Will RE2 success increase the possibility of Dino Crisis being remade

• Yes

Votes: 170 31.2%
  • No

Votes: 375 68.8%

• Total voters

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, this is like asking if Sonic Mania's success could fast track a new Kid Chameleon because they were both Mega Drive platformers with Attitude.

Kismet

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
No, the DC games weren't that good. I want Capcom to remake a Ghouls 'n Ghosts game. It's about time.

Seiez

Oct 29, 2017
I think what worked during the ps1 era fot DC1 wouldn't work in our modern days.

The dinosaurs were kinda slow and clunky by virtue of it being on the ps1. It helped the game because you as a player could handle them better.

In RE the zombies are somewhat slow and resilient. The faster enemies are less common. In DC nowadays you would only have fast resilient enemies because why would a dino be anything else?

Would it primarily be a one touch death game? Would the dinosaurs just scratch you? Could you seemingly withstand a raptor bite? Zombies bite you but they don't just rip your arm off.

I think the prospect of dinosaurs is cool and appealing. The atmosphere and enemies would be really strong but the actual presentation of the horror would need a clever delivery.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
If they made it with the same love and quality as RE2, then I'm sure it would do just fine. People love Dino's, just look at Jurassic World 1 & 2 making mega money still.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It would have to follow Resident Evil's template for gameplay in order to have success with the general public, and I dont see Capcom making 2 similar franchises that would drain the well dry, just like before.

It's dead, Jim

iliketopaint_93

Use of alt account
Sep 3, 2018
No, the DC games weren't that good. I want Capcom to remake a Ghouls 'n Ghosts game. It's about time.

THAT is true. There's more demand for challenging games now, and few games match GnG in that regard. Maximo 1 & 2 were fun as well.

I think what worked during the ps1 era fot DC1 wouldn't work in our modern days.

The dinosaurs were kinda slow and clunky by virtue of it being on the ps1. It helped the game because you as a player could handle them better.

In RE the zombies are somewhat slow and resilient. The faster enemies are less common. In DC nowadays you would only have fast resilient enemies because why would a dino be anything else?

Would it primarily be a one touch death game? Would the dinosaurs just scratch you? Could you seemingly withstand a raptor bite? Zombies bite you but they don't just rip your arm off.

I think the prospect of dinosaurs is cool and appealing. The atmosphere and enemies would be really strong but the actual presentation of the horror would need a clever delivery.

Well, look at RE2make: Any time a zombie attacks, a short sequence is triggered where the camera zooms in and the main character tries to fend it off and use a defense item if available. I'm sure there are variations of this system depending on the speed and ranged attacks of the other creatures in that game, and it's likely those systems can also be built around the various dinosaur enemies in a Dino Crisis sequel/reboot/etc that's designed similarly to RE2make.

There are lots of smaller and medium sized aggressive dinosaurs like raptors which could function like faster versions of zombies and somewhat bigger dinos could do much more damage. And the REALLY large meat-eating dinosaurs like T-Rex would be one hit kills. Imagine a Dino Crisis game with open environments and a T-Rex is a stalker character like Mr X is in RE2make (and the rex in DC1 was pretty much intended to be that as well). There's lots of potential for an intense survival horror game with the Dino Crisis IP.

It would have to follow Resident Evil's template for gameplay in order to have success with the general public, and I dont see Capcom making 2 similar franchises that would drain the well dry, just like before.

It's dead, Jim

I agree that it shouldn't have to follow the REmake template completely, but it could play similarly enough and offer it's own spin on it that you wouldn't get from the current RE games. Having it take place in much larger/open environments might be one example of that.

Last edited:

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
It could in the way that Final Fantasy VII remake could fast track a Mystic Quest remake.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Dino Crisis was nowhere near as popular as RE

Sorry Jawmuncher

Oct 28, 2017
Dino Crisis: 2.4 million copies WW (PSX) vs. Resident Evil 3: 3.5 million (PSX). Seems like an easy choice.

Dino Crisis 2: 1.2 million.

Dino Crisis 3: 0.14 million (lol)

The thing is, Dino Crisis 3 probably killed the franchise for good.
Jesus I knew DC3 bombed but wow.

But in any case, I firmly believe that if a Dino Crisis remake happened in the modern era it would outsell the original handily.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Hate to say it, but no one cares about Dino Crisis. Only the second game was really any good (apparantly. I haven't played it yet) The first was a super-derivative RE knock-off that had dino's for some arbitrary reason, but they could have easily been replaced by killer beercans and it would have been the same game.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Anyone who voted No is going onto "The List"

Besides that, while perhaps RE2 itself might not be a factor. The RE Engine itself is probably one of the biggest contributing factors of it happening. A lot of talk of Dino Crisis at Capcom is "We're waiting for the right tech" and I think RE Engine is that tech.

"I think if you were to create Dino Crisis with modern gaming technology it would be a really exciting prospect,"

This is from Kawata (RE7 producer) who seems to have some interest in the series still. Let's also not forget the DC cameo from Shu in the recent Ace Attorney Anime.
Onimusha & Dino Crisis are arguably the biggest franchises poised for a return at Capxom.
With this being the 20th anniversary of the series. I think we'll get a good idea of what is in store for it this year. The IP has been getting slowly more use and whenever other talks of remakes like RE2 are asked. DC seems to lead that pack over anything else.

Ryan_MSF

Oct 26, 2017
관악구, South Korea
The Resident Evil franchise is beloved, and as others have said - the realistic outcome is that it'll just fasttrack more RE games.

Dino Crisis is beloved by one man and his army of alt accounts.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Hey as far as I am concerned I would be happy to see RE Engine get pushed in as many directions as possible!

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
It's more like which series has better chance of come back. Onimusha or Dino Crisis.

