Whose art do you like more?

• Pepe Larazz (House of X, best Rogue in comics?)

Votes: 40 55.6%
  • Jorge Jimenez (Batman, Creator of Punchline)

Votes: 32 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
It looks fine. It doesn't look super skull like, but it looks good.

"Crap" and "not at all skull like" are not equivalencies.

maxresdefault.jpg
Eh it doesn't really look good to me. Doesn't really scream 'Taskmaster'.
Looks more like a power rangers villain.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Heard a youtuber theory that the last swordsman on the X-Men side is Magneto, BUT his "sword" will the be S.W.O.R.D. space station and unleash the Brood and some other alien species as a last ditch attack.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Eh it doesn't really look good to me. Doesn't really scream 'Taskmaster'.
Looks more like a power rangers villain.
Based on the trailers the whole point of the character is that he's enigmatic and involved with the Red Room program. Or at least the way the trailers are cut. A skeleton pirate with a cape a floppy ass boots doesn't fit the theme.

I'm all for that shit, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. Doesn't mean it looks bad. His tools and gear all appear to have his color scheme and the shield is definitely his, at least.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
They're gonna drop that Minecraft Portal right on top of those Arakkiis

they do like making gateways out of bodies

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Based on the trailers the whole point of the character is that he's enigmatic and involved with the Red Room program. Or at least the way the trailers are cut. A skeleton pirate with a cape a floppy ass boots doesn't fit the theme.

I'm all for that shit, but if it doesn't work then it doesn't work. Doesn't mean it looks bad. His tools and gear all appear to have his color scheme and the shield is definitely his, at least.
Fair enough. I'm sure the movie will be fine either way.

Astro Cat

Mar 29, 2019
I finally got Avengers PS4 for $30 at Target. That was always my sweet spot on price and at least Ms. Marvel looks cool.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah and that means he ain't Taskmaster.

Taskmaster is great because he works best in the shared superhero fantasy universe of Marvel, a showboating, swashbuckling villain for hire who can be dropped into nearly any situation and work.

He's a superhero comics character first and foremost, he doesn't need that 2000 X-Men streamlining that saps the fun out of the character.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Ok time for review #2

Gideon Falls nominated by Canucked
Written by Jeff Lemire and art by Andrea Sorrentino

This one I have read a fair bit of myself so I will try and do a more general review.
The first thing that hit me about this comic is the art, more specifically the unusual inking.
It is a very interesting shading style that I believe is called hatching. But the effect it gives is very unearthly, as if the very world is not quite in focus. Apropos considering the creepy, sinister universe Lemire's story focuses on.

This is some particularly spooky subject matter, involving disturbed characters, ancient otherworldly evils and a sinister black barn. Time, space and reality twist and turn in this captivating tale.
All of the characters are well realised and interesting, all providing a unique perspective on the world.
It is well worth the time for anyone looking for a good horror comic or if you just enjoy looking at some very unique artistry.

1. Strange Adventures - bluexy
2. Gideon Falls - Canucked

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Im reviewing Suicide Squad for someone! Dont forget me!!

Just got review copies for next week's BOOM releases, so im reading those first though. Really like the teams theyve picked to go with for the new Mighty Morphin and Power Rangers relaunches, just wish I had gotten caught up on them after Shattered Grid ended lol. Are these completely new outfits or are they from one of the actual shows?

power-rangers-1-1.jpg

It looks like this team will be going in to outer space to fight, while the Mighty Morphin team stays on Earth. The MM team is basically the classic team after Jason became the White Ranger, which is totally my jam. But theres a new Green Ranger too, so people get the best of both worlds lol.

Porl

Nov 6, 2017
Do you mean Fortnite, or am I missing a reference?
Nah, It's from the Cable XoS issue

there's some evil alien horde that invaded the SWORD space station and they came in through a portal that looks really similar to a Minecraft Nether Portal but is made out of dead bodies. At the end of the issue Cyclops seems to imply he plans on teleporting those aliens to Otherworld if things go south

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We ever stop and think that Alan Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow is fucking garbage?

The last story of the Silver Age Superman, the man who could do anything and always saved the day, involves his villains ruining his life, all his friends dying while he's blind to their plight, compromising his morals because silly goofy Mr. Mxyzptlk is actually a very serious and adult eldritch monster so he has to kill him, then depowering himself so he can be a car mechanic the rest of his life while the world spins on like it never acknowledged or needed him.

Dark Knight Returns ends with Batman going underground to continue his crusade knowing that Batman will live forever. Man of Tomorrow is a story about the irrelevance of its main character.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah and that means he ain't Taskmaster.

Taskmaster is great because he works best in the shared superhero fantasy universe of Marvel, a showboating, swashbuckling villain for hire who can be dropped into nearly any situation and work.

He's a superhero comics character first and foremost, he doesn't need that 2000 X-Men streamlining that saps the fun out of the character.
But we also don't know

Because we haven't seen the movie

Only trailers

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
We ever stop and think that Alan Moore's Whatever Happened To The Man of Tomorrow is fucking garbage?

