• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing to it, though. It's the most minimal-ass redesign you could possibly do. Most of these look like they're from the late 90s.
Yup, it looks like an action figure line variant with "battle armor" added to the core designs for most of them. Martian Manhunter's is fine, but I like his original design so much that I don't see the need to really change or mess with it.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I don't hate the Superman suit, it looks like a recolored Superman suit. The others look like an overdesigned mess, like someone took the existing costumes and barfed edgy spikes and armor all over them except Green Lantern who looks like his costume's in the laundry so he put on a crotch harness to fit in but didn't get the memo that outside underwear is not a thing at the moment.

Not defending them because they're largely garbage, but in Hal's case, the harness is part of the straps for a parachute, which given him being a pilot makes sense.

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
Not defending them because they're largely garbage, but in Hal's case, the harness is part of the straps for a parachute, which given him being a pilot makes sense.
But he's not wearing a parachute. I don't think pilots wear those harnesses all the time or do they? But whatever the reason is it still looks super weird to have a bunch of heroes in obvious superhero outfits and then a guy dressed as a pilot.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But he's not wearing a parachute. I don't think pilots wear those harnesses all the time or do they? But whatever the reason is it still looks super weird to have a bunch of heroes in obvious superhero outfits and then a guy dressed as a pilot.

I guess it could be under his bomber jacket? I dunno, like I said, I wasn't defending it by any means, but if Hal's lost his ring (which is dumb because he just got new special one), then he doesn't have a costume to be altered. 🤷‍♂️

Memento Mori

Oct 26, 2017
I kinda just assume Hal is always wearing his dad's jacket underneath his green lantern uniform. Johns established it in my mind as his default outfit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Any ideas for how to store and move omnis and deluxe editions, before a move? Looking for like a cardboard box or plastic tote that can store 4 or 5 in each.

Need to just sell all my OHCs and HCs that I know I wont read again. Looks like a lot of the Marvel OHCs are starting to fall apart, or at least the glue is starting to seep though the cover pages. Its a hassle selling them all individually though.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Any ideas for how to store and move omnis and deluxe editions, before a move? Looking for like a cardboard box or plastic tote that can store 4 or 5 in each.

Need to just sell all my OHCs and HCs that I know I wont read again. Looks like a lot of the Marvel OHCs are starting to fall apart, or at least the glue is starting to seep though the cover pages. Its a hassle selling them all individually though.
tbh, best to just case your neighborhood shops and ask if they have any boxes you can have. grocery stores, liquor shops, book stores, etc. are all great. check everywhere you're comfortable calling or stopping in. your books will fit in pretty much anything, tho medium to small boxes are preferable for weight. otherwise, you can get medium-sized boxes for around $2 a pop from places like uhaul, lowes, costco, or even amazon. can get a bit expensive relatively quickly, so hopefully you can find some free boxes!

Oct 29, 2017
After like 15 years I completed my Absolute Sandman collection 😭 Not crazy about the reprints getting the DC Black Label logo but I'm not one of those people who get super mad about that stuff lol I'm just glad that I have the whole thing now.
sJ7D21n.png

Got my first omnibus too, 7 Soldiers by Morrison. I was planning to get the two Annihilation omni first but I'm waiting for better sales.
q7J0VHp.png

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
After like 15 years I completed my Absolute Sandman collection 😭 Not crazy about the reprints getting the DC Black Label logo but I'm not one of those people who get super mad about that stuff lol I'm just glad that I have the whole thing now.
sJ7D21n.png

Got my first omnibus too, 7 Soldiers by Morrison. I was planning to get the two Annihilation omni first but I'm waiting for better sales.
q7J0VHp.png
hell yeah awesome pickups dani

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I also have mix-and-match Absolute Sandman spines and it's giving me choice paralysis for the fourth one - Vol 1 & 2 are Vertigo, while the Vol 3 I got was DC Black Label. So like, do I track down a Vertigo Vol 3 and maybe swap for it, then try and track down a Vertigo Vol 4? Do I accept the new Black Label future and track down some Vertigo editions of the first volumes? Do I just live with an imperfect shelf? Such things haunt me.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I also have mix-and-match Absolute Sandman spines and it's giving me choice paralysis for the fourth one - Vol 1 & 2 are Vertigo, while the Vol 3 I got was DC Black Label. So like, do I track down a Vertigo Vol 3 and maybe swap for it, then try and track down a Vertigo Vol 4? Do I accept the new Black Label future and track down some Vertigo editions of the first volumes? Do I just live with an imperfect shelf? Such things haunt me.
image0.jpg

I, too, am a broken man.

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I was about to make some joke about how going digital would solve this, but then I remembered that my Sandman volumes are from different editions and have completely different styles for the covers.
Also, Comixology is dead so I'm never going to see them again.

