Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
bleedingcool.com

Marvel Now Approving Series For Ten Issues At A Time

Talking to ICV2, Marvel Comics President Dan Buckley has clarified a change in Marvel Comics publishing decision-making.
What was it before? 10 issues is kinda weird since its 2 and a half trades, unless they are moving to 5 issue trades. Or they just go by 10 issues worth of sales and let them wrap it up with the last 2 issues.

EDIT: it was 4 or 5 issues before lol.

Dan Buckley replied "I think the days of having a 500-issue run is probably a reach, but we are looking at having less limited series and more ongoing, with all our characters. I'm not going to say there won't be limited series, but I am at the moment approving some series for 10 issues at a time, not 4 or 5. Hopefully, I can get to 15 or 20. That is the intent. Because, to be honest, it's a lot of work on our editorial staff, too, to restart books all the time; there's a lot of work on our marketing staff, to re-market a book coming out. It's to the benefit of everyone to figure this out."

Cant believe it took them this long to figure out people dont like the 4 issue minis.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They're definitely at 5-issue trades at this point, even for larger series. Gotta cut corners somehow!

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Dan Buckley replied "I think the days of having a 500-issue run is probably a reach

Man I hate that this is where we're at. At least most books have Legacy Numbers now, even if those numbers are frequently weirdly counted or outright wrong.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
What was it before? 10 issues is kinda weird since its 2 and a half trades, unless they are moving to 5 issue trades. Or they just go by 10 issues worth of sales and let them wrap it up with the last 2 issues.

Cant believe it took them this long to figure out people dont like the 4 issue minis.

I know of marvel and DC talent that knew their book was cancelled 2-3 issues in.

ElNarez

Oct 28, 2017

lmao at the idea they were marketing any of these books like yeah Avengers Inc. wasn't within this calendar year SURE

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I love (hate) the 2000s era comic adverts where they're giving you a US Navy signup card.

ugly.jpg

I miss Bonkers. Those things were delicious.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
New Batman outfit for the upcoming fight. Not a fan tbh.

bleedingcool.com

Batman Gets A Brand New Look In Batman #147 (Spoilers)

Batman #148 has a cover with a new look for Batman, grey with dark blue highlights, gloves, cape, and Bat logo looking like Dark Knight.

m4xfI7vB.jpg
Nah, this isn't a good design. Chunky ass symbol with sleek and narrow ears = what are they even going for? Also, I'm not sure WTF is going on with the utility belt there. Love Jimenez, but this design is ass.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
New Batman outfit for the upcoming fight. Not a fan tbh.

bleedingcool.com

Batman Gets A Brand New Look In Batman #147 (Spoilers)

Batman #148 has a cover with a new look for Batman, grey with dark blue highlights, gloves, cape, and Bat logo looking like Dark Knight.

m4xfI7vB.jpg

Terrible design. What's with the weird blue side panels on his chest? It honestly looks like a fan redesign with a bunch of added color panels that break up the existing sleek single color design.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel doing Absolute sized hardcovers called Marvel Masterpieces lol. 12 issues each. First 2 are the Spider-man black suit year one and the original Secret Wars.

Last edited:

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Design blows. This run has been such a wet fart it really bums me out. I've come to respect the previous run more now in hindsight.
Tynion's run was excellent. I've fallen way behind on this run as I just don't care that much. There are a few good moments here and there, but they're so far apart that I don't have much interest in reading.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Marvel doing Absolute sized hardcovers called Marvel Masterpieces lol. 12 issues each. First 2 are the Spider-man black suit year one and the original Secret Wars.
Will have to see how the final product looks, because the best stuff about Absolutes isn't just the trim size, but the quality of the book itself and the consistency of the line. There's already so many extra-sized Marvel formats out there (the Gallery editions, the Taschen editions, the King-Sized editions, the Artist editions) that I struggle to see what sets this one apart or justifies its existence as a separate line.

