Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
images

Just watched this tonight again on Netflix-my all time favorite sports movie.

"Hey, Sanka! Ya dead?"

Here's a video I found with real footage of the 1988 Jamaican Bobsled team, including brutal footage from the crash:

And here's an interview with the real guys today:

MV5BMjMxMTQ3MzMwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNTYxNzYxMTE@._V1_UY1200_CR90,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Facts about the movie:

http://mentalfloss.com/article/69011/16-breezy-facts-about-cool-runnings

3. TUPAC SHAKUR, JEFFREY WRIGHT AND CUBA GOODING JR. ALL AUDITIONED.
Malik Yoba (who played Yul Brenner) was surprised that Wright, an actor he respected, didn't get a role. Tupac also auditioned. Gooding Jr. was lined up at one point, with Jerry Maguire three years away.

7. JOHN CANDY WENT OUT OF HIS WAY TO MAKE THE FILM.
Candy took a pay cut, as he really wanted to play the role of the coach Irv. He told the cast he knew the film was going to be big, and that Disney didn't know what they had. Candy was right (more on that later).

8. CANDY PICKED MUSIC FOR EACH OF HIS FELLOW CAST MEMBERS.
Candy invited his co-stars to dinner and played a song for each member of the bobsled team that he felt best represented their characters. Doug E. Doug just remembered that he picked a Rolling Stones song for Sanka. Cool Runnings was sadly the last film featuring Candy that came out before his passing in 1994. Wagons East was a few months later, and Canadian Bacon came out the following year.

10. SANKA'S LUCKY EGGS WERE RUBBER.
Doug E. Doug still has them.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
I was gonna say I thought this was a 90s movie.....then I realized 93 was 25 years ago -_-

Auros01

Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
One of my favorite sports movies. Just watched it last Thanksgiving. Still holds up!

greenbird

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
This was a classic for me. Seen it so many times growing up, I've probably memorized most of the movie.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
i haven't seen it in like 15 years, so maybe i'm remembering it incorrectly and he wasn'r given redemption after that
He wasn't. In fact it was constantly rubbed in his face the entire movie and used as a cheap out to try and discredit him while he was trying to do right by the Jamaican team. His growth was an important part of the story and was side by side with the Jamaican captain's realization that they don't need to be 1:1 with the Swiss in how to compete.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Damn 25 years. I miss John Candy and his easy humour. A wonderful comedian with great timing.

So agree. I love John Candy and he is a big reason I have such an appreciation for comedic performers. Jeeze louise the man was talented. My cousin worked with him on 'JFK' too and said Mr. Candy was one of the nicest performers he ever worked with so that is always good to here too. I loved his performance in Cool Runnings. There were layers to it that really made the character so much more than the typical "coach" archetype.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty awesome, in the video, learning that the ladies have their debut in the Olympics. That's pretty awesome.

I watch this movie every time they start running it again. I wish it would get a 4k release!! What's even more special is the real life story behind it. Very inspiring.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I remember when this came out and how big it was. This thread makes me feel old.

Also count me as someone who misses John Candy. I saw a couple of his movies when I was younger, but it wasn't until adulthood that I saw Uncle Buck and Planes, Trains and Automobiles, both of which I really like. PT&A is one of my favourite movies now.

SkyMasterson

Oct 28, 2017
So agree. I love John Candy and he is a big reason I have such an appreciation for comedic performers. Jeeze louise the man was talented. My cousin worked with him on 'JFK' too and said Mr. Candy was one of the nicest performers he ever worked with so that is always good to here too. I loved his performance in Cool Runnings. There were layers to it that really made the character so much more than the typical "coach" archetype.
That is really nice to hear and it doesn't surprise me at all.

He just seemed so warm and kind.

It's a damn shame he died so young. He clearly was working his way to more dramatic work and he would have killed it in any role.

Not sure why he did Wagons East though. Looked absolutely awful.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Even though this movie is grossly inaccurate (they didn't even keep the names for the team members), it's still fun.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I need to watch this movie again. I tend to forget it exists, and haven't seen it since I was super young. It never seems to be on TV.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I saw this in cinema when it released.

Can't believe I had barely started school. Can't believe it's been so long

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
One of my favourite comedy movies. I adore John Candy and all the other actors in it. Great feel good film.

F34R

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone else reading the quotes posted in the thread in a Jamaican accent?

Oct 27, 2017
I watched it years ago on a plane (before each seat had its own telly, so there was a couple of tellies in the cabin and your view was down to luck) and I thought it was missing a bit because everyone is laughing at the Jamaican bobsled team, hahahaha, look at them, lololol; and then it appeared that for no reason the next day everyone was rooting for them and I couldn't understand why the change in opinion.

And then I watched it again later on video and realised, nope it was the full film. Maybe I'm misremembering, bit I never quite got that shift.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
saw it in theaters but i remember virtually nothing about it. thought the movie was more or less forgotten but i guess not

i should wiki the true story or look for a doc on youtube or something. was always curious how it really played out

Oct 27, 2017
Well this thread blows my mind Mr. Harris himself whose in the above videos and whose character is based in the movie, I've grown up with his son and his father who ive gotten to know quite well since I was 18. I'm 27 now but we're all doing our own thing I keep in touch with his son alot there a great family that lives 5 minutes from me but I never really processed that his father was the basis for the movie kind of blows me away

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
Damn

I remember watching this when I was younger but could never remember the name.

Didnt even realize Disney made it too.

I need to watch it again asap.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I haven't watched this in years, but I absolutely loved it back in the day. It's definitely time for a rewatch.