Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Getting back into using my slow cooker! Made myself some lamb stew with vegetables and red wine, plus some gravy to dilute the taste of the red wine as I think I put in too much and I wanted to make the stew a bit thicker.

ohmyveggies.com

Slow Cooker Pinto Bean Enchiladas

These pinto bean and corn stuffed enchiladas can be assembled in minutes and cook up easy and hands free in the slow cooker.

Thinking of trying to make these soon, trying to find all purpose flour is a bastard though.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY
ohmyveggies.com

Slow Cooker Pinto Bean Enchiladas

These pinto bean and corn stuffed enchiladas can be assembled in minutes and cook up easy and hands free in the slow cooker.

Thinking of trying to make these soon, trying to find all purpose flour is a bastard though.

Unless you're specifically doing it because some slow cookers can be programmed to start while you're away at work, I can't really understand the point of this? It's all canned or premade ingredients, so there's no benefit whatsoever from the length of time needed; you could make the exact same thing in a baking dish in the oven in less than half an hour! Also, what do you need the flour for? It's not in the recipe anywhere.

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you're specifically doing it because some slow cookers can be programmed to start while you're away at work, I can't really understand the point of this? It's all canned or premade ingredients, so there's no benefit whatsoever from the length of time needed; you could make the exact same thing in a baking dish in the oven in less than half an hour! Also, what do you need the flour for? It's not in the recipe anywhere.

The flour's for the enchilada sauce, in my area they don't seem to have that kind so little bit annoyed lol. I figured I'd give it a go to see if it tastes better than going for a traditional oven bake. But on thinking about it, it probably makes more sense to go a bit more conventional haha.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
It's there in the list of ingredients for the enchilada sauce. I guess it's just there as a thickening agent.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
The flour's for the enchilada sauce, in my area they don't seem to have that kind so little bit annoyed lol. I figured I'd give it a go to see if it tastes better than going for a traditional oven bake. But on thinking about it, it probably makes more sense to go a bit more conventional haha.
As it's just a thickening agent you could probably use cornflour/starch if you have any of that available?

Temascos

Oct 27, 2017
As it's just a thickening agent you could probably use cornflour/starch if you have any of that available?

Or any type of wheat flour would probably work too, such as strong/bread flour. Just don't use self rising flour!

Other starches can work as well, like potato starch.

Ah! That's handy to know, got some cornflour already! Didn't think about bread flour, that actually gives me an idea to get back into the baking scene since I've moved home.

Annubis

Oct 25, 2017
Grand chefs of Era, I bring forth a great question: can carrots be chopped in a way where they don't fly off sometimes?

Is it a technique thing? Knife not sharp enough? Or simply happens sometimes no matter what.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Grand chefs of Era, I bring forth a great question: can carrots be chopped in a way where they don't fly off sometimes?

Is it a technique thing? Knife not sharp enough? Or simply happens sometimes no matter what.
A combination of both. The less sharp the knife the more you 'tear' the carrot so it goes off when you eventually sever the piece you're cutting. Also, rather than a straight up and down motion try rocking the knife in an almost circular motion.

On top of you could maybe try cutting them into batons as cutting disc shapes means that there's a higher likelihood something's rolling away! It'll probably happen anyway but some of the above may help reduce the amount escaping.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Going to make pulled pork and mac n' cheese on Saturday. I like having a good weekend comfort treat meal to look forward to, it's been a heavy few weeks so it's certainly needed.

I want that gooey ass mac n' cheese, any decent recommended recipes?

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California

Cutting the rounds at an angle so that they are oval shaped in the end keeps them from rolling around. But if you're talking about how slices stack up on the knife against your knuckles and then the next one pushes against the previous one until it pops off. . .I don't yet have a technique to prevent that! I'm sure someone knows. Knives with the scalloped indentations in the side prevent food from sticking to them, so that type of knife may help.

Discord
OP
OP
infinitebento

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
Hey everyone! Bumping this thread to post our discord link again for those who want to join the cooking community in a little more active of a manner :)

620x348-Q90_6e6b460031319b650b7c33629b470e37.jpg

Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.
I will be streaming some food discussion on twitch this weekend if anyone wants to join my first stream! the link can be found in our server announcements 🖤

Embiid

Feb 20, 2021
So what do you guys use Accent (msg) on? I bought some and it's says it for savory foods meaning not sweet. How do I know if it's 'working'? What specific foods will you notice the difference easiest?

Edit:
So for example, I just made scrambled eggs. Could I have put it in there?
How bout pasta sauce?
Or pasta itself while it's boiling (or after it's done)?
Homemade guac?
Tons of stuff

Or is the flavor specific meaning it's something you wouldn't want to eat every day?

