• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Cory Barlog is doing his rounds with the press weeks before release, here's what he had to say about the length of GoW to Kinda Funny:

"One of the systems designers just did his full playthrough to get 100 percent. So that's literally doing every single thing in the entire game, and he played 43 hours. 43 hours and he knows what to do," Barlog said. "He [worked on] a lot of the exploration content and the engagement outside of the core story. So he had not seen a lot of the core story stuff, that part was new to him, so that took a little bit. But everything else, that's pretty impressive considering he knew what to do."

"It's definitely larger than I intimated in the beginning of the game. I was like, 'Oh, it's not that big, don't worry about it.' We spent that entire time at the beginning, 'Don't worry, don't worry, don't worry!' [...] I think I just deflected for several years and just pretended. And then I would deflect it in the way of saying, 'I'm so worried, I don't think the game's gonna be that long.' And then we did our first sort of full gameplay test and it took five days, and we were like, 'Oh, man. Alright, what have we done?'"

LET'S GO.

3AXe8Ym.gif

Source

EDIT:

OG Source is Kinda Funny:

Last edited:

Courage

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope the side content is meaningful and gives us depth to its world. Norse mythology is ripe for some great world building and environmental storytelling.

Joule

Nov 19, 2017
I coulda sworn I heard the same thing on the greg miller youtube show

Kyoufu

Oct 26, 2017
He was speaking to Greg Miller at Kinda Funny, not GamesRadar.

The video is here:

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I really hate this focus on game length. Whether god of war is 15 hours or 40, it's the quality that's far more important. It just popularizes this false notion that somehow single player games need to be ridiculously long in order to justify it's existence or warrant a purchase.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
20-40 hours is still manageable, perhaps even welcome. Its the 100+ hour games that kill me and devastate my backlog lol. Persona 5 took me months...

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Seems nearly impossible to me. To have built enough of a world, at that visual standard to sustain that amount of time with quality content.

Unpossible.

NexusGamer

Dec 8, 2017
OK so there HAS to be some sort of open world/hub world elements.

Because there's no way for a 40ish hour game that is linear with with just some side-sections

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You'll never see me blindly praising a games length. How do you know there isn't hours of filler and backtracking in there?

I'll praise this when I know the game is well balanced and not padded out with nonsense.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Read the content guys, it's 40 hours to 100% the game, not go through the story.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I really don't understand the "more is better" notion that seems to go hand in hand with the game industry, but anyway, I'm sure it's going to be a good ride.

Filament Star

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would prefer shorter, but this is dev math keep in mind, so the game is probably half that long for critics, and then half that again for regular folks, so around 10 hours sounds just right.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
You'll never see me blindly praising a games length. How do you know there isn't hours of filler and backtracking in there?

I'll praise this when I know the game is well balanced and not padded out with nonsense.

Well this is 100% so I wouldn't be surprised if that means looking for collectibles as well. I doubt that 100% is all story-related content.

Which is good. You'll probably have a decent length (12-15 hours) video game and over 25 hours of extra stuff to do for people who want more for their money and love the game.

OP
OP
spad3

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Does a 10 hour action adventure game even exist?

God of War 3

looks like i only have time for one experience before Detroit Become Human and Jurassic World Evolution.... and that is GOW

Same boat. Except I also have Ni No Kuni II and Far Cry 5 to finish :(

Translates into at least 60 hours for me and my slow ass

Probably more for us regular folks. That was 40 hours for someone who KNOWS everything about it.

The_Land

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cleveland Ohio
So like 95% of games I play. I'll explore everything, put about 80 hours in, and be halfway through the game and never finish and never touch it again. Happens every single time. Then again 60 bucks for 80 hours of entertainment is a steal

THE GUY

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I really hate this focus on game length. Whether god of war is 15 hours or 40, it's the quality that's far more important. It just popularizes this false notion that somehow single player games need to be ridiculously long in order to justify it's existence or warrant a purchase.
My thoughts exactly.

I'm hoping for a good 15 hour main story. That would be plenty if done well. Usually games start padding with a lot of crap to increase the playtime.

At least it seems like they're not really referring to main campaign length here so there should still be a tight experience.