Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
With Homecoming, Far From Home and No away Home being critical and financial successes do you think a similar deal with Fox when they had the Fantastic Four and the X-Men could have worked?

Don't know their relationship at the time and if either would've even been willing to work together but it's clear the current partnership has been beneficial to both. With Spidey being better than ever that may help with whatever spin offs they have down the line that involves Spider-Man or any related character.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think it would be as successful because the X-Men movies were never as popular as the Sony Spider-Man movies. Fantastic 4 even less so.

Demonic Drape

Banned
Sep 10, 2021
Maybe? Just depends on if people could set aside their egos, not always likely.

To both companies credit, they really do seem to have a nice collaborative spirit with these spidey films. That's not easy to pull off

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like their relationship was even more strained, with the back and forth over ie Quicksilver.

I also think that depending on what timeframe you're looking at, Fox was probably more confident in their ability to turn B/C list characters into hugely successful franchises (ie Deadpool), whereas Sony was struggling to do that with Spider-Man when they first cut their deal with Marvel.

I also think that the selection of characters that Fox had access too could have more easily supported a wider universe if they hadn't mishandled continuity so badly, and dropped the ball with ie Fantastic Four, let their rights to Daredevil expire etc. They didn't need Marvel to let them in on the MCU, they just need to get their house in order.

Edit: I kinda think Disney would not have wanted to be associated with Bryan Singer, whereas Fox kept working with him for a long time, only eventually severed ties when the pressure got too much.

Kinda curious what's going to happen with Jared Leto if the deal with Sony is to make Morbius part of the MCU.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Weren't they able to get the rights to Ego in exchange for changes made to a character in Deadpool 2?

Joshua

Oct 27, 2017
It wouldn't have worked because like Sony, Fox would have had a schedule to maintain and revenue targets to make and while it was easy for Marvel Studios to work a Spider-Man release into their phased approach - Fox's roster of characters likely would have demanded a minimum 2 films annually and Disney/Marvel could not really have made that work without dilluting their own release schedule and forcing F4, mutants into the MCU narrative.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Spider-Man is just one character with 1 movie every few years. Doing a similar deal with X-Men or F4 seems too complicated, and with the number of movies Fox did I don't see it working out well. And neither have the pull that Spidey does anyways, so I don't see why Disney would've done it. Buying Fox and getting access to the whole cast of X-Men and F4 is a whole lot better and easier to integrate than this.

junk

Nov 1, 2017
Probably could've worked if both heads were willing to come to the table TBH.

But after that last parting shot in NWH, I'm ready for Feige to give us definitive status quo F4 and X-men. LETS GOOO

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
c4bf75d3-a815-45ef-ab5b-79e980e101ce_small.png

Given that the man who was the probably the biggest hinderance for any potential hypothetical deal between Disney and then Fox now runs Sony i wouldn't go counting any chickens.....especially not in the light of the incredible opening of NWH.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
At the time of the Sony deal almost every area of Sony's film portfolio was not performing, so I think Sony had everything to gain from that deal.

I don't recall Fox ever being in as weak a state as Sony and Fox may have released some absolute X-Men stinkers, but they also released some gold too.

Yasuke

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think so.

The Fox-Men movies didn't even respect their own continuity. They were a mess of epic proportions.

It's better this way.

Never forget:

mreddie

Oct 26, 2017
c4bf75d3-a815-45ef-ab5b-79e980e101ce_small.png

Given that the man who was the probably the biggest hinderance for any potential hypothetical deal between Disney and then Fox now runs Sony i wouldn't go counting any chickens.....especially not in the light of the incredible opening of NWH.
Bingo, he's gonna be a roadblock if MCU wants all in Spidey, Spider-Verse/Venom being big is why MCU almost lost Spidey as he pulled them out and now is having a good deal but Chapek now running Disney and Rothman still there, it's gonna be a weird ass ride, even if Pascal/Feige are the middlemen.

Freddy=Legend

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 29, 2017
The X-Men movies were making good returns. Don't underestimate how much damage The Amazing Spider-Man 2 did to the brand & perception. That movie was so bad Sony needed goodwill back & teaming up with Disney gave them so much freedom to be making Venom & Morbius movies since Spider-Man is a cash cow with Marvel doing the heavy lifting. Fox at the time doing well with X-Men First Class & Days of Future Past.

hodayathink

Oct 25, 2017
Bingo, he's gonna be a roadblock if MCU wants all in Spidey, Spider-Verse/Venom being big is why MCU almost lost Spidey as he pulled them out and now is having a good deal but Chapek now running Disney and Rothman still there, it's gonna be a weird ass ride, even if Pascal/Feige are the middlemen.

It was an in-public negotiation, regardless of what both sides say they were never gonna actually let the deal expire for good. Giving up a quarter of the profits on a billion dollar franchise isn't something to be taken lightly, and Sony was right to ask for what they got in return (which was likely the crossover and possible input of Marvel on "non-MCU" projects).

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017

Absolutely. You just can't predict which way Rothman will go when it comes down to deals like this.

Rothman is known for driving a 'fancy' car to work on a Monday morning when a Sony picture opens at number one at the box office, I wonder what he'll be driving tomorrow? Unless they are still working from home then he'll probably endlessly drive around the block playing loud music.

