• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Smitch

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 21, 2022
exputer.com

Control Has Sold Over 3 Million Copies; Made €92 Million In Revenue

Control has now sold over 3 million copies worldwide and brought in €92 million of revenue for Digital Bros, as per the financial report.
The recent half-year financial report from Digital Bros, the owner of Control's publisher 505 Games, has revealed some interesting info. According to the documents, the game has now sold over 3 million copies worldwide after releasing in 2019. In addition, the Remedy Entertainment title has brought in €92 million in revenue for Digital Bros.

Considering how the game's budget was less than €30 million, the game is a resounding success. Thanks to the financial report, we also learn about the upcoming games in the Control universe from page 13 of these documents. Control 2, officially confirmed in 2022, is in development and will have a higher budget. Due to an agreement with publisher 505 Games, Remedy will have €50 million to make the sequel.
control-.jpg.webp

J75

Sep 29, 2018
Cool stuff. Def an enjoyable game after they adding the assist mode. Hopefully AW2 has it day 1.

yalk_dx

Nov 3, 2020
remedy greatness strikes again, the finnish demoscene power will never die !!

watch housemarque very closely !!!

Nexus2049

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a top 5 game this Gen so far. They did great pulling me in with the mystery and intrigue.

peixe2

Apr 26, 2021
Very cool game. And they probably also ranked a lot of money from various subscriptions.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Deserved. Everybody who is even remotely on the fence should join those 3 million because the game is spectacular and you won't play anything else like it.

www.resetera.com

RTTP: Control - Not the best game ever made, but possibly the coolest game ever made

"Welcome to the Oldest House" I recently got the itch to play through this game again as I never uninstalled it following my first completion. I did a bona fide 100% run my first time through and I don't think there's a single thing in the game I didn't find or see. I was driven to find it all...

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
Really disliked this game.

I'd still keep an eye on how a sequel looked though.

Quantum Break is a much better game.

May 10, 2018
Hope a sequel will be announced soon. Took a minute after the intro but really enjoyed my time with the game. Didn't care for the Alan Wake DLC but liked the first one.

Definitely is heavy on the SCP theme.

Syraneia

Aug 8, 2022
Netherlands
Remedy deserves all the success. They're such a wonderful studio. <3 There's just something about the way they write and present their games that instantly draws me in.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Hope a sequel will be announced soon. Took a minute after the intro but really enjoyed my time with the game. Didn't care for the Alan Wake DLC but liked the first one.

Definitely is heavy on the SCP theme.
investors.remedygames.com

Remedy Entertainment Plc: Remedy Entertainment signs a co-development and co-publishing agreement with 505 Games for Control 2 - Remedy Investors

Remedy Entertainment Plc | Inside information November 11, 2022 at […]

Fudus

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 18, 2020
I bought it a few months ago because of word of mouth.
Loved the setting and style, rest was ok.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
should have sold 5 times as much for how good it is.

gamers, buy more actually good games. this incredible video game only selling 3million copies given how cheap it is regularly is proof that most of you have no clue what you're doing

Oct 30, 2017
Very good game.

Lots of mystery and lore. Launching objects never really got old.

And visually, at times looks really really good.

Metroidvania

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious to see if they 'detach' Control 2 from Alan Wake 2, as Jesse/The bureau
essentially being a (potentially, at least) product of Alan's reality-altering powers as a way to 'rescue him' really didn't sit well with me when that DLC launched.

Otherwise, occasionally frustrating boss fights at times aside, game was great, though I'm not 100% sure where they would go in a sequel, timeline-wise (other than Wake 2)

Last edited:

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
Good for them but I thought it would've sold more by this point tbh. Easily my favorite game from last gen.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played the Ultimate Edition (next gen release) which came out 2021.
Even still, the current-gen patch that dropped for the game makes Control better than an overwhelming majority of titles that dropped post-PS5 and Series X.
This has been a sad sad generation.

I'm actually surprised? I thought this game would have sold more tbh.
Sold more?
Why?

Is 3 million a little especially for a 505 Games game.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
I was day one on this and loved it, despite the game subjecting my base PS4 to acts of torture

Plays great on next-gen though, no excuses to skip anymore

DarthMasta

Feb 17, 2018
Really disliked this game.

I'd still keep an eye on how a sequel looked though.

Quantum Break is a much better game.

I'd say it's the opposite. Control took Quantum Break and improved on it. And there's something to be said for writing a story that you can just sort of understand because it's not something that's supposed to fit human brains, makes any story much more engaging, and any issue easier to disregard, since it's supposed to be weird.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This was the first game in a very long time that felt like a generational leap to me - the game feels so snappy and has such a unique visual design, especially with all the RT effects, it genuinely felt like a Metroid Prime moment to me. That is until the novelty started wearing off, but overall it's still a very solid game.

I remember playing this at the same time as Jedi Fallen Order and being in disbelief at how much more innovative and enjoyable Control felt in comparison.

Definitely give it a try if you haven't yet.