But yeah, we'll see! Not the most inspiring two books to launch with, but who knows.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017

I'm sure some folks are going to be thrilled for this but I don't really see the appeal. I'm likely just going to stick to my Epic Collections and Omnibuses

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure either can be called a masterpiece with a straight face. Secret Wars is trash. The first year of the black suit is fairly good, but not at all a full story so that a hardcover would be all that compelling.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Tynion's run was excellent. I've fallen way behind on this run as I just don't care that much. There are a few good moments here and there, but they're so far apart that I don't have much interest in reading.

I think I was so locked in on King's run, Tynion's felt like a return to the norm which I didn't really want. But after Dark Designs I saw what he was going for and it greatly improved my experience.

Clownhunter still sucks though. Ghostmaker is okay I guess.

I'm bummed about Zdarksy's run, cause The Knight was so good I was expecting more of that. But this has been just a boring by the numbers series thus far. And on paper it should be pretty exciting! Batman's backup personality taking over and being a more ruthless and efficient Batman! But execution has been blah. And if I get yet another creative team that has Bruce treat the family like shit only to go "oh hey family is power" I'm going to lose my mind.

OP
OP
Messi

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'm the only one still enjoying this Batman run.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I was so locked in on King's run, Tynion's felt like a return to the norm which I didn't really want. But after Dark Designs I saw what he was going for and it greatly improved my experience.

Clownhunter still sucks though. Ghostmaker is okay I guess.

I'm bummed about Zdarksy's run, cause The Knight was so good I was expecting more of that. But this has been just a boring by the numbers series thus far. And on paper it should be pretty exciting! Batman's backup personality taking over and being a more ruthless and efficient Batman! But execution has been blah. And if I get yet another creative team that has Bruce treat the family like shit only to go "oh hey family is power" I'm going to lose my mind.
Clownhunter does kind of suck, but Ghostmaker was cool, as were the Gardener and to a lesser extent Miracle Molly.

I'm a big fan of King's writing and I found his Batman run interesting. Some of the highest highs (a few of the annuals with Catwoman, the double date issue, most of Jokes and Riddles), but it also had some real lows as well. Personally, I'd rather have something with top-tier highs and sub-par lows then something that's just blah, so all in all I was a fan of the run.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
My mine gripe with Zdarsky's Batman is how familiar it all has felt. Ram V's Tec has been so appealing because of how fresh it feels. No multiverse crap or evil Batman doppelgängers. Just gothic horror and street crime.

I miss the more grounded stuff

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
Guess I'm the only one still enjoying this Batman run.
Of course not, otherwise it would not be selling well. I think it's fine, honestly. Some truly good moments, but I don't feel Zdarsky knows how to truly work with Jimenez for the more grounded moments. I feel a more action-packed approach would be better suited for this book.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Of course not, otherwise it would not be selling well
Unlikef books sells all the time. I think some just feel they have a obligation to buy a specific characters comic and just continue to hate read until the next run when someone hopefully steers the ship right.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I will get to the free books at another time. Travis Moore is a madman trying to tie in all the recent bullshit that happened to Dick Grayson over the years and get it to make sense. All while going through another character with a story that feels as convoluted on paper. Yet it's an exciting time as it looks like everything will all tie together in the final arc of this run.

So... it turns out this is the true final Harley story. But that's only because it's not done by the current writer. Here we have a rather fun exercise with Harley running into some characters who happen to fit in nicely.

Spider-Woman gets more into the meet of things as the crossroad adventures come to an end. I'll give Steve Foxe credit for digging up a group from another unliked event and making it work for the most part. And he's bringing back older connects to her past as well.

Things get more interesting in Ranger Academy as characters are seen to be more shady than they appear. Plus one secret is finally out of the bag of the main character. Hopefully this is a sign of more exciting times for the book.

List:
Fantastic Four #20
Transformers #8
Poison Ivy #22
Birds of Prey #9
Shazam #11
Usagi Yojimbo : The Crow #2

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else still sad Krakoa is ending?
it's like when my local Chinese closed and I went to panda instead. sure, panda's alright. I'll still go for my fix. but it ain't my local. it will never be my local.

sorry I'm hungry