arsene_P5

Prophet of Regret
Apr 17, 2020
For context, here are some launch prices:
  • Xbox One launched for 2199 BRL (~965 USD at the time / 433 USD today) (3.24x minimum wage in 2013*)
  • Xbox Series X launched for 4599 BRL (~849 USD at the time / 906 USD today) (4.40x minimum wage in 2020**)
  • PS4 launched for 4000 BRL (~1725 USD at the time / 788 USD today) (5.88x minimum wage in 2013*)
  • PS5 launched for 4699 BRL (~881 USD at the time / 926 USD today) (4.49x minimum wage in 2020**)
* minimum wage in 2013: 678 BRL / ** minimum wage in 2020: 1045 BRL

As you can see, the PS5 official price is actually lower than PS4's if we compare it to the minimum wage. However, it's important to note that PS4 was available unofficially for ~2599 BRL at the time (1211 USD / 3.83x minimum wage) and Sony's ridiculous pricing at the time became a meme.

Our currencly also devalued A LOT. In November 2013, 1 USD = ~2.3 BRL while in November 2020, 1 USD = ~5.3 BRL.

So, no, this isn't purely Sony's fault. However, they still have the highest prices among all manufacturers and, to be honest, the hardware pricing is less of an issue when compared to software prices and lack of PS Now, as you can see by the graphic I shared on the last page:

The cost to maintain a Playstation is MUCH higher than Xbox's.
Nintendo, for context, officially left Brazil in 2015 and only recently returned to the country, but PS5 prices are still higher.
thanks for this informative post. Should be threadmarked imo.

carlosrso

Oct 27, 2017
Ipatinga, Brazil
Hello. Since you are from Brazil, what do you think about a monthly fee for consoles like the Xbox access program. Do you think that would be a strategy, even though we can't blame the console manufacturer for the tax?
We have the resource here of divided payments. Every console have this option of paying 10x without interest.
See the example below. Series S at amazon br. 10x of 279 BRL. Quite affordable for the middle class here.
Amazon BR series S

breakfuss

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I could cut through all the snark and condescension in the thread and understand why this is happening. Can someone please explain or direct me to a post about why this happens and what Sony or any vendor for that matter can do about it? It's not Sony price gouging from what I gather. I'm seeing tariffs being mentioned but then there's clearly something else occurring.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Is there actually any fix for this? Like even them just saying fuck it and taking huge losses to even out the tax, won't it just be a scalping clusterfuck?

Producing the console locally helps.
No, companies are not obligated to do that and shouldnt be slammed if they don't, but you asked for a solution and that one works. It worked for sega and it worked for microsoft during the 360 and start of x1 days where they built a lot of ground they didnt had in the country.

Scalping is not really a smart idea around here since people could usually just go to Paraguay or Lethen and escape it, or just dont bother, since be it with scalpers or official stores it will still be expensive, but on stores at least they can pay it in 12x or 24x or hell even 36x and 48x installments

I wish I could cut through all the snark and condescension in the thread and understand why this is happening. Can someone please explain or direct me to a post about why this happens and what Sony or any vendor for that matter can do about it? It's not Sony price gouging from what I gather. I'm seeing tariffs being mentioned but then there's clearly something else occurring.

For hardware is producing the console on factories inside the country. For software is just implementing regional pricing instead of flat out converting dollars to reais. Both were already done by different companies at different times regardless of how stupid the taxes here are. Subscription services also help out on the software side, just like netflix and spotify made far more accessible to consume video and music than having to buy dvds-blu rays or albums

Galatico91

May 23, 2020
5 months minimum wage? Thats insanity.

Minimum wage in Brazil: R$ 1.100
PS5 in Brazil: R$ 4.699

Almost five minimum wage. Its not only the PS5, the Xbox SX is expensive too (R$ 4.599). If only the hardware was so expensive, we can live with that, the real problem its the price of the games.

One PS5 game on launch here its R$ 350, so almost 32% of the minimum wage. I buy all the games i want on launch with vouchers to get discounts.

Galatico91

May 23, 2020

Brazil import tariffs is absurd, the PS5 and Xbox are not fabricated here, so they are expensive, like the majority of imported products. And the Real (R$) is so devaluated right now compared to dolar, so the products get even more expensive.

