• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 30, 2017
This is awesome news. And, I think these will be games that will make use of M&KB support on Xbox at least. At least I hope they give us that option.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Excited for this.

Tried to play Planescape Torment a few years ago, but I hate playing games on PC so I kind of just fell out of it after a few hours.

Alric

Oct 27, 2017
If coming to switch at least its have touch screen like the tablet versions I have and thatd be great.

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if they'll implement the GM tools for NWN to console as well. Personally, I think this collection could have waited for an updated NWN2 as well.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, this is great, back in the day I had a piece of shit computer so it'll be nice to play these with modern resolutions and controls.

Bane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Why is it always the whackest Baldurs Gate games that keep getting released.

WHERE IS BALDUR'S GATE: DARK ALLIANCE 1 & 2. THOSE ARE THE ONES I WANT.

Hell, I'd be fine with just 2. The first is fine but the second was a big improvement.

Nonetheless, it's a shame those and the Champions of Norrath games are stuck in that gen.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Would be cool on Switch, PS4 & Xbox it's gonna be err "interesting" unless they do a compete overhaul.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
Granted it has been a looong time since I've played these on PC in my youth. But is there any reason it couldn't adopt a controller scheme similar to Diablo 3 on consoles? I know it has a lot more going on with inventory management, skills, abilities, party members, dialogue trees, etc - but maybe it could work? It has been so long I don't particularly remember all the ins and outs.

The problem is that the underlying engine for most of these games isnt terribly robust. It was made to play these specific types of games and there's not much you can change about it to fit other control schemes. Unless someone at Beamdog unlocked some dark magic in the engine, it's pretty certain these games are still going to just be using the controller to emulate mouse and keyboard functions

Killzig

Oct 25, 2017
That's cool but these games are gonna require waaaaay more modification to play well on a controller than I'm confident they can or will do.
I think the only one of these Beamdog remasters that has actually been an improvement over just the old games + mods has been the PST rework. Beamdog has a pretty bad track record with these and I'd be skeptical of anything they put out on consoles. If you have a PC and are interested in playing these games you should do so on that platform.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I think the only one of these Beamdog remasters that has actually been an improvement over just the old games + mods has been the PST rework. Beamdog has a pretty bad track record with these and I'd be skeptical of anything they put out on consoles. If you have a PC and are interested in playing these games you should do so on that platform.
Man this is a load.

I've been following them since the start and only BG1 and BG2 had rough launches and since release they have had thousands of bugs fixed and tweaked and features added. Icewind Dale in paticular is a huge improvement right out of the gate. Claiming they are pretty rough now is totally not representitive of how they run. They pretty much are now the definitive way to play these games.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah well I don't see a problem with that :D
Also they added that turn-based mode in PoE2, no?

PoE2's turn based mode was made on a modern engine by the original developers with a game they made

All of these games are on ancient engines, with systems made by people that are scattered to the winds, either in lots of companies or outright retired. How will Beamdog convert the RTwP mechanics to turnbased? Can you even make a turnbased grid system in the infinity engine?

Not a fair comparison

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
PoE2's turn based mode was made on a modern engine by the original developers with a game they made

All of these games are on ancient engines, with systems made by people that are scattered to the winds, either in lots of companies or outright retired. How will Beamdog convert the RTwP mechanics to turnbased? Can you even make a turnbased grid system in the infinity engine?

Not a fair comparison

Beamdog updated the engine with the Enhanced Editions...

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
Beamdog updated the engine with the Enhanced Editions...

So they are going to modify their modification of an ancient game/engine and upend all the systems to a completely different play format?

And that's the same as Obsidian adding a turnbased mode to a game that they made and released a year ago?

Beamdog Just 'moderizing' the basic versions of the games took lots of updates and troubleshooting.

Trying to make them turnbased would be almost remaking the game in its entirety.

Edit: please bear in mind, even if updated the engine used to build these games Is about 20 years old, balder's gate 1 was released in 1998.

Last edited:

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Neat...although I cannot imagine them playing well with a controller. At least combat can be paused while you fumble around with what will probably just be an analog stick emulated mouse cursor.

Switch would be okay with touchscreen.

I've been following them since the start and only BG1 and BG2 had rough launches and since release they have had thousands of bugs fixed and tweaked and features added. Icewind Dale in paticular is a huge improvement right out of the gate. Claiming they are pretty rough now is totally not representitive of how they run. They pretty much are now the definitive way to play these games.

