endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
I mean this wouldn't have stopped some posters which is evident even in this page.
Nobody put a gun to Remedy's head and forced them to sign this publishing deal. They made a choice, now they have to live with the consequences. If they went into bat for their customers with 505 on this matter, then clearly they did a piss-poor job of it.

You can argue that, having already announced they'll be switching publishers in future, they have no leverage with 505. But 505 have the publishing rights for Control well into the future, including for the next gen version that we know is coming. Remedy have a shit tonne of leverage.

jorgejjvr

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I love how MS now being so pro consumer, makes us see how anti consumer things have been. If this were not the case, I'm sure people would be pissed, but we would be like eh it's due course, "this is what happens next Gen. New box, no bc, rebuy remaster version of games and game of the year versions of the game, it sucks but this is standard and happens with every next Gen ."

Glad it's not anymore

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I love how MS now being so pro consumer, makes us see how anti consumer things have been.
tenor.gif

is this a meme im unaware of?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh....I own this game but its been in my backlog. I had decided to play with a next gen console given that I know it had performance issues. Now hearing this.....slap in the face to people that bought it the first time (and dealt with those performance issues).
You might still get an experience that is better than on current gen consoles through b/c (at least better framerate, if not higher res, maybe faster load times). Presumably next-gen versions would just add stuff like ray-tracing, perhaps more advanced physics & slight touch-ups to some assets (+ higher res), hardly anything that is essential to the experience.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
if there's no meaningful difference the game + all DLC and the ultimate edition, why are they doing this? do they really think people in the first group are going to rebuy the game?

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
All the goodwill they gained with Control erased with one dumbass, greedy move.

You gotta really think how much is that.

I was reading a random post here and dawned on me that the reason why 505 is doing this is because they might believe that the only people who will buy Control for next gen is the people who already bought it! And that's only half a joke.

Rezbit

Oct 26, 2017
Just posting to say this sucks. I figure the more posts online it has maybe more traction it'll get for change. I feel they could at least offer it to people who bought the game and the DLCs as well.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
except it's not a second copy if you're using smart delivery. It's literally just different assets based on which platform you play on.

Having two copies is all Smart Delivery is really doing anyway.

It installs the XB1 version on an XB1.
It installs the Series version on a Series.

Only real nuance is there's a single unified achievements list, and the save files are the same on both versions.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
Having two copies is all Smart Delivery is really doing anyway.

It installs the XB1 version on an XB1.
It installs the Series version on a Series.

Only real nuance is there's a single unified achievements list, and the save files are the same on both versions.
And the sku identifier is the same

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London
What conclusions? Remedy is a public company. Remedy owns the IP. Remedy funded a significant amount of this game. Remedy chose 505 games as their publisher. As a consumer I don't know to what degree Remedy has a say, if any, in some or all of the publishing decisions therefore 505 games and Remedy should both feel the backlash and criticism from customers who bought the game and season pass and are unhappy with the free upgrade excluding them.

Spot on.

StallionDan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But it's not really the same thing. Giving someone a second copy of a $20 game isn't the same as giving them a second copy of a $60 game.
There was a upgrade program last gen switch, select titles only. I think a few EA Sports games also did it.

blog.playstation.com

How to Upgrade Select PS3 Games to Their PS4 Versions

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4 are the supported titles for this program. When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the...

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay? Are they even using smart delivery? Because I haven't heard them mention that once. It could be a separate sku for all we know.
It's definitely a separate SKU, but there are mechanisms in place on all digital storefronts allowing publishers to give owners of certain content free access to different SKUs. There's nothing stopping 505 from giving all base game + season pass owners the Ultimate Edition for free.

Steelyuhas

Oct 27, 2017
Well, I have Control and have played about an hour of it. Been meaning to get back to it, but once I heard they were going to do an RTX update on the new consoles, I thought "oh, perfect I'll wait for that".

So, this is pretty weak

-Peabody-

Oct 29, 2017
There was a upgrade program last gen switch, select titles only. I think a few EA Sports games also did it.

blog.playstation.com

Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag, Call of Duty: Ghosts, Watch_Dogs, and Battlefield 4 are the supported titles for this program. When you buy the Blu-ray Disc or digital version of these select PS3 games, for a limited time, you will receive an entitlement to download a PS4 digital copy of the...

Ah okay. Seems this is the exact same situation as Injustice: Gods Among Us. They only upgraded the Ultimate Edition for PS4 but not the regular edition and dlc.

univbee

Oct 25, 2017
And the sku identifier is the same

That doesn't really mean anything, though. That's basically Blast Processing.