Consider popularity at its peak, Onimusha 1/2 broke 1 million sell in Japan ( not so much on international level ) while Dino Crisis barely made 400k? Even at it lowest, Dawn of dream game still sell quite ok comparing to Dino Crisis series ( Dino 3 totally kill the series ).

Both samurai and Dinosaur are coming back in a big way. More on gaming side for Samurai, more on movie side for Dinosaur ( Basically Jurassic world ). But dinosaur is less crowded in gaming scene, so pushing out Samurai now will face lots of competition.

Building a good dinosaur game is a lot harder than samurai, size play the big part here. While you can make slow and fast enemy in samurai game, it's not very realistic with slow dinosaur enemy. Developer who take dinosaur will find it a lot more challenging to work with.

With RE engine, it's clearly easier to work with human model than dinosaur ( reading from interview somewhere where the dev complain about trying to put allegator back into RE2make ). But Capcom also have lots of experience from Monster Hunter series, maybe Dino game on MT Framework instead?

With all of these combine. I think Capcom will end up making RE3make.

H4zeVentura

Alt-Account
Banned
Dec 28, 2018
its really disappointing how few devs actually dare to try their hand at dinos.

And capcom of all should be the perfect one to be making such a game. They have all the HD dino assets in the world, they have the ip, they have the good will , and they have experience making good shooters.

If those trashfire movies can make billions , capcom sure as shit can make a successful dino crisis. Call it resident hunter : dino crisis for all i care if you believe the thing would need too much marketing. Make chris or leon the hero on a dino island and have them punch dinos to craft pre historic bling.

I would be so down for that.

Anyway, I would buy a remake of DC2 day one, what a great game it was/is.
I even replayed it on an Emulator and had tons of fun, love it.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I do not think the success of Resident Evil remakes is indicative of the potential success or even desire of a Dino Crisis remake, especially when you consider that Dino Crisis has nowhere near as much mindshare as Resident Evil and last had relevancy 15 years ago.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
It's more like which series has better chance of come back. Onimusha or Dino Crisis.

Consider popularity at its peak, Onimusha 1/2 broke 1 million sell in Japan ( not so much on international level ) while Dino Crisis barely made 400k? Even at it lowest, Dawn of dream game still sell quite ok comparing to Dino Crisis series ( Dino 3 totally kill the series ).

Both samurai and Dinosaur are coming back in a big way. More on gaming side for Samurai, more on movie side for Dinosaur ( Basically Jurassic world ). But dinosaur is less crowded in gaming scene, so pushing out Samurai now will face lots of competition.

Building a good dinosaur game is a lot harder than samurai, size play the big part here. While you can make slow and fast enemy in samurai game, it's not very realistic with slow dinosaur enemy. Developer who take dinosaur will find it a lot more challenging to work with.

With RE engine, it's clearly easier to work with human model than dinosaur ( reading from interview somewhere where the dev complain about trying to put allegator back into RE2make ). But Capcom also have lots of experience from Monster Hunter series, maybe Dino game on MT Framework instead?

With all of these combine. I think Capcom will end up making RE3make.

One thing DC will always have Onimusha. DC1 sold more than any one title in the Onimusha series. Which for a PS1 game is still quite a feat.
Onimusha did well consistently selling over 1 million though. DC sadly didn't manage to stay in that trend after DC2.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I'm still of the opinion that Capcom should keep Resident Evil down the Survival Horror path it's on but bring back Action RE via the Dino Crisis series. What I'm saying is that I want a game that will let me suplex a velociraptor, dive away from them in four different directions and let me shoot them from my back.

Heid

Jan 7, 2018
I think investors need to see other AAA dinosaur games before taking the leap?

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
To answer the poll, yes, in that RE2 doing well will have Capcom continuing these big remakes instead of just stopping outright.

To answer the title and OP, no because it's a lot more likely they just continue remaking the RE games for the foreseeable future.

raygcon

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
One thing DC will always have Onimusha. DC1 sold more than any one title in the Onimusha series. Which for a PS1 game is still quite a feat.
Onimusha did well consistently selling over 1 million though. DC sadly didn't manage to stay in that trend after DC2.

Yes. On international level it looks something like this

Dino crisis
Onimusha
Onimusha2
Onimush3
Dino crisis 2
Dawn of dreams

Dino crisis 3

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
More than what specific titles we will or won't see, we're sure to see future horror oriented Resident Evil titles. RE3 should be one. Perhaps the next mainline title will be too.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
Come on, it's Capcom, they probably forgot about all their side IPs and want to focus on that safe games.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
I think a reboot with elements from both Dino 1 and Dino 2 might be more interesting for me. I felt Dino Crisis 1 was very close to a RE with dinos with even a bigger focus on puzzles. Dino 2 found a more unique identity for the series (and was one of my favorites games in the playstation).

KorrZ

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
RE2's success will ensure that an RE3 Remake gets off the ground I'd bet.

I doubt anyone at Capcom is actually thinking about Dino Crisis, lol.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Jesus I knew DC3 bombed but wow.

But in any case, I firmly believe that if a Dino Crisis remake happened in the modern era it would outsell the original handily.

Yea, I was just about to say the same thing regarding DC3. You'd think they could've got more than that just getting the Dev's to ask their friends and family to buy the game... !

I don't think Dino Crisis will come back, but I definitely agree that there is a gap in the market for a game like it. Just need to persuade a developer to use dinosaurs instead of, you know, zombies... again... something like... Call of Duty: Dinos haha or more seriously, what about getting Techland on the case, once Dying Light 2 finally emerges.

As a side note, Dino Crisis on the PlayStation Classic would have been a really nice choice (but I know, I know... there's more than 20 other "nice choices" that should have been put on there before).