They did have some rough starts but have been really good about following up and fixing bugs for all of the releases. I'd have no qualms about recommending any of their remastered games.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017

IWD EE was great at launch.

BG1 and BG2 EEs had some iffy initial releases but currently I can think of no reason to play the vanilla versions of these games over them.

RNGesus

Banned
Aug 3, 2018
Great news, I can't wait to never finish them like I do with all massive RPG's I end up starting.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
While i won't be triple/quadruple dipping on these games (gog originals/ee on pc and in some cases ee on ipad) this is great news for those who have never played these games.

Now how about the Dark Allience games? Loved those games and would love a chance to trplay them.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
While i won't be triple/quadruple dipping on these games (gog originals/ee on pc and in some cases ee on ipad) this is great news for those who have never played these games.

Now how about the Dark Allience games? Loved those games and would love a chance to trplay them.

I think the issue for those two games is that company and license was different, and possibly and probably lost (company went under over the years)

kitzkozan

Oct 25, 2017
Having physical copies of these classics would be a reason to buy them, even if they are designed as PC games. They should go all out and include old school manuals

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of early BioWare, KOTOR games, etc

Never plyed Baldurs Gate. What should I expect from them?

BG1 was Bioware's first attempt at an RPG and it's low level D&D. A lot of it is walking around wilderness areas, getting into fights, and getting better equipment. The story is ok. Your companions will have personality but they won't interact much with you or the story. It's pretty big and so a lot of people find it dull. I like it because it's a great starting point for the story that takes shape in BG2 and it has a real sense of adventure. Combat is pretty simplistic since it's low level but it's fine.

BG2 remains the best thing Bioware has ever done by far. Everything is improves over the first game and it's just packed with content. the story and quests (so many quests) are a lot better than in the first game (and any other Bioware game), and companions will interact with you, each other, and the story a lot more (not as much as in modern games aside from the romanceable characters). It's just the best.

Armaros

Oct 25, 2017
BG1 was Bioware's first attempt at an RPG and it's low level D&D. A lot of it is walking around wilderness areas, getting into fights, and getting better equipment. The story is ok. Your companions will have personality but they won't interact much with you or the story. It's pretty big and so a lot of people find it dull. I like it because it's a great starting point for the story that takes shape in BG2 and it has a real sense of adventure. Combat is pretty simplistic since it's low level but it's fine.

BG2 remains the best thing Bioware has ever done by far. Everything is improves over the first game and it's just packed with content. the story and quests (so many quests) are a lot better than in the first game (and any other Bioware game), and companions will interact with you, each other, and the story a lot more (not as much as in modern games aside from the romanceable characters). It's just the best.

Never forget your mages having one magic missile spell and trying to kite wolves with slings cause the Wizard has 4/4 HP. Dat d4 hp dice

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017

Not a fair comparison
Fair enough, but they'd need to make adjustments and tweaks for the games to be console/controller friendly, at least, so who knows what else they can do... I can hope... xD

tiesto

Oct 27, 2017
Long Island, NY
I'm curious as to what they'll do with the interfaces... imo the infinity engine is pretty clunky as-is, even with keyboard and mouse. If they try to bolt that onto a controller, it'll be a mess. But if they rework the interface from the ground up, making it more controller friendly, that'll be cool...

capitalCORN

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The problem here is that most people will play with a large party. And with BG1 and Icewind Dale specifically, it's going to be some fiddly touch and go.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome, but veeeery curious how they'll make the transition to console. Seems like a UI nightmare.

Ifrit

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to play these games for a long time but I absolutely hate playing with kb/m. If the ports are good, I'll consider them.

Yeah if they get controller working properly this could even be a definitive version of this games, I'm hoping something like what happened with Diablo 3 on consoles

futurevoid

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking why would they skip Dark Alliance. WHY.
Same general D&D license, totally different engine/game. Beamdog have worked on updating/enhancing the old school Infinity Engine games (the outlier being NWN) that were developed by Bioware and Black Isle Studios. Black Isle and interplay published the Dark Alliance games if memory serves but Snowblind Studios handled the development of the first title and Black Isle did the second. Both games were developed on the Snowblind engine. Beamdog have not done any development work on that engine as far as I am aware of.

Considering porting these to console will entail console level optimizations along with UI and control changes - that's a different "lift" than dealing with remastering and re-releasing the Dark Alliance games which use a totally different core engine. Also, who even owns the Dark Alliance IP at this point? Last I knew, Interplay was actively selling it off in 2016.

Last edited: