• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
"Trying to maintain creativity within a organisation like MS, isnt as hard people think it is, its really just about the leadership group within Microsoft that understands the value of creativity and creative games"

Its good to see that leadership part coming back alot of times in interviews with the new studio's.

Some other nice quotes

They basically came to us and said. We want you to keep doing what you are doing really well, but now you have a budget

"We have been told to keep making really weird, just different things, so on a creative standpoint it has been all positive

This comes from the docu released today about the We Happy Few development

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
As expected. The number of studios that have joined would be waaaay smaller and we would have heard people speak out if this was in any case an issue.

Like you really think Double Fine would have been happy to join if they couldn't continue to be Double Fine?

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not surprised. i think MS knows now that they'll get the best out of these studios when they give them creative freedom.

BackToKitchen10

Alt-account
Banned
Dec 14, 2019
That's not true, Microsoft is cracking the whip forcing them to make multiplayer games full of microtransactions

Duh

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
The other day i went back and read the thread from e3 2018 about all the new studios microsoft aquired, and I couldn't believe the amount of idiocity and fearmongering that people kept spouting back then. Glad everything is turning out great with them

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It helps that Microsoft is keeping the newly acquired studios as independent entities and not simply dissolving them in to the Microsoft aether. It allows the studios to operate - on a cultural level - almost as they always have.

Similarly to how Sony treats their acquisitions - eg MediaMolecule is still its own entity with its own P&L, despite being owned by Sony and being focused on Sony's platforms.

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
MS-owned company has nice things to say about being an MS-owned company, more at 11.

What were they going to say, "Microsoft actually stifles creativity and makes us make certain types of games"?

ImaLawy3r

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 6, 2019
The other day i went back and read the thread from e3 2018 about all the new studios microsoft aquired, and I couldn't believe the amount of idiocity and fearmongering that people kept spouting back then. Glad everything is turning out great with them
MS putting 12 teams to work on halo/gears/forza. good times.
Fear mongering in gaming culture. This should be talked about at length. (I know mazi was being /s)

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
MS-owned company has nice things to say about being an MS-owned company, more at 11.

What were they going to say, "Microsoft actually stifles creativity and makes us make certain types of games"?
internet person: why would you join them?! screw you guys

dev: well they are actually really hands off and it lets us explore what we want to make and knowing we will be ok financially is great and we have a larger budget than we have ever had

internet person: you just say that because you are owned by them

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
The thing is that even if leadership is great right now that doesn't mean it always will be. When that happens and studios are shuttered, IP rights won't be released and will be trapped within large orgs like MS.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
The thing is that even if leadership is great right now that doesn't mean it always will be. When that happens and studios are shuttered, IP rights won't be released and will be trapped within large orgs like MS.
This could be true with any publisher. Playstation or nintendo leadership could change tomorrow and then suddenly all of their studios are under a shitty manager.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
This could be true with any publisher. Playstation or nintendo leadership could change tomorrow and then suddenly all of their studios are under a shitty manager.

You're not wrong, hence "large orgs like MS" and not MS specifically.

Nintendo hasn't really been in the acquisition business have they though? Mostly partnerships.

Brrandon

Dec 13, 2019
You're not wrong, hence "large orgs like MS" and not MS specifically.

Nintendo hasn't really been in the acquisition business have they though? Mostly partnerships.
Yeah they havent, but i was basically referring to all their separate teams in their development group as studios that could suddenly have a manager that disagrees with the creative goals of them

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
internet person: why would you join them?! screw you guys

dev: well they are actually really hands off and it lets us explore what we want to make and knowing we will be ok financially is great and we have a larger budget than we have ever had

internet person: you just say that because you are owned by them

I'm glad they joined them. You can be happy for a developer gaining resources and security without taking everything they say at face value. Great if true.

Se_7_eN

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Drive-by post
But, don't get TOO creative!

220px-Scalebound_cover_art.jpg

Oct 30, 2017
Good to hear, and I never imagined it to be otherwise for several years now. That expectation change with a shift in strategy. Spencer and Microsoft have been doing great things.

Now I wish studios could say the same for EA, an organization that does have restrictions in place. Creative freedom as long as there's a recurring revenue source attached to it.

MP!

Oct 30, 2017
Las Vegas
for a while there I think MS took quite the opposite approach to game development ... I'm glad to see that this has shifted...
I mean... it's kind of leadership 101
Let the people do what they do best and just guide it...

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
But, don't get TOO creative!
One example of a partnership failing which happens with multiple different publishers doesn't disprove of what's been said here. We've seen multiple studios completely happy. There's a lot of factors that can happen during development beyond just creativity that can lead to a cancellation. I think it's quite clear there's been a shift in direction from MS as well since Phil took over.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
It's good that it seems to be working out for Compulsion, and that MS have learned from previous studio closures like Lionhead. Oversight, support and funding is certainly great, but when it affects a successful studio's culture things will gradually go downhill, if not straight away.

I'm not a big fan of MS but I'm looking forward to seeing what's coming over the next few years from them, they're in a better position than they have been in a long time, and they've learned their lesson the hard way which I'm sure they don't want to repeat.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Wish they had taken this approach with Rare back in the early years of their relationship, but oh well. I guess they had to learn from their mistakes after all.

Good to hear things seem to be better for Microsoft's first party studios these days. Hopefully.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

True, but we also would have heard stories of negativity if that wasn't the case. Which we haven't.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017

A disgruntled anonymous employee would have said something by now if the opposite was true.
Why start with skepticism.....why not jump in with optimism?
Is the world that bleak for you that anything good must have a catch or something?

MickZan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really curious where this studio is heading next. I did not like their previous games at all. On a technical level you could objectively call them bad. They have a good art team though.

And well duh. It shows how bad Microsoft has been in the past that this even needs to be said.