• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Color Out Of Space:

Characters are a bit undercooked and the narrative framing is trying but comes off the same... but they nailed the overall feeling of " Welp these people are fucked it's just a matter of when and how " you get from Lovecraft stories. It's not quite existential dread, it's more the fear you get when you watch " The thing". These aren't inexplicable, mind warping horrors ( they are to the characters but it's never unclear as to how or what is going on to the audience )

Most importantly though I would love to See Stanley having a go at more of HP's work and more Stanley work in general. He did a great job.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I enjoyed Color Out of Space. It is more about the madness you would get just being adjacent to the cosmic horror in your yard. But then again, that's what the original story was about if I remember correctly. I felt Cage acted like he should've and not over-the-top like he does in other movies (which normally ruins a film for me) except for the accent he did to show his madness. That took a little to get use to but wasn't bad. But they did a good job of showing just enough and portraying how they might be affected. The visuals were on point and did seem cosmic horror-y.

Excited for Dunwich Horror and hope the stuff in here carries over.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuump.

I watch Underwater a couple of hours ago. While it isn't a cosmic horror, it got me in the mood. Anybody got any new recs ?

i've seen Colour Out Of Space already.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017

I watch Underwater a couple of hours ago. While it isn't a cosmic horror, it got me in the mood. Anybody got any new recs ?

Have you seen Resolution or The Endless yet?

Watch Resolution first if not.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Not a movie, but a horror novel I read recently that I really liked. It's a murder mystery set on the south side of Chicago in 1918. Incredible setting, lots of historical details, memorable characters, and definitely some cosmic horror.

Amazon.com: Lake of Darkness: A Novel: 9781945863509: Kenemore, Scott: Books

811tpvNFBjL.jpg

Oct 27, 2017
I finally was able to find and watch 'Vanishing on 7th street.' I thought it was pretty well done. Im suprised the movie was not any bigger than it is. So hard to find to watch. It deserved better. I do find it funny that Hayden Christensons characters name in the movie is Luke. Lol.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hmm,

I hesitate to call these ones good but they are all cosmic horror or adjacent

Black Mountain Side.
The Corridor
The Creature Below
Dirt Dauber
Die Farbe
None of those sound familiar. So i'll have a look. Thanks.
Not a movie, but a horror novel I read recently that I really liked. It's a murder mystery set on the south side of Chicago in 1918. Incredible setting, lots of historical details, memorable characters, and definitely some cosmic horror.

811tpvNFBjL.jpg
I'm not much of a reader. A horribly ignorant admission to make, i know.

I was more interested in stuff to watch (which i should have said in my post. Sorry) But genuinely, thank you for the rec.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017

This cover vaguely makes me think of Alan wake

H2Yo

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Hey ERA! I've been working on a project lately that incorporates some strong elements of cosmic horror, especially inspired by the works of H.P. Lovecraft, and I got to thinking about how relatively little cosmic horror I've seen in movies. I thought I'd start a thread to see what everyone's favorites were and maybe find a few new recommendations to add to my watch list.

First thing's first: What is Cosmic Horror?

Cosmic Horror is horror that derives its power to frighten from the unknown. It is a quintessentially post-enlightenment type of horror based around the concept that the universe is vast and unknowable and the more we attempt to discover about it through scientific inquiry, the more alien and terrible it becomes. Because of this, Cosmic Horror often has strong elements of science fiction though those elements are certainly not a necessity. Cosmic Horror often deals with themes of madness or altered perception, as the protagonists of the story encounter things which logic cannot explain and which test their understanding of the universe and their place in it.

I think there is an important key to deciding if something is Cosmic Horror:

A vast and uncaring universe. Cosmic Horror depicts a universe where humans are unimportant and all of our attempts to understand or control that universe are futile. Whatever the threat in a Cosmic Horror story is, it is usually unconcerned with humans, and may regard us as insects or take no notice of us at all.

The creation of the Cosmic Horror genre is generally credited to the works of H.P. Lovecraft and a few of his direct literary descendants writing pulp horror. A lot of Cosmic Horror shares the popular trappings of his work with cults, alien gods, and secrets that will drive you mad, but a work does not need to be directly Lovecraftian in order to be good Cosmic Horror.

Here are the Cosmic Horror movies that I have seen and enjoyed. Do you like Cosmic Horror, and is so, what are your favorite movie examples?

