risk…but can the pair walk out on their vendetta in 30 seconds flat when they feel the heat around the corner?

e6DOyx0.png

qSA4U68.png

d4NcxgR.png

Fallen Friend #1 By Various – Surely this won't be controversial???

Amazing Spider-Man #30 By Wells, McGuinness - Spidey goes one last round with the new and improved Doc Ock.Can his newest ally help turn the tide?
Blade #1 By Hill, Casagrande - True evil is patient. And a dark, ancient power has been simmering quietly for centuries…and when Blade himself is the one to unknowingly unleash it, Marvel's entire supernatural underworld will come out of hiding to demand he handle it. Or pay a pound of flesh for his mistakes.

Moon Knight #25 By Mackay, Cappuccio, Vitti – Wait, Moon Knight is ending at ~25????
Captain America #750 By Various - After the harrowing events of CAPTAIN AMERICA: COLD WAR, the Captains America return home to mourn their fallen – and strive to honor the power of legacy. Plus: The secret origin of Sam Wilson's new shield revealed, and a bold new direction for Sharon Carter!

Captain Marvel : Dark Tempest #1 By Queen Nocenti, Villanelli - After facing off against the Brood with the X-Men and losing someone she holds dear, Carol Danvers needs a break. She's not about to get it now! A slinky new cosmic threat comes for Earth's Mightiest, and they know just who to recruit to really wreck Carol's world – a surprise legacy villain! Join industry legend Ann Nocenti and artist Paolo Villanelli of STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS fame as they take the torch from Kelly Thompson's record-breaking run and slingshot Captain Marvel from the Harpswell Sound to the far reaches of the galaxy!

What if? Dark : Spider-Gwen #1 By Conway, Houser, Bachs - Spider-Legend Gerry Conway returns to his most famous Spider-Story for this WHAT IF along with co-writer Jody Houser! WHAT IF Gwen Stacy didn't die on the bridge that day, but Spider-Man DID?! 'Nuff said, I presume!

Hellfire Gala 2023 By Various - THE FALL OF X BEGINS HERE! The Hellfire Gala is always the biggest event of the season…but this year's will change everything for Krakoa. What is meant to be mutantkind's biggest night becomes their biggest nightmare as the Fall of X begins! All your favorite X-Men are going to be left reeling after this one – shocking revelations, stunning betrayals, horrifying tragedy, impossible deaths…and of course the most glamorous looks of the year, all in one CANNOT-MISS package!

X-Men #24 By Duggan, Cassara - Pogg Ur-Pogg, returns!

Invincible Iron Man #8 By Duggan, Frigeri - As the X-Men throw their latest Hellfire Gala, Iron Man has to contend with the new Stark Sentinels flying through New York! Can Tony stop these mutant-hunting machines alone? Guest-starring Emma Frost!

X-Men : Before the Fall – Sinister Four #1 By Gillen, Medina - As the nineteenth century drew to a close, the dying Nathaniel Essex unleashed four clones of himself into the world. They've been haunting it ever since, while lurking in the shadows. We know what Sinister has been up to. What about the others? In this issue, we delve into their past...and discover their latest atrocity. When they start to...date?

Wolverine #35 By Percy, Ryp - WOLVERINE. BEAST. Only one of 'em's left standing after these CLONE WARS. And it ain't no clone. The brutal finale of Wolverine's CLONE SAGA sets the stage for LOGAN's next journey and presages things to come for KRAKOA!

N1i2dml.png

6OAwslu.png

McK6XMV.png

Fireflies #1 By Lemire - When a brutal and violent crime puts the life of an innocent teenage boy in the balance, it sets off a chain of events in bucolic Bell River, Ontario that will permanently change several residents' lives. And as the manhunt heats up, a lonely girl named Franny Fox will form an unlikely friendship with a fugitive that leads them on an odyssey of discovery and redemption.

Purr Evil #1 By Andolfo, Braga - Rita loves her daughter Deb, but a dark evil from her past threatens the lives of anyone who gets too close to it. Can the bond between two women overcome a life built on blood and lies? And what secret is lurking in the Morando family's apartment?

