• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, Sanji was to be named Naruto due to his swirly eyebrows, but some months before the character was to be introduced a series called Naruto started in shonen jump so Oda renamed him.

A Wild Shark Appears

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 6, 2017
He would if he thought he could get town Zipped in trouble. By revealing what the power does, he takes some heat but gets points for helping with zipped, if zipped gets scumread.

However, I'm also leaning towards turm probably being town and just making a role he wanted to make.
Wouldn't that bring heat on scum turm if town Zipped got lunched?
Ambulance, I was thinking about that. I think that if zipped is mafia, it seems very unlikely that turmoil is mafia too, unless this is some elaborate scheme with the role itself being fake. So the question is, if zipped is town, why would a mafia turmoil reveal the role? The only motivation I think of is that he was afraid that zipped would get to 41, get the most votes, and have Day 1 end with no kill. But that's pretty unlikely, especially since that wouldn't even be a bad scenario for mafia, since town would end the day with less information.

Alternatively, it could be that there are more number restrictions/powers in the role and that some of them are bad for mafia, and that's what turmoil is afraid of. I feel like Zipped might have mentioned that when he responded to Turmoil's claim, though.
I dunno to me those scenarios just seem like too much work or risk for too little gain.

I think that was the intention, but I mean it's right here.
That is true, and because flavor doesn't get swapped we don't know what turm's character is.

Its interesting comparing the role I created with the role I received.
More affirmation that I am a very uncreative man lol

Hawthorn

Jul 16, 2020
D1 ending with a no lynch is the best result for scum. That's why we have a No lynch meta.

Yeah, I basically agree that that would be a good scenario for mafia, as I said a bit later in my post. Just thinking it through.

Have to admit Hawthorn that I'm a bit wary we are both agreeing so much (hello it's nice to meet you o7 love your avatar), but I definitely agree that people should be privately trying to find out who has their role.

Why I'm wary of the mass claim to find out who got what is that it gives scum way more information. As said earlier they probably know about 8 roles at most right now, so we need to be wary about them learning more.

One issue in greed island was that too many people talked about their roles either in the public thread (like Geno who got NK'd night 1) or in the private chats that had scum and while it's good to share info as that's one of towns advantages, we may also hurt towns chances if we reveal too much.

Thanks for your kind words about my avatar! It's Mr. Crow from the Rusty Lake/Cube Escape games.

I agree with everything you've said here too (hopefully we'll disagree soon XD). People should share info about the roles they made if they think it would help town, but they should think it through carefully first. An organized mass claim of created roles is a bad idea, but nobody really seems to be seriously advocating for it at this point.

I expect that will be a tomorrow question.

Who is doing that? Where are the false premises we are reasoning from, though?

Caution is one thing. Don't let it turn into trying to shut down a healthy town.

The false premise I'm referring to is the idea that the roles were not swapped randomly accross all players without regard to alignment. You seemed to be pushing this idea in some of your posts such as this one:

Yeah, either useless or more intra-faction swapping.

Either way, I think we will have some very good clues to sustain us this day and I am excited to watch how everyone enters and I think it will be extra awkward for mafia if we are very are transparently putting strategies and clues out there and working together. So I'll step back for a few and listen but I am interested in the argument Vere is gonna make about me here lol

So to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you that town should try to work together, build circles of trust, share information when safe, and so on. I'm totally on board with that! But I want us to not fall into the trap of thinking that a player who received a town role is automatically town, or vice versa. I view this as being more about accuracy than caution.

Kyanrute

Oct 25, 2017
Tomato
How about the invisible pressure on Turmoil then? Scum Turm creates a not-so-clearly-town role and panics a bit after Zipped essentially calls him out. It could be a thing but I can't see how that is distinguishable from town Turm creating a not-so-clearly-town role and deciding to claim it for the well-being of town after Zipped calls him out. If anything, I'd expect most people to respond with silence when panicking and that wasn't what Turm did.

turmoil7

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My fluff was Basil Hawkins the Fortune Teller and I meant to add tarot cards fluff to every power but it was too convoluted and time consuming in the end.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I agree with everything you've said here too (hopefully we'll disagree soon XD). People should share info about the roles they made if they think it would help town, but they should think it through carefully first. An organized mass claim of created roles is a bad idea, but nobody really seems to be seriously advocating for it at this point.
Agreed (also agree that hopefully we'll disagree soon lol)

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
🤔 So as has been stated serval times now, everyone keeps the flavor, alignment, and role name of the PM they made, but the power is new.

