• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
That's cool but they could have used a real language, it's confusing not to know what they're saying

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
I feel like I never see big French animated movies but see a ton of incredible shorts from there.

Bengraven

Powered by Friendshipā„¢
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
You know, I've adored French animation for decades but goddamn this is the most dope non-Japanese anime I've ever seen.

I feel like I never see big French animated movies but see a ton of incredible shorts from there.

The early 2000s has a brief revival of French animated films that were incredible. See: Triplets of Bellevue and Persepolis.

But they've been making great films for decades. Fantastic Planet.

But you're not wrong, we really are exposed more to the Short, and it could very well be because they produce more shorts than larger films.

Last edited:

Skade

Oct 28, 2017

French animation movies are relatively rare indeed, but they exist and we get at least a new one every two years or so. But it's usually small releases (even in France) and not based on well known licences (outside of Asterix that is), so not that surprising they wouldn't reach far outside of french speaking countries.

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
Eating healthy like French children (their culture is well geared around a good diet) is a recurring catchphrase I've heard. France is also top three countries in Europe when it comes to having a slim/normal population, not that they're without their vices (smokers, the glass or two of wine per meal).

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
France is a bit in a weird spot animation wise. We have a great pedigree and good schools, but our production has to be sold to french speaking countries, so mostly for north african countries (former french colonies) and thus most animated project for tv must respect their sensibilities so we end up with totally bland and inoffensive children program and that doesn't sell dreams for future animators that are looking for a career.

On the other side, we have Illumination Studio or Fortiche (Arcane) that produce bangers, and tons of video games studios that recruit and produce good shit.

TLDR : french animation is great, just not for tv.

Also, if you wonder why the japanese animation style, because France is the second largest market for manga after japan

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
You may not have seen French-produced movies, but you've definitely seen French-animated movies.
Just last year, we had the Mario movie, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle, The Inventor, Miraculous, Mars Express, etc

That's for the more recent stuff.
A few years ago, a French studio animated a movie adaptation of Jiro Taniguchi's Summit of the Gods
The Red Turtle was a co-production between Ghibli and a French team
Persepolis was French-animated
etc, etc

And that's without talking about animated shows like Arcane or Blue Eye Samurai

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
There's a French animated sci-fi movie from last year called Mars Express that GKIDS is putting out in the US soon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8yYUsqbiM

There was also this movie Chicken For Linda that was recently in US theaters, I think it's gone already. Looks super cute.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uNSYE0d978

Mars Express is legit living rent free in my head ever since I saw it here in theater. It's heavily obviously inspired by the classics like Ghost in the Shell and Blade Runner but it has its very own identity, fuck tons of super cool ideas and is a legit great movie. It helps that the characters are well written and dub by A list french actors. I can't recommend it enough.

Its also made by Jeremie Perin, known for the bonker adaptation of Lastman and his infamous music video Fantasy for DyE

View: https://vimeo.com/64244463

OP
OP
Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
Mars Express is legit living rent free in my head ever since I saw it here in theater. It's heavily obviously inspired by the classics like Ghost in the Shell and Blade Runner but it has its very own identity, fuck tons of super cool ideas and is a legit great movie. It helps that the characters are well written and dub by A list french actors. I can't recommend it enough.
There's a French animated sci-fi movie from last year called Mars Express that GKIDS is putting out in the US soon.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZ8yYUsqbiM

Thanks for reminding me of mars express, sadly the movie didn't release in theater where i live, i just checked and the bluray release next month! Can't wait

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Its also made by Jeremie Perin, known for the bonker adaptation of Lastman and his infamous music video Fantasy for DyE

View: https://vimeo.com/64244463

OMG this animation is something that's been living in my head ever since I first saw it all those years ago. Fuck, dang thanks for bringing this up I never explored who made it at the time. Too busy being high and tripping out over the video itself lol.

dosh

Oct 25, 2017
France is a bit in a weird spot animation wise. We have a great pedigree and good schools, but our production has to be sold to french speaking countries, so mostly for north african countries (former french colonies) and thus most animated project for tv must respect their sensibilities so we end up with totally bland and inoffensive children program and that doesn't sell dreams for future animators that are looking for a career.

On the other side, we have Illumination Studio or Fortiche (Arcane) that produce bangers, and tons of video games studios that recruit and produce good shit.

TLDR : french animation is great, just not for tv.

Also, if you wonder why the japanese animation style, because France is the second largest market for manga after japan
On the subject of TV series mostly being sold to French speaking countries, I'll have to disagree. A majority of our medium/large studios work on international shows (that's usually with clients like Netflix, Prime, Disney, Warner, HBO).

Of course we still produce a ton of pre-school content that rarely gets broadcast outside of France or Europe, but French animation is much more present in NA or China than it was 10 years ago.

Yeah that's unfortunate because these past few years have been pretty great for french animated movies. But outside of a few really big productions, most movies are made with pretty small budgets and rarely find international distributors. Even with an academy award nomination, Xilam's "I lost my body" didn't do that well in NA, which is a shame.

Last edited: