• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
72 hour time limit. Columbo is visiting Gotham and meets Bruce Wayne in a train on the way in or something. Shennanigans occur. Could he do it?

Bonus question: could Harry duBois (Disco Elysium)?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
100%, but I think he'd be respectful about it. Like, he'd make sure they knew, but he wouldn't tell Bruce himself directly, but maybe he'd sneak in a sly comment to Alfred "Y'know that Batman guys awful familiar..." and a sly smile.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Columbo would not only find out Batman is Bruce Wayne, he'd manage to find out the Joker's actual origin story.

You don't fuck with Lt. Columbo. Ever.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
I mean all he'd have to do is read the Batman comic books? Or check wikipedia? Or watch any of the dozen or so film adaptations of The Batman?

RiOrius

Oct 27, 2017
He'd know, but IIRC Columbo usually wasn't big on finding hard evidence. He'd play the perp into outing themselves or somehow screwing up big-time, and Bruce wouldn't fall for his traps.

TheDarkKnight

Oct 25, 2017
Of course, he doesn't work that hard hiding it. It's more people don't really bother to figure out his identity. I mean as a kid, Tim figured it out

butalala

Nov 24, 2017
He'd figure it out the first time he met Bruce. Remember, columbo exclusively solves the crimes of the rich.

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
columbo has a hunch and holds that hunch for years if he needs to

but on a deadline? columbo is even more unstoppable

you cannot out wait columbo

you cannot escape one more thing

May 26, 2018
In one day. As soon as Bruce got home from the crime, Columbo would already be there, scratching his nose and talking about his wife.

InspectorJones

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Can't comment about Columbo, but it really depends on Harry's stats. I feel like high logic and conceptualization would really do some heavy lifting.

Mister Ursine

Sep 10, 2023
I actually don't know with this one. The Bruce Wayne persona, cocky rich playboy is getting chewed up by Columbo. But that's not the real Bruce Wayne, it's an act. The fact that he's putting on an act and pretending to be something he isn't would probably tip Columbo to the fact there is more going on...but I don't know what evidence he would find. Bruce is an obsessive, paranoid weirdo. And Columbo isn't gonna openly break the law to get evidence.

It's a draw. Bring in Doomsday so they can beat him together.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Well, I save scummed through much of Disco Elysium, but I assume that's off limits here.

Seaneko

Jun 11, 2020
California
He'd know, but IIRC Columbo usually wasn't big on finding hard evidence. He'd play the perp into outing themselves or somehow screwing up big-time, and Bruce wouldn't fall for his traps.
Good point actually. Columbo rarely faced off against anyone who was actually intelligent about covering their tracks. I definitely think he'd suspect him but there's absolutely no way he'd be able to get Bruce to slip.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
people like to think Columbo is like L or sommit, which isnt fair

Columbo was a lot more competent than L

Alcoremortis

Oct 25, 2017
Harry DuBois would get an important clue from his necktie within minutes and spend the rest of the week trying to prove it wrong.

Jun 7, 2018
dQ8vEIW.jpeg

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Columbo solves every mystery within the first minute of screen time in the episode and spends the rest of it taunting the killer with his knowledge. Yes, he'd figure this out.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Lol, Bruce Wayne is Batman? Yeah, right!

EDIT: I wanted to see if Adam West ever guested on Columbo for some reason. Googling it gave me this:

wplV2fe.jpeg

Nida

Aug 31, 2019
Everett, Washington
At the end of the episode Columbo would act like it was the one mystery he couldn't solve and secretly reveals to Bruce he knows and the episode ends.

iosefe

The Unshakable Resolve of "this guy are sick"
Oct 26, 2017
Where the sun shines
need something for Columbo to press him on.

lets say Batman finally kills the Joker, leading to a barely visible change in the Bruce Wayne persona, but *just* the kind that Columbo could notice.
now, why does batman kill the Joker? maybe something to do with the bat family, such as kidnapping one of them while they are in civilian mode, but its quite public and they can't suit up. something that would really send him over, and Columbo finds himself interacting with each of them over the course of the investigation.

ConfusingJazz

Not the Ron Paul Texas Fan.
Oct 26, 2017
China
At the end of the episode Columbo would act like it was the one mystery he couldn't solve and secretly reveals to Bruce he knows and the episode ends.

Pretty much. Columbo would be investigating someone trying to plant a murder on Bruce Wayne, and Columbo would always just come in the room as Bruce was trying to escape to the Bat Cave. Columbo would also get real Bruce Wayne, not the persona.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I feel like the people who get close to figuring it out are either close to Bruce or try and track Batman.

Columbo starting off on a train and Joker attacks so Bruce has to quick change to save people, I think he'd narrow it down fast enough. If he meets Bruce and Batman separately, he'd figure it out. If he was just hired by the cops to figure out who Batman is, with no leads to go on, I don't think he'd figure it out in time. I don't imagine he can track Batman back to Wayne Manor, or any of his mini-caves, and if he's never in a situation requiring a quick change he wouldn't consider Bruce an option. Plus if Bruce is onto him he can play Bruce all day and let Clark or Dick be Batman to be in two places at once.

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like Harry would figure it out but then reveal it in such a strange, disjointed way that people wouldn't take it seriously.

Fat4all

Oct 25, 2017
here
my ass is watching more columbo right fucking now cant help myself

thank god for tubi

Radnom

Oct 25, 2017
Bruce: Don't worry, Mr. Wayne, your uh, your secret's safe with me
Bruce: w.. what secret?
Columbo: That you have a butler [wink] [credits]

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
If Columbo can figure out how Frasier Crane did it, remasking Bruce Wayne's real identity will be no problem.

A villain frames Bruce Wayne for murder to draw out the Bat, but Columbo figures out the truth and saves the day (with a little help from Batman).

Dec 30, 2020
Easily. Bruce gets home to find a flustered Alfred apologizing for their guest who insisted he'd only need a moment.

Bruce finds him smoking a cigar in the parlor, admiring a picture of his parents, "ah, sorry to bother ya sir, y'know, and I hope ya don't think I'm speakin' outta turn, but my wife adored Thomas and Martha. Any time a documentary or a book comes out she's gotta read it. My condolences, er... *Pulls out a notebook* you'll excuse me, I gotta write everything down these days... Uh... It's in regard to a recent car accident you reported. Uh, well sir, I don't know if you recall the surgeon who operated on you afterwards-"

"Tommy Elliot," says a stoic and slightly annoyed Bruce, "a family friend, finest neurosurgeon on the east coast."

"Ah, a friend... Well sir I don't know how to tell you this but Dr. Elliot was shot this evening after attending a play..."

Bruce playing it cool, "oh god....I'd heard on the radio a clown attacked the play... It was that horrible Joker, wasn't it??"

"Er, well yes and no and perhaps, sir."

"What do you-"

"It was a former psychologist who interrupted the show in a- *checks notes* harlequin costume. But we did find the Joker outside with the smoking gun as they say..."

"Hopefully he's put away for a long time."

"He insists he's innocent."

"Just another bad joke."

"Aren't you at all curious, sir?"

"Who knows how that twisted mind works."

"No sir, about Dr. Elliot's condition."

"What? But he's-" Bruce is momentarily caught off guard.

"He was taken to Gotham general but I haven't heard if he'll pull through..."

"I thought he was-"

"Ah well, I understand, you weren't there, and you hear about the Joker, of course you'll assume the worst."

Last edited: