kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Top 10 Non-Cape Comics of the Week

1. Beneath the Trees Where Nobody Sees #6 (Patrick Horvath) - IDW
2. The Last Mermaid #3 (Derek Kirk Kim) - Image
3. Masterpiece #5 (Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Meleev) - Dark Horse
4. Crocodile Black #1 (Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Somnath Pal) - Boom!
5. The Deviant #5 (James Tynion IV and Joshua Hixson) - Image
6. The One Hand #4 (Ram V, Laurence Campbell, and Lee Loughridge) - Image
7. The Sacrificers #8 (Rick Remender, Max Fiumara, and Dave McCaig) - Image
8. Ain't No Grave #1 (Skottie Young and Jorge Corona) - Image
9. Night People #3 (Chris Condon and Artyom Topilin)
10. Geiger #2 (Geoff Johns and Gary Frank) - Image

Beneath the Trees continues to be a must-read for anyone with the stomach for horror and gore. It's exceptionally unsettling. The Last Mermaid may very well be the sleeper hit comic of the season. Bendis' Masterpiece is the comic that fans of his Daredevil run have been wanting for years. And the rest of the list is packed full of star-studded talent creating beautiful indie work that is well deserving of your attention. Especially watch Chris Condon, whose previous work includes The Enfield Gang Massacre and That Texas Blood. He's growing into a star before our eyes.
I can't believe PKJ has time for another book. He is doing a ton right now. Crocodile Black's premise sounds interesting and is not what I'd have imagined him creating. I might seek it out.

tim1138

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Top 10 Non-Cape Comics of the Week

1. Beneath the Trees Where Nobody Sees #6 (Patrick Horvath) - IDW
2. The Last Mermaid #3 (Derek Kirk Kim) - Image
3. Masterpiece #5 (Brian Michael Bendis and Alex Meleev) - Dark Horse
4. Crocodile Black #1 (Phillip Kennedy Johnson and Somnath Pal) - Boom!
5. The Deviant #5 (James Tynion IV and Joshua Hixson) - Image
6. The One Hand #4 (Ram V, Laurence Campbell, and Lee Loughridge) - Image
7. The Sacrificers #8 (Rick Remender, Max Fiumara, and Dave McCaig) - Image
8. Ain't No Grave #1 (Skottie Young and Jorge Corona) - Image
9. Night People #3 (Chris Condon and Artyom Topilin)
10. Geiger #2 (Geoff Johns and Gary Frank) - Image

Beneath the Trees continues to be a must-read for anyone with the stomach for horror and gore. It's exceptionally unsettling. The Last Mermaid may very well be the sleeper hit comic of the season. Bendis' Masterpiece is the comic that fans of his Daredevil run have been wanting for years. And the rest of the list is packed full of star-studded talent creating beautiful indie work that is well deserving of your attention. Especially watch Chris Condon, whose previous work includes The Enfield Gang Massacre and That Texas Blood. He's growing into a star before our eyes.

Where's the ladies at though?

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Zdarksy really doesn't like Damian and it shows

Zdarsky had Damian defend Bruce lobotomizing Jason, imprisoning former villains who wanted to redeem themselves and in general Zur setting up an authoritarian regime in Gotham. He had him reject other characters telling him this (obviously) isn't Bruce by yelling about how his father can finally do what he was meant to do now the others aren't holding him back anymore and has him weirdly pleased that it's just him and his father now.
While Tim gets treated like a perfect angel and the only one who helps Bruce.
Come on. We all see what Zdarsky is doing here.

Even if Damian figured it out in the end, he was the last one to figure out the obvious, he aided the villain and now he's being held hostage by Zur by his own fault until the "good" Batman and Robin free him. And if they have to sacrifice anything to rescue him Damian is going to be blamed for it.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Reading your thoughts, I think I realized that I too will miss the island of Krakoa, Arakko and what they represented as well more than any story we got during the era(except HoX/PoX). We could've just gotten new storylines that continued to incorporate them instead of what we're getting now, which does few like a step back. The mutants earned Krakoa, they should've kept it around
Yeah, despite my misgivings on how it was handled, I wish it would have stayed on. And seeing what's happening next doesn't make me feel confident the new era will be better.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019
Reading your thoughts, I think I realized that I too will miss the island of Krakoa, Arakko and what they represented as well more than any story we got during the era(except HoX/PoX). We could've just gotten new storylines that continued to incorporate them instead of what we're getting now, which does few like a step back. The mutants earned Krakoa, they should've kept it around

Yeah wish we kept Krakoa

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I've said it before, but Krakoa should stayed around as a mutant sanctuary and nation. They could've wrapped up the current plots surrounding Enigma, Orchis, etc. and pivoted to a new status quo while still carrying over some aspects of Hickman's era.

There was lot of good stuff during Hickman's era but a lot of wasted potential too.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Where's the ladies at though?
Sam Maggs and Aviv Or currently killing it on Critical Role: Tales of Exandria: Artagan #3. Paulina Ganucheau and Gigi Dutreix delivered a hell of a TMNT: Black, White & Green #1. Soo Lee is elevating The Oddly Pedestrian Life of Christopher Chaos #9. All great options if you're looking for women creating away from the Big Two.

Women continue to be tragically underrepresented in the indie space, just as they are in the Big Two. Perhaps even moreso, because success on the indies is so reliant on previous success in the Big Two not just to drive sales but to cultivate creative partnerships with writers/artists that can elevate your work.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Gunn tweeted or something and mentioned DC ONE MILLION, and now the Omni is selling out on Amazon and the single issues are jumping in price on eBay. Finally time to see if I can sell the omni I got from Hamilton Books like a decade ago lol.

