UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Hey ERA! I've been working on a project lately that incorporates some strong elements of cosmic horror, especially inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and I got to thinking about how relatively little cosmic horror I've seen in movies. I thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone's favorites were and maybe find a few new recommendations to add to my watch list.

First thing's first: What is Cosmic Horror?

Cosmic Horror is horror that derives its power to frighten from the unknown. It is a quintessentially post-enlightenment type of horror based around the concept that the universe is vast and unknowable and the more we attempt to discover about it through scientific inquiry, the more alien and terrible it becomes. Because of this, Cosmic Horror often has strong elements of science fiction though those elements are certainly not a necessity. Cosmic Horror often deals with themes of madness or altered perception, as the protagonists of the story encounter things which logic cannot explain and which test their understanding of the universe and their place in it.

I think there is an important key to deciding if something is Cosmic Horror:

A vast and uncaring universe. Cosmic Horror depicts a universe where humans are unimportant and all of our attempts to understand or control that universe are futile. Whatever the threat in a Cosmic Horror story is, it is usually unconcerned with humans, and may regard us as insects or take no notice of us at all.

The creation of the Cosmic Horror genre is generally credited to the works of H.P. Lovecraft and a few of his direct literary descendants writing pulp horror. A lot of Cosmic Horror shares the popular trappings of his work with cults, alien gods, and secrets that will drive you mad, but a work does not need to be directly Lovecraftian in order to be good Cosmic Horror.

Here are the Cosmic Horror movies that I have seen and enjoyed. Do you like Cosmic Horror, and is so, what are your favorite movie examples?

1. Alien

71yjMd0wUPL._RI_SX200_.jpg

The first Alien movie is pretty much perfect cosmic horror (as well as being a nearly perfectly constructed thriller).

A crew of people land on a hostile planet and discover a derelict spaceship of unknown origin. Inside they discover a massive corpse and hundreds of alien eggs. Soon enough they are being hunted through their own ship by a nightmarish creature which picks them off one by one...

I love how alien everything is in Alien, from the almost organic designs of the derelict ship to the design of the Space Jockey itself. It all hints at a huge universe that does not care about humanity at all.

Yes, all of this goes out the window with the most recent movies. Covenant itself fully transitions from Cosmic Horror to Gothic Horror of all things. That being said, if you take the original Alien as its own film, I think it still deserves to be lauded as extremely effective Cosmic Horror.

2. Event Horizon

This is another space themed movie and it's likely to be a more controversial pick. An experimental FTL ship vanishes during it's maiden voyage and is discovered years later floating in the far reaches of the solar system. A salvage crew goes to recover the ship and discovers the terrible fate of the original crew.

Event Horizon makes my list because it's central plot is built on the idea of circumventing natural law leading to horror. The Event Horizon traveled through another dimension and when it came back changed. Bonus points for also having a lot of the horror be tied to characters struggling to understand if what is happening to them is real or not. I enjoy Event Horizon despite its cheesier parts, but I know that it's kind of a love it or hate it movie.

3. In the Mouth of Madness

Oh hi again, Sam Neill! In the Mouth of Madness is the second in John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy and sits between The Thing and The Prince of Darkness. In the Mouth of Madness might just be the most "Lovecraftian" movie on this list. It's clear that Carpenter wanted to pay specific homage to Lovecraft's work so you have a small New England town with terrible secrets, tentacled beasts, books which drive people mad, people who can't tell if books they are reading are real... It's all pretty great and John Carpenter swings for the fences with bringing out as much weird from the concept as he can manage while Sam Neill devours scenery in order to sell the increasing instability of his character.

If you are interested, try to watch this without learning too much about it, even some of the posters have annoying spoilers.

4. The Thing

v1.bTsxMTE2ODg5NTtqOzE3NTg5OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

The first of the aforementioned Apocalypse Trilogy and one of the greatest practical effect horror films ever made. An antarctic research station is infiltrated by an alien creature that was dug up from beneath the ice. The crew realizes that they cannot trust anyone or anything as the creature can assume the form of any one of them.

I think The Thing is a good example of Cosmic Horror because, again, the creature has no interest in humans for our own sake. It's simply trying to survive and escape, and the humans it encounters are simply threats or disguises to be avoided or used and consumed. It also hearkened back to the trope of an expedition finding something they shouldn't have disturbed which Lovecraft used so much.