I'm now realizing that flipped PMs will be very informational because they should include the role name of the power that player made. While completely original powers or ones with different names won't be as useful, we can use these role names to figure out who made what power with out having to claim everything lol

So like say if I flip, the player with my role will learn i made it. That doesn't really help them that much because they will already know my alignment, but at the very least they can know their role is legit lol.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I'm now realizing that flipped PMs will be very informational because they should include the role name of the power that player made. While completely original powers or ones with different names won't be as useful, we can use these role names to figure out who made what power with out having to claim everything lol
should also point out that for more straight forward powers, we can learn what power that person made which is definitely super informational. However, the person who got the role should probably keep silent unless the maker was scum. We don't want scum knowing who got the power if they didn't.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
That confused me too, ngl. Unless the PR itself has Sanji's abilities so it's easily recognizable.
I think the only cases where flavor would be swapped are if like you said they are attached to the power like an explanation flavor wise how it works.

It's like that one role in that one game we made together Vere that is coming out :D :D :D *forever shilling my mafia games*

Hawthorn

Jul 16, 2020
🤔 So as has been stated serval times now, everyone keeps the flavor, alignment, and role name of the PM they made, but the power is new.

So like say if I flip, the player with my role will learn i made it. That doesn't really help them that much because they will already know my alignment, but at the very least they can know their role is legit lol.

I'm not sure this would necessarily work, because the connection between the role name and power might not be obvious. Like, suppose I made the role of "vanilla town" (I didn't, but for this hypothetical). I gave it the role name of Bob, a random One Piece character. When I die and flip with the role name Bob, the person who has the power of "vanilla town" won't necessarily make the connection. I guess there might be some role/power combinations where they could make a guess, but it would always be a guess.

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
I'm not sure this would necessarily work, because the connection between the role name and power might not be obvious. Like, suppose I made the role of "vanilla town" (I didn't, but for this hypothetical). I gave it the role name of Bob, a random One Piece character. When I die and flip with the role name Bob, the person who has the power of "vanilla town" won't necessarily make the connection. I guess there might be some role/power combinations where they could make a guess, but it would always be a guess.
True. We'll just have to wait until we have our first Flip to find out and even then, only the one who got the role may have a clue what it means lol.

I'm mostly just basing it off of how my Role PM was given to me.

Did people receive the name of their new power below their flavor and role name?

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
I think the only cases where flavor would be swapped are if like you said they are attached to the power like an explanation flavor wise how it works.

It's like that one role in that one game we made together Vere that is coming out :D :D :D *forever shilling my mafia games*
#Stayshilling

But seriously, turms said his fluff was Basil Hawkins so I have no idea what Zipped meant there.

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DOOOOON~

Announcer: Oh! Seems like someone already died! Even before the fight started! Let's look at his Wanted Poster, shall we?

Welcome to Corrida Colloseum Mafia!

You are Panda-Man!

You are aligned with Straw Hat Grand Fleet (That's Town). Your Fighting Ability is Panda, so you must make a Panda role.

You win the game when all threats to Town have been eliminated!

Announcer: What a great battle! Let the fighting continue!

Hawthorn

Jul 16, 2020
DOOOOON~

Announcer: Oh! Seems like someone already died! Even before the fight started! Let's look at his Wanted Poster, shall we?

Announcer: What a great battle! Let the fighting continue!

I have the horrifying thought that this announcement implies that we're not going to see a role pm when people die, just the power type..

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
(In case it's not clear, I forgot to make that post at the start of the game, no one has actually died... yet)

Sawneeks

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Gonna be out for a bit to play some ps5. will be back later, dont set the house on fire, etc. etc.

Why would Zipped want to go boom today? That play makes no sense for any alignment.
Bit meta but since Zipped is expecting a new baby any day now the best option would be to go boom when he is here instead of when he may have to leave. At least that's how I'd play it if I was a bomb. :x
Ambulance, I was thinking about that. I think that if zipped is mafia, it seems very unlikely that turmoil is mafia too, unless this is some elaborate scheme with the role itself being fake. So the question is, if zipped is town, why would a mafia turmoil reveal the role? The only motivation I think of is that he was afraid that zipped would get to 41, get the most votes, and have Day 1 end with no kill. But that's pretty unlikely, especially since that wouldn't even be a bad scenario for mafia, since town would end the day with less information.

