• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Huntersknoll

Oct 25, 2017
Well.. Just got back from the doctor and I have the flu. Can't work the rest of the week. Seems like the perfect opportunity to play Persona 5. I am finally ready

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
Well.. Just got back from the doctor and I have the flu. Can't work the rest of the week. Seems like the perfect opportunity to play Persona 5. I am finally ready

C_m6cq-U0AAkr9y.jpg

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
It is generally better to assume that any time in between palace deadlines is going to be spent in plot-advancing cutscenes and little else. P5 actually isn't all that different from P3 and P4 in that regard, except P5 gives you an opportunity to claim DLC and save every night while the prior games would just advance the calendar until they were done feeding you cutscenes.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
I bought the game day one and put into it almost 40 hours... and only around the end-ish part of the second Palace. For whatever reason (exams, vacations and all that) I abandoned it and never return (despite loving it) I guess due to how much of it I had forgotten.

I returned to it a week ago and I'm as engaged as I was last year. The setting is so comfy and the gameplay loop can be so fun, and I haven't even met most of the cast yet.

Just two questions, without spoilers obviously (I'm in mid-June):
  • Does the "main" plot get more interesting/prominent? I like the game a lot so far and truly wouldn't mind if it all were a slice of life thing, but I'm interested in something bigger. Also, in terms of story, how (generally) do the rest of the Palaces compare to the first two?
  • How many requests did you guys usually tackle in one go? I really don't feel like wasting more time than necessary in Mementos.

NeoChaos

Oct 28, 2017
NorCal
  • There is a much bigger plot going on behind the scenes, and it will get more prominent as the game goes on. Around the 3rd or 4th palace is when it really starts to show, and it really starts to kick in around the the 5th palace.
  • Depends on your playstyle, but I usually waited until I had 8-10 requests stockpiled before going into Mementos.

Tornak

Feb 7, 2018
  • There is a much bigger plot going on behind the scenes, and it will get more prominent as the game goes on. Around the 3rd or 4th palace is when it really starts to show, and it really starts to kick in around the the 5th palace.
  • Depends on your playstyle, but I usually waited until I had 8-10 requests stockpiled before going into Mementos.
Also make sure you hit the bottom of Mementos in December.
Yeah, I'm guessing it's the whole interrogation (and the in media res beginning) going on. I think I can see where it's (generally) going and I'm very curious about the guy that essentially sends you into probation. It's a shame that I got spoiled (quite some time ago) about (SPOILERS FOR THE WHOLE GAME):
that guy who betrays you or whatever. Although the little I've seen of him already seemed suspicious to me. I don't know if it's big, unexpected or something that then gets reverted, but yeah.

I only have two requests, so I'll wait a bit and focus on my Confidants and stats for now, especially as these Memento fights don't give me much EXP and I'm quite healthy, money-wise. I'll be sure to reach the bottom before December, I would really hate leaving that unfinished.

Thank you guys!

Nov 1, 2017
Does anyone have early game suggestions? I just finished Palace #1 with time to spare, and I only seem to be able to slightly increase my friendship slightly with Ryuji and Sojiro with each remaining day. I could potentially spend my time making coffee, working, reading books, or other tasks. I realize this is an RPG so it's mostly up to me as a player, but as a completionist I can't help but ask what the best recommended option is. :s

Oct 27, 2017
PIT
So there's some tips on time management?

Yes, make sure when you hang with a Confidant you have the corresponding arcana persona type. Helps rank quicker.
Do the new activities as they're brought up, because they boost stats that help you out later, including confidant ranks.
Talking about ranks, don't worry about scholarship that much, focus on the others.
Don't go to bed without doing SOMETHING. Always be improving.
And finally, have fun. Don't fast travel too much, enjoy the atmosphere. Etc.

Does anyone have early game suggestions? I just finished Palace #1 with time to spare, and I only seem to be able to slightly increase my friendship slightly with Ryuji and Sojiro with each remaining day. I could potentially spend my time making coffee, working, reading books, or other tasks. I realize this is an RPG so it's mostly up to me as a player, but as a completionist I can't help but ask what the best recommended option is. :s

Ok, don't worry too much about Sojiro at this time, the coffee is good to have in Palaces but he ranks up later in the game. Make sure you have the corresponding arcana types for each confidant and work on whatever rank you need to be with Ann. Also have you seen Tae yet? That's another confidant to level up.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

First thing you should do is accept you won't get everything done in your first playthrough. It's possible but it requires pretty strict rooting from the first day, which is clearly already shot. Just spend time how you'd like and it'll work out.

Also keep in mind that having a Persona of the arcana matching the person you're hanging out with increases the gains made to your relationship. So if you've decided up hang out with Ryuji, make sure you have a Persona of the Chariot arcana with you.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Finally after 135 Hours over the past 3 Months I saw the end credits. I already started up NG+, I only need to get to the second palace before I can platinum the game. Just one more persona to fuse and then the last trophy which I've already started to prepare for. was a great game, both excited and sad that my time is coming to an end.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Hi, question from a new player here:

Is there any particular reason to keep Arsene around? He doesn't seem particularly strong, and I find it hard to keep him leveled up. It seems the easiest way to keep Personas at your level is to fuse them or capture them, rather than raise them.