5. The Void

The_Void_%282016_film%29.png

The Void is a recent indie horror movie currently available on Netflix and, much like In the Mouth of Madness, it is pretty much a direct Lovecraftian story. A small group of people are trapped in a rural hospital as strange cultists close in and they learn that not everyone inside is who they seem. The movie is pulpy and fun and moves at a decent pace. It does a good job balancing the tense claustrophobia of its premise with some more large scale stakes and visuals.

A good use of Lovecraftian tropes that keeps escalating until the end.

So what say you ERA? Do you like Cosmic Horror? Do you think these movies are good examples of it? What are your favorite Cosmic Horror movies?

EDIT: ERA responds! Here is the list of movies (and a few books) that received several recommendations through the course of the thread:

Thanks to astro for creating the original version of this list
Picnic at Hanging Rock (1975)

The Adversary Cycle (novels) (1981)
Possession (1981)
The Beyond (1981)

From Beyond (1986)
It (novel) (1986)

Prince of Darkness (1987)

In the Mouth of Madness (1994)

Dagon (2001)

the Call of Cthullu (2005)
Noroi: The Curse (2005)

Sunshine (2007)

AM1200 (2008)
Midnight Meat Train (2008)

Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010)

The Whisperer in Darkness (2011)
Kill List (2011)

John Dies at the End (2012)
Cabin in the Woods (2012)
Resolution (2012)

Coherence (2014)
The Incident (2014)
Spring (2014)
Southern Reach Trilogy (novels) 2014

The Untamed (2016)
The Void (2016)

Residue (2017)
The Endless (2017)

Annihilation (2018)

Last edited:

Dennis8K

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not a movie but True Detective Season 1 is the best cosmic horror ever on TV.

I have eyes that can see so Cthulhu could not hide from me.

Deleted member 2229

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if I'd call Alien cosmic horror, at least if we're going by the Eldritch sense

I think one important aspect you missed, perhaps even the most important aspect in cosmic horror is that it's pretty much always about digging far too deep and unearthing something that is literally beyond comprehension to the point where it warps your mind. Which is really one of the few aspects that permeates throughout all of Lovecrafts work. Which is why I dont think films like Alien or The Thing fit the bill. I haven't seen the others so I can't comment, but The Mist would fit right in.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I love Cosmic Horror and Weird Fiction. Seems like you got the heavy hitters down pat! I've never really thought of Alien as a Cosmic Horror story, but I can see that.

OP
OP
UCBooties

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Alien isn't Cosmic Horror.

I dunno if I'd call Alien cosmic horror, at least if we're going by the Eldritch sense

I thought I'd get more push back on Event Horizon than Alien but I do see why it's a contentious pick. I feel that it works as cosmic horror because, as noted in the OP, it puts the protagonists into a larger, hostile, and ultimately uncaring universe. It also punishes the protagonists for their curiosity, and any attempt by humans or human agents to understand or control the alien only leads to their deaths.

I think the best argument against Alien being Cosmic Horror would be that nothing about the alien fundamentally challenges the crew's understanding of the universe. It is, ultimately, a very nasty creature but it still obeys the laws of physics and no one really loses their mind over it.

Oct 27, 2017

Genuinely curious, why does everyone say this? I've seen the show twice, and I can see how it might have some allusions to things like that, there's nothing that falls into that category enough to label it as such in my opinion.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Lovecraftian is more eldritch

Cosmic horror is more broader bleak unknown. I think Alien would certainly fall under the latter, given how alien and otherworldly and mysterious the ship and xenomorph is treated in the original. The weirdly organic architecture of the vessel, how the crew knows nothing about this thing that constantly subverts them with a kind of animal intelligence, and so on. The everyday down-to-earth nature of the crew and their ship contrasted with utterly otherworldliness of the Alien

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Alien isn't cosmic horror, because there is nothing supernatural about it. This is just a ship and a creature, injecting anything more is your head canon.

The only person to go insane is the robot, that barely even counts.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Alien isn't cosmic horror, because there is nothing supernatural about it. This is just a ship and a creature, injecting anything more is your head canon.

The only person to go insane is the robot, that barely even counts.
Cosmic horror doesn't have to be supernatural. It's often science fiction or just incomprehensible break in reality. More unexplainable incomprehensible existential terror. rather than specifically supernatural eldritch horror. House of Leaves is cosmic horror. Twilight Zone's And When The Sky Was Opened is cosmic horror. It has cosmic horror elements.