Last edited:

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
So what do you guys use Accent (msg) on? I bought some and it's says it for savory foods meaning not sweet. How do I know if it's 'working'? What specific foods will you notice the difference easiest?
I think it basically enhances umami flavours, or what you call savoury. I've not used it but I imagine that it's most beneficial to things like mushrooms, cheese, and meat/fish.

Realistically Asian cuisine would be a good one to try as things like the above alongside soy sauce and seaweed are naturally high in umami so MSG should enhance those flavourings more.

I wouldn't necessarily expect anything mind-blowing though as a lot of people will notice little if any difference. I'd maybe consider trying it as a replacement for salt on food as it'll at least reduce your sodium intake as you may find you may not need it, or at least need less of it.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
Just going to take some time and state the obvious:
It's worth getting fresh ingredients from a trusted source any time you want to cook something nice.
Picked up some ground beef and bacon from my local butcher along with some Brioche buns, onions, tomatoes, and lettuce from my local farmer's market and made the best burgers I've ever had. Only some salt and pepper on the beef, buttered and toasted the buns on the flat top. Definitely more than I'd pay at the supermarket for any of it but damn was that a tasty burger.

Dragoon

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone know where I can buy good quality fiori di sicilia in Canada? Anything good I find has $30-40 S&H which I'm not interested in. Would be willing to drive to Detroit/MI if something is there.

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
Looking for some advice. I'm getting married relatively soon and want to build a registry. I'm looking for advice on cookware, knives, utensils, etc. We already cook a lot and so have a bunch of stuff, but looking to upgrade since this feels like a great opportunity.

In particular, looking for: firstly a nice/premium set of basic cookware (skillets, sauce pots of different sizes), maybe a stovetop wok (using a $40ish one that largely gets the job done so not urgent) maybe a great chef's knife (currently use a couple Victorinox' that I'm fairly happy with but very open to upgrades), also open to general utility stuff like salt/pepper shakers, definitely want new cutting boards, stuff like that.

A couple caveats. We live in a really small apartment now, so storage is an issue. We have an electric range - we plan to move in the next year or two but I don't have any idea what the situation would be like where we move.

I've been eyeing some of the stainless steel lines but not super knowledgeable - mostly cook with mediocre to decent nonstick and cast iron. I'm not that worried about price or being too expensive - if it doesn't get bought no biggie. Availability at Amazon or Crate and Barrel would be great.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Looking for some advice. I'm getting married relatively soon and want to build a registry. I'm looking for advice on cookware, knives, utensils, etc. We already cook a lot and so have a bunch of stuff, but looking to upgrade since this feels like a great opportunity.
My pick, a nice enamelled Dutch oven. You're short on space and a Dutch oven is incredibly versatile. High end ones are really expensive.

Le Creuset are super fancy, or Lodge do some cheaper ones.

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
In particular, looking for: firstly a nice/premium set of basic cookware (skillets, sauce pots of different sizes), maybe a stovetop wok (using a $40ish one that largely gets the job done so not urgent) maybe a great chef's knife (currently use a couple Victorinox' that I'm fairly happy with but very open to upgrades), also open to general utility stuff like salt/pepper shakers, definitely want new cutting boards, stuff like that.
I'd stay away from buying sets and just getting them piecemeal. For stainless steel you are going to want a 12 inch skillet, and a 3 or 4 quart sauce pan. Go for 3 play stainless steel as it is the best. All-clad is tops here for home use but tramontina is a decent cheaper option.

For all the other random cooking gadgets and tools check out oxo, highly regarded by a lot of pro chefs for home use. You will see a lot of oxo stuff when pro chefs do youtube videos from their homes. Also oxo non stick frying pans are great as well.

Round dutch oven 4-5 quart should be good. As Gup said Le Creuset is the standard but lodge is decent if on budget. Straub is also good. For dutch oven for for something with a light colored porcelain interior.

For appliances definitely get a food processor. Cuisnart Pro custom is the standard for home chefs, 11 cup should suffice. Also kitchen aid stand mixers are great though I'd get a food processor before a stand mixer. These things take up room though so maybe get them for you registry but put them in storage somewhere till you move out?

Victornix firbrox are decent knives. They were designed for restaurants and commercial business use so they can take quite the beating. A starter set would be a great. However make sure to buy at least one high quality stainless steel forged chef's knife, preferably Japanese. Shun is a good starting point if you are not sure.

BTW I highly recommend getting a atk/cooksillustrated online sub. They do a massive amounts of reviews on there for all kinds of kitchen gear and they are usually done in a very structured scientific-ish manner. They are usually on the mark most of the time (though i disagree with some of their recommendations).

GiJose

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like sharpening stones... I know that's what's recommended, and I cook A LOT, but I don't plan on doing that anytime soon. I'll use a sharpening rod if I'm trying to cut tomatoes or something

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017
Oh yeah forgot prep bowls. Anchor hocking is the go to Anchor Hocking prep bowl set.

I have one sharpening stone that i use sometimes but maintaining the correct angle is hard for me manually. The chef's choice knife sharpeners are actually really great for a set it and forget it appliance for sharpening knives.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Can anyone recommend a fantastic frying pan? I have spent so much time researching but I can't find a perfect one. I've been using a cast iron skillet (12") for about 4 years now and I just want something more convenient. I used nonstick frying pans before that but they never lasted longer than a year and I got tired of replacing them, hence why I switched to cast iron. But now I have realised I don't use it that much purely because it is so inconvenient and heavy.

I was leaning toward HexClad but apparently the nonstick doesn't really last.... I'm also looking at a carbon steel pan like the Matfer but then I've seen a lot of complaints about warping.

What would you recommend? Thank you.

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Can anyone recommend a fantastic frying pan? I have spent so much time researching but I can't find a perfect one. I've been using a cast iron skillet (12") for about 4 years now and I just want something more convenient. I used nonstick frying pans before that but they never lasted longer than a year and I got tired of replacing them, hence why I switched to cast iron. But now I have realised I don't use it that much purely because it is so inconvenient and heavy.

I was leaning toward HexClad but apparently the nonstick doesn't really last.... I'm also looking at a carbon steel pan like the Matfer but then I've seen a lot of complaints about warping.

What would you recommend? Thank you.

Nothing shocking--All-Clad stainless fry pan. 20+ years and they're still fine.
Yeah, I agree with Briareos. A stainless steel pan is best. All Clad should work well.

I like both cast iron and carbon steel pans (my carbon steel pan almost lives on the stove), but I don't think they're nearly as versatile as the rest of the internet thinks. They're great for frying eggs, steaks, and making pan pizza. Everything else (but also including eggs, steaks, and pizza) is easily done on stainless steel.

I'd say a good enamel steel pan is as good as stainless, with different strengths (slightly more non stick for some things), but it's still not as bullet proof as stainless.

You never have to worry about damaging a stainless pan. You can roast them, use metal utensils, boil tomatoes for hours, etc. When done just boil some water in it or give it a good scouring and it's brand new again.

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Nothing shocking--All-Clad stainless fry pan. 20+ years and they're still fine.

Yeah, I agree with Briareos. A stainless steel pan is best. All Clad should work well.

I like both cast iron and carbon steel pans (my carbon steel pan almost lives on the stove), but I don't think they're nearly as versatile as the rest of the internet thinks. They're great for frying eggs, steaks, and making pan pizza. Everything else (but also including eggs, steaks, and pizza) is easily done on stainless steel.

I'd say a good enamel steel pan is as good as stainless, with different strengths (slightly more non stick for some things), but it's still not as bullet proof as stainless.

You never have to worry about damaging a stainless pan. You can roast them, use metal utensils, boil tomatoes for hours, etc. When done just boil some water in it or give it a good scouring and it's brand new again.

Thank you! Almost went for a smaller cast iron skillet but I think I will go with a stainless steel pan. My only concern is sticking; I mostly fry eggs and fish which is why I gravitated towards nonstick and cast iron skillets. I presume I wouldn't have much of an issue with stainless steel pans?

Easy_G

Dec 11, 2017
California
Thank you! Almost went for a smaller cast iron skillet but I think I will go with a stainless steel pan. My only concern is sticking; I mostly fry eggs and fish which is why I gravitated towards nonstick and cast iron skillets. I presume I wouldn't have much of an issue with stainless steel pans?
Both are possible in stainless steel, but they will stick more than cast iron. I'd actually keep a cast iron handy just for fried eggs. The cooking prices in stainkess is basically the same as in cast iron. With eggs I let the pan and oil get quite hot before adding the eggs, and then you need to let the eggs cook quite a bit before trying to touch them. A metal spatula is needed to help release them. I've actually been cooking eggs in stainless the whole past month and have gotten pretty good at it. They get a beautiful crispy bottom like a diner. I haven't tried fish, as I usually bake my fish. Again though, I think letting them cook enough to get a crust that can be unstuck with a metal spatula may be the strategy.

whatsinaname

Oct 25, 2017

I would say eggs and fish are not the easiest to cook with stainless steel.

I have stainless steel for my majority of cooking. But always have a couple of good non-sticks. Bring those out only for eggs and fish and they last me a good 3-4 years.