Steiner

Oct 29, 2017
Hi, question from a new player here:

Is there any particular reason to keep Arsene around? He doesn't seem particularly strong, and I find it hard to keep him leveled up. It seems the easiest way to keep Personas at your level is to fuse them or capture them, rather than raise them.

Fuse him away. Personas are like anti Pokemon, if you're familiar with that.You should always fuse them, rather than train, at least until the late game.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So after all the build up in my head, I finally fought the Reaper at level 65, first play through not NG+, and I must say it was fairly easy. I guess I prepared so much that in the end he couldn't really do much. I just kept repeating this same strategic loop that he never managed to overcome or deviate beyond.

Basically I put up an insta kill shield after I luckily evaded the first mudo he threw my way, and after that all he did was spam Megidolaon over and over. I just kept using Debilitate and buffs, plus Black Viper (best Almighty spell) whilst concentrated, and kept the rest of my team either healing, buffing, debuffing or doing charged or concentrated attacks. The Almighty Viper attacks on my MC did some mega damage. I think I was hitting him for 600-900 each time with it, so it didn't take too long to whittle him down.

After beating him my whole party went straight up to level 70. Just the final boss left now I think.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
So, I finally arrived at this palace which looks lime a boat. How long until the end!?
You're roughly 75% of the way there.

As posted previously, if you are trying to rush through the game to reach the end as quickly as possible, don't. Start playing in shorter sessions rather than forcing yourself to keep playing past the point that it is enjoyable.

Last edited:

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
You're roughly 70% of the way there.

As posted previously, if you are trying to rush through the game to reach the end as quickly as possible, don't. Start playing in shorter sessions rather than forcing yourself to keep playing past the point that it is enjoyable.

I have 102 hours of game. It's gettting too long... but tooooooo loooooonnnggg... i just want it to end. (But im enjoying the game).

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I just met Haru. How close am I to the end?

Also, I got to be honest, Morgana is pissing me the fuck off. I'm not a fan of his character recently at all. Teddie was much better.

Oct 27, 2017
PIT

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
So I just met Haru. How close am I to the end?

Also, I got to be honest, Morgana is pissing me the fuck off. I'm not a fan of his character recently at all. Teddie was much better.
Gonna call that the 60% mark. I think I need to revise the percentage I gave earlier a little higher on second thought.

Oct 25, 2017
I have 102 hours of game. It's gettting too long... but tooooooo loooooonnnggg... i just want it to end. (But im enjoying the game).
thats...a lot of playtime to only be that far. I took my time and still beat the game in 112 hours. You have by my guess at least 20 hours left, granted its been a while since my first playthrough and I'm not sure how accurate that number is.

Ostinatto

Oct 30, 2017
I´m on 9/22 , i have to send the calling card, but i have 2 weeks till the deadline and i can´t date anyone in the meanwhile? whats wrong?

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
So, I haven't played this since launch and I'm still in Kamoshida's Palace, on the roof, with very little SP energy left, on a Sunday (April 24) with 8 days left (expulsion on Friday).

I haven't played in ages and I forget, but can I revisit this dungeon during the week or only on weekends? Such a dumb question -_-

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
So, I haven't played this since launch and I'm still in Kamoshida's Palace, on the roof, with very little SP energy left, on a Sunday (April 24) with 8 days left (expulsion on Friday).

I haven't played in ages and I forget, but can I revisit this dungeon during the week or only on weekends? Such a dumb question -_-
On weekdays and weekends alike. Either way, be sure not to wait until the last minute to send the calling card when the time comes. After locating the treasure, you won't be able to send the calling card until the next day at the earliest, and it won't be received by the target until the day after that. In short, if you were to wait until there were only two days left before finding the treasure and sending the card for instance, you wouldn't have enough time and it would be too late to beat the deadline.

Epcott

Oct 25, 2017
US, East Coast
On weekdays and weekends alike. Either way, be sure not to wait until the last minute to send the calling card when the time comes. After locating the treasure, you won't be able to send the calling card until the next day at the earliest, and it won't be received by the target until the day after that. In short, if you were to wait until there were only two days left before finding the treasure and sending the card for instance, you wouldn't have enough time and it would be too late to beat the deadline.

Thanks for the heads up, I was nearly tempted to wait until the last second! This game says "Take your time" on the load screen... but I always feel like I never have enough time to do what I need, lol.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the game there! Took me 90.5 hrs. I feel so lost ... I'm just sitting feeling so empty and sad that it's over. Maybe I'll do NG+ but not sure I can bring myself to do it right now. I think I'm gonna focus on some other games for now and of course there is the anime which has just started so I'll be watching that. I remember hesitating about buying this game but I'm so glad I gave it a shot now because I've totally fell in love with Persona. I wish I could play the other games and it seems like it's gonna be a really long wait until the next game.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Slightly LTTP, just beat this game for the first time and I gotta say it was worth the nearly 10 year wait. I loved it.

