Deleted member 16516

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
netflix-is-developing-a-live-action-conan-the-barbarian-series-social.jpg

Today, all at once, Hollywood's beefiest bois all perked up at once, as if they knew their time had come. The reason: Deadline reports that a Conan the Barbarian TV series is in the works at Netflix, part of a deal between the streaming service and Conan Properties International. The deal would give Netflix exclusive access to the vast literary history of the Conan character, created by Robert E. Howard, which stretches back to 1953 and encompasses more than 50 novels.
collider.com

Conan the Barbarian TV Series Coming to Netflix

A TV series based on the Conan the Barbarian novels, mostly known as film vehicle for a young Arnold Schwarzenegger, is coming to Netflix.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Be interesting to see if they actually adapt the many novels instead of trying to do their own thing like the movies all did. If they do... well, if there were some elements of Tolkein's work that were problematic from a racial perspective... this one'll be tricky.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
Oh shit, I'd be down--would like to know more about the cast + crew before I get too excited.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This interests me. Not enough to follow extensively but I will keep an eye on it, especially if it gets a creative crew and scripts that reject/subvert Howard's more problematic tendencies.

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Spartacus-era Manu Bennet would have been perfect for Conan.

Or heck they could just go the King Conan route and make him middle-aged anyway.

Oct 27, 2017
Could be great if it has the same low-fantasy feel as the first movie.

I just hope it is better than The Witcher, which did nothing for me.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
The dude they cast better be impossibly jacked.

I want to see the steroid needle sticking right out of him.

just_myles

Oct 25, 2017
Awesome. Barbarian and destroyer were awesome movies.

Also never forget

I watched every episode... hahaha

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
That's putting it mildly...

You could make an argument that the entire theme of the REH Conan stories is how race makes us fundamentally different from one another - layered on top of the Civilisation vs Barbarity duality. I expect the writers and producers to stay far FAR away from those aspects of the stories, so if there were adaptations they'd have to be very loose ones.

holtz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
They have a ton of fantastic material to adapt. Hopefully they will actually get to filming unlike the Amazon attempt.

Log!

Oct 27, 2017
Problematic elements of Howard's work aside, he's one of my favorite authors, so I hope they do a good job on this.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Be interesting to see if they actually adapt the many novels instead of trying to do their own thing like the movies all did. If they do... well, if there were some elements of Tolkein's work that were problematic from a racial perspective... this one'll be tricky.

Im sure the original material is full of pitfalls, but I did not enjoyed the original material because of sexism or racism.
It's up to the writers to capture what we liked about the original material without what we consider now not acceptable.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If I can't get swords and sandals epics anymore, I guess I'll make due with this. Hopefully it turns out well.
Awesome. Barbarian and destroyer were awesome movies.

Also never forget

I watched every episode... hahaha

It's that one guy from Gladiator.

Never knew this existed lol.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
Im sure the original material is full of pitfalls, but I did not enjoyed the original material because of sexism or racism.
It's up to the writers to capture what we liked about the original material without what we consider now not acceptable.

We actually had a discussion of the problematic aspects of the REH stories on ERA last year.
https://www.resetera.com/threads/conan-vale-of-the-lost-women-wow-at-the-racism.142717/

I mean, if Lovecraft material can get adapted (especially when it's done in a way that totally flips the views on race like Lovecraft Country) then I have hope for this - but the creators better be on their game.

Disco

Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Majors, Yahya Abdul-Mateen, Michael B Jordan

Johnathan Majors is great and really ripped but he comes across a bit dorky in everything. It works for his roles so far but he doesnt fit for this at all.

Hes starring in a western soon we'll see if he can change up.

Spartacus-era manu bennett would have been dope for this. Anyways i hope they fully embrace hard r fantasy for this show.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
Can they get Arnold in it somehow? Would love to see him in some capacity.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
You could make an argument that the entire theme of the REH Conan stories is how race makes us fundamentally different from one another - layered on top of the Civilisation vs Barbarity duality. I expect the writers and producers to stay far FAR away from those aspects of the stories, so if there were adaptations they'd have to be very loose ones.

As a long time hardcore Conan fan its not about race but more of a noble savage type story. Conan is often depicted as being a far better person despite his barbarous upbringing and savage life style than the rich kings, merchants and other high minded civilized types he comes across.

Can they get Arnold in it somehow? Would love to see him in some capacity.

Have him as old jaded King Conan weary of his luxurious lifestyle of easy and comfort looking back at his younger adventuring days.

MetalMagus

Avenger
Oct 16, 2018
Maine
As a long time hardcore Conan fan its not about race but more of a noble savage type story. Conan is often depicted as being a far better person despite his barbarous upbringing and savage life style than the rich kings, merchants and other high minded civilized types he comes across.

Ehhhhh.... I agree that the central theme of Conan is the noble barbarian contrasted against the corruption and hypocrisy of so-called civilized world - but Howard puts a LOT of emphasis on stuff like bloodlines, genetic predisposition and physiological / mental differences between races.

Like, part of what makes Conan CONAN is that the Cimmerians are direct descendants of Atlantis. Then you have elements like the fairer skinned high caste of Stygia lording over the darker laborers. How the Kushites and other proto-Africans are portrayed also as "noble savages" but in a way where they're not as developed as Conan's people.

Then there's the (not exclusive to Howard) fantasy trope of how everyone from a country is stereotyped in a certain way - you can easily tell a Hyrkanian from an Aquilonian based on just on what they look like, but also what they value or how they act. Howard was DEEP into this stuff, and while thankfully he wasn't on Lovecraft's level of white supremacy, some of that still bleeds through.

Again, maybe the series just goes the movie / Marvel comic route where its just an adaptation of the central theme of Conan and not the stories. But, it'd be great to get actual adaptations of stories like Red Nails, Tower of the Elephant, and A Witch Shall Be Born.