Another good option to try is maybe an enameled cast iron pan? More "non stick" than stainless steel (you'll still need oil/fat), much easier maintenance than regular cast iron. The weight is a draw back of course.

image.png

MC-MC

Dec 15, 2017
Both are possible in stainless steel, but they will stick more than cast iron. I'd actually keep a cast iron handy just for fried eggs. The cooking prices in stainkess is basically the same as in cast iron. With eggs I let the pan and oil get quite hot before adding the eggs, and then you need to let the eggs cook quite a bit before trying to touch them. A metal spatula is needed to help release them. I've actually been cooking eggs in stainless the whole past month and have gotten pretty good at it. They get a beautiful crispy bottom like a diner. I haven't tried fish, as I usually bake my fish. Again though, I think letting them cook enough to get a crust that can be unstuck with a metal spatula may be the strategy.

I would say eggs and fish are not the easiest to cook with stainless steel.

I have stainless steel for my majority of cooking. But always have a couple of good non-sticks. Bring those out only for eggs and fish and they last me a good 3-4 years.

Another good option to try is maybe an enameled cast iron pan? More "non stick" than stainless steel (you'll still need oil/fat), much easier maintenance than regular cast iron. The weight is a draw back of course.

image.png

I appreciate the responses. I think I will still get a stainless steel pan but I will also get a smaller pan (either nonstick, cast iron, or enamelled cast iron) for eggs and fish.

Briareos

Oct 28, 2017
Maine
I have cooked all of my eggs in stainless steel for the last 20+ years and while it does require some technique it is not that complicated. Temperature, enough fat, and don't get too fussy with mucking with it until it has set a little, and that's really it (sort of like not fussing with fish while sauteeing, from what I've heard, but I'm a vegetarian).

spyder_ur

Oct 25, 2017
My pick, a nice enamelled Dutch oven. You're short on space and a Dutch oven is incredibly versatile. High end ones are really expensive.

Le Creuset are super fancy, or Lodge do some cheaper ones.

I'd stay away from buying sets and just getting them piecemeal. For stainless steel you are going to want a 12 inch skillet, and a 3 or 4 quart sauce pan. Go for 3 play stainless steel as it is the best. All-clad is tops here for home use but tramontina is a decent cheaper option.

For all the other random cooking gadgets and tools check out oxo, highly regarded by a lot of pro chefs for home use. You will see a lot of oxo stuff when pro chefs do youtube videos from their homes. Also oxo non stick frying pans are great as well.

Late, but thanks for all these recs. Added a bunch of these to the registry. Already got the Le Creuset dutch oven in (the shower is approaching so we're getting some gifts) and I've cooked two things - Pork loin which was great and brisket which was absolutely amazing. Stored the Instant Pot for now to make space.

Wide open to any recipe suggestions for my new toy.

Looking for more advice. Interested in adding a new wok - most common uses for me are stir frying veggies and making fried rice. Looking for a model anywhere in the $60-$120ish range, needs to be solid for electric range.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Yeah I'm never going back to store-bought bread in America since making my own, Cubanos are a GOAT-tier sandwich
Homemade bread is so simple and fun. And honestly don't need really anything special to make it either.
On the other hand, LOVE my Kitchenaid stand mixer. Da tank

But it does depend on bread. Because sourdough sure as shit is gonna all be done by hand.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
My local bookstore is having 20% off cookbooks. Any hot recommendations?

I already have a Ramsay, an Oliver, a Liaw, as well as Bittman's How to Cook Everything, a copy of The Food Lab, and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, which have all done me well so far.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Tried Naan bread for the first time this week. Super easy and incredibly satisfying to make something I would have had to buy/order takeaway for and it tastes almost as good.

I genuinely love that sense of accomplishment from cooking something new successfully. May be the purest joy in this world to me.

Cosmic Bus

Oct 27, 2017
NY

I already have a Ramsay, an Oliver, a Liaw, as well as Bittman's How to Cook Everything, a copy of The Food Lab, and Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat, which have all done me well so far.

Having a copy of the Flavor Bible around can have a big influence on creativity and breaking away from simply following recipes. I've utilized my copy countless times over the last decade or so!

For something more specific: the Ottolenghi books, Joshua McFadden's Six Seasons or Grains for Every Season, Diana Kennedy's Art of Mexican, one of Marcella Hazan's Italian cookbooks…

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017

Depends on the foods you like really. I find you can never go wrong with most River Cottage/Nigel Slater books. If you like bread the The Sourdough School and Bread Matters will give you pretty much everything you need to know about the stuff from recipes to why good bread is important. Anything by Sabrina Ghayour is good for Middle Eastern stuff, I also like the Hummus Bros book.