Last edited:

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
Alien isn't really a cosmic horror imo. Humans knew what those things were and nobody was driven mad by them. Further Humans like the Weylan corp wants to experiment with them. Its more Sci Fi horror.

When I think of Cosmic horror I always refer back to Bloodborne the game as a bar because its a prime/best example of cosmic horror.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Alien isn't really a cosmic horror imo. Humans knew what those things were and nobody was driven mad by them. Further Humans like the Weylan corp wants to experiment with them. Its more Sci Fi horror.

When I think of Cosmic horror I always refer back to Bloodborne the game as a bar because its a prime/best example of cosmic horror.
Bloodborne is more Lovecraftian than cosmic horror

Lovecraftian is more specifically eldritch, ancient ones, Victorian/Gothic, etc, thus the "inspired by Lovecraft"

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Event horizon has been a favorite of mine ever since the first time I watched it. Have shown it to a bunch of my friends too when asked for a horror movie recommendation.
Saw The Void a couple months ago and was really happy with it. Don't see too much solid cosmic horror in media. I was over the moon when I heard Call of Cthulu was getting a remake.

Any recommendations of good cosmic horror movies I may have missed would be greatly appreciated

Didn't know True Detective was cosmic horror, have never heard much about it beyond people saying they like it. Will be giving it a look though thanks

Kazaam

Oct 26, 2017
London
Recent film, I think you should give Amat Escalante's "The Untamed" a chance. It definitely evokes (one of the greatest of the genre) Zulawski's Possession.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Event horizon has been a favorite of mine ever since the first time I watched it. Have shown it to a bunch of my friends too when asked for a horror movie recommendation.
Saw The Void a couple months ago and was really happy with it. Don't see too much solid cosmic horror in media. I was over the moon when I heard Call of Cthulu was getting a remake.

Any recommendations of good cosmic horror movies I may have missed would be greatly appreciated
Have you seen Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness? It's the best Lovecraftian homage I've ever seen.

OP
OP
UCBooties

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Genuinely curious, why does everyone say this? I've seen the show twice, and I can see how it might have some allusions to things like that, there's nothing that falls into that category enough to label it as such in my opinion.

It's open to interpretation of the viewer. You can either view all the supernatural elements of signs and birds and the thing Rust saw under the fort as just the characters getting sucked into the crazy of the murderer and his cultish beliefs, or you can view it as actually happening in story and they are, if not confronting, then at least brushing up against the mythos. Regardless of which interpretation you take, I think it is fair to say that Rust Cohle behaves as though he is in a Cosmic Horror and that his nihilism is a rational response to Cosmic Horror.

Dongs Macabre

Oct 26, 2017

While I do love me some King in Yellow references, I feel that True Detective ultimately fails as a cosmic horror story with that ending where the guy finds religion or whatever.

Rahfiki

Oct 28, 2017
Have you seen Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness? It's the best Lovecraftian homage I've ever seen.

Yeah I saw that in the OP and I'm downloading it right now. Will probably watch it tomorrow night with my gf thanks :)

It's not, really. But it teases with the idea and has some of the same world-view you'd find in cosmic horror works.

Good enough for me. I'll give it a look but thanks for the heads up. Really helps to know the general context of the direction it goes in.

Recent film, I think you should give Amat Escalante's "The Untamed" a chance. It definitely evokes (one of the greatest of the genre) Zulawski's Possession.

I've seen that actually. Was crazy weird and definitely a good watch

Kurdel

Nov 7, 2017
Cosmic horror doesn't have to be supernatural. It's often science fiction or just incomprehensible break in reality. More unexplainable incomprehensible existential terror. rather than specifically supernatural eldritch horror. House of Leaves is cosmic horror. Twilight Zone's And When The Sky Was Opened is cosmic horror. It has cosmic horror elements.

Be it real or just percieved, you need a supernatural element to your plot.

Alien is all explainable by science, and there ihs no cosmic dread, just a monster wanting to eat you.

boxfactory

Oct 27, 2017
OP when did you start consuming Cosmic Horror media? Because you don't seem to know what it is when you list items like Alien.

Oct 27, 2017
Bandung Indonesia
Alien isn't a cosmic horror movie. Even if you discount the new ones and see it on its own, it's still not a cosmic horror movie.