Kainé

Oct 26, 2017

The user TameLucas did explain this very clearly:

• Xbox One launched for 2199 BRL (~965 USD at the time / 433 USD today) (3.24x minimum wage in 2013*)
  • Xbox Series X launched for 4599 BRL (~849 USD at the time / 906 USD today) (4.40x minimum wage in 2020**)
  • PS4 launched for 4000 BRL (~1725 USD at the time / 788 USD today) (5.88x minimum wage in 2013*)
  • PS5 launched for 4699 BRL (~881 USD at the time / 926 USD today) (4.49x minimum wage in 2020**)

As you can see, the PS5 official price is actually lower than PS4's if we compare it to the minimum wage. However, it's important to note that PS4 was available unofficially for ~2599 BRL at the time (1211 USD / 3.83x minimum wage) and Sony's ridiculous pricing at the time became a meme.

Our currencly also devalued A LOT. In November 2013, 1 USD = ~2.3 BRL while in November 2020, 1 USD = ~5.3 BRL.

So, no, this isn't purely Sony's fault. However, they still have the highest prices among all manufacturers and, to be honest, the hardware pricing is less of an issue when compared to software prices and lack of PS Now, as you can see by the graphic I shared on the last page:

Nintendo, for context, officially left Brazil in 2015 and only recently returned to the country, but PS5 prices are still higher.

bes.gen

Nov 24, 2017
disheartening that these boxes, ultimately designed to be sold at loss, are becoming luxury items in multiple markets.

pretty much same situation in turkey,
though i applaud microsoft, they at least region-priced gamepass there, should be something like $3.5/ month.
thats insane value and has been a kiss of life for gaming community there.

Last edited:

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
Well... they literally could. They'd probably make an even bigger killing out of the insanely overpriced software with more units around :P

Hardly. Seeing the exchange rate as is for the last year, I would say they are already taking a bigger loss here on hardware than they are elsewhere. PS5 at 399/499 is already sold at lost everywhere and their pricing on hardware, which was what was discussed on those tweets, are leveled with Microsoft's, at least for the moment.

But games? Yeah, that is some crazy unjustifiable shit right there.

Galatico91

May 23, 2020
To complement my others posts about the price of the PS5 here in Brazil, take a look on my receipt of my PS5:

ac6Semttulo.png

The last price is only the tariffs, so R$ 2.826,92 of the PS5 is tariffs cost, 60% of the price of PS5 in Brazil.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
I agree that regional pricing should be done, but doesn't that just attract people to buy things in the market where the games are cheaper?

FullNelson

Jan 28, 2019
That's some bullshit.
The official price of the PS5 here in Chile is 866 USD.
Series X is 700 USD for reference.

PS4 and X1 were sold at the same price, So I don't know what is happening with their pricing here this gen.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Hardware is really expensive, we all agree with that. But it's still a one-time purchase in ~7 years, so a lot of people will save money to buy them in installments even if they can't really afford it.

However, MAINTAINING that console by paying 350BRL on every single game is where, i
n my opinion, is the biggest barrier right now. I know many people who will wait many years to play a game just because they're waiting for used game prices to drop, otherwise, they can't afford it.

Having the option the pay in installments is great, but not particularly helpful when we consider the median income in 2021 is about R$993.00.

Also worthy of note, sharing your account with a friend or family is easy and often means you pay 50% on digital games if both of the parties chip in.

Last edited:

onibirdo

Dec 9, 2020
Now we're on the topic of Brazil there is one thing I've always wondered. On Twitter I always see a lot of Brazilian people asking for games to be translated into Brazilian Portuguese. Is there any particular reason for that? Does the majority of the Brazilian people not really comprehend English fluently?

I'm curious because as a Belgian (Flemish) native it's very rare to have games localized into Dutch (BotW in Dutch was HUGE), but no one really cares since English comprehension is so prevalent.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
Noone should be blamed for selling hardware at cost, that just makes no sense sorry. Brasil has an insane social divide between the rich and the poor, one of the biggest in the world and the main issue here is how low the minimum wage is.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
While I partially agree with you, it's important to highlight that most people in Brazil buy expensive stuff they can't afford, like consoles, in 12 to 24 installments.

Hardware is really expensive, we all agree with that. But it's still a one-time purchase in ~7 years, so a lot of people will save money to buy them in installments even if they can't really afford it.

However, MAINTAINING that console by paying 350BRL on every single game is where, in my opinion, is the biggest barrier right now. I know many people who will wait many years to play a game just because they're waiting for used game prices to drop, otherwise, they can't afford it.