There was a upgrade program last gen switch, select titles only.

blog.playstation.com

It was also free for digital purchases of Destiny 1 and Call of Duty Advanced Warfare in 2014, as well as their DLC/season passes.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
What? I thought MS has control over smart delivery ?
So another overhype feature that got backfired. Geeze, this is a bad month for the XSX isn't?
Yeah I remembered some members on here were dissing Sony because they haven't announced something equivalent to Smart Delivery for the PS5 and at that time they make it seems like is a game changer features for next gen and is mandated by MS on all their next gen titles.
What a shitshow from both Remedy and MS.

tenor.gif

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
Do these devs work for free?
Are they obligated to make a next gen patch?
How long are devs to work for free, to encourage "good will" among their customers?
How long are devs to work for free, to encourage "good will" among persons who claim they would be customers, but won't bother buying a product designed for current gen, because they aren't gonna get it upgraded for free to work better on next gen?

This thread surely is something else.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How long are devs to work for free, to encourage "good will" among their customers?
How long are devs to work for free, to encourage "good will" among persons who claim they would be customers, but won't bother buying a product designed for current gen, because they aren't gonna get it upgraded for free to work better on next gen?

If you release a new SKU that contains the exact same contents as the previous SKU, but only give an upgrade path to owners of the new SKU, you fucked up.

Stop defending shitty business practices

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

You're seriously defending waiting until everyone had bought the season pass to then announce an identical version that has next gen support for free? Are you even understanding the issue here?

JediEagle

Oct 17, 2018
Slovenia

Why then even offer a free upgrade at all? If they came out with the Ultimate edition for PS5/XSX and said: "sorry, no upgrade". I would be fine with it, but right now they are repackaging the game as an Ultimate Edition, which is just the Digital Deluxe Edition or Physical Deluxe + Season Pass and saying THIS version has a free upgrade, but everybody else with the SAME content: sorry, nope.

Either offer a free upgrade or don't. Don't exclude your EXISTING player base. I am still going to recommend this game to friends, which have not bought it, but I am not double dipping and yes, I am a bit salty, that a person who is going to buy this in September, will be able to play the PS5 version for free and I would have to buy it again.

Also, I rarely buy games on day one. I usually wait, because of shit like this, but:
1. It was a great SP game
2. I like the developer

and I wanted to support them, but the only they managed to do now was convince me, that I was right and that I should wait. Now, THQ Nordic did something similar with Darksiders Deathnitive Edition a few years ago. But they got their shit together and found a way to fix the situation. At the end I bought 3 extra copies to give away.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

They've announce new PS4 and Xbox One versions that are identical to versions already available. They are now saying people who have the "new" version on PS4 and Xbox One (which is literally the base game with DLC and nothing else) get a free upgrade to the PS5 and XSX versions.

If they only announced the PS5 and XSX versions there would be no issue.

No one expected the game to have a free upgrade, but when you release something you have already released and only change the title screen and tell everyone who already owns the one with the old title screen they don't matter it's a shitty move.

Kapryov

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
MS always said it was an opt-in feature, didn't they? Not sure why people are blaming them, unless it's just more console war bullshit (or just trolling).

Anyway, we're referring to this as Dumb Delivery, right?

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Can the title be changed? People aren't getting it. Smart Delivery is supported but only if you purchase the ultimate edition, which on PS4 and Xbox One is just the base game plus DLC with nothing else added.

It's like they not only didn't read the OP but stopped reading the title half way.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
Can the title be changed? People aren't getting it. Smart Delivery is supported but only if you purchase the ultimate edition, which on PS4 and Xbox One is just the base game plus DLC with nothing else added.

It's like they not only didn't read the OP but stopped reading the title half way.
Control is not using Smart Delivery.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

They've announce new PS4 and Xbox One versions that are identical to versions already available. They are now saying people who have the "new" version on PS4 and Xbox One (which is literally the base game with DLC and nothing else) get a free upgrade to the PS5 and XSX versions.

If they only announced the PS5 and XSX versions there would be no issue.

No one expected the game to have a free upgrade, but when you release something you have already released and only change the title screen and tell everyone who already owns the one with the old title screen they don't matter it's a shitty move.

Especially considering a game like this NEEDS good word of mouth. How the fuck are you gonna do that when you just do this and say fuck you to your existing customers. Like hey guys you don't matter. New people tho, we got you. Like what? It's asinine.

You mean like you?