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
The Fox X-Men timeline was way too messy, a reset was needed if they were ever going to connect to the MCU imo

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Too many moving parts on the Fox end. One major character versus like what, two prominent team based franchises, at a minimum.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sony were on their knees with Spiderman, only had I.P. strength, quality wasn't there. Fox put out brilliant movies like Logan, Deadpool and X-Men: Days of Futures Past so didn't need MCU to help out on that front, they could go it alone and still be successful. Perhaps not as successful commercially, but quality that exceeded MCU multiple times, so no, I think they weren't as desperate and so wouldn't back down on certain control imo. Buying them out was perhaps the only way.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
I think it would be very tough. Spider-Man started with integrating Peter and expanding from there. Trying to do the same with Wolverine and Dr. Doom, for example, would be tough. Not impossible, but much harder than integrating Spidey and its lore.

Plus X-Men's and Fantastic 4 had been mishandled for years, decades even up until the Fox buyout IMO. It's a whole other thread that people can do in-depth in, but the point is there's an embarrassment of riches on both of those lores, especially X-Men. At some point Fox would realize what they really had and it would have been over no matter what Disney tried. Hell Fox didn't even know what they had with Daredevil.

Absolutely. You just can't predict which way Rothman will go when it comes down to deals like this.

Rothman is known for driving a 'fancy' car to work on a Monday morning when a Sony picture opens at number one at the box office, I wonder what he'll be driving tomorrow? Unless they are still working from home then he'll probably endlessly drive around the block playing loud music.

I mentioned in another thread, but the major success of NWH just complicates the negotiation to extend the deal. More money more problems. I do think money probably needs to exchange hands this time like in 2011 and unlike 2015 and 2019.

OneTrueJack

Aug 30, 2020
I'm reminded that the original ending for Iron-Man implied the film took place in the same universe as Fox's X-Men movies, Ang Lee's Hulk (which the 2008 film is clearly supposed to be a soft sequel too) and Raimi's Spider-Man. So trying to play nice with the other studios must have been a thought at some stage.

OP
OP
Soupman Prime

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Sony were on their knees with Spiderman, only had I.P. strength, quality wasn't there. Fox put out brilliant movies like Logan, Deadpool and X-Men: Days of Futures Past so didn't need MCU to help out on that front, they could go it alone and still be successful. Perhaps not as successful commercially, but quality that exceeded MCU multiple times, so no, I think they weren't as desperate and so wouldn't back down on certain control imo. Buying them out was perhaps the only way.
They put out some really good movies but I always felt they really should've gotten more out of the X-Men. We talk about Venom being super popular in the 90s and his movies are doing great whether they're good or not but the X-Men were right there in popularity. Feels like each X-Men movie should've felt like an event or big time movie with a great cast and amazing powers and should've killed it at the boxoffice.

It's just crazy we have heroes like Aquaman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel doing insane numbers but the X-Men couldn't.

Oct 31, 2017
They put out some really good movies but I always felt they really should've gotten more out of the X-Men. We talk about Venom being super popular in the 90s and his movies are doing great whether they're good or not but the X-Men were right there in popularity. Feels like each X-Men movie should've felt like an event or big time movie with a great cast and amazing powers and should've killed it at the boxoffice.

It's just crazy we have heroes like Aquaman, Black Panther, Captain Marvel doing insane numbers but the X-Men couldn't.

X-Men in the 90s were crazy popular. I remember going to watch the original X-Men movie being all excited about it and coming out super disappointed because no one had costumes. It was still an okay movie but I wasn't floored by it like people were with original Spider-Man. Sony hit a home run with the first movie whereas Fox hit a single.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how long Marvel would have done that burying the Fantastic 4 and trying to make Inhumans strategy work if Fox hadnt self destructed. Never forget Garbage Bag Doom.

vinnygambini

Dec 11, 2018
Ironically it was this or Comcast but maybe Peacock would be better equipped?

LOL.

It's been weird and it's likely aside from Free Guy, it's been mostly a bomba.

Comcast would have been a better suitor... the Dreamworks and Universal acquisition has worked splendidly for Comcast.... FOX not so much for Disney.

Oct 31, 2017
Comcast would have been a better suitor... the Dreamworks and Universal acquisition has worked splendidly for Comcast.... FOX not so much for Disney.

We would still be getting a sequel to this, so that's a push for me.

DrDoom2015.png

In all seriousness saying Universal and Dreamworks worked under Comcast so Fox would too is not a good argument.

Disney did fantastic with Pixar, Marvel, and Lucas acquisition. They also pivoted the Marvel franchises out of Fox to Marvel Studios, which had a planned impact on the division. There's no telling if Fox wasn't going to be bombing under Comcast or News Corp. Their movies have either been subpar or something that reviews well but it's either not the right idea (i.e. remake of West Side Story) or it's had a poor release date/marketing/should have gone to streaming (i.e. The Last Duel, Nighmare Alley). You can try to blame Disney for the latter but they are under contract with HBO to release X amount of movies theatrically. That was inherited.

Ironically it was this or Comcast but maybe Peacock would be better equipped?

LOL.

It's been weird and it's likely aside from Free Guy, it's been mostly a bomba.

It's been all bomba since they changed the name to 20th Century Studios except Free Guy. It's kind of amazing really lol. They did have some profitable movies in 2019 post acquisition like Ford v Ferrari, Ready or Not, and JoJo Rabbit.

Oct 31, 2017
I just think they have no idea what to do with them. They did banish some of them to Hulu/Star.

Consumer behavior has changed. Having Fox movies on Hulu/Star is actually a good usage of resources. Home Alone reboot, Vacation Friends would have bombed hard at the BO. King's Man looks to be a poor product and it'll bomb. Predator will be a tentpole film on Hulu/Star since the last one bombed at the BO (before the buyout).

Disney hasn't gotten to the main Fox franchises, which is what consumers are going to the BO for. Planet of the Apes and of course Avatar will probably do well for them. They need to find the right balance between theatrical and streaming. That's not a Fox only problem though, that's everyone right now.