kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
If any of you live within range of Din Tai Fung you should give that a try. It's the Kingdom Come to PF Chang's Maximum Carnage.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really? The standard dishes like Sesame / Orange / Sweet and Sour are all fuckin' delicious. And that fluffy brown rice..... yum. 😋
mmm I only remember trying to Mongolian Beef and Kung Pao Chicken before. which of those three should I try the next time I go?

DarthKamen

Keeper of the White Materia
Jun 22, 2023
Finally got to read the FCBD Ultimates issue. Still amazed how much I've turned around on this new line and universe, by far the most I've been excited for a new comic.

Really intrigued how Cap is going to be characterized as we go deeper into this.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
OH GOD I BOUGHT A COMIC BOOK.

AMAZON TOOK MY MONEY AND PUT A COMIC IN MY KINDLE APP.

200w.gif

sackboy97

Oct 26, 2017
Italy
I think I still haven't bought a single Western comic on Amazon since the CMX stuff, mostly because it's not as convenient to browse for stuff. I have been buying some stuff on Amazon.co.jp, but that was never related to CMX (I think).

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I think I still haven't bought a single Western comic on Amazon since the CMX stuff, mostly because it's not as convenient to browse for stuff. I have been buying some stuff on Amazon.co.jp, but that was never related to CMX (I think).
Anything I buy is independent of browsing on Amazon. Just stuff I hear about or usually read anyway. This week was Ain't No Grave.

I do kind of miss being able to browse all the weekly releases on CMX but I do save a lot of money this way. There was a time I was spending $30+ on comics every week. That money could be going to PVC anime tiddies.

Feb 16, 2022
Gerry Duggan has a neat Krakoa X-Men retrospective type exit write up on his Substack

gerryduggan.substack.com

Krakoa: In Pictures

A Warm Place With No Memories

End of an era.
I genuinely have nothing against the man personally, but even his personal blog is so dull to read, huh.

Also I think he got the dates wrong a bit there, he was reminiscing about February 2019 and said 2 days later, the pandemic hit. I'm pretty sure he was talking about 2020.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Not exactly, but disapointed it is not evolving properly. It could have been much better (I mean after Hickman left. Maybe more Gillen / Ewing, less Gerry)
It did lose a bit of special sauce after Hickman left but it was still enjoyable
I try not to think about it and enjoy the little time we have left but they sure make it hard
Man lol
Eh. I feel like it ran it's course. I haven't really been into it since before Fall of X anyway.
That's fair

zero_fm

Mar 11, 2022
It did lose a bit of special sauce after Hickman left but it was still enjoyable
It is, I'm still reading it, I just think it could have been much better even without Hickman. Even Gerry had some very good moments, like Planet Sized X-Men, the Forge three parter and X-Men 25, but FotHoX is not working imo. RotPoX is very good though.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, disappointed it's not Capullo - he must be on a mini or something else

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
X-Men Forever #3. Im not even going to pretend like I am following whats happening in all these dumb fall of X books.

Captain America #9. Still one of Marvel's best atm.

JusDoIt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
South Central Los Angeles
Anybody else still sad Krakoa is ending?

my feelings are more complicated than that.

i'm not sad the era is ending. the quiet council, orchis, robot moira, enigma dominion, CIA beast, and resurrection protocols needed to end. those plot lines have worn out their welcome. Fall of X has been mostly awful and it needs to be put out of its misery.

i am upset that Krakoa and Arakko as mutant homes are being scrapped. extremely wasteful and unnecessary. it's like getting rid of Wakanda or Atlantis.

i am grieving over the best writer at Marvel, Al Ewing, no longer being involved in X books. Gillen will be missed to a lesser extent too.

i have zero faith in Tom Brevoort as an editor. never had interest in his Avengers work and everything he's said about From the Ashes has either turned me off or outright annoyed me. just a terrible fit for mutants, imo. every time he says "the real world" i want to cancel all my pulls.

i do like the creative lineup for the From the Ashes titles and will be giving the books a shot.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"Note to collectors: the new series kicks off with a key first appearance and a major addition to the lore of Wolverine!"

LOL
Yeah agreed. That's not really how it works. Every writer is constantly introducing "major additions" and those are almost all promptly forgotten. By now just about every character has had long lost siblings, childhood friends, ex-lovers turned villains, etc... It only matters if it's a character still around in a few years. If I were a betting man I'd say the chance of that happening is pretty low.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
my feelings are more complicated than that.

i'm not sad the era is ending. the quiet council, orchis, robot moira, enigma dominion, CIA beast, and resurrection protocols needed to end. those plot lines have worn out their welcome. Fall of X has been mostly awful and it needs to be put out of its misery.

i am upset that Krakoa and Arakko as mutant homes are being scrapped. extremely wasteful and unnecessary. it's like getting rid of Wakanda or Atlantis.

i am grieving over the best writer at Marvel, Al Ewing, no longer being involved in X books. Gillen will be missed to a lesser extent too.

i have zero faith in Tom Brevoort as an editor. never had interest in his Avengers work and everything he's said about From the Ashes has either turned me off or outright annoyed me. just a terrible fit for mutants, imo. every time he says "the real world" i want to cancel all my pulls.

i do like the creative lineup for the From the Ashes titles and will be giving the books a shot.
Reading your thoughts, I think I realized that I too will miss the island of Krakoa, Arakko and what they represented as well more than any story we got during the era(except HoX/PoX). We could've just gotten new storylines that continued to incorporate them instead of what we're getting now, which does few like a step back. The mutants earned Krakoa, they should've kept it around

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Comic newbie looking to get into Spider Gwen. If I buy the below am I getting all the comics or am I missing a chunk of the story?

