Ramala

Oct 28, 2017
Santa Monica, LA
Probably cheese. That writeup was soon after I woke up and processed. Tbh I have a lot of dreams like that but it was fresh and I had just read this thread the night before.

The thing about movies like The Grudge and The Ring that gets me beyond the J-horror visuals is the idea that these supernatural entities absolutely hate you. Not people, just you, in that exact moment. With a will so strong it brings them to life to haunt and murder you and there's nothing you can do. Zero.

The-Ring-3d-Brings-On-I-Am-Legend.jpg

zoabs

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 7, 2018
I hope The Lighthouse contains some cosmic horror. I don't wanna be disappointed but I also don't wanna spoil it for myself because I know I'll like the movie regardless; I just would LOVE it if it had Supernatural elements (namely cosmic horror)

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Richard Stanleys Colour out of Space adaptation with Nic Cage has been screened at TIFF but still no trailer. Currently 83% fresh.

Mary Beth Andrews from Daily Grindhouse gave the film a positive review, writing, "His [Richard Stanley] film successfully captures the madness of Lovecraft's work and is a dazzling modern interpretation. [...] Lovecraft is notoriously hard to adapt, but Stanley walks the fine line between horror and existential dread to create a successful adaptation"

coloroutofspace_0HERO-1.jpg

Deleted member 42055

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 12, 2018
Richard Stanleys Colour out of Space adaptation with Nic Cage has been screened at TIFF but still no trailer. Currently 83% fresh.

And this out soon??? From a review
"...takes a number of very big swings in its mission to bring cosmic horror to the big screen, and it's not simply "competently-made" or "watchable". It's a ferocious, gorgeously-shot fever dream that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that this is where Richard Stanley belongs - behind the camera, melting minds, an active member of the horror filmmaking community. In my humble opinion, that makes Color Out of Space is more than just a great Lovecraft adaptation - its existence is one of the year's most satisfying (and, quite frankly, touching) success stories."

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
So my libray just got Aniara. I loved Interstellar, Prometheus, and Sunshine...... do yall think i'll like this one?

How's the English dub? Or should I just stick with Swedish.
Aniara is fantastic, my favorite sci-fi film of the year, but I wouldn't call it cosmic horror. Existential dread, sure; "space is uncaring and terrifying", yes; but it's not Lovecraftian or cosmic horror

And yes, watch subbed (Always watch foreign films subbed)

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
"...takes a number of very big swings in its mission to bring cosmic horror to the big screen, and it's not simply "competently-made" or "watchable". It's a ferocious, gorgeously-shot fever dream that proves beyond any reasonable doubt that this is where Richard Stanley belongs - behind the camera, melting minds, an active member of the horror filmmaking community. In my humble opinion, that makes Color Out of Space is more than just a great Lovecraft adaptation - its existence is one of the year's most satisfying (and, quite frankly, touching) success stories."
Whoa, I've got to see this.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
Glad to see the reviews for Color Out Of Space is looking good. Some random guy on my Facebook feed saw it and said it was uneven, which worried me a bit.

What's the release date on it? It says "coming soon" on RT, and when I google "Color Out Of Space release date" I keep getting its showing at TIFF.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Glad to see the reviews for Color Out Of Space is looking good. Some random guy on my Facebook feed saw it and said it was uneven, which worried me a bit.

What's the release date on it? It says "coming soon" on RT, and when I google "Color Out Of Space release date" I keep getting its showing at TIFF.
RLJE Films acquired the movie, so I wouldn't surprised if they do a simultaneous limited release + VOD like with Mandy. Mandy came out like eight months after its Sundance premiere, so hopefully we won't have to wait as long

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I'll watch it but I wish film (and games) would get on the weird fiction and cosmic horror that isn't Lovecraft. Lovecraft might be the most popular but he's a bit shit, overly formulaic and a white supremacist.
I liked some of the ideas he formed but yeah, I really don't like reading his stuff. You can only not describe a creature so many times before I am out.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch it but I wish film (and games) would get on the weird fiction and cosmic horror that isn't Lovecraft. Lovecraft might be the most popular but he's a bit shit, overly formulaic and a white supremacist.
Have you seen The Endless or The Incident (2014 spanish film)? Also In The Tall Grass looks to fit in that category of non-Lovecraftian weird/cosmic horror

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

Because he kickstarted everything and is ubiquitous with the genre to the point his name is used as a descriptor to an entire horror niche. I'd say the bigger issue is everyone that followed him took the themes and his creations and beat them into the ground without adding or evolving past what Lovecraft was doing q century ago outside of moving away from his racism.

Last edited:

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because he kickstarted everything and is ubiquitous with the genre to the point his name is used as a descriptor to an entire horror niche. I'd say the bigger issue is everyone that followed him beatthe themes and his creations and beaten them into the ground without adding or evolving past what Lovecraft was doing q century ago outside of moving away from his racism.

He absolutely didn't. He is certainly the most well known but he certainly didn't create it.

