• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7217

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

AchievementHunter got to go to Toys For Bob and play Spyro Reignited Trilogy and even has an interview with the developers. At around the 25 minute mark, a question about the download came up, and when asked about it, the developers confirmed that you will be able to play all of Spyro 1 and some of Spyro 2 and 3. So that confirms the download is not a full download.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
they had the money to waste on making a physical disc for black ops 4, why couldn't they just make a 2nd installation disc for spyro like RDR2?

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
AbleFairEquestrian-size_restricted.gif

Lnds500

Oct 27, 2017
Not too impressed either way. I am waiting to see how big the game actually is and possibly wait for a reprint if it's below 50GB post patch.

Deleted member 42

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
I still do not understand how people are "abandoning" this game because they need to have a partial download.

Seriously? You were never going to buy it in the first place.

If you actually wanted the game, let alone had a connection to the original games, you'd be getting it.

This is like.... not listening to the Sonic Generations soundtrack because it's on Spotify and not a CD?

Last edited:

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They obviously weren't done with the games and didn't want to delay further just to have everything on physical. I'm sure they've been working and finishing up the games till release.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
I still do not understand how people are "abandoning" this game because they need to have a partial download.

Seriously?

You were never going to buy it in the first place.

i was and had it pre-ordered since the announcement but canned it after the download news came about and i'm not going to bother now, if it was a multiplayer game sure that's acceptable but for a game that's banking on nostalgia, it's a hard pass for me

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017

Seriously?

And you know what people were going to do how? I had this on preorder but canceled it when the rumours about needing to download the 2 games came about. So don't make assumptions because it makes you look silly.

Oct 29, 2017

Seriously?

Not true at all I was 100% planning on purchasing the game day 1. The reason it's a big deal is because I buy physical solely for one reason... to have access to the game in the future without the need to download anything. If for whatever reason the game gets pulled off the PS store or Xbox marketplace I'll always have a copy without any issues.

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
Gonna shelf this one. I'll likely buy it later on, but I guess won't be putting it in my stocking this year. Crazy that's it's big enough to not fit on a single blu-ray disc.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even understand why they bother with partial physical releases. Why not just go digital only? Who are these people buying physical games that aren't turned off by the need to download a huge chunk of the game?

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
And you know what people were going to do how? I had this on preorder but canceled it when the rumours about needing to download the 2 games came about. So don't make assumptions because it makes you look silly.

> "don't make assumptions because it makes you look silly."

> Cancels preorder based on rumors.

Come on man, lol.

Also,

Not true at all I was 100% planning on purchasing the game day 1. The reason it's a big deal is because I buy physical solely for one reason... to have access to the game in the future without the need to download anything. If for whatever reason the game gets pulled off the PS store or Xbox marketplace I'll always have a copy without any issues.

So you aren't going to play a game that you "100% planned" on playing because in 20 years if the online store is shut down, you won't be able to play it?

I do understand situations where internet speeds are slow. - I lived in a town where we had at max ~8mpbs down. Those limits don't stop you from playing, but do delay it. I totally get that, but like.....you still can.

Oct 25, 2017
NC

And this is what is all falls back to. Not everyone has good internet to download this and not everyone has internet at all or can't afford it. Being able to purchase the game and have it all on one disc is probably important for many. Like me.

XDevil666

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My question is what will next gen be like if where at this point now?

At least with the 360/PS3 DVD they had Blu-ray to fall back on, is there anything bigger on a disc format? Or will it be digital/carts?

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
No buy then, too bad.

Actually, it already was on the maybe stack because of too many good games these months, but now it's a definitive no.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017

At least with the 360/PS3 DVD they had Blu-ray to fall back on, is there anything bigger on a disc format? Or will it be digital/carts?
BDXL, what 4K bluray films are using now. There's other, larger formats, but they're not in mass production as far as i'm aware.

Wing Scarab

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
> "don't make assumptions because it makes you look silly."

> Cancels preorder based on rumors.

Come on man, lol.

Also,

I canceled it based on the fact of the boxart.

So you aren't going to play a game that you "100% planned" on playing because in 20 years if the online store is shut down, you won't be able to play it?

Whats wrong with that? I still have Sega Saturn games that I play. I don't see your point.

I do understand situations where internet speeds are slow. - I lived in a town where we had at max ~8mpbs down. Those limits don't stop you from playing, but do delay it. I totally get that, but like.....you still can.

No you don't get anything. Whats the point of releasing a physical copy of a game when you still need to download 2/3 of it to play?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017

Seriously? You were never going to buy it in the first place.

If you actually wanted the game, let alone had a connection to the original games, you'd be getting it.

This is like.... not listening to the Sonic Generations soundtrack because it's on Spotify and not a CD?
To me, the entire point of purchasing this collection is to own a remade version of classic games. If I buy this I want to be able to play it without any issues for a very long time considering I still occasionally get the urge to play the non-remade games.

These Spyro games are almost 2 decades old, and people still talk about them/play them. Of course people will still want to play the remakes 20 years from now

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
While I'm extremely disappointed by this, don't hurt the developers for what Activision has done. The developers have put amazing work into this and their rewards shouldn't be spoiled because of Activision's decisions. Also, from the bit I saw, he says the delay was more to polish up the game and mentions nothing about the download issue, so IMO this is not confirmed at all.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017

Physical editions will become more collectors only, be printed and released after a digital release if having to download day 1 patches/updates becomes a problem for sales. Devs use the time between printing the discs and release to continue working on the games

Polygatari

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
What confounds me is that a large part of the audience that will enjoy this game, overlaps with the audience that is protective of physical media.

So how could they fuck up this kind of thing with the above in mind?

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
What confounds me is that a large part of the audience that will enjoy this game, overlaps with the audience that is protective of physical media.

Seriously. A lot of the people who would buy this are people who fondly remember and possibly still play a trilogy of games that are 2 decades old. And those are the people that would most likely value the existence of physical media

Last edited:

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Activision. Just... Activision.

I'm now holding out hope they pull a Crash Trilogy and reprint the game with all the updates and content on the disc.

LAA

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Still not too impressed. Sounds like it's either.. Activision cheaping on 2 discs or they haven't finished the game and had to print what they had on disc and finish the rest after, which isnt too great either.
Glad to have it sooner, But at what cost.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Will continue not feeling too bad about not picking it up at launch.

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017
Physical editions will become more collectors only, be printed and released after a digital release if having to download day 1 patches/updates becomes a problem for sales. Devs use the time between printing the discs and release to continue working on the games
This is... actually how I would prefer it be done. Kind of adopting how the film industry does theater releases, then home video.