• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Egg Carrier from Sonic Adventure. I spent a lot of time just wandering around the adventure area as a kid.

sonic_adventure_conceptart_odk6W.jpg

misho8723

Jan 7, 2018
Slovakia
Naglfar from Witcher 3 - a ship built by demons from the finger and toe nails of the dead. The vessel is said to sail from Mörhogg, the land of Chaos, to the land of the living carrying an undead army which will wage the final battle of good and evil known as Ragh nar Roog.
marek-madej-nail-drakkar-by-marekmadej.jpg

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
G3OCS3Fl.jpg

The Normandy SR-2 in Mass Effect 2 and 3 are really sharp looking. I personally prefer the paint job of the cerberus ship, but both are great.
The engine design and overall shape of the ship are great. It's not the most daring or off-the-wall design, but it sure appeals to me.

Piloting it isn't exactly the most fun thing to do in the games, but you take what you can get.

2Q7emS.jpg

This baby... I miss flying around in the Normandy so badly.

The GOAT-EST.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

JryPNq.gif

SimplisticBrightHoverfly-size_restricted.gif

tumblr_o0c7vho5eW1shzle3o2_500.gif

tumblr_o0c7vho5eW1shzle3o4_500.gif

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Star Citizen is the king of this, so many unique and fully fleshed out designs that truly feel like they came from different manufacturers and different species:
2560px-Constellation-phoenix-flyby-01.jpg

jeremiah-lee-arrow-concept-v3.jpg

2560px-Reclaimer_landing_on_Daymar.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

russell-rector-threequarters-s.jpg

Not to mention that the interiors are just as well designed and are actually in scale with the exteriors, which is actually pretty rare for ship designs in general (looking at you Millennium Falcon)

i90ss2xjzv541.png

constellation_andromeda.jpg

Say what you may about the games controversial business model, but that money is clearly going into producing the most detailed and well thought out spacecraft designs in gaming.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Maybe it's my Compile bias, but I love their ships:
Zanac x Zanac (PS1)
zanac-neo-psx-games-5.jpg

Blazing Lazers/Gunhed (TG-16)
hqdefault.jpg

Aleste Branch (Switch, In-development)
Aleste-Branch_04.png

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Is Star Citizen like Eve Online?
I've never played it but some of the people I play with are eve veterans and bring it up all the time so there are certainly parallels between the two in the whole mmo player driven simulated economy aspects of it. SC is a Flight/FPS sim first and foremost and not a MMO just yet so it's very much unlike it in it's core gameplay.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Always loved the Normandy, as well as the Tiger's Claw. In Star Citizen, I'm a big fan of the Freelancer:

2560px-Freelancer.jpg

Not exactly pretty, but you immediately know it's a hauler, with the ability to defend itself. The interior is great, too! Feels like a space van.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia

degauss

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Destiny has a load of nice ships, but they are pretty much only used as loading screen trinkets.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Some of my favorites were already mentioned, so I'll throw out the Delphinus from Skies of Arcadia. Can't find a good picture of it sadly.

OP
OP
Zen

Zen

"This guy are sick" says The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
Some of my favorites were already mentioned, so I'll throw out the Delphinus from Skies of Arcadia. Can't find a good picture of it sadly.
I think I found it
3443dacc954653bcc495fdbc7c62ab97.png

When I saw Delphinus I thought of the one from Ace Combat as well

857809.png

Grue

Sep 7, 2018
Elite Dangerous has some very interesting, even if relatively simple designs. I am partial to the Python, Anaconda and Imperial Clipper. Most are somewhat grounded designs, which are able to immediately communicate the main roles of a specific ship.
My explorer Anaconda:

1c31ffb9-ef4f-4342-9476-33154a8addd6_Thumbnail.PNG

I also found the Thargoid (alien species) to be extremely well designed. They look mysterious, organic, yet somehow credible.

latest

One of the great things Frontier did in updating Elite, was keep the old wireframe shapes of the ships, and build on them:

Bm5sVqSTd_I40jj2rw45_sz_VAYatZjBVr-vRofa32Q.png

This is a trick learned from Star Wars. The ships designs all the way back to 1977 have a classic, easy-to-distinguish design based on simple geometric shapes.

Hardly a new observation, but exactly as you say in relation to Elite, these shapes help "communicate the main roles of a specific ship". More practically, they were also easy to quickly distinguish during space battles, given the (state of the art, but still limited) SFX possible when the original film was made:

tutorial-preview-large.png

Incidentally, this is why I share the love of the Arwing, I think the same constraints of the time it was designed (i.e. hardware limits) helped make it something of an icon:

I'll always be partial to the Arwing.

EikuREU.jpg

On a final note and to return to Elite: Dangerous; it's such a nice nod to the past that the old wireframe designs are available as bobbleheads to add to your perfectly rendered, HD, VR-if-you-like-now-it's--2020 ship's cockpit:

coriolos-wireframe-png.146877

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
people can say whatever they wan about Andromeda, but the tempest is way better than the normandy

It's cool and all just not practical. The ship has no weapons. Also, its interior design is dumb with so many functional flaws. For instance, the armor locker is separated from the weapons locker. Also, the communications room is completely open with no space for secure, private communication. The Initiative was run by idiots.

deathsaber

Nov 2, 2017
I remember feeling like such a boss, when I finally got to fly the Tie Defender in Tie Fighter (after spending eons in rickety, shieldless Tie Fighters/Interceptors/Bombers). Finally a hyperdrive and shields in a Tie Craft!

latest