• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

el_dani

Feb 28, 2024
Just bought the Mobapad M6 HDs. People seem to love them.

I love them. On the D-pad I put the dome as the cross was too sensitive for me inputting false triggering in the other axis (when I made my first trials with Celeste, maybe it's only a matter of adaptation).

Also the case fits perfectly.

Only critique that I have: I don't need the removable faceplate. Especially for the long term run I would like the controller being in one fixed piece.

And I would like a bigger, even more comfortable version. I've got like medium male hands (but grew up with the original Xbox controller).

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been modding Dualsense to use as my main multi-plat controller for a few years now. They're my main controllers specifically for two reasons:

1 - there's basically no way to use anything besides licensed PS5 controllers on PS5, so if I'm gonna have an omni-controller, it's got to be a PS5 controller
2 - PS5 controllers have the whole gamut of features anyway, which means I lose out on nothing when using them on PC, Switch, or Xbox.

These are my 3, newest (top) to oldest (bottom):

ctrl1.jpg
ctrl2.jpg

The white one was my first - it's got a Rise4 paddle kit and a cheapo aftermarket battery in it, and nothing else. The middle one was mk. 2, built specifically for Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok. That one has a Rise4 kit, microswitch face buttons, and a nicer aftermarket battery. Plus a few aesthetic additions combined from a handful of different sets sourced from Amazon, Aliexpress, and Etsy.

The top one is my latest, and my favorite. That one was my first foray into soldering hall effect sticks into my controller, so that I wouldn't ever have to replace it (like I did with the other two, which inevitably began to drift, as Dualsense tend to). On top of that, it includes a Rise4 paddle kit, microswitch face buttons, the best aftermarket battery I could find, custom shell and buttons, and a set of replaceable drop-in sticks:

That one took the better part of a whole day to build, since I had to re-open it a few times to tweak things here and there (mostly to sand down internal plastics or to make very tiny cuts to rubber elements), but now that it's done, it's by far my favorite of the bunch, and I'm using it for basically everything now. The only thing left to do is to put a thin layer of clear coat over that PS button decal I've got on it, to make it permanent.

There are controllers that do specific things better, or which fit certain situations better, but there's no controller that beats out a modded Dualsense in terms of overall functionality, IMO. I do want another one someday specifically to have a Dualsense with microswitch triggers (for those very, very rare use cases where I want that extra responsiveness, but for whatever reason don't want to just switch over to KB/M like I do with almost every shooter. AKA, Returnal and Helldivers 2 when playing from my couch or in bed.) It's not really a need, though, and I've found success in just using hair trigger setups via Steam Input or DualsenseX when necessary.

Last edited:

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just one question

Why isn't the Switch procon among the recommended PC controllers? It has been my controller of choice on Steam until i bought the 8bitdo Ultimate and installed the 1.02 Beta1 firmware so i could use Switch mode on 2.4Ghz and could take advantage of that delicious gyro aiming.

The Switch procon is comfy, has gyro and digital triggers have their own set of advantages.
I really wish there were a way to use Joy-Con to emulate a virtual Dualsense, gyro included, so that I could use my Hall Effect Joy-Con to play Helldivers 2 with the inbuilt Gyro implementation (rather than setting up my own gyro > mouse conversion via Steam Input).

What's a good nunchuck-type controller for the left hand while using a mouse with the right? Is that even a thing these days? šŸ˜…
depends on how hardcore you are, lol.

at any rate you're limited to games that natively support simultaneous input unless you want to emulate kb/m inputs, which introduces problems of its own

honestly I'd just recommend a one-handed keyboard or even an Azeron (though I have one and I don't really like it, YMMV). my gold standard used to be the Logitech G13 but those haven't been made in a hot minute (and they're membrane, and the software used to configure them is old and no longer being updated, etc. etc.)

I really need a modern, high quality, mechanical Logitech G13 alternative. I like my keyboard but I also really liked having a full-on programmable suite for games like ArmA.