1. Alien

71yjMd0wUPL._RI_SX200_.jpg

The first Alien movie is pretty much perfect cosmic horror (as well as being a nearly perfectly constructed thriller).

A crew of people land on a hostile planet and discover a derelict spaceship of unknown origin. Inside they discover a massive corpse and hundreds of alien eggs. Soon enough they are being hunted through their own ship by a nightmarish creature which picks them off one by one...

I love how alien everything is in Alien, from the almost organic designs of the derelict ship to the design of the Space Jockey itself. It all hints at a huge universe that does not care about humanity at all.

Yes, all of this goes out the window with the most recent movies. Covenant itself fully transitions from Cosmic Horror to Gothic Horror of all things. That being said, if you take the original Alien as its own film, I think it still deserves to be lauded as extremely effective Cosmic Horror.

2. Event Horizon

This is another space themed movie and it's likely to be a more controversial pick. An experimental FTL ship vanishes during it's maiden voyage and is discovered years later floating in the far reaches of the solar system. A salvage crew goes to recover the ship and discovers the terrible fate of the original crew.

Event Horizon makes my list because it's central plot is built on the idea of circumventing natural law leading to horror. The Event Horizon traveled through another dimension and when it came back changed. Bonus points for also having a lot of the horror be tied to characters struggling to understand if what is happening to them is real or not. I enjoy Event Horizon despite its cheesier parts, but I know that it's kind of a love it or hate it movie.

3. In the Mouth of Madness

Oh hi again, Sam Neill! In the Mouth of Madness is the second in John Carpenter's Apocalypse Trilogy and sits between The Thing and The Prince of Darkness. In the Mouth of Madness might just be the most "Lovecraftian" movie on this list. It's clear that Carpenter wanted to pay specific homage to Lovecraft's work so you have a small New England town with terrible secrets, tentacled beasts, books which drive people mad, people who can't tell if books they are reading are real... It's all pretty great and John Carpenter swings for the fences with bringing out as much weird from the concept as he can manage while Sam Neill devours scenery in order to sell the increasing instability of his character.

If you are interested, try to watch this without learning too much about it, even some of the posters have annoying spoilers.

4. The Thing

v1.bTsxMTE2ODg5NTtqOzE3NTg5OzEyMDA7ODAwOzEyMDA

The first of the aforementioned Apocalypse Trilogy and one of the greatest practical effect horror films ever made. An antarctic research station is infiltrated by an alien creature that was dug up from beneath the ice. The crew realizes that they cannot trust anyone or anything as the creature can assume the form of any one of them.

I think The Thing is a good example of Cosmic Horror because, again, the creature has no interest in humans for our own sake. It's simply trying to survive and escape, and the humans it encounters are simply threats or disguises to be avoided or used and consumed. It also hearkened back to the trope of an expedition finding something they shouldn't have disturbed which Lovecraft used so much.

5. The Void

The_Void_%282016_film%29.png

The Void is a recent indie horror movie currently available on Netflix and, much like In the Mouth of Madness, it is pretty much a direct Lovecraftian story. A small group of people are trapped in a rural hospital as strange cultists close in and they learn that not everyone inside is who they seem. The movie is pulpy and fun and moves at a decent pace. It does a good job balancing the tense claustrophobia of its premise with some more large scale stakes and visuals.

A good use of Lovecraftian tropes that keeps escalating until the end.

So what say you ERA? Do you like Cosmic Horror? Do you think these movies are good examples of it? What are your favorite Cosmic Horror movies?

EDIT: ERA responds! Here is the list of movies (and a few books) that received several recommendations through the course of the thread:

Thanks to astro for creating the original version of this list

Underwater.

Fallout-NL

Oct 30, 2017

Vast of Night is one I saw recently and had a good time with. Light on the horror, though good at hinting at the enormity of things not earth as the title implies.

Noodle

Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Are you kidding? It's the MOST cosmic horror considering a special someone is in it...

I think it takes more than tentacle monsters to be regarded as Cosmic Horror.

I posted my personal definition earlier in the thread:

Well there are different degrees of it. There are films that make direct links to Lovercraft mythos even if they dumb down their monsters to basically zombies. There are films that have a few shots of cosmic horror imagery but aren't themselves cosmic horror (Hellboy).

Fundamentally, cosmic horror must involve a supernatural reality-warping extra-planetary threat that is completely unknowable and is on a gargantuan scale. Extra-planetary can mean from space or neighboring dimensions. It can be an alien that's been on our planet for centuries. It can't be a conventional alien of the flying saucer type but something that blurs the lines between sci-fi and supernatural. Bonus points for body horror.