This is why, in my opinion, Xbox Game Pass and PS Now (not available in Brazil) are so important for our market. If you buy a Series S (2799 BRL) + 1 year of Game Pass (30 BRL/mo) or Ultimate (45 BRL/mo), you'll pay "only" ~250 BRL / month over the first year. That is still expensive and won't give access to poorer populations, but it opens the doors to so many people in the middle class.

Reading your posts, it sounds like if Sony wants to help/try harder in Brazil, introducing PS Now yearly cards, (going from your graphic, PS Now is in Brazil now right?) and possibly an all access program like Xbox, would be more beneficial for gamers there.

ManOfWar

Jan 6, 2020
Brazil
To complement my others posts about the price of the PS5 here in Brazil, take a look on my receipt of my PS5:

ac6Semttulo.png

The last price is only the tariffs, so R$ 2.826,92 of the PS5 is tariffs cost, 60% of the price of PS5 in Brazil.

Ok. Now get the R$ 1.842 left after removing the taxes and apply the US$ to R$ from november (R$ 5.40) and you see that Sony is actually selling a PS5 to you for US$ 341.

EDIT: actually, less than that, since in that US$ 341 is the seller margin as well.

Reading your posts, it sounds like if Sony wants to help/try harder in Brazil, introducing PS Now yearly cards, (going from your graphic, PS Now is in Brazil now right?) and possibly an all access program like Xbox, would be more beneficial for gamers there.

There's no PS Now here and I doubt it would make that much sense as a streaming platform. Downloads and local play, yeah, could work.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
A few things I want to clarify:

- No, it's not just taxes. Dollar conversion too, but they absolutely could do regional pricing. And it does make business sense because it benefits Sony to have a bigger customer base. Games and services can recoup losses. They don't reduce prices because they know there are rich people who pay these prices. That's the logic.

- Scalping wouldn't be a problem because it would still be expensive even with regional pricing.

- The argument that gaming is a luxury is silly. I'm sure none of you would say that if these consoles cost in your countries as much as they do here. You all have regional pricing already because they define their prices based on your market conditions, not ours. We just get the consequences of it.

Oct 27, 2017
While I partially agree with you, it's important to highlight that most people in Brazil buy expensive stuff they can't afford, like consoles, in 12 to 24 installments.

However, MAINTAINING that console by paying 350BRL on every single game is where, in my opinion, is the biggest barrier right now. I know many people who will wait many years to play a game just because they're waiting for used game prices to drop, otherwise, they can't afford it.

This is why, in my opinion, Xbox Game Pass and PS Now (not available in Brazil) are so important for our market. If you buy a Series S (2799 BRL) + 1 year of Game Pass (30 BRL/mo) or Ultimate (45 BRL/mo), you'll pay "only" ~250 BRL / month over the first year. That is still expensive and won't give access to poorer populations, but it opens the doors to so many people in the middle class.

Looking at your info graphic that you posted earlier, honestly it makes cloud gaming with Game Pass Ultimate look like the most reasonable option that's currently available.

It's still expensive, equal to like 5% annual earning for a minimum wage worker, but yeah like you said it's in the realm of potentially fitting into the typical family budget. I'm guessing with the chip shortages, that might delay setting up new assembly lines for domestic production. At the very least, the games and other software services should have regionally adjusted pricing though.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
Thread title is quite sensational... for all we know, Cory is well aware of the super high tariffs in Brazil and those are the "bullshit" he is referring to. He doesn't slam Playstation anywhere.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017
I agree that regional pricing should be done, but doesn't that just attract people to buy things in the market where the games are cheaper?

Work on better ways to make sure only people from a region can use regional prices. Don't punish everyone in there because some first worlders want to be cheap. It can be done, it just need people wishing to do it.

Having the option the pay in installments is great, but not particularly helpful when we considered the median income in 2021 is about R$993.00.

Also worthy of note, sharing your account with a friend or family is easy and often means you pay 50% on digital games if both of the parties chip in.

Its not really relevant if its helpful or not, paying in installments is already something most here do whether is sensible to get the product or not. Case in point, iphones. People definitely shouldnt be locking themselves for two, three years paying for one, but they still do.

Sharing is not really widespread here and the few that do mostly share with people from their family who can't chip in with 50% of the cost of games. Sharing with friends isnt that common and knowing the "jeitinho brasileiro" most would be wary of doing it. Too easy for someone to abuse your trust and fuck you over in the end, and with consoles being as expensive as it is you definitely dont want risk them getting banned for anything.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
The game pricing is even worse. At least the console is supposed to last 5-8 years, not 12-30 hours.