Last edited:

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
I've been modding Dualsense to use as my main multi-plat controller for a few years now. They're my main controllers specifically for two reasons:

Which Hall Effect modules did you get, and did you follow a specific guide? Haven't had any stick drift yet on my two launch Dualsense controllers but would love to upgrade them if/when they do.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which Hall Effect modules did you get, and did you follow a specific guide? Haven't had any stick drift yet on my two launch Dualsense controllers but would love to upgrade them if/when they do.
Hall effect sticks + control boards @ AliExpress:
I actually got mine from a different listing that I found via Reddit (and it was a bit cheaper that way), but I had to buy the boards and sticks separately that way, and I was rolling the dice - whereas the link I just posted above is jun Zeng's own store - jun Zeng is the manufacturer of the control / calibration boards that are necessary to calibrate the sticks via software, so you know the parts are legit and are the specific ones you want for each platform.

(this is the reddit thread I had originally found the links in - https://www.reddit.com/r/Controller...s_anybody_have_any_experience_with_jun_zengs/ )

I followed a couple different YT instructional videos when doing the actual soldering, including from Jun Zeng's own Youtube channel, and from others I found via searching 'V5 jun
zeng install'.

Jun Zeng's install video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUC0rIJF6Ek
Calibration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-uvWI92620

It was a pain in the ass for me, since my hands shake a little (and the install video omits a detail or two + the calibration vid can be hard to follow, so def check out other vids to use in tandem), but I got it done the first time, and it was my first time soldering anything. I've heard it described as 'definitely not a beginner's job' and I def see why in hindsight, lol. Check out that install video or maybe others on YT, and see if that seems like something you could do.

I would avoid using hall effect sticks that don't use control boards like these ones. Generally speaking, you CAN use them, but you'll have no way to deal with issues like jitter or poor circularity, and calibration will require opening the controller back up every time for manual mechanical calibration (a complete pain in the ass, compared to the input-based method that the control boards enable).

Gambit61

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the links! The installation looks tricky. I think i'll give it a shot if I run into any problems with my current controllers.

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I love them. On the D-pad I put the dome as the cross was too sensitive for me inputting false triggering in the other axis (when I made my first trials with Celeste, maybe it's only a matter of adaptation).

Also the case fits perfectly.

Only critique that I have: I don't need the removable faceplate. Especially for the long term run I would like the controller being in one fixed piece.

And I would like a bigger, even more comfortable version. I've got like medium male hands (but grew up with the original Xbox controller).

Appreciate the write up. I'm excited for them to come in

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like a possibly great new hall effect controller has entered the ring?

The hardware sounds very promising and the price is great.

Going by the thread:

-Uses the best current hall effect sticks
-Replaceable battery
-Can be easily opened
-Customizable

Hope it comes to Canada.

I looked at it on GameStop's website, and it doesn't show the start and select buttons? Is it just a rendering issue for the promo pics?

OP
OP
stopmrdomino

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
Sounds like a possibly great new hall effect controller has entered the ring?

The hardware sounds very promising and the price is great.

Going by the thread:

-Uses the best current hall effect sticks
-Replaceable battery
-Can be easily opened
-Customizable

Hope it comes to Canada.
Pretty cool, I'll make a thread about 'em

They are on the bottom edge:
Hate this though.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any comments on the ergonomics of the 8bitdo Ultimate? I've heard mixed things.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Anyone have any comments on the ergonomics of the 8bitdo Ultimate? I've heard mixed things.
I might be in the minority. But I don't really like it much. The controller itself is very high quality but the angle of the grips is too steep. It's like on the complete opposite end of the spectrum compared to a Xbox controller.

canonj

Oct 27, 2017

I think it's a lot more comfortable than the SN30 Pro+ or Pro 2, but I'm not the biggest fan of the domed shaped buttons on the Ultimate. I prefer flatter buttons that don't dig into your thumb.

Feb 9, 2024

It's... special. An acquired taste for me. The handles are too straight, and the triggers have a very short travel. Kinda feels like a middle ground between Xbox and Switch procon with some 8bitdo flavor.

Also, buttons are a bit too small for my taste. Give me big procon style buttons <3

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
I got my 8bitdo pro 2 a week or so ago and man this thing is great. The software is simple but its great. Tho I mainly come from using a DS4 so the transition is great.

The configurable triggers are awessommmeeeeee.

OP
OP
stopmrdomino

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
I finally got my Apex 4 today and this thing feels *incredible*.