SPIDER-GWEN: GHOST-SPIDER MODERN ERA EPIC COLLECTION: EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE
SPIDER-GWEN: GHOST-SPIDER OMNIBUS
SPIDER-GWEN: GWENVERSE
SPIDER-GWEN: SHADOW CLONES

Just buying this list you'll be missing a decent chunk of her first and arguably best series. The Epic Collection collects the beginning of it, though It's missing the big Spider-Verse crossover (which I think is a mistake but it's how Marvel's chosen to collect these Modern Epics unfortunately) but you can get the gist of it with the context provided without truly needing the pitstop. There's a second volume too, and they'll need a third volume to wrap it all up - there's an omnibus for the run that collects all of it but I believe that omni is currently out of print. The second volume you'd want is Weapon of Choice. The regular sized trade Unmasked should get you to the finish line of the original run alongside these if you're looking to get the full story immediately and you'll only double dip on issue #24 in the format switch up.

The Ghost Spider omnibus is for the second era of her ongoings - after her original creative team was no longer working on it. It's much more of a sequel to the Spider-Verse crossover of that era, Spider-Geddon and has more tie-ins to other books. In for a penny, in for a pound - I'd probably recommend reading Spider-Geddon alongside the first few issues in this run.

The best thing I can say about the Gwenverse/Shadow Clones/Gwen Smash mini-series are that the David Nakayama cover art is great. They're very superfluous and don't really connect much to anything else, so you could pretty much treat them as filler and skip them or take them as stand alone recent stories. Her upcoming ongoing book doesn't seem to have any connection to them as far as I can tell.

GringoSuave89

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
LA, CA
Yeah agreed. That's not really how it works. Every writer is constantly introducing "major additions" and those are almost all promptly forgotten. By now just about every character has had long lost siblings, childhood friends, ex-lovers turned villains, etc... It only matters if it's a character still around in a few years. If I were a betting man I'd say the chance of that happening is pretty low.

Well the shitty part is its clearly directed to speculators. Readers can give a shit we just want good stories.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just buying this list you'll be missing a decent chunk of her first and arguably best series. The Epic Collection collects the beginning of it, though It's missing the big Spider-Verse crossover (which I think is a mistake but it's how Marvel's chosen to collect these Modern Epics unfortunately) but you can get the gist of it with the context provided without truly needing the pitstop. There's a second volume too, and they'll need a third volume to wrap it all up - there's an omnibus for the run that collects all of it but I believe that omni is currently out of print. The second volume you'd want is Weapon of Choice. The regular sized trade Unmasked should get you to the finish line of the original run alongside these if you're looking to get the full story immediately and you'll only double dip on issue #24 in the format switch up.

The Ghost Spider omnibus is for the second era of her ongoings - after her original creative team was no longer working on it. It's much more of a sequel to the Spider-Verse crossover of that era, Spider-Geddon and has more tie-ins to other books. In for a penny, in for a pound - I'd probably recommend reading Spider-Geddon alongside the first few issues in this run.

The best thing I can say about the Gwenverse/Shadow Clones/Gwen Smash mini-series are that the David Nakayama cover art is great. They're very superfluous and don't really connect much to anything else, so you could pretty much treat them as filler and skip them or take them as stand alone recent stories. Her upcoming ongoing book doesn't seem to have any connection to them as far as I can tell.
Great job covering everything!

I'll just note that if you compare that Spider-Gwen Epic Collection to the Spider-Gwen Omnibus, here are the issues that make up the difference between the two --
SPIDER-GWEN (2015B) #9-34
SPIDER-GWEN ANNUAL #1
ALL-NEW WOLVERINE ANNUAL #1
SPIDER-MAN (2016) #12-14

I'll also link this Reddit post, which does a great job listing all of the important Spider-Gwen material, as well as her appearances in other lines and events. It's a couple years old now, but should still cover all the important stuff.

Dr. Rank

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks! I will order those 2 as well and read them after the Epic Collection right? Also more generally what news/product sites do you use to keep up with new comics for spider Gwen? I saw on Amazon there is a new (?) Series releasing later this year but I figure must be a better way to keep track.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Top 10 Non-Cape Comics of the Week

1. Beneath the Trees Where Nobody Sees #6 (Patrick Horvath) - IDW
2. The Last Mermaid #3 (Derek Kirk Kim) - Image
3. Masterpiece #5 (Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Meleev) - Dark Horse
4. Crocodile Black #1 (Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Somnath Pal) - Boom!
5. The Deviant #5 (James Tynion IV and Joshua Hixson) - Image
6. The One Hand #4 (Ram V, Laurence Campbell, and Lee Loughridge) - Image
7. The Sacrificers #8 (Rick Remender, Max Fiumara, and Dave McCaig) - Image
8. Ain't No Grave #1 (Skottie Young and Jorge Corona) - Image
9. Night People #3 (Chris Condon and Artyom Topilin)
10. Geiger #2 (Geoff Johns and Gary Frank) - Image

Beneath the Trees continues to be a must-read for anyone with the stomach for horror and gore. It's exceptionally unsettling. The Last Mermaid may very well be the sleeper hit comic of the season. Bendis' Masterpiece is the comic that fans of his Daredevil run have been wanting for years. And the rest of the list is packed full of star-studded talent creating beautiful indie work that is well deserving of your attention. Especially watch Chris Condon, whose previous work includes The Enfield Gang Massacre and That Texas Blood. He's growing into a star before our eyes.