The Unbelievable, unfortunately mostly unreadable and nearly unpublished untold takes of I Hate Fairyland #1 By Various - A five-issue anthology series featuring Untold Tales based on Eisner Award-winning writer SKOTTIE YOUNG's bestselling comic, I HATE FAIRYLAND, with stories written and drawn by a stellar lineup of creators.

Fire Power #25 By Kirkman, Samnee, Wilson - FIRE POWER RETURNS with an extra-length 44-page story! After learning Wei Lun killed his parents, Owen cannot let the past go.

I Hate Fairyland #7 By Young, Bean - The only Gert to fear is Gert herself! Gert needs to get the fluff out of Fairyland, and King Cloudeus is doing everything he can to make that happen. But he knows the only one who can get rid of Gert is every other Gert who ever lived. So let the battle BEGIN! (That's the most times I've ever typed GERT in a solicit. Pretty impressive, right?)

Battlechasers #11 By Mad, Lullabi - The battle continues! Garrison draws on the power of his cursed blade! Secrets are revealed.

Love Everlasting #9 By King, Charretier - Joan is done running and must now confront who she is, what she is, what her world is. And in this penultimate issue of the second arc, Joan comes face to face with a death that changes her forever. What does the end of everything mean to the woman whose life and loves are seemingly eternal?

Monstress #45 By Liu, Takeda - Zinn is back in the world where they were once imprisoned, and painful secrets about their past are coming to the surface. Meanwhile, Maika investigates a mask possessed by the imprisoned Defiled—a mask that bears a striking resemblance to the long-sought Mask of the Shaman-Empress.

Worldtree #4 By Tynion, Blanco, Bellaire - Ellison has fallen deeper into the Undernet than he ever could have imagined. Now the life of one of his closest friends hangs in the balance…and PH34R is winning.

hwKhOaC.png

LagYob7.png

0bHIvTZ.png

Dr Stone Vol 26 By Inagaki, Boichi - Senku has reached that final frontier his own father once traversed-outer space! Unfortunately, the moon mission runs into a sudden, unexpected crisis. Who or what is Why-Man's true identity? And what fate awaits humanity? The science-powered adventure comes to its dramatic conclusion!

Chainsaw Man : Buddy Stories By Fujimoto, Hishikawa - Power lives out her favorite anime by becoming a genius detective-or so she wants her "audience" to believe! Denji is along for the ride as her assistant for an investigation into disappearances at a mountain hotel. Other stories center on Quanxi and Kishibe's relationship nine years after they met, Himeno and Aki's first assignment together, and Denji, Power, and Aki's dream trip to Enoshima.

Blue Box Vol 5 By Miura - Coming to the fireworks festival with Hina has Taiki's emotions swirling, and that's before he bumps into a wandering Chinatsu. Together, they help a little girl reunite with her mother, but how will Taiki deal with his muddled feelings when he returns to Hina's side?

Tista Vol 2 By Endo - Tista's activities as the grim reaper of New York City have drawn the attention of the FBI. Agent Snow makes contact with Arty and begins to investigate. Meanwhile, Tista continues to bury her emotions in order to complete her deadly missions. But when the organization she serves issues a particularly cruel order, can she carry it out?

Dandadan Vol 4 By Tatsu - The banana-stealing Serpoians are back! And they've trapped Okarun, Momo, and Aira in a void to have another go at stealing their reproductive organs. The subsequent battle causes the powers of the Acrobatic Silky dwelling within Aira to awaken, and she temporarily joins forces with Momo and Okarun. But will they be any match for their opponents after the aliens merge with their minions to form an even greater being?!

Kaiju No.8 Vol 7 by Matsumoto - Kaiju No. 9 shows up to steal the power of Kaiju No. 2, wielded by Isao Shinomiya, director general of the Defense Force. At the end of the deadly battle, Isao manages to get No. 9 on the ropes, but he ends up exhausting all of his strength, allowing the kaiju to steal No. 2's power. With Isao defeated, No. 9 fuses with the director general and takes on Kafka, Kikoru, and Narumi! Will they be able to defeat No. 9 and save their fearless leader?!

Undead Unluck Vol 12 By Tozuka - A surprise attack by Unruin leaves Fuuko on the brink of death. Luckily, due to the addition of UMA Ghost, the concept of death is rewritten, saving Fuuko from permanent demise. But her soul is stolen by Ghost and Unruin, prompting Andy to leave the Union and embark on a new quest to rescue her. What lies in store for him on the road ahead?