Oct 29, 2017
I think the fact it doesn't flip flop makes it less annoying to me.

image0.jpg

I, too, am a broken man.
oh, that looks nice. I'm planning to get the Overture and Death volumes too.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this speaks to the way modern Marvel markets their books, particularly Spider-man and my big issue with how they do it. They've been in this constant loop of "Controversy sales" because they love it when those out of context panels rage baits people and go viral on social media.
They should just go with cover blurbs like "This book is so bad it'll make you shit."

Feb 16, 2022
I feel like this speaks to the way modern Marvel markets their books, particularly Spider-man and my big issue with how they do it. They've been in this constant loop of "Controversy sales" because they love it when those out of context panels rage baits people and go viral on social media.

Spider-Man Reigns is a very okay story on its own, but the thing people remember most form it is the Radioactive Spider-Semen and now Marvel is leaning into that fact. "The most controversial Spider-Man story ever." C'mon now. lol
Obligatory

Screenshot-2024-04-16-225807.jpg

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
You could print out obi and put them on all of them for a unified look.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I love Evan Cagle's work on the Detecive Comics covers. They're always so beautiful.
Yup. This whole era of Detective Comics had some amazing talent. From covers to the coloring. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Hope it gets a nice Omni.

It's been really different from the rest of the Batman books of late. More of a Gothic horror like story.

notoracle

Aug 24, 2023
Yup. This whole era of Detective Comics had some amazing talent. From covers to the coloring. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series. Hope it gets a nice Omni.

It's been really different from the rest of the Batman books of late. More of a Gothic horror like story.

I hope they stick around, because they're why I got back into reading Detective Comics. The artwork especially got me back in.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017
bleedingcool.com

DC Comics Pulls And Replaces Covers Accused Of Being Generated By AI

In an article looking at concerns about the use of AI in recent comic books, Daxiong, was accused by some people over his DC covers.

Who is he trying to fool with the reverse sketch of the AI image. He already has great traditional art but to stoop to this level is just stupid.
Reminds me of artbysherilyn last year at SDCC who had good traditional art but resorted to selling AI art in her booth. I don't think she's posted anything since then.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of any good sites aside from eBay for tracking down variant covers? I'm looking for the Gibbons variant to Venom #11 from Cates' run and neither of my shops had it.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know of any good sites aside from eBay for tracking down variant covers? I'm looking for the Gibbons variant to Venom #11 from Cates' run and neither of my shops had it.

It's in stock here but I can't vouch for them

planetcomicsanderson.com

Venom #11 Gibbons Var

• The sinister symbiote skulks the streets of San Francisco! • With the symbiote silenced and Eddie finding parts of his memory missing, will he be able to find the answers he's looking for in the Golden City? • Or will the return to his old stomping grounds reveal secrets better left buried...

Or 40$ on midtown comics

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

planetcomicsanderson.com

Venom #11 Gibbons Var

• The sinister symbiote skulks the streets of San Francisco! • With the symbiote silenced and Eddie finding parts of his memory missing, will he be able to find the answers he's looking for in the Golden City? • Or will the return to his old stomping grounds reveal secrets better left buried...

Or 40$ on midtown comics

Not familiar with them either, hmm. I actually looked at Midtown right after posting but it looks like they're sold out, all I saw were options to wishlist it.

Bii

Oct 25, 2017

planetcomicsanderson.com

Venom #11 Gibbons Var

Or 40$ on midtown comics

For $10 shipped, it's not that much more/less than eBay. Looks like they have 4 copies in stock.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the big deal about this Venom cover? Just because it's a Watchmen reference by the Watchmen guy?

If I remember right, Cates and Stegman hyped up their now pretty big Venom run by doing a Twitter meme campaign where they randomly decided to claim it would be "better than Watchmen" and it actually paid off in generating buzz and sales. The cover's a reference to that.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the big deal about this Venom cover? Just because it's a Watchmen reference by the Watchmen guy?

Specifically it's a fun memey variant because Cates and Stegman spent a bunch of time leading into their Venom book talking about how their Venom would shit all over Watchmen and take its place as the great classic cape comic, about how their Venom could solo the entire cast of Watchmen in a fist fight, ect - it was fun shitposting because it absolutely riled people up. The fact that they convinced Gibbons to get in on the joke and do a Watchmen styled variant is pretty spectacular, honestly.

Feb 16, 2022
Specifically it's a fun memey variant because Cates and Stegman spent a bunch of time leading into their Venom book talking about how their Venom would shit all over Watchmen and take its place as the great classic cape comic, about how their Venom could solo the entire cast of Watchmen in a fist fight, ect - it was fun shitposting because it absolutely riled people up. The fact that they convinced Gibbons to get in on the joke and do a Watchmen styled variant is pretty spectacular, honestly.
It was funny. I kind of hate people who put Moore and his works on a pedestal, since they're usually the snobby kind of people.