Have you seen The Endless or The Incident (2014 spanish film)? Also In The Tall Grass looks to fit in that category of non-Lovecraftian weird/cosmic horror

I haven't I will check them out. Thanks. The Endless has been in 'my list' for a while.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
He absolutely didn't. He is certainly the most well known but he certainly didn't create it.

I never said created, I said kickstarted and that he is ubiquitous with most things cosmic horror. You can't get away from his influence when people still use the Necronomicon all the time in their stories and love creating alien monsters whose anatomy is as jumbled as their names.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I never said created, I said kickstarted and that he is ubiquitous with most things cosmic horror. You can't get away from his influence when people still use the Necronomicon all the time in their stories and love creating alien monsters whose anatomy is as jumbled as their names.

There were so many writers before and after him doing something else on the subject it's just that he got popular and many used his formula. He kickstarted that which is named after him but cosmic horror and weird fiction has always been for more diverse than just the Lovecraft stuff.

Last edited:

apstyl

Oct 25, 2017
I saw Color Out of Space on Monday at Fantastic Fest. Its fucking incredible. Its basically Mandy X Annihilation in the milieu of late 80s family horror flick. The way it visualizes the cosmic nature of what is happening is really well done, and they nailed casting for someone who who can pull off going mad. The movie is mean and gnarly and gross. Its so fucking good, warts and all.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
I saw Color Out of Space on Monday at Fantastic Fest. Its fucking incredible. Its basically Mandy X Annihilation in the milieu of late 80s family horror flick. The way it visualizes the cosmic nature of what is happening is really well done, and they nailed casting for someone who who can pull off going mad. The movie is mean and gnarly and gross. Its so fucking good, warts and all.
ooo so Mandy but good and actually cosmic stuff?! I am in.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
They are pretty basic comparative to the range of literature there is on the subjects with film often coming from a lovecraftian strain.

What would you want to see adapted? It seems you want more weird fiction adaptations, which I would welcome too, but this is a thread specifically about cosmic horror, so its not really a suprise it focuses on Lovecratian movies.

I for one would love to see more Jeff VanderMeer on the big screen.

This is very welcome to hear!

Elandyll

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Oh shit I had no idea this was being done.

It's my favorite HPL short story, and I think it probably had a lot of influence on stuff like Annihilation.
I hope it gets a wide release.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Nicolas Cage would make for a great Randolph Carter if they ever adapted something like The Dreamquest of Unknown Kaddath.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What would you want to see adapted? It seems you want more weird fiction adaptations, which I would welcome too, but this is a thread specifically about cosmic horror, so its not really a suprise it focuses on Lovecratian movies.

I for one would love to see more Jeff VanderMeer on the big screen.

This is very welcome to hear!

Ooo good question. Definitely Algernon Blackwood and Ryunosuke Akutagawa (Akira Kurasawas Rashamon should really highlight the potential of his stories being translated to film). Then more modernist writers like Kubin, Schulz, Eric Basso, and Hagiwara Sakutaro, I don't think I have seen any adaptations of their work in film and would all be great.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, this makes my pants tighter.

please be better than Mandy

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More_Badass The Endless 👍, thought it was very Lovecraftian but has enough different tomake it feel like it's inspired rather than derivative. Only thing I didn't like was the speaches at the end as it felt a bit overdone and cheesy compared to the rest of the film. I enjoyed it.

Now to check out those other films.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Ooo good question. Definitely Algernon Blackwood and Ryunosuke Akutagawa (Akira Kurasawas Rashamon should really highlight the potential of his stories being translated to film). Then more modernist writers like Kubin, Schulz, Eric Basso, and Hagiwara Sakutaro, I don't think I have seen any adaptations of their work in film and would all be great.

Some new names for me there. Will have to check them out.

Also, you should watch Resolution. The Endless is a semi-sequel to it and it explains what happened to a couple of the characters you see in the second half of the film.

Incidentally, the next film by the directors of The Endless was also just shown at TIFF. Doesn't sound like cosmic horror from the description but it has a big twist so who knows.

Last edited:

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. The description didnt mention they were set in the same universe. In that case, its very likely to be cosmic horror.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some new names for me there. Will have to check them out.

Also, you should watch Resolution. The Endless is a semi-sequel to it and it explains what happened to a couple of the characters you see in the second half of the film.

Incidentally, the next film by the directors of The Endless was also just shown at TIFF. Doesn't sound like cosmic horror from the description but it has a big twist so who knows.

I was really in the mood to watch Resolution but looking on all UK steaming services it's not available, nor is it even available to buy.

BigDes

Knows Too Much
Oct 25, 2017
Was wondering how well a House of the Borderlands movie adaptation could work

It is arguably one of the first cosmic horror novels but I feel that when the cosmic part of the horror kicks in the story actually drops massively in quality. When it is about a dude in a spooky house harrassed by pig men it still feels tense but when he goes on his pantheon of the gods mega tour it just drags.