Alternatively, it could be that there are more number restrictions/powers in the role and that some of them are bad for mafia, and that's what turmoil is afraid of. I feel like Zipped might have mentioned that when he responded to Turmoil's claim, though.
Hmm, there's a couple things that bother me about this post and I can't totally put my finger on it. I don't think scum would come around this early and plan out a scenario like this? And you don't even agree with it? So I'm not sure why it was brought up? Kinda feels like noise. :x

Might be why I find this iffy. It feels like a lot of words to say little.
I feel that it'd be odd if both Zipped and Turm were scum. The town cred play is not worth it if scum both created and received the role - they could always mold the details of the role as they saw fit. I guess this could be their pick, but I don't see why pick this over staying silent about the power. Proactive Zipped looks a bit better than reactive Turmoil but since there was no visible pressure on Turm to say anything, I don't think even that can be used against him at this point.
Isn't Turm technically being proactive here by claiming the role and giving everyone a heads up? He could've said nothing.

I agree on this not being a w/w thing but my conclusion on them is the opposite from you lol

Hi who are we voting for
yes

lokiduck

The Fallen
Mar 27, 2019
Washington
It's been so long since I've been in a mafia game, I keep having to remind myself I can't edit my typos ><

Luckily I always remember before I do. :blobghost:

I miss being a game running ;w;

Hawthorn

Jul 16, 2020
Hmm, there's a couple things that bother me about this post and I can't totally put my finger on it. I don't think scum would come around this early and plan out a scenario like this? And you don't even agree with it? So I'm not sure why it was brought up? Kinda feels like noise. :x

I may have been a little too literal in responding to Ambulance's question. My thought process was this: my gut reaction was to say that turmoil was probably town, because it didn't seem that mafia would have a reason to claim the created role like he did. But I wanted to "fact check" my reaction by trying to think of scenarios in which mafia might have done what he did. Then I posted my thoughts so that I could get info from the group on whether the scenarios I thought of were plausible.

Now that zipped has said that actually he thinks it might be a mafia-type role, and turmoil said that he claimed it because zipped called him out with his vote, I'm not sure what to think, there are too many layers. I wouldn't vote for either right now.

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
The false premise I'm referring to is the idea that the roles were not swapped randomly accross all players without regard to alignment. You seemed to be pushing this idea in some of your posts such as this one:

So to be clear, I'm not disagreeing with you that town should try to work together, build circles of trust, share information when safe, and so on. I'm totally on board with that! But I want us to not fall into the trap of thinking that a player who received a town role is automatically town, or vice versa. I view this as being more about accuracy than caution.
I'm going to ask you to go back and re-read what I said to you previously. Don't get hung up on guesses I made. They're guesses. You'll note I'm not pushing those. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong, it's not a big deal, and intra-faction swapping is not even the key part of the strategy I'm proposing. So please: go back and re-read what I'm actually proposing, because I laid it out.
And now things begin to make sense.
idk why you are so aggressively opposed to teamwork but keep being salty, I guess
Hi who are we voting for
Vote Zeke!

Dr. Monkey

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, I'm gonna go play some vidya:

Early townreads, may change:
Zipped, even more now because he was "solving" while roles were being made, apparently. There was one moment when I thought there was something weird up with Zipped but overall he's exuding Big Town Energy
Sawneeks, because she's jumping in and getting involved and not scumtelling
AllThingsPurple, it was one post but big towntell

Less sure:
Small possible for Launch but I'm not sure yet, Launch too slippery
Fran is probably town, but we'll see
Ambulance, and it's a meta read, but I would guess I have the best meta read on him so I feel okay about it so far

Early scumreads:
Zeke, only truffleshuffling so far and he's not wrong about that being his scumtell (not doing it) so it looks like he's pushing to do it while people are talking about real stuff. He's not weighing in, but he's present.

Not killing today, probably:
turmoil - that role is NAI but unless there's a reason I'm not voting to kill turmoil d1 just in general (though I've said this before and then voted him lol so we'll see)
Hawthorn - actual read pending but I would like to give her a chance to actually play if she's town

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Monkey about both Zipped and Neeks. I would put Monkey in my town lean pile as well along with Turms. Turms making a role like that is weird, but was upfront about the info and claimed in a way that told town the stuff we should know while leaving out info that Zipped shouldn't tell us.

Could be Turms just getting in front of it because Zipped would obviously tell town eventually, but I'm pretty sure Turms is just town