Unknowable and scale should combine to form an atmosphere of existential dread. The threat must completely upend your perspective of the universe, ideally by putting mankind's importance, dominion, and stability at the very bottom of a food-chain and/or showing our narrow perception of what reality and the laws of physics to be a completely fragile and relative thing rather than an absolute. What is known and fact and permanent is shown as to be as malleable as clay. It should be shown that the universe is a dark and terrible place and that our little conventional ecosphere is a tiny bubble of comfort that disappears if you take even a small step outside of it. The threat should be so alien and cosmic in scope that understanding or relating to it is impossible, bar a vague knowledge that we'll be consumed or used up for some minor purpose. Chaos and pain for its own sake is acceptable.

The alien and reality-bending nature of the threat should overlap with insanity. Threats are so unknowable and mind-bending that they shatter minds in their wake with the knowledge of their existence. The insanity aspects can be spun-off to mean the presence of cults.

Scale also overlaps with several elements. Time, in that they've been around so long that they are the status quo and we are the newly-emerged and temporary break in chaos, i.e. the universe belongs to them. Scale in scope, so that it triggers that existential dread by making us realise that we're not important and forever. We're dust or fleas and equally as fragile. It also helps make the threat unknowable the same way an ant colony will never understand our motivations.

Not all these elements must be present for something to be cosmic horror. Not all films will be equally steeped in cosmic horror. A few examples:

In the Mouth of Madness (reality bending, extra-dimensional threat, insanity)
Cabin in the Woods (cosmic scale threat that up-ends our view of the world and place in universe)
Annihilation (reality bending, non-conventional alien threat, minor insanity & body horror)
The Borderlands (cosmic scale supernatural threat, insanity)
John Dies at the End (cosmic extra-dimensional threat, reality bending, insanity as a goal, body horror)
Event Horizon (extra dimensional threat, upending of what we know as a safe universe, insanity, minor reality bending)
It (cosmic scale extra-dimensional threat, insanity, reality bending)

An example of something you might superficially argue as cosmic horror but isn't, is Alien.

+ body horror
+ non-conventional alien
~ insanity - you could make a case for this but to me it's very conventional insanity, same as you'd get when a serial killer makes a chase victim "snap" and they go and do something stupid and borderline suicidal
~ dangerous universe - only localised to their colonies. We have plenty of peaceful settled worlds and it's not like the gulf in threat between us and them is insurmountable.
- no reality or laws of physics bending
- completely understandable. They eat, shit and fuck, same as any ordinary creature. They're about as unknowable as Jurassic Park's dinosaurs or Eight Legged Freaks' spiders.
- teeny-tiny scale. They have no grand-scale unknowable plan with us as a footnote. We're not the ants, they are. Just a particularly virulent kind.

Now I don't expect to get full agreement of my definition and we can quibble over the precise line a film becomes cosmic horror, but we should be able to conclude that Chernobyl is not cosmic horror. Get Out is not cosmic horror.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Its a decent B movie anyways and the end reveal is a nice little bonus for Lovecraft fans. Definately worth a watch for regulars in here, even if its not cosmic horror.

May 17, 2019
My list:

1. Possession (1981)
2. The Wailing
3. In The Mouth of Madness
4. Begotten
5. Antichrist
6. Sleep Has Her House
7. November (2017)
8. The Beyond

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i watch Coprse (an adapation of the King In Yellow) earlier in the week. After hearing about it for a couple of years. It's finally out on Amazon Prime.

Here's a trailer.

Umm. Yeah i liked it. Need to watch it again though, as i was very tired and nodded off here and then.

Worth a go, if you got prime.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched The Beach House (2020) and that was some damn good cosmic horror. Starts off kind of tame, but gets pretty wild. Some fascinating shot composition, and
some good gross practical body horror.
in addition to the cosmic horror vibes. The characters and acting are a bit flat, but the rest of it is great. Avoid the trailer.

0a4bb23a28d2c2c4_boxart.jpg

gforguava

Oct 25, 2017
I would say the biggest problem with cosmic horror in film is that the very act of filming, of rendering the unknowable in whatever manner the filmmakers chooses and then showing it, it immediately quantifies it and reduces the unknowable into the absolute knowable. No matter how horrific or unnerving, you can now look at it and understand it.

