Salmonax

Oct 27, 2017
Weird that I'm getting ads for PAX in this thread.
a post by steve jobs

Truth. I've had conversations with folks who were at Atari when he was, and allegedly he had overwhelming BO. At least at the time.

I think generally people who think deodorant is a scam have just decided they're fine with smelling bad. And maybe they've never been on packed public transit.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Re: op, mouthwash is about as good for your oral health as makeup is good for your health. Which is to say, it's not good for your health but it it makes you feel better about yourself then go for it. And who knows maybe cosmetic stuff like how you look or how you feel about your breath *is* health.

Anything that mouthwash company's tell you about oral health and mouthwash is pretty much completely made up by the marketing department. Even the word 'halitosis' was a word that was not in any normal use until Listerine discovered it in a random ignores medical journal and tried to make it into a common phrase (successfully)

Last edited:

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Kitchen scissors are not a scam. They're super useful in cutting meat like around the spinal column of a bird. How else to you spatchcock a chicken/turkey??

Shaving cream is not a scam. It makes shaving way easier on your damn face if you're using one of those conventional mass market razers, which millions of people use.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if cotton swabs count as a scam, but the overwhelming majority of people do way more harm with them to their ears than good. It's the number one cause of ear damage is using cotton swabs, it's so much of a problem that Q-tip the leading cotton swabs company puts right on the box in huge letter "DO NOT USE THESE IN YOUR EAR." and the marketing doesn't show anybody using them in their ears, but like cleaning tools and doing makeup with them. But the majority of people who buy them use them specifically to shove them into their ears.

lint2015

Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to go outside and ask people of the time by not having a clock on your wall. There's your phone, TV, and/or smart watch. You can access all of them from your seat inside your home. That's a ridicilous comparison/compromise.
That was the point. Most of the things suggested here are ridiculous.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. It actually washes the fluoride from the toothpaste away and causes more harm than good.
Really, if you ask a dentist if you should use mouthwash after drinking a soda or eating candy etc. They'll say, don't eat or drink those things also brush your teeth. But I'd imagine they will say it's better than doing nothing.

Sampson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Re: op, mouthwash is about as good for your oral health as makeup is good for your health. Which is to say, it's not good for your health but it it makes you feel better about yourself then go for it. And who knows maybe cosmetic stuff like how you look or how you feel about your breath *is* health.

Anything that mouthwash company's tell you about oral health and mouthwash is pretty much completely made up by the marketing department. Even the word 'halitosis' was a word that was not in any normal use until Listerine discovered it in a random ignores medical journal and tried to make it into a common phrase (successfully)

Bad breath is real though, and can effect your life in a negative way.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Bad breath is real though, and can effect your life in a negative way.

Yes I think I said the same thing in the post you quoted.

On the whole too if you have chronic bad breath, mouth wash really does nothing beyond the 5mins after you use it. Chronic bad breath starts in your gut, most of the time, not your mouth. Mouth wash might mask bad breath for a few minutes after using it, but it's probably not doing anything to prevent or stop bad breath. The cartoons in mouth wash commercials that show halitosis or serious bad breath being caused by germs on your teeth or something is ridiculous.

But like I said it's mostly about confidence, like makeup or a fresh haircut, not oral health like the marketing campaigns say it is. If makeup makes you confident and makes you feel good, that can arguably be a health benefits. Likewise if you have chronic bad breath and mouthwash makes you feel good and confident, then again, that can be argued it's a health benefit by some. So go for it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 6215

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I read the first two pages of this thread, then started skimming. Were any sources posted for any of this stuff? Always up for more effective habits, but no time to wade through pages of fluffy nonsense.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
I dunno if cotton swabs count as a scam, but the overwhelming majority of people do way more harm with them to their ears than good. It's the number one cause of ear damage is using cotton swabs, it's so much of a problem that Q-tip the leading cotton swabs company puts right on the box in huge letter "DO NOT USE THESE IN YOUR EAR." and the marketing doesn't show anybody using them in their ears, but like cleaning tools and doing makeup with them. But the majority of people who buy them use them specifically to shove them into their ears.
Actually it says you shouldn't put them in your ear canal but it does suggest on the packaging that you can use them to clean your outer ear.

Mulciber

Aug 22, 2018
Do you have like three facial hairs or something
Nah, I just read some article about it all like five years ago and made the switch. The arguments the article made were that shaving cream is a trap. Basically, years of using it actually make your skin weaker and more prone to being hurt without it. It takes like two weeks to ween yourself off. I did it, and it worked great for me.

But based off of the other replies in this thread, I don't feel comfortable just giving that advice out anymore. So, I guess the post you quoted will be the last time I do it. (I will still keep shaving with just a razor and hot water though.)

iWannaHat

Jul 1, 2019
wait, what? I put hot sauce on everything. Cottage cheese, fries, spaghetti, pizza, everything.I like the taste of hot sauce contrasted with other flavors, not just "spicy everything "

and I have to cook for other people who don't want their carbonara preloaded with vinegary Tabasco or velvety cholula or garlicky sweet sriracha.
These people are toxic and you don't need them in your life.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lightbulbs are a scam, just capture sunlight!

Wait, this is a silly thread, right? Are there real suggestions in this thread to actually forgo hygiene, I cannot tell these days.