The game is not using smart delivery. It is using an "upgrade path" to a separate SKU.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
MS always said it was an opt-in feature, didn't they? Not sure why people are blaming them, unless it's just more console war bullshit (or just trolling).

Its been known.

Other threads on next-gen games not supporting smart delivery:

www.resetera.com

EA is not supporting Xbox's Smart Delivery (Madden 21's free upgrade comes with caveats)

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/7/21250334/xbox-series-x-free-games-smart-delivery-one-upgrade-list-ea

www.resetera.com

GI.biz: NBA 2K21 price is $10 more expensive on Xbox Series X and PS5

Link Also you have to buy NBA 2K21 Mamba forever edition for 99.99$ (40$ more) to get the Base NBA 2K21 for next-gen for free EDIT: UK PRICES £49.99 on the Nintendo Switch £59.99 on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One £64.99 on PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X BBC Source EU Prices 69,99€ on...

I believe GTA V will have a next-gen version as well and not support smart delivery?

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This has probably been answered but the thread is huge:

Is it considered the "ultimate edition" to have the base game + season pass? Or do you have to buy the Ultimate edition specifically?

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017

Is it considered the "ultimate edition" to have the base game + season pass? Or do you have to buy the Ultimate edition specifically?
You have to buy the ultimate edition specifically. It's fucked.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017

Separate. Which is really weird, since typically you're right, that's what ultimate editions are, although typically to be fair purchasing one doesn't give you "ultimate edition" status.

Regardless, this appears to be a completely different SKU. It's really weird.

So only new customers get the free upgrade to next gen. Hence the upset.

eZipsis

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Control is not using Smart Delivery.

Control Ultimate Edition does
Control doesn't

It may not be the exact "Smart Delivery" wording but that's besides the point, Smart Delivery is just a buzz word. Both are the exact same thing as PS4 games but the PS5 version upgrade is exclusive to only one SKU because reasons. (Obviously Xbox One to Xbox Series X too)

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017

No, they don't. They're paid by the publisher of the project based on contractual obligations that have been negotiated between the two our outlined by the publisher's requirements. In this case 505 or whoever has probably specified that they want work done on a next gen version and they only want Ultimate owners to be privvy to it. Remedy's wages are getting paid one way or another if the call is coming from 505. 505 are the ones who decide how to most efficiently reap monetary benefits from corporate decisions, not Remedy, as 505 is the license holder of Control.

Nobody is working for free.

Lyon

Jun 5, 2019
If you release a new SKU that contains the exact same contents as the previous SKU, but only give an upgrade path to owners of the new SKU, you fucked up.

Stop defending shitty business practices
You're seriously defending waiting until everyone had bought the season pass to then announce an identical version that has next gen support for free? Are you even understanding the issue here?

Persons would still be complaining if they made an Ultimate Edition available for next gen only and current gen owners would only get a 1:1 experience via backwords compatibility.
No matter what persons would feel obligated to get a free upgrade patch for next gen.

PS3 to PS4 had a $9.99usd upgrade for games like Black Flag that came out around the PS4 launch window. Control came out a year ago and persons are still looking for hand outs. Some of you bought the game and DLC and got what you paid for; as PS4/One game.
Others haven't paid for anything and are complaining anyway bcause they can't get upgraded for free after they buy older versions of the game for "peanuts" on sale.

If they said $9.99 for a Control PS5 update, people would still be complaing. Why? Because they want things for free. Who care about the work involved.

Put your minds at ease by just thinking of the Ultimate Edition as a next gen Remaster/Definitive/Whatever edition that so many people clearly like to buy anyway.

I bought an album at release and now a year later I have to buy the deluxe album to hear a remix. I should get it for free damn it.

No, they don't. They're paid by the publisher of the project based on contractual obligations that have been negotiated between the two our outlined by the publisher's requirements. In this case 505 or whoever has probably specified that they want work done on a next gen version and they only want Ultimate owners to be privvy to it. Remedy's wages are getting paid one way or another if the call is coming from 505. 505 are the ones who decide how to most efficiently reap monetary benefits from corporate decisions, not Remedy, as 505 is the license holder of Control.

Nobody is working for free.

I love that you replied ^_^
My thing is, clearly they don't work for free. So I don't get why trying to get returns on that spending brings out so much anger. Clearly they're trying to a) Do what any business does, try to make money. b) Incentivise first time buyers who may otherwise just buy a heavily discounted/used old version the game.

The game didn't sell like hot bread. So free isn't a great option in a busines sense. Especially when coding a next gen patch isn't as simple as flipping a switch.

Last edited: