• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 27, 2017

[/QUOTE]

Lol I Thought I recognized that twitter account- the nelstar15 guy is the screaming guy from the Bethesda e3 presser.

Annoying about the strange embargoes btw. Don't get why marketing/pr ever think it's a good look. Game is out in Australia so they should not be able to embargo anything...

A1an

Oct 26, 2017
UK
People are not focusing ENOUGH on the frame rate.

These base console frames are really bad.

It is hardware limitations though, if there was a way around this with software I would think they would have tried it, not everyone has a high spec PC, there are millions of people with base X1 and PS4, if the frame-rate is poor consistently on base X1 and PS4 would it really be reviewing so high.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Reviews are far better than I expected. Seems its going to review better than Quantum Break.

7-9.5 is pretty much the entire scale though.

This gen that isn't and hasn't been the case. Just look at reviews of tentpole AAA titles recently like Days Gone (71), Anthem (65), Crackdown 3 (60) etc.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
There's no cheaper PC keys out there for this? 😒

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
another thing I love about this game: no map markers and no compass. it highlights a larger area on your map and tells you to explore it. no mini-map either. such a breath of fresh air

Clowns

Oct 25, 2017

Lol I Thought I recognized that twitter account- the nelstar15 guy is the screaming guy from the Bethesda e3 presser.

Annoying about the strange embargoes btw. Don't get why marketing/pr ever think it's a good look. Game is out in Australia so they should not be able to embargo anything...

Maybe they want a steady feed of content dripping out over days instead of a big dump and then it's out of the news cycle?

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
His review system is different and consumer focused, that's both frightening and frustrating to corporations. He doesn't ad to a games review score so they probably think of him last.
this seems probable. He's more critical in his reviews (which is why I love his work) than many other youtubers out there. A critical voice that doesnt contribute to metacritic def sounds like someone a marketing team would like the delay as much as possible

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wouldn't that be better for a publisher, no meta critic score?? I don't think there's a conspiracy against ACG, just maybe a mixup?
His reviews tend to score with a "buy, wait for a sale/deep sale, avoid"

So if they're expecting him to recommend for people to wait for a sale, which in all honesty for many it might be the case, they could try to push his review as far as they can.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, the PC performance doesn't look that great, hopefully there are settings you can turn down that's not very noticeable and make it run well at 4k. Enabling RTX is a big no unless you run it with DLSS, but at least it's implementation of DLSS is far better than many prior games (still noticeable). Since the game doesn't have HDR I guess I'll run it on my ultrawidescreen instead of 4k so it will go above 60 fps... But I won't be playing the game on pc for a year? since it is on stupid EGS.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Since my 970 cant even get 30fps on 1080p, i think i'll hold off for the eventual next gen "remaster", game pass or my next gpu upgrade.

It can't get 30 fps on max settings if you're basing this on Gamegpu's testings.

You can do just fine with a mix of medium and high if you're going for 30.

// Fake edit: ( it actually can given that the averege is 34 and the % low 28)

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As nice as graphics are, what about the game-play, everyone seems to be focusing too much on the frame-rate.

As someone who only played it on PC on a beefy system with a 2080 Ti, I could see the frame rate being a big obstacle if it runs that poorly as some suggest on the base consoles. RTX has a pretty big performance impact, but it felt like a joy to play for me at 40-50 FPS.

With that out of the way, I found the gameplay to be a joy and i didn't feel like it got old, mostly because it does a fairly good job at pacing encounters with the narrative. It's not perfect and I did die a few times due to it being somewhat easy to fall to your death in a tense combat encounter, the biggest annoyance being somewhat poor checkpointing that sends you back to a teleportation point(much like Castlevania).

I think Remedy has created a fun game that executes well on a ton of crazy ideas, it's absolutely beautiful and has tons of crazy visual tricks up its sleeve.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So what's the performance like on Xbox One X?
You can expect 4K/30 with significant dips in heavy scenes. Also, for whatever reason it takes forever for the map texture to load sometimes. We are talking about 10-15 seconds in certain cases. Strange issue considering you'll spend half the game looking at it since the layout can get quite confusing. Load times are long and quite frequent ( duringfast travel, death; walking between areas has a seamless load), especially if you're at a segment where you die a lot. Checkpoints are not forgiving so you'll spend a lot of time running back to the spot that you died in. It does a full reload of the session on every death.

All of these are technical problems with the game that I am sure can be addressed later. I hope that death times are sped up and more frequent checkpointing gets added in. All in all though, the game is solid and I have been enjoying my time with it.

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
His reviews tend to score with a "buy, wait for a sale/deep sale, avoid"

So if they're expecting him to recommend for people to wait for a sale, which in all honesty for many it might be the case, they could try to push his review as far as they can.

I think a publishers tend to push the scored reviews honestly. Something with a numerical rating is probably more stand out than a buy rating imo. Anyway, if he's getting extra embargo for whatever reason, that's BS

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
With that criteria every game on the base Xbox one in the last few years would score badly.

If that criteria was ever put in place, devs would sacrifice resolution to meet that frame rate target.

Oh, I absolutely agree with you. Games SHOULD be rigorously tested on base hardware and "pro" hardware to better serve consumers. Reviews that ignore base hardware and only talk about performance on pro consoles are not doing their jobs right.

How's that workable? 4 review scores, one each for each console model?

For P.C. games, do we expect reviews also for hardware clustered around the minimum specs?

Last edited:

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
Great scores, as expected. I'd be surprised if we don't get a QOL patch soon. Beyond the day 1 one, I mean.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
You can expect 4K/30 with significant dips in heavy scenes. Also, for whatever reason it takes forever for the map texture to load sometimes. We are talking about 10-15 seconds in certain cases. Strange issue considering you'll spend half the game looking at it since the layout can get quite confusing. Load times are long and quite frequent ( duringfast travel, death; walking between areas has a seamless load), especially if you're at a segment where you die a lot. Checkpoints are not forgiving so you'll spend a lot of time running back to the spot that you died in. It does a full reload of the session on every death.

All of these are technical problems with the game that I am sure can be addressed later. I hope that death times are sped up and more frequent checkpointing gets added in. All in all though, the game is solid and I have been enjoying my time with it.
This is sad to read. The value on the Pro is much better (£8.50 more for season pass, exclusive stuff and themes) but if it's chugging in some places on the X then it's likely the better option.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I think a publishers tend to push the scored reviews honestly. Something with a numerical rating is probably more stand out than a buy rating imo. Anyway, if he's getting extra embargo for whatever reason, that's BS
That wouldn't make sense since Eurogamer, Polygon, RockPaperShotgun, Waypoint/Vice, and other channels that don't do scores got the early embargo

BlueStarEXSF

Dec 3, 2018
All of this sounds great but I need to upgrade my PC before I get a chance to play this. 18 fps on console ain't gonna cut it LMAO.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Those averages worry me, playing in a 1070gtx (laptop) I might pick it up for ps4, if I'm gonna get stupid fps AND deal with EGS policies...

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017

That's disappointing. And there's no options to scale back anything to net better performance?

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm pretty good reviews. Was already interested in this one, so I might pick it up down the road.

Olimar

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
This is sad to read. The value on the Pro is much better (£8.50 more for season pass, exclusive stuff and themes) but if it's chugging in some places on the X then it's likely the better option.
I got the XBX version because I figured it would have better performance over the PS4, but it will remain to be seen.

That's disappointing. And there's no options to scale back anything to net better performance?
No options on the One X version to 'optimze framerate,' or 'prefer high resolutions.' It is pick up and go.