• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 46922

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Now I know what VR is really capable of for gaming, media, and even communicating, I'm sure this is something that will change technology and how we perceive it in the not to distant future. (imho, but I can't imagine it not being that important.)

But what's troubling me is that people are having many different experiences concerning VR.
I want this to succeed immensely, but all these different tactics seem to hurt VR more than it helps VR.
The FB approach of first making it widely available and easy to use, the pc headset manufacturers that drift between consumer use and professional use, and lots of other completely different approaches, light houses, inside tracking etc...
The price points and effort needed to make it work for you as a consumer can vary enormously, and the lack of QC within the more innovating companies is also a problem in my opinion.
This all seems to lead to a user experience that will differ greatly, given the choice that the consumer makes.

Wouldn't it be better to have some kind of standard this early in it's lifespan? I know variety can be a blessing, like with different consoles with different priorities.
But they started out by just pushing the technology forward as much as possible in the past.
I really believe it's too soon to have this much variety in experiences concerning VR and think it even might slow down the mass acceptance of it because of that fact.

What do you think?

OP
OP

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Wow, after a more than a year on this forum . Guess I won't be making any new topics anytime soon.
Was my first OP really that bad? :D

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
To be honest I think the only issue is software. There's plenty of good content but I strongly feel that VR is lacking a consistent stream of killer apps. Oculus and PlayStation are already really good at getting word out about the big games they do have, but they're so few and far between (im defining these as large games with meaningful sales potential).

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
Wow, after a more than a year on this forum . Guess I won't be making any new topics anytime soon.
Was my first OP really that bad? :D
You chose the wrong topic. VR is pretty niche on Era.
Heck, even the Beat Saber OT is dead, and thats the most successful VR game with a massive and active community, but not on here.

Overall I am very optimistic, though. VR is too good to fail, imo.
It will just take some more time. We are just now seeing the first wireless headsets, and they are still very limited power wise. Once wireless can be combined with plenty of power as well as a low entry price around 200€, then we will start seeing mass market adoption.
And until then I hope we will see many more innovative gameplay concepts making the most out of VR.

OP
OP

Deleted member 46922

Banned
Aug 21, 2018
Is bumping your own only made topic in over a year allowed on this forum, because I think it just became relevant again. :o