B-Dex

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver
Just saw A colour out of space last night. I think my brain shut down at one point. I remember the entire film but at some point I felt like I was refreshed like I had a nap? Also I physically gasped and covered my mouth at one part. Can't remember the last time a movie made me have a physical reaction like that.

But I'm excited to get into more cosmos horror now.

Fireatwill

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I need to rewatch The Color Out of Space. I kept getting distracted last time and couldn't give it my full attention. I think I remember what scene you're talking about.

I'd recommend "The Endless" if you're looking for some more cosmic horror.

John Rabbit

Oct 25, 2017
I need to rewatch The Color Out of Space. I kept getting distracted last time and couldn't give it my full attention. I think I remember what scene you're talking about.

I'd recommend "The Endless" if you're looking for some more cosmic horror.
I'd highly recommend watching Resolution before watching The Endless. It's not required, but it does make The Endless a little more coherent a little sooner and pays off a few otherwise random "things" in the film.

XShagrath

Oct 25, 2017
I'd highly recommend watching Resolution before watching The Endless. It's not required, but it does make The Endless a little more coherent a little sooner and pays off a few otherwise random "things" in the film.
I felt just the opposite. I wasn't that enamored with Resolution, even with watching The Endless first. I think I would have actually liked Resolution less if I had watched them in the other order.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
I watched The Endless first and was a decent fan until the ending with the laughable monologues as the characters are near-death.

Feel like I won't enjoy Resolution as much since I already know what's up but I'll eventually give it a shot. Color Out of Space was alright but Mandy was such a better batshit colorful Nic Cage horror/sci-fi film recently that it's kind of lessened.

Color Out of Space is good, Mandy is one of the best movies released in recent years. Not really a contest.

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I agree that it doesn't have the horror element of madness but I think it's straddles the line and it's so obviously borrowing from the Lovecraft mythos. It's definitely showcasing the mystery of the oceanic depths

Deep Rising is similar, also recommended :D a forgotten 90´s tentacle monster film

cf886ec1640634e050f7959fb6590f11.jpg

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
I've been pissed off for a long time that we never got a sequel. Especially after that ending.

yeah, i´m happy we did atleast get a Bluray release of it though. And yeah, it´s not cosmic horror, just deep sea monsters :D But Abyss, Leviathan and this makes for a good deep sea trilogy :D

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
The problem with cosmic horror movies is the best way to experience one is to go in not knowing its a cosmic horror movie.

Agreed. Netflix's
Annihilation
would have been a MUCH better experience, if someone on this forum hadn't spoiled the surprise for me. I was trying to avoid any info of it beforehand, yet that jackass spoiled it the day after it was released, without any spoiler tags as usual.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
Usually silly to argue genre, but True Detective S1 is definitely a southern gothic with neo-noir elements.

Evolution from 2001 is a cosmic horror comedy of sorts.

Last edited:

Melchiah

Oct 26, 2017
Helsinki, Finland
this stuff will never not sound wrong to me

buying up a movie at the last second or w/e and then attributing it to them, i dunno

but i guess distribution companies get this luxury all the time

maybe its just
annihilation
specifically for me cuz i saw it in theaters

That trivial thing is what caught your eye?

I just mentioned Netflix in connection to the film, so people would have some idea what may be inside the spoiler tags, as in, not something new. Mentioning someone in it would have given it away immediately.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That trivial thing is what caught your eye?

I just mentioned Netflix in connection to the film, so people would have some idea what may be inside the spoiler tags, as in, not something new. Mentioning someone in it would have given it away immediately.

oh shit i just realized i ruined the spoiler, i'll edit my post

pretty dumb of me tbh

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I finally got around to watching Colour Out of Space, that was great.

I worried since I found the other Cage movie dreadful but this was so great. Tempted to get it in 4K!

Currently halfway through Lovecraft County and totally enjoying it!

Not super cosmic-y or adult but Netflix has Legend Quest on Netflix, its a cartoon about a kid, an imaginary creature, and his two ghost friends trying to stop Quetzalcoatl from taking over the world and it does a lot of supernatural stuff across the world. One of the main baddies is Baba Yaga...might not fit most people's cup of tea but curious if it would be a good beginner's steps to get children into cosmic horror? Hope it isn't too much of a stretch.

Sully

Oct 25, 2017
Color out of space was a good and trippy. A little bit of the thing, some other lovecraft, and some great nic cage moments