• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

JMS

Jul 22, 2022

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Is this literally the most popular non mobile video game in the world right now?

ThreePi

Dec 7, 2017
It's crazy to me that there was a time where FPS eSports meant Counter Strike. And that was probably 20 years ago. And now Counter Strike is probably bigger than it ever has been.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
when I was around 15-18 everybody was about counter strike. I'm leaning to my forties soon and I don't play , nor any single body I know. That's odd.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Counter strike is a great game and great esport. I just hate how entrenched it is in gambling.

OP
OP
JMS

JMS

Jul 22, 2022
Is this literally the most popular non mobile video game in the world right now?
League of Legends seems to have 1M players online right now, there are no official stats for Riot's FPS game Valorant which is more dominant in North-America but not elsewhere.

The all-time Steam record is PUBG with ~3 Million players but that included players from China as far as I know, CS:GO doesn't as it has a separate version for Chinese players called Perfect World

Jay_AD

Oct 28, 2017
Something about CS still being fucking huge with a whole new, young audience just warms my heart.

I've never got hugely into it (because I've never been the kind of player that exclusively plays one thing), but have always played it on and off since the Half-Life mod days. Old LAN party mainstay, with Starcraft, AoE2, Quake and UT. Just timeless, evergreen mechanics.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Don CS:GO, the king of FPS. It's always great to see this game doing so good and I'm so looking forward to the sequel this year.

Oct 29, 2017
It's just a brilliant game.

I recently wanted to get into Valirant but learning all the abilities, along with that damn rootkit which kept messing with OpenRGB, virtualization and my TPM I just gave up.

There is also no uninstaller for the Riot Client which starts automatically.

CS needs decent competition so this sucks.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
You love to see it. When CSGO first came out, it was a mess, looked like a total flop and any attempt to revive Counter-Strike was doomed to fail.

Look at it now. It's such a good game. If there's one game I've always come back to over the past 20 years, it's this - so the fact I have a really good and popular version of it to come back (and hopefully an even better version soon with CS2) makes me happy.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
when I was around 15-18 everybody was about counter strike. I'm leaning to my forties soon and I don't play , nor any single body I know. That's odd.
I played it consistently until go came out. Playe the beta 1.6 stuff and a shitload of source. If it was still like source id keep playing. So much custom content with source then go came out and it was obvious that would not be remotely as big on it with the matchmaking. The matchmaking and the more seriousness of go drove me away. I had played on the same source server for years and years. I hate matchmaking, but im in the minority.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
I think League still has more by a fair bit.

Sometimes WOW might even beat those numbers. Like, on a good day.
There is no way WOW ever haas anything close to those numbers. Right now this number in WOW is probably closer to total subscribers than concurrent users.

Crono

Oct 25, 2017
Long live the 2nd kind of fps( behind dod ehehehe). Cant wait until cs2 gets officially released so everyone can play and pew pew

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
13-16 for me when CS was the shit at school, and now in recent years csgo has become the most played game in my old man gamer group that has avg age of 35+, crazy

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Damn didn't know there was that many prankster grandmas and uncles playing CSGO when it's not even a major holiday today

/s

Trey2Deebo

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2022
I think the intimate tactical shooter genre is one of the most classic so I'm not surprised to see this success. I wish we could get something similar on consoles. I know there is RS Siege but that's a lot smaller in scale. Something like SOCOM or CS would be real nice on consoles.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I think the intimate tactical shooter genre is one of the most classic so I'm not surprised to see this success. I wish we could get something similar on consoles. I know there is RS Siege but that's a lot smaller in scale. Something like SOCOM or CS would be real nice on consoles.

supposedly valorant is getting a console release. Though I have to imagine a game like CS or valorant would be awful on a controller

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
for fun, here's where it placed in 2012:

P0ScynMKPk34ZWkDXi677D8OhwwERnsvzCsxnrpfaPI.png

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
I played it consistently until go came out. Playe the beta 1.6 stuff and a shitload of source. If it was still like source id keep playing. So much custom content with source then go came out and it was obvious that would not be remotely as big on it with the matchmaking. The matchmaking and the more seriousness of go drove me away. I had played on the same source server for years and years. I hate matchmaking, but im in the minority.
I get the feeling, but there are tons and tons of custom GO servers too, you don't have to use matchmaking.

Ganado

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
You love to see it. When CSGO first came out, it was a mess, looked like a total flop and any attempt to revive Counter-Strike was doomed to fail.

Look at it now. It's such a good game. If there's one game I've always come back to over the past 20 years, it's this - so the fact I have a really good and popular version of it to come back (and hopefully an even better version soon with CS2) makes me happy.
Yep, I remember playing the beta and thinking "wow, this is garbage". Didn't buy it until years later when the first operation came out. Then right after the Arms Deal update came out and the climb to the top started.

Saucycarpdog

Oct 25, 2017
Insurgency Sandstorm exists but console players largely ignored it.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
I know I've been playing a bit more after a long break since after getting my Steam Deck.

Can't wait for CS2.

haveheart

Oct 25, 2017
Skin prices are skyrocketing because of surge in popularity and upcoming source tech updates. I startet with a Vulkan I won in a raffle on the old place. Now my inventory is 800$.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
supposedly valorant is getting a console release. Though I have to imagine a game like CS or valorant would be awful on a controller

aren't these tac shooters mostly all about holding down angles with good crosshair placement? they're much slower paced, at least movement