Boy's Abyss Vol 2 By Minenami - Reiji's teacher Shiba and old friend Gen are both determined to prevent him from killing himself, but their motives aren't pure and their methods are dubious. Meanwhile, his true friend Chako obsessively pursues the writer she hero worships, while pop idol Nagi schemes to keep her hooks in Reiji.

The Summer Hikaru Died Vol 1 By Mokumokuren - Two boys lived in a village: Yoshiki and Hikaru. The two did everything together...until the day Hikaru was encompassed by a mysterious light. That was when everything changed-Hikaru most of all. Yoshiki still wishes from the bottom of his heart to always stay by his side...but is there even a Hikaru left to be with?

NaLhULv.png

-If you must post a spoilery panel or a page from a Shonen Jump (recent or otherwise), please link to them with a proper spoiler warning.
-Please at least allow one week before posting unmarked spoilers.
- Use common sense when it comes to older spoilers. Its easy to use a spoiler tag and has the same effect.
-Announcements/Solicitations are not spoiler worthy, no need to tag
- Don't spoiler tag images, it doesn't work on mobile so its not reliable.
-MARK YOUR SPOILERS

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
We're about halfway through the year. What have been your favorite comics this year so far?
From the last thread: As in stuff that end and/or came out this year? Looking through my 2023 Comics/Manga Read doc, I haven't read as much new stuff as I did last year. But from my list of stuff that I've been following:

• Phantom Road
  • Little Monsters
  • The Forged (Potentially)
  • Usagi Yojimbo: WhereWhen (Potentially)
Otherwise, I've been reading a lot of old stuff from my backlog including Charles Soule's She-Hulk and The Loneliness of The Long Distance Cartoonist. The new Hulk run seems promising even though I dropped Immortal Hulk hard around Issue 20 and never bothered with it. I also liked Blue Book because the art is really good so I would put it up there after I read more issues.

• Green Arrow
  • WorldTr33
  • Avengers
  • Detective Comics
  • Action Comics
  • Damn Them All
  • Batman Superman Worlds Finest
  • Ultimate Invasion
Anyone read The Forged yet or 20th Century Men?
I wanted to get around to this from the last thread. Solid list! I still need to read World's Finest beyond Issue 1. But I liked what I read so much that I vol. 1 HC is on my wishlist because Dan Mora is damn good. I tried to get into Damn Them All. But it didn't grab me all that much so I will have to try again because I like Spurrier's work a lot! This sounds like his answer to his creator-owned Constantine series free of any licensed shackles.

To answer your question, I read The Forged. It's like Warhammer 40K if it had a matriarchal society and an elite squad of badass women. And it's dense with world-building stuff. But it's good! I've been surprised by it. I dig all the sci-fi, space opera stuff. Plus the art is fun too. In fact, I enjoy it way more than whatever mess We Only Find Them After They're Dead ended up being after the first arc. Definitely check it out!

Fresh new thread! Looking through the OP, I had no idea Monstress took a spring break. I was wondering where it was after the cliffhanger the prior issue ended on. Coda Deluxe Edition Hardcover just came out and currently sits in my cart along with Do A Powerbomb! TP and the aforementioned Batman and Superman: World's Finest HC Vol.1. I'm tempted to add some other DC books before the sale ends. But not sure what else; I have many DC books on my wishlist but money is finite. I missed out on The Unwritten being 50% off for one day. 🤦‍♂️

Side note about Coda: I realized I reviewed the final issue for Multiversity Comics back when I used to dabble in comics journalism pre-pandemic while looking through comicbookroundup.com the other day. Spoiler alert: I loved it but Multiversity Comics didn't pay its contributing writers. Even though some editors took a pay cut so other writers could get paid. But that's a story for another time. Needless to say, I wasn't surprised at the CBR axes; I never heard good things about writing for them.

But yeah, everyone needs to check out Coda. It's such a great "post-fantasy" series if you enjoyed Angelic and Step By Bloody Step. Anyway, enough out of me. I'm procrastinating on stuff I need to do that's due tonight lol so I will be lurking.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
thanks for the new thread messi. i hope this one has less P*t*r P*rk*r talk

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
thanks for the pretty new thread you big nerds. <3

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Hope the thread becomes more active this summer. I just have a hard time keeping up or even just finding discussions in the Discords.