I never knew how much I needed mouseclick facebuttons... And the d-pad is like a weird hybrid of the Xbox Series and NeoGeo circlepad?I've never felt ANYTHING quite like it as a whole before. Sticks feel great - running higher tension on the right stick, lower on the left. Have not bothered with the adaptive triggers yet. Gyro seems to work great.

jA4gqNj.png
2icmGfz.jpeg
NokADTk.png

A+ so far.

Presskohle

Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah, I have the Apex 4 since ~1 month and its my preferred PC Controller by far.

For comparison, I have the Elite 2, DS Edge, Razor whats-its-name and the Thrustmaster ESWAP Pro.

Schlomo

Oct 25, 2017
Just found out today that Steam has an option to calibrate a controller's gyro function. I had issues with a drifting mouse cursor, but it became perfectly stable after I calibrated my Dual Sense. Absolutely brilliant!

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
So glad I stumbled onto this thread! I'm a controller fiend. I love getting and messing with new controllers

After hearing a bunch of buzz on the Flydigi apex 4 I got mine in today and WOW. This thing is blowing me away. Fits my hands perfect, looks great, and the feel of the triggers and sticks + mechanical buttons? I'm in heaven.

OP
OP
stopmrdomino

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023
So glad I stumbled onto this thread! I'm a controller fiend. I love getting and messing with new controllers

After hearing a bunch of buzz on the Flydigi apex 4 I got mine in today and WOW. This thing is blowing me away. Fits my hands perfect, looks great, and the feel of the triggers and sticks + mechanical buttons? I'm in heaven.
It's SO good. I love the ability to use gyro in xinput mode, too.

Oct 28, 2017
Question about the apex 4:

I noticed that my Apex 4 left bumper has an issue with it being "loose" for lack of a better term. When it's pressed in by the left most edge and activated the input, the bumper has some wobble and can be moved towards the trigger and makes a clicking sound and sensation. The right bumper doesn't do this.

I tried another one and the controller had the same issue.

anyone else encountered this?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the Apex 4 is fantastic. Been using it for about a month. It has my favorite D-pad, possibly ever. Using it single handedly made me enjoy SF6 so much more and playing the Tomb Raider Remasters in Classic Mode is a dream. The Face buttons feel great too, but my main take is how snappy they are. It was the first thing I noticed loading up DMC5, which is my new controller Litmus Test. The sticks did take some tweaking to find the right tension setting, but once I did, they're butter.'

Easily my favorite controller since the Elite V2, and it's a clear upgrade in terms of overall accuracy & responsiveness while delivering that premium, high-quality feel. Fingers-crossed it holds up better.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the Vader 3 Pro for not that far off a year now(think I got it last summer?) and I've been pretty impressed with it. My only complaint is the wireless dongle isn't always that great (interference can be a problem in certain scenarios) but other wise for the price it's been fantastic. I bought it after my second Elite 2 controller had the bumper issue again, and I was sick of having to fix it back up. I love the elite 2 otherwise, hence why I got a second, but the build quality truly is inexcusable. I don't think it felt as premium as the Elite 2, but at over half the price I'm not going to complain. It's also nice I can just flip the switch on the back and use it perfectly on my nintendo switch too with no fuss.

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
It's SO good. I love the ability to use gyro in xinput mode, too.

Good gyro implentation is basically a must in my controllers going forward. Love gyro aiming.

I noticed that my Apex 4 left bumper has an issue with it being "loose" for lack of a better term. When it's pressed in by the left most edge and activated the input, the bumper has some wobble and can be moved towards the trigger and makes a clicking sound and sensation. The right bumper doesn't do this.

Can't say mine is like that :(. I'm sorry!

OP
OP
stopmrdomino

stopmrdomino

Jun 25, 2023

Sorry to say but mine is completely fine. Think you got very unlucky :/

Tendo

Oct 26, 2017
Any idea of a legit site selling those evangelion apex 4's? I've found a few selling them but have never heard of them before.

Fusi

Sep 26, 2021
Welp my Steam Controller died and it's quite hard (and pricy) to get hands on another one in Brazil, i guess i'll be looking for a new controller to use on PC, but i'll sure miss my sc.....

Supple

Aug 1, 2022
NYC
I recently picked up the EasySMX X10. It's pretty great. Affordable premium feeling, hall effect sticks, triggers, and tactile buttons and d-pad.