Heck Event Horizon is a much more appropriate example of cosmic horror, since the "dimension" the ship came from is pretty much an unexplainable eldritch location.

OP
OP
UCBooties

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
OP when did you start consuming Cosmic Horror media? Because you don't seem to know what it is when you list items like Alien.
LOL, I'm not interested in establishing my "cred" or whatever. I have given my reasons for listing Alien and acknowledged why it's a controversial pick. The themes of Cosmic Horror are broader than just explicitly eldritch/mythos horror.

What are your favorite examples of Cosmic Horror that you would recommend?

Timeaisis

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I think Alien fits, thematically. Fear of the unknown, and all that.

Y'all are being to stringent with your definition. It's more of a "if you like X, you'll like Y." And Alien is totally a Y to a cosmic horror X.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Be it real or just percieved, you need a supernatural element to your plot.

Alien is all explainable by science, and there ihs no cosmic dread, just a monster wanting to eat you.
You don't consider The Thing cosmic horror then?

And no, it's called "cosmic" horror for a reason. In that it could be science, it could be supernatural, but whatever it is, it's beyond our perception and understanding. Its roots are in science, or rather the existential dread of our insignificance and the thin veil of what we perceive as reason and understanding and science

To quote Wiki, "The philosophy of cosmicism states that there is no recognizable divine presence, such as a god, in the universe, and that humans are particularly insignificant in the larger scheme of intergalactic existence, and perhaps are just a small species projecting their own mental idolatries onto the vast cosmos"

Lovecraftian horror is specifically supernatural, but the broader realm of cosmic horror doesn't have to be. It just has to be unexplained and unknown. For example, Twilight Zone's And When The Sky Was Opened, a story where astronauts returning from a expedition gone wrong inexplicably find themselves starting to be erased from reality and the terror they feel at the unstoppable fate that they can't understand.

BlackGoku03

Oct 25, 2017
Would Sphere by Michael Crichton fit the bill? The movie wasn't all that good but the book is fantastic.

Daigoro

Oct 28, 2017
i think Alien fits as well. the eggs, the spacejockey, the xenomorph. fighting against something that is unimaginably more powerful than you.

and if the xeno exists, wtf else is out there? definitely gothic, but i can totally see cosmic horror as well.

OP
OP
UCBooties

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
To quote Wiki, "The philosophy of cosmicism states that there is no recognizable divine presence, such as a god, in the universe, and that humans are particularly insignificant in the larger scheme of intergalactic existence, and perhaps are just a small species projecting their own mental idolatries onto the vast cosmos"

Lovecraftian horror is specifically supernatural, but the broader realm of cosmic horror doesn't have to be. It just has to be unexplained and unknown. For example, Twilight Zone's And When The Sky Was Opened, a story where astronauts returning from a expedition gone wrong inexplicably find themselves starting to be erased from reality and the terror they feel at the unstoppable fate that they can't understand.

This is why I was expecting to get more pushback on Event Horizon, because I thought people would balk at the religious elements in that film disqualifying it as cosmic horror.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
The Void is terrible from a storytelling and character perspective even compared with Event Horizon.

mac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Alien is not cosmic horror. It's a monster in confined area and is really well directed.

It's high concept horror.

But, if that's what the kids call cosmic horror these days then I submit Life.

Life_%282017_film%29.png

Life features a cute little creature that suddenly starts to eat. I say it has about the intelligence of a crow but it's deeply, and disturbingly nasty. The way and how that it kills is sadistic and vile. But so is the way a wasp lays its eggs on a spider and the movie never stops reminding you of this. It's a nihilistic movie that is weighed down by dumb science people and terrible spatial awareness but the nihilism really shines through.

Rent if you need to see a horror movie with minor science elements.

Byshop303

Oct 31, 2017
John Dies at the End. Based on the book of the same name by the author David Wong (aka Jason Pargin). It's more humorous than scary but it's the most Lovecraftian film I've seen in a while:

It's ambiguous.
The crew log is in Latin which lends credence to the religious hell (catholic hell) interpretation but after Sam Niell's character goes over and comes back crazy he still refers to it in scientific terms (sort of)

My read on that one was
that it was a dimension of chaos. Something that certainly could be interpreted as hell (more like in the Doom sense) but not necessarily related to any specific religion nor did they ever mention anything about people going there when they die of they are bad.