That Amazing Spider-man #30 cover is great. Ready for Knight Terrors to be over. Oh and Fire Power is still going lol. Wonder when they will do the next HC. If Marvel isnt going to do an Iron Fist book, Fire Power was the next best thing.

To answer your question, I read The Forged. It's like Warhammer 40K if it had a matriarchal society and an elite squad of badass women. And it's dense with world-building stuff. But it's good! I've been surprised by it. I dig all the sci-fi, space opera stuff. Plus the art is fun too. In fact, I enjoy it way more than whatever mess We Only Find Them After They're Dead ended up being after the first arc. Definitely check it out!
Yea I was really intrigued by the story and art. I think they are printing them in larger format than normal comics, but that doesnt really matter on digital.

Oct 29, 2017
Finished the first TPB of Thompson's Captain Marvel, it was ok and I'll keep reading.

Excited by that Sinister Four thing, I love the Sinisters when Gillen is writing them.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Watched The Batman last night for the first time since theaters. I don't like it nearly as much as I do the Nolan Bale Batman movies. The Riddler feels too much like the Joker with riddles. But the movie itself seems more interested in the mood and cool visuals more than telling a good story.

I'm actually looking forward to the Gunn DC Bat stuff.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Messi is something cooking with Lazarus? Image is re-releasing all three hardcovers this month. Gearing up for the final arc maybe?

IrishNinja

Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
does that tom strong/promethea/top 10 era of moore hold up? i wanna say one of you here co-signed it, been meaning to read those forever

AstronaughtE

Nov 26, 2017
I've finally wrapped 1976 up. This is first time doing this, and it's a little rough, but here are some things I've noticed. Some are new, some are just interesting to me.
Why not start with the big surprise at the beginning of the year the return of Jack Kirby. What a return as well! I thought the Mad Bomb storyline was great. I don't know if this is the first time we've been exposed to the concept, I'm guessing probably not, but it's certainly been used since then in a few different places. Kingsman jumps to mind.
Captions in circles - I haven't really noticed very many captions in circles prior to this. They were always in a box, and generally at the top. Things are changing up a bit. It's possible that I missed them before, I did miss the first spider-man *thwip* after all.
Speaking of Spider-man, issue 157 was fantastic! It was the Return of Doc Oc. He's being haunted by the phase shifted Hammerhead who died in an atomic explosion at the advanced nuclear facility that Aunt May had inherited. I also recently noticed that Ross Andru has his characters break out of panels during actions scenes. I think it works incredibly well. I'm not sure how often this has happened before '76-- and I'm certain it has, especially from Steranko on his tiny x-men run—But it finally caught my eye with this fight with Doc. Oc. The arms for his Doctor Octopus are awesome. I don't hear Ross Andru mentioned all that much, but he seemed to stick around quite some time.
Iron Man had a few great issues this year as well. His armor is lighter and more accessible, no more attache case, but weaker in quite a few ways. He may have had a nose added and removed, but that may have been last year. I'll tell you who did show up again this year: The Controller. I really like this dude. I was wondering why on earth they haven't used him in the MCU, but when I thought about how they would do it I realized that DC and WB kinda, barely, almost turned the Riddler into the Controller. Still though, he has a cool gimmick, I'd like to see it on the big sceen.
Since my segues have been on point, and speaking of Controllers the I saw from bullpen announcement that the UPC was added to comics in 76.
I also saw the first car phone mentioned Oct-76.
Avengers annual had some great art by George Perez. His iron man drawings, along with the color, were fantastic. Some really great panels.
Daredevil had a bizarre anti-heroin issue involving a hemophiliac child, the "junky" woman who finds them, and the woman's boyfriend(?) who was bombing the city until she came back to him. Seems like drugs are starting to take a bit of a role in the stories.
There's also been an uptick in mentions of slapping women. Peter "jokes" with MJ about it, and I've noticed it at least 2 other times. I'm curious why. I talked to my wife briefly about it and she was thinking maybe there was a movie or something that brought it up? I don't know, but I think '76 is a bit late for the idea of "slapping sense" into people.
I'll finish off with this youtube video I found. Maybe this has been seen a million times already. This is only PT1, but near the end there's an Interview with Marvel editor Archie Goodwin from '76 marvel con. He is asked "why aren't there more women creators in comic books?" lol pt2 has John Buscema receive a standing ovation after drawing conan while smoking.
youtu.be