The game has some flaws. I can see what people mean when they say the pacing isn't great. Honestly, there was a significant chunk of the game where I merely liked the game but didn't love it. It takes a while for things to come together, but they eventually do, and in the end the game won me over.

Another problem I have with the game is that while while I really liked the story, the line-for-line dialog isn't that great. There's quite a lot of repetitive dialog in the game, and there's also a lot of fluff that isn't very interesting. Random chatter among characters can be fun when done well (see Xenoblade 2 for an example of this), but in this game the characters' personalities don't resonate with each other super well, and their chatter is kind of boring. I do want to give a positive mention to the song lyrics though: the writing there is kind of awesome and better than the dialog in the game proper.

But anyway, the game didn't need to have great dialog to have a compelling story. And what a great story it was. I think the ongoing PR war you fight is such a unique idea for a plot, and it's very topical. But more than that, I love just how triumphant the story is. This is the story of the birth of new heroes for a new generation, a story that can inspire and give hope. I remember there was a thread on here asking whether the story would be better if the Phantom Thieves were morally ambiguous. I don't think so. These days anti-heroes are very trendy, so I actually think it's refreshing to have heroes that are, well, heroes: symbols of strength and goodness that can be aspired to. We need heroes these days.

My favorite story moment in the game how
it opens with what appears to be the team's crushing defeat, but actually it is their crowning achievement. What an awesome twist. So often we see twists in stories that things are worse than they appear, so it was cool to have the reverse, where things are better than they appear.

Also, for the record, as soon as I saw Akechi I knew we were in for Death Note shenanigans. Was not disappointed.

Putting the story aside, the game play is such a huge step up from Persona 4. The dungeons are actually a lot of fun this time around. They can be quite long and grueling (the 7th palace is longer than some entire games XD), but that only heightened my sense of accomplishment upon finishing them. Unfortunately the battle system is similar to before, and is still pretty boring (I usually love turn-based battle systems, but the Persona series's is a bit too simple. Look to Atlus's own Etrian Odyssey series for an example of a great turn-based battle system). I switched the difficulty from normal to hard halfway through the game, and that made it more fun, but I still don't think it's a great battle system.

Overall though, taking the whole experience of this game into account, I thoroughly loved it. In many ways it feels like a retread of the (also great) Persona 4, but ultimately I think this game surpasses it. It's just bigger and bolder. And the dungeons are fun.

Can't wait to see what's next from the Persona team. I kinda hope they can make a new game relatively soon using the same engine and tech. But I guess we'll see ^_^;

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017
89 hours and...done. Maxed out all confidants, missed one request by not reading a text. Satan was my most powerful persona. Had enough yen at the end to fuse some more late game persona, but didn't end up needing to, as I beat the final boss on the first try. That fight was also the only one where I ended up using any items at all (Soma). That is also how I discovered that all the curry I made could not be used during battles.

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Heya! P4 golden is one of my fav jrpgs but i had to restart that game like 3 times due to my messed up schedules. Also that battle system burnt me out in SMT & P games quite a lot.

The only was for me to finish P4G was to play it on easy mode just for the story. Those dungeons were boring.

Now i am gonna get P5 soon. Should i start on easy mode? I know it sounds stupid but is combat any dif from p4 or dungeons?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
Heya! P4 golden is one of my fav jrpgs but i had to restart that game like 3 times due to my messed up schedules. Also that battle system burnt me out in SMT & P games quite a lot.

The only was for me to finish P4G was to play it on easy mode just for the story. Those dungeons were boring.

Now i am gonna get P5 soon. Should i start on easy mode? I know it sounds stupid but is combat any dif from p4 or dungeons?
Combat is pretty similar to P4 but the dungeons are more interesting. They're not randomized, they have some puzzles.

If you find dungeon crawling boring, why not try playing on hard instead of easy? You'll be forced to learn the battle mechanics in greater depth, which can make the game more interesting.

EccoCid

Mar 7, 2018
London
Combat is pretty similar to P4 but the dungeons are more interesting. They're not randomized, they have some puzzles.

If you find dungeon crawling boring, why not try playing on hard instead of easy? You'll be forced to learn the battle mechanics in greater depth, which can make the game more interesting.

Well there was nothing interesting in P4G battles imo for someone who had played P3 or SMT3. But if there are some puzzles easy mode sounds actually more fun. I was just rushing in P4G for the next story event in dungeons.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Already watched some of ENB's videos on youtube, finally a good LP! Feels great to revisit the game without having to actually replay it. :p

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Well there was nothing interesting in P4G battles imo for someone who had played P3 or SMT3. But if there are some puzzles easy mode sounds actually more fun. I was just rushing in P4G for the next story event in dungeons.

Yeah, the p5 battles are no better. Everything looks nice but it's as bare bones as any RPG battle system could be.

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I'm kinda bored with the game waiting for Futaba to wake up. How does the game goes after she wakes up? Does it get better?