Now I just need Gunn to mention a few other series so I can clear out the rest of the crap on my shelf I don't want.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Gunn tweeted or something and mentioned DC ONE MILLION, and now the Omni is selling out on Amazon and the single issues are jumping in price on eBay. Finally time to see if I can sell the omni I got from Hamilton Books like a decade ago lol.

Now I just need Gunn to mention a few other series so I can clear out the rest of the crap on my shelf I don't want.
It's funny/sad that the only real way most comics move now is based on the potential connection to the movies.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
BOOM! is just going crazy with these dumb Kickstarters. Im not even sure what this even is but they are about to launch a James Tynion The First Decade collection on Kickstarter, that includes new HCs.

I did the BRZRKR Kickstarter and now they are releasing a badass HC that wasnt included in the original KS campaign.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
BOOM! is just going crazy with these dumb Kickstarters. Im not even sure what this even is but they are about to launch a James Tynion The First Decade collection on Kickstarter, that includes new HCs.

I did the BRZRKR Kickstarter and now they are releasing a badass HC that wasnt included in the original KS campaign.
I've always felt like Kickstarter is a fuckin' scam. If companies want to put out a product they can pony up for it themselves. Otherwise they can eat shit.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Get Fury #1 was not what I was expecting. Guy gets part of his face chopped off, and you see all of it lol.

Avengers #15 was dumb, but about what I expected from the Blood Hunt tie in. At least they arent fighting a bunch of Lobos lol.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
So many Batman avatars

SZDF.gif

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Had to take out or hot water heater and replace it, after trying to replace just the heating elements to fix a bad leak. Never done anything like it before. Thank god for YouTube lol.

Preview for Hickman and Sanford Greene's DOOM

aiptcomics.com

Marvel Preview: Doom #1

IN THE NEAR FUTURE… DOOM ALONE MUST SAVE THE MARVEL UNIVERSE!

Last edited:

Li Kao

Oct 25, 2017
Is Spider-Man still a train wreck ? Was Gang War good ? And Spider-Woman ?
Trying to determine a point to begin reading Spidey's current run and if there is any, err... point.

Drayco21

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
Is Spider-Man still a train wreck ? Was Gang War good ? And Spider-Woman ?
Trying to determine a point to begin reading Spidey's current run and if there is any, err... point.

Yes, no, and it's okay.

Wells continues to mischaracterize Spider-Man and his supporting cast while writing bafflingly stupid stories and ham-fistedly inserting straw man versions of critics of his work into it because Twitter got him feeling big hurt. Gang War was probably the best the run has been - but even Wells' best is still by far the worst thing coming out of ASM in the last decade. Maybe the last couple.

People are going nuts for Spider-Woman right now because they're speculating on some first appearances (or first *full* appearances at any rate since this industry likes to get precious about it I guess) and it's been one of those books that I read and then don't really think that much of afterwards - very familiar to the last run by Pacheco in that regard.

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
I needed something to read on Marvel Unlimited so I started Peter David's original X-Factor run. A few issues in and the dialogue is insufferable, just non-stop quips and lame pop culture references.

Is all his stuff this bad? I also fell off his Hulk run pretty quickly a few years back.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone read Lemire's Little Monsters? Dustin Nguyen switched back to pencils and uses like a more manga like style. Limited use of colors from the looks of the previews.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta get rid of Krakoa and bring the X-Men back to the 90s for the MCU!

bleedingcool.com

Tom Brevoort Told To Move X-Men Away From Krakoa Over Studio Concerns

Tom Brevoort, the new Group Editor of the X-Men titles, has been revealing motivations and making a few criticisms of his own.

and some tidbits about some of Hickman's intended story ideas.

bleedingcool.com

Jonathan Hickman's Namor, Franklin, Sam & Bobby Plans We Never Got

Jonathan Hickman's Krakoan Age of the X-Men is coming to an end, and it seemed to be one that happened quite abruptly,

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
That's pretty much what everyone expected, right?
I assumed there was already plenty of stories for the MCU to adapt that the comics could continue looking forwards to new ideas, rather than running back to the past lol. Oh well, hopefully Gail Simone can bring something new to the table. It's gotta be better than the Rosenberg Uncanny run.

Jo-awn

Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY
Anyone read Lemire's Little Monsters? Dustin Nguyen switched back to pencils and uses like a more manga like style. Limited use of colors from the looks of the previews.
I read the entire run last year and had it as a top 10 series at one point. It's definitely a monochromatic color palette that Nguyen employs for that series with splashes of red to emphasize things like Sin City. 30 Days of Night meets Peter Pan is how I would describe it.

I found it solid as a whole but I think the ending was not as strong as I would have hoped. You'll know what I mean after you read it. Still, if you like Lemire and/or Nguyen you'll be at home.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
yeah! it's decent. i wouldn't say it's anything uniquely special, though it does have its moments. vampire children that hints at doing some really fun storytelling that kinda doesn't know what to do, like a cat catching a mouse.

Oct 8, 2019
Gotta get rid of Krakoa and bring the X-Men back to the 90s for the MCU!

bleedingcool.com

Tom Brevoort Told To Move X-Men Away From Krakoa Over Studio Concerns

Tom Brevoort, the new Group Editor of the X-Men titles, has been revealing motivations and making a few criticisms of his own.

and some tidbits about some of Hickman's intended story ideas.

bleedingcool.com

Jonathan Hickman's Namor, Franklin, Sam & Bobby Plans We Never Got

Jonathan Hickman's Krakoan Age of the X-Men is coming to an end, and it seemed to be one that happened quite abruptly,

In the next year your going to have someone at Marvel trying to explain to Kevin Feige why they just cant put Betsy Braddock back into the body of Kwannon.