JayVegas702

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe we'll start to see games do what home movie releases do now..... release first on digital and then a month later a physical copy gets released.

wafflebrain

Oct 27, 2017
I know its pretty much been done for awhile but I've been wondering about this for HL: Alyx due to the recent coronavirus outbreak in Washington State, I mean Valve is smack dab in one of the largest and most affected counties. Most of the big tech companies in the area have already instituted work from home policies from Microsoft to Amazon...I feel it's only a matter of time until they follow suit but as someone here mentioned it doesn't seem like for gamedev for a large studio that working from home may not be feasible depending on their workstations. Granted Valve has less employees than some and with their deep pockets they may be able to easily accommodate their devs with @ home workstations but I'm not sure if they would do that or just postpone operations outside of Steam maintenance.

GrandeDp

Oct 28, 2017
I know its pretty much been done for awhile but I've been wondering about this for HL: Alyx due to the recent coronavirus outbreak in Washington State, I mean Valve is smack dab in one of the largest and most affected counties. Most of the big tech companies in the area have already instituted work from home policies from Microsoft to Amazon...I feel it's only a matter of time until they follow suit but as someone here mentioned it doesn't seem like for gamedev for a large studio that working from home may not be feasible depending on their workstations. Granted Valve has less employees than some and with their deep pockets they may be able to easily accommodate their devs with @ home workstations but I'm not sure if they would do that or just postpone operations outside of Steam maintenance.

If HL Alyx wasn't done by now, its not the Coronavirus that will cause its delay.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Stuff coming out in the next few weeks- a month should still be gold or about to be gold and should be ok. As others have said some should already be in retailers hands like AC and Doom.

After april-may though, anything is on the table.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Video games may be one of the few industries not affected--as much--due to people self-quarantine and digital distribution. Plus no sports to compete with it for a month at least.
Consumers yes.. but indutries no. Virus also affects people who are working the game, it is kinda like small ripples in the water that create waves that become tsunami

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I don't think this will affect game releases over the next few months. I do however firmly believe that this will affect console hardware production for the Fall.

I think the odds of new consoles slipping to 2021 is 25/75

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah like many said, the games coming out in a month or so won't be affected by it.. Like we know FF7 Remake went gold already so I don't see it being delayed again.

Shryke

Oct 26, 2017
I already paid off my FF7Remake First Class Edition! That better not get delayed! Other games coming out after April and stuff? Yeah I can see that and the new consoles moved to 2021.

DXLelouch24

Oct 28, 2017
Im picking up DOOM Eternal and depending how bad it is here in Denham Springs by then i may just make FF7R a digital preorder

J_ToSaveTheDay

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Yep, I'm positive businesses have already been feeling the impact and are developing their response plans before issuing any public statements. I'm sure everything just got slotted back, or in some very unfortunate cases, completely shut down. :(

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
I don't think so for the ones releasing in the next couple months, as they're mostly ready anyway. The publishers are probably itching to release them to benefit from people having to stay at home.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Because the countries where devs outsource to got hit in January and Febuary. Things where already gonna be delayed based on that alone. U.S. devs starting work from home will only extend delays that were already gonna happen
I don't understand your point? Outsourcing has nothing to do with being "already completely WFH."
Software devs continuing their work from home does not mean things get done without any impact on schedules.

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant it is silly to single out companies who may have been outsourcing, when literally the entire north american industry itself is starting to experience the same level of shut down as the out source studios have been. It isn't just a switch we can flip and maintain 100% efficiency. It's going to impact a ton of schedules. Some games will have some content cut and some will get pushed back, and honestly, probably some will be canceled, but it's all getting impacted

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Absolutely. Most Chinese companies still aren't back to work, and so much of the grunt work gets done there, so I'd expect to see A LOT of delays in the next year.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Yes. Lots. Pretty much anything without a confirmed release date will be delayed to some degree

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Yes and that's fine. Do whatever is necessary for the health and safety of the workers. We all have backlogs we can work through for a while.

Delay next-gen entirely if needed.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
As long as the companies were properly setup for remote work, I don't see many delays happening, at least for the next few months. Stuff later in the fall could be impacted. If they have to, companies can launch games only digitally for now.