The last story of the Silver Age Superman, the man who could do anything and always saved the day, involves his villains ruining his life, all his friends dying while he's blind to their plight, compromising his morals because silly goofy Mr. Mxyzptlk is actually a very serious and adult eldritch monster so he has to kill him, then depowering himself so he can be a car mechanic the rest of his life while the world spins on like it never acknowledged or needed him.

Dark Knight Returns ends with Batman going underground to continue his crusade knowing that Batman will live forever. Man of Tomorrow is a story about the irrelevance of its main character.
Honestly I have realised that I don't really like the majority of Alan Moore's work.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Im reviewing Suicide Squad for someone! Dont forget me!!

Just got review copies for next week's BOOM releases, so im reading those first though. Really like the teams theyve picked to go with for the new Mighty Morphin and Power Rangers relaunches, just wish I had gotten caught up on them after Shattered Grid ended lol. Are these completely new outfits or are they from one of the actual shows?

power-rangers-1-1.jpg

It looks like this team will be going in to outer space to fight, while the Mighty Morphin team stays on Earth. The MM team is basically the classic team after Jason became the White Ranger, which is totally my jam. But theres a new Green Ranger too, so people get the best of both worlds lol.
The Omega Rangers are comic-only and never showed up on the show. And their designs are rad.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I have realised that I don't really like the majority of Alan Moore's work.

It's hard for me to grasp the context of Moore's work when it was coming at a time where the hyper violence and sexuality he was putting into his stories were genuinely bold and daring, as opposed to now where his works have been aped by other writers to parody levels.

I liked Miracleman a lot and I'd probably like Supreme, and those are opposite takes on the same character.

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
posting 2 days late to say what the fuck at the last page in ASM 51.LR, it's pretty brilliant but also what the fuck?

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
I love that Christopher Priest didn't shy away from USagent being a dumb piece of shit

Also yep its a Christopher Priest book

I love the people were so excited that when they thought it was OG Captain America before he fucks up

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
pretty great creative line up for those who are into the death metal stuff

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it the "Last Days of the DCU" makes it sound like things are somehow ending at the end of Death Metal, but everything weve seen makes it seem like that isnt really the case. I mean, they did say they would be focusing on each character individually next year when doing their refreshes, but that doesnt explain what the other books will be doing while they are waiting for the turn. Hopefully we will get some sort of answers soon.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Calling it the "Last Days of the DCU" makes it sound like things are somehow ending at the end of Death Metal, but everything weve seen makes it seem like that isnt really the case. I mean, they did say they would be focusing on each character individually next year when doing their refreshes, but that doesnt explain what the other books will be doing while they are waiting for the turn. Hopefully we will get some sort of answers soon.
With everything going on in real world DC, it does kinda feel like the last days.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to buy the Hama Wolverine run and then saw what the art was like in some of those issues.

Wolverine kinda thrived in the dirty grit of the early 90s but goddamn some of it is rank.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to buy the Hama Wolverine run and then saw what the art was like in some of those issues.

Wolverine kinda thrived in the dirty grit of the early 90s but goddamn some of it is rank.

wait, are you dogging on Silvestri and/or Texeira or were there actual bad artists I don't remember

hipsterpants

Oct 25, 2017
so now that I'm back after avoiding the internet since election night, does anyone else feel unsure about X of Swords? we're past the halfway point, feels like all 3 Hickman issues covered the same shit (and the last one even reused art...) and things still look like they're building rather than uh, happening. the end of Marauders was less an "oh shit" and more "oh, alright, this is kinda dumb"

at least we're getting Magik vs. Poggers next week

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
wait, are you dogging on Silvestri and/or Texeira or were there actual bad artists I don't remember

Mid 90s had Adam Kubert on art and it is dreadful.

For the series itself, it's hard to explain. I'm absolutely all in on a trip down shlock lane as Wolverine travels the world fighting ninjas and discovering his Secret Mysterious Past while grappling with his feral instincts. That is my ideal Wolverine story, but I don't want to dive into terrible anatomy to get to those fun parts.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
so now that I'm back after avoiding the internet since election night, does anyone else feel unsure about X of Swords? we're past the halfway point, feels like all 3 Hickman issues covered the same shit (and the last one even reused art...) and things still look like they're building rather than uh, happening. the end of Marauders was less an "oh shit" and more "oh, alright, this is kinda dumb"

at least we're getting Magik vs. Poggers next week
Somehow i don't expect we're getting a shonen style tournament arc i will be surprised if we get alll the fights

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Mid 90s had Adam Kubert on art and it is dreadful.

For the series itself, it's hard to explain. I'm absolutely all in on a trip down shlock lane as Wolverine travels the world fighting ninjas and discovering his Secret Mysterious Past while grappling with his feral instincts. That is my ideal Wolverine story, but I don't want to dive into terrible anatomy to get to those fun parts.

oh yeah, you can drag Kubert all you want

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Now Strange Academy thats the good stuff.
I'm taking my time reading through issue 2 because I dont want to waste it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyway I've been arguing with myself all day as to whether I should pick those comics up and if I have for that long then it's probably not worth it.

Plus I hear Jubilee is barely in those old Wolverine comics.

Status
Not open for further replies.