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
Fuck Sony. I'll get a PS5 in 3-4 years and buy all exclusives second hand so I can still have some money to feed my cats at the end of the month. A Game Pass Ultimate subscription is 450 reais while a PS5 title is 350 day one and it hardly gets discounts.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

ac6Semttulo.png

Sooo yeah the tarrifs are insane. Why the hell are import costs so damn high.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
Prices are far worse in Uruguay, but the reason is import taxes and a government that doesn't regulate prices, couple that with the scarcity of the products and it allows the sellers to charge whatever they want, hardly something Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo can do something about.

maouvin

Oct 25, 2017
Blumenau - Brazil
- Scalping wouldn't be a problem because it would still be expensive even with regional pricing.

Until people manage to sell it to foreigners at a nice profit :^)

Gotta protect our Zeebos.

As already said, they could avoid some of these taxes with local manufacturing, but... can't compete with China's labor costs.

Starlatine

Oct 28, 2017

Started as an attempt of "incentivizing" people to buy regional products by making everything else out of reach during the military days, just stuck since them for whatever reason. Plus electronic games were tied to gambling products taxes till very recently (if they still arent)

Now we're on the topic of Brazil there is one thing I've always wondered. On Twitter I always see a lot of Brazilian people asking for games to be translated into Brazilian Portuguese. Is there any particular reason for that? Does the majority of the Brazilian people not really comprehend English fluently?

I'm curious because as a Belgian (Flemish) native it's very rare to have games localized into Dutch (BotW in Dutch was HUGE), but no one really cares since English comprehension is so prevalent.

our educational system is really poor, theres an argument to be made that many don't even know portuguese properly, let alone a foreign language
don't let a bunch of more fortunate people on the internet give you an impression brazil is a bilingual place. it isnt.

you're vastly overestimating how easy it is to actually sell stuff to people outside here. it would be still costly and a bother

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
Started as an attempt of "incentivizing" people to buy regional products by making everything else out of reach during the military days, just stuck since them for whatever reason. Plus electronic games were tied to gambling products taxes till very recently (if they still arent)

our educational system is really poor, theres an argument to be made that many don't even know portuguese properly, let alone a foreign language
don't let a bunch of more fortunate people on the internet give you an impression brazil is a bilingual place. it isnt.
Makes sense I'm very well aware of the cost issues because someone I'm dating lives in Brazil and tells me about not just the import fees, but also just how the currency is abroad and that also can make things way more expensive.

Mecha

Shinra Employee
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Honduras
Prices are far worse in Uruguay, but the reason is import taxes and a government that doesn't regulate prices, couple that with the scarcity of the products and it allows the sellers to charge whatever they want, hardly something Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo can do something about.
It's the same situation almost across all of LATAM, here both Series X and PS5 are over 1,200 USD but we get so few units that barely anyone cares about it.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017

Gotta protect our Zeebos.

As already said, they could avoid some of these taxes with local manufacturing, but... can't compete with China's labor costs.
Yeah its sucks sony pulled out of manufacturing there. Would reduce prices throughout Latin America, but it seems the Brazilian govt needs to revamp a lot of shit to make that even remotely conducive.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017

Thanks for posting this and bringing up game prices as well. Forking almost a thousand dollars for a PS5 is just the first step in a big investment that is definitely way too expensive. These companies seem to have no concept of regional pricing, and Microsoft seems to be the only one making an effort.

I can afford this shit, but it's definitely, by a large margin, not representative of most people who love games in Brazil. And Sony is now even pushing for $70, which only makes it worse.

ac6Semttulo.png

Mine says R$2382,39 (50,70%), so I'm guessing it's my state tax making a difference here. According to my receipt, federal tax is 25,70% of the product price while my state tax is 25% of the product price.

Why there are both federal and state taxes over product price beats me. I'm assuming the federal tax is mostly for imports.

Last edited:

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
Having the option the pay in installments is great, but not particularly helpful when we consider the median income in 2021 is about R$993.00.
You are absolutely right. It's still heavily inaccessible and limited to a very small percentage of the population even with the option of paying in installments.

I just wanted to provide additional context about brazilian market / consumers. Paying in installments isn't as popular in many developed countries, but in Brazil it's pretty much the only way most people can afford to buy expensive stuff (computers, phones, tablets, consoles and more), so it's useful to look at those numbers from that perspective that other countries may not be as used to.