Marvel Comics Convention 1976 - Part 1

Mighty Marvel Comic Art Convention 1976. Featuring : Stan Lee autograph session; an interview with Editor in Chief Archie Goodwin. (Courtesy the Stan Lee Arc...

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Read a couple comics today. Aureview time.

Flavor Girls vol 1.
81IElf31ljL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Good, but I have reservations. I really like the use of color and willingness to make characters look absurd for interesting panels and page composition. Somewhat typical magical girl stuff, but the aged-up target demographic and willingness to experiment make it more interesting. Character dynamics were fine, and I think that's the necessary component for making this work. I can see it growing into something special down the line, or it could just deflate. The textless issue was cool. Also, it made me happy that there was an extra story that's just an overt homage to Obayashi's House.

The Phantom Scientist
81mCACNOQnL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Fine. French scientific mystery comic about systems theory. The P versus NP problem, chaos theory, and the traveling salesman problem all make appearances. I honestly expected it to be more subversive in form, and the art was sorta perfunctory but unoffensive. Characters were all pretty bland. I was thinking it would bend my mind a little more than it did. Not boring, though.

Oh! And I read this a few days ago!

Tegan and Sara: Junior High
9780374313029.jpg

Wonderful. I thought I'd read just a little before bed and ended up unable to put it down. Real, complicated characters just trying to figure shit out at an age when everything is in flux. Sounds like an obvious thing, but I really felt it with this one. Tillie Walden's art of course never disappoints, and there are a few more fantastic feeling pages that stand out the most. There are some moments that made me feel anxiety recalling what my life was like in middle school, and I don't think that's something YA stuff actually brings out for me often. The passion for music is depicted lovingly and authentically. Just a delight.

Last edited:

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
So need a little vent about performative white activism within fandoms. In a server about comics/cartoons/anime etc, we discussed redeeming certain characters for the Batfamily. I brought up how Clayface(Batman villain) used to be a serial killer and felt it was weird to see him redeemed and others argued Damian(Robin) and Jason(Former Robin/Red Hood) have killed people before. I admit my knowledge is sorta rusty but I said I believed they killed in self defense and this person responded with 'cop defense.'

Honestly this threw me off and I found this totally unnecessary cuz I'm black and this person is white but we're talking about fictional characters in fantasy/fantastical situations and I felt trying to bring that sort of parallel to this discussion was unwarranted about this discussion.

so it annoys me they thought it was appropriate to say this to a black person and all considering the origins of cops as slave patrols and just how irritable performative activism in fandoms can be

Ferda

The Fallen
Jan 25, 2019
Portland, OR
Holy shit, were you lurking for years, Ferda?? Or did you have a different name on gaf?

Been lurking since gaf then when you all moved over here I got scared that I lost you all so I finally made an account. I've always loved this thread and keeping up with all your antics. I don't want to imagine a world without you all.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
since twitter is down (lol) i wanted to see how this place was fairing

lmao

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
So need a little vent about performative white activism within fandoms. In a server about comics/cartoons/anime etc, we discussed redeeming certain characters for the Batfamily. I brought up how Clayface(Batman villain) used to be a serial killer and felt it was weird to see him redeemed and others argued Damian(Robin) and Jason(Former Robin/Red Hood) have killed people before. I admit my knowledge is sorta rusty but I said I believed they killed in self defense and this person responded with 'cop defense.'

Honestly this threw me off and I found this totally unnecessary cuz I'm black and this person is white but we're talking about fictional characters in fantasy/fantastical situations and I felt trying to bring that sort of parallel to this discussion was unwarranted about this discussion.

so it annoys me they thought it was appropriate to say this to a black person and all considering the origins of cops as slave patrols and just how irritable performative activism in fandoms can be
Sorry you had to go through that. It definitely gets old

Status
Not open for further replies.