• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Announced on the shootingfes stream. Can't do a timestamp as it's still streaming, but link is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dtWnn7PBHM - bit less then 2hr30min in.

ztUm2XG.png

OZHQqCF.png

www.4gamer.net

セガサターンの「コットン2」などサクセス製STGを3本まとめた「コットン ガーディアンフォース サターントリビュート」が9月30日に発売

シティコネクションは本日,「コットン ガーディアンフォース サターントリビュート」(PS4 / Nintendo Switch)を発表した。これはサクセスが1997年に発売した「コットン2」,1998年に発売した「コットンブーメラン」および「ガーディアンフォース」を移植したものだ。

So this will be the saturn versions of Cotton 2/Cotton Boomerang & Guardian Force.

Deepl translation:

City Connection announced 'Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute' (PS4 / Nintendo Switch) today (April 24, 2021) in 'Shoe Daisai - Shooting Game Appreciation Festival - Day 1', which is being streamed on Arcade Mikado's YouTube channel.

This is a port of "Cotton 2" released by Success in 1997, "Cotton Boomerang" released in 1998, and "Guardian Force" also released in 1998. Both arcade and Sega Saturn versions exist, but as the product name says, "Saturn Tribute", the Sega Saturn version is the base. In addition, the game has a standard continuous shooting function, rewind to past scenes, quick save/load, and online ranking.

In addition to the standard edition, there will also be a special edition, scheduled for release on September 30. Pre-orders will be accepted on April 27th, and the product outline will be announced on the same day. The company is also considering providing the game for platforms other than PS4 and Nintendo Switch.

In addition, it was also announced that the 30th anniversary title of "Cotton" that Success is developing will be released for arcades. The game itself was not revealed, as the development side said that they wanted to refrain from showing it off at this stage because they were not yet satisfied with it, but they are confident about the quality of the game.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I have no idea what this is but my brain read "Guardian," "Saturn," and "announced" and I got really excited.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Cool. I'd love to see more Saturn games get ported for new systems. There are some cool games languishing on the old hardware

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Not the first time I've said this in the past week, but...

Man... I really picked the best time to get into shmups! So glad I decided to jump in.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, nice to see Saturn ports. Aren't 2 and Boomerang stupid expensive these days?
Seems like 2 can go for around $200 while Boomerang is more expensive at $300+.

Between the remake & this, makes me super happy it's becoming much easier to give this series a try. I actually JUST bought the PS1 version of Cotton 100% off the Japanese PS3 store since it was like $3ish.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome news. Guardian Force is both crazy expensive on Saturn and very overlooked by shooter fans at the same time.

Last edited:

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Boomerang is the only one I'm familiar with, but it's great.

I'm happy City Connection is re-releasing a lot of their stuff, they've put games on the NSO as well.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't we just get a new Cotton port recently on PS4/Switch? Are those coming to the US anytime soon?

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't we just get a new Cotton port recently on PS4/Switch? Are those coming to the US anytime soon?
Yeah, Cotton Reboot, which is a remaster of the original. It came out in Japan in Feb., but only "Q1 2021" for the west.

Speaking of, that game got confirmed to have an update in May where they're adding two Cotton 2 characters for free.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Cotton Reboot, which is a remaster of the original. It came out in Japan in Feb., but only "Q1 2021" for the west.

Speaking of, that game got confirmed to have an update in May where they're adding two Cotton 2 characters for free.
Probably makes more sense to get in to the JP eshop then, right? It's a shmup, not a JRPG so should be fine, right?

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
YES YES YES!!!!

seems like it might (will, *imo*) come later:

"The company is also considering providing the game for platforms other than PS4 and Nintendo Switch."

I definitely hope so, it's been disappointing to see a few other retro collections come out on consoles and never receive a PC port (or at least not so far).

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Probably makes more sense to get in to the JP eshop then, right? It's a shmup, not a JRPG so should be fine, right?
Probably, though the menus & dialogue during cutscenes are in Japanese. It's also 4,980 yen & I imagine the US version will be less than $50. Strictly Limited Games says they're still planning on late April/early May for the physical version, so maybe wait to see if there's some news soon?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
This recent trend of getting more Saturn ports is awesome.

I used own the Japan import of the original Cotton on the PSX years ago, I'm guessing the Saturn version is better? Well I'll be buying this collection regardless.

Hayama Akito

Oct 25, 2017
Very happy for this, but not only because I like Cotton and Guardian Force but because WE NEED MORE SATURN TO MODERN HARDWARE PORTS, DAMN IT.

It's 2021, the "Saturn emulation is baaaaad" is a myth. Mednafen says hi.

EDIT: Yes, is Saturn emulation. It has the same loading times and even still has the "ext-ram" message.

Ezwsv4wX0AMb_Ka

Last edited:

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
Which of the Cotton games had anime cutscenes? I remember a really funny one with Cotton starting out giggling then going full ROFLcopter.

Ruprit

Oct 25, 2017
MA
Instant purchase. Each of those games, Cotton Boomerang in particular, are some of the most expensive games to purchase for the Sega Saturn.

Guardian Force is a wonderful game. I love the art style. It's simple but uses color so well.

Dache

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Ohh wow, this is an amazing combo of games. Personally I love Cotton Boomerang, the bubbling and throwing combo mechanic is a lot easier than in 2 and it really makes the game sing for me, it's a lot more frantic and fun. I thought Guardian Force was something totally different, I'm intrigued to check that out. There aren't many Saturn ports these days either, that's interesting itself.

mrbogus

Jul 14, 2019
This is great news. Three good (and expensive) Saturn games finding their way to newer hardware for more people to discover.

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Just got Cotton Reboot on PS4 and i'm having a blast!!!!, it is the physical version, so i hope to get the Saturn Tribute physcally as well, do someone know if this is going to be release physically in America as well?

I can pre order in PlayAsia.com but i would prefer the American version (not able to find it PA).