Tainted

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
If (when) the next gen consoles get delayed into 2021...this will cause a ripple effect for game releases which were scheduled to release alongside the new hardware. Developers may actually appreciate the extra time to polish their games, probably not a bad thing

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Yes.
The question is, existing, activate Live games - what's going to happen to them?

will content slow down? Services?

will player numbers skyrocket as new games are delayed and more schools are cancelled?

It's the Wild West in the'sphere these days

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
I don't care what games/hardware get delayed as long as Cyberpunk comes out on 17th September and new Nvidia cards are out before then. If not then I'll just play Cyberpunk on my PS4.

We're getting AC, Doom, Persona this month so I reckon they're safe. every other game I can wait for.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
I don't feel that the idea I'm presenting here is too hyperbolic at this point. With the news of films like Mulan, A Quiet Place Part II and New Mutants (lol) being delayed, I'm wondering if we could see upcoming game releases be delayed as well.

The difference between films and games being delayed is clearly the fact that a large number of people will be sitting together in a theater.

But I think if we're all honest with ourselves, the truth is that isn't the only reason movie studios are announcing delays. They're also doing it because releasing now will hurt them financially as less people are going to go to the theater. While it's the right thing to do, Disney is also delaying Mulan because they want to make sure it performs as best as it can.

Less people will be going out to the store to purchase games. Digital is obviously huge but consumers still buy games physically as well.

What are everyone's thoughts on this? Will video games be exempt to the current entertainment industry delays due to the nature of the product or will the fear of a game underperforming push a publisher to make changes?

companies will not be able to crunch in these last few weeks so i'm expecting some-- yes.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Stuff close to release like Animal Crossing is safe.

Stuff that is farther out will likely be delayed

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Yes and next Gen will likely get delayed too. No point in having a new system if the softwares are not there and productions are reduced.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I do think next gen will be delayed to 2021

sjackso3

Oct 30, 2017
Houston
I help to manage disaster response for a State agency. Everything will be affected. It's just a matter of time before some dev gets sick in a studio and spreads it. Depending on the time of transmission and how many get infected, a studio could be down for a couple of weeks to a couple of months; and the worse part is that it could happen repeatedly. This virus is no joke. People need to start understanding that we are now living in a new world for 1 to 2 years.

GMM

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Upcoming games that are releasing in the next few weeks will release for sure, most of them should be ready to ship by now and the digital nature of them might even lead to stronger sales due to people staying in-door.

Releases that are not in a shippable state within the next few weeks are likely to be delayed because of productions slowing down, summer releases like Last of Us 2 and Ghost of Tsushima could slip into fall, and fall releases could slip into next year.

I would expect that everything hardware related will see delays, next-gen consoles could likely be postponed to next year due to manufacturing of critical components scaling back.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
If we finally get that Nintendo Direct in two weeks, I wonder if they'll even bother giving us release dates for some of the games.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Don't discount the supply chain having effects either. Production lines, shipping, stocking, etc may all see delays depending on workforce health, area closures, self-isolation, etc. Delays may only be a couple of weeks in those cases but don't be surprised if major titles slip slightly because the production chain has slowed.

chimpsteaks

▲ Legend ▲
Sep 12, 2019
They're probably going to have to delay the announcement of that rumored Batman Arkham successor. Yup, gonna have to go ahead and push back that announcement

GamerDude

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is full of basically everyone saying 100% yes of course to both games and the consoles. I will counter that with "no, I don't think the consoles will get delayed". I also think most games slated for this year will still release in 2020, but maybe delayed by a couple months.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely. Developers with studios in China or that on a large scale outsource to Chinese studios are already affected and there have already been delays announced. Mihoyo delayed Genshin Impact from a Spring release to an unsepcified end of the year release for example.

inpHilltr8r

Oct 27, 2017
A question for those in the industry:

How feasible is it for game devs to work from home? Do you still have all the tools you need to perform your job, or is productivity severely hampered?
A lot of us are about to find out. Personally I see it as a challenge, and an opportunity to try a new way of working. Being able to blast my own music out at high volume is going to be a complete game changer. I'm rather looking forward to it.

It's everything else that worries me.

Deepwater

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is there any actual game development that happens at the NoA Seattle Office? Isn't it mostly publishing/marketing related stuff going on there?

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Assuming there are many delays ... this might be a good opportunity for people to expand their gaming into genres or titles that they were once on the fence about. I'm personally using this moment to really dig into my backlog, but I'm also going to make sure I purchase some games that I was once on the fence about owning.