If it wasn't for that payment option, I doubt many people outside of the 6% wealthy class would have access to gaming at all. If I'm not mistaken, middle class (667 to 3755 BRL) and lower-income class (<667 BRL) accounts for 47% of the country each, so 94% in total.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Producing the console locally helps.
No, companies are not obligated to do that and shouldnt be slammed if they don't, but you asked for a solution and that one works. It worked for sega and it worked for microsoft during the 360 and start of x1 days where they built a lot of ground they didnt had in the country.

Scalping is not really a smart idea around here since people could usually just go to Paraguay or Lethen and escape it, or just dont bother, since be it with scalpers or official stores it will still be expensive, but on stores at least they can pay it in 12x or 24x or hell even 36x and 48x installments

For hardware is producing the console on factories inside the country. For software is just implementing regional pricing instead of flat out converting dollars to reais. Both were already done by different companies at different times regardless of how stupid the taxes here are. Subscription services also help out on the software side, just like netflix and spotify made far more accessible to consume video and music than having to buy dvds-blu rays or albums
Thanks for the response. I assume they've ran the numbers and went with the option best for them (cheaper/slave labor + facing the tariffs) vs that option which would be best for everyone, which is just depressing really.

mercuralia

Sep 30, 2020
Portugal

It may be a cultural (and educational) question, that is related to how familiar and confortable a country is with English and other foreign languages.

For instance, in Portugal we (typically) consume media in its native language with Portuguese subs, but our neighbours in Spain and our siblings in Brazil dub over it. A funny thing I noticed recently was when watching F1 post-race interviews. The Portuguese presenters waited for the driver to finish answering (in English), and then provided a quick overview of what was said. When I watched the Spanish broadcast, they were translating what was being said live simultaneously.

Deleted member 17184

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They'd have to be able to buy units to do that. Not many could do it.

There are a lot of us who don't. English classes aren't mandatory here. Localization is essential if you truly want to get more customers.

KilleyMC

Oct 27, 2017
Montevideo , Uruguay
It's the same situation almost across all of LATAM, here both Series X and PS5 are over 1,200 USD but we get so few units that barely anyone cares about it.
Yeah, here you have stores charging $ 1550 and $ 1750 for the PS5 SKUs, $ 750 for a Series S and $ 1400 for the Series X. How the hell can you justify the $ 350 difference between a disk edition PS5 and a Series X is beyond me, but as you said, few units so it doesn't matter.

TameLucas

May 30, 2019
Montreal
The latest data (2014) by British Council shows that only 5% of Brazilians aged over 16 have some knowledge of the English language, with only 1% stating that they speak it fluently.

It's surely improving, though, with younger people (18-24) this percentages raises to about 10%.

For context, I'm a 25 years old Brazilian. I started learning English at the age of 5 because of video games. I didn't have access to English courses at school until I was 11, and honestly, it's limited to a VERY BASIC level. I would never be able to say I'm able to speak, read or write in English if it wasn't for my self-learning through videogames - something that most people won't have access to. My parents (~50yrs) didn't have any English lessons at school, while my older brother (30+) only had 2-3 years of English studies.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, Sony has nothing to do with it. Blame it on a country that imposes crazy taxes to imports.

Sony has lots of anticonsumer policies, probably the company that has the most, but this is not one of them, and Barlog is crearly not slamming Sony.

EDIT: man, I'm reading the tweets and OP and that id just silly, is Playstation going to charge you, I don't know, 200€ for something that costs 500€ to manufacture just because you live in a poor country? Videogames and software is different matter, but hardware? Plain stupid.
Maybe with hardware but there's no excuse for their software prices.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
As expected, this thread does not really match the title. It's not surprising, but it is disappointing to keep seeing things like this.

It isn't Xbox or PlayStation's decision to make their console nearly unaffordable for most people. That doesn't make any sense.

Oct 25, 2017
If a console's price would "adjust accordingly per region", lots of people living in rich countries would just import cheaper consoles from those regions...
This is my understanding of why I, an American, have two years of PS+ sitting in my account right now for less than $60 when I bought codes from CDKeys.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Shame about the prices of consoles and services, I can understand hardware price is beyond control of Sony, but when you put it in perspective with the price to mantain a ecosystem paint a lack of interest to improve the situation.

Paying in installments isn't as popular in many developed countries, but in Brazil it's pretty much the only way most people can afford to buy expensive stuff

It's also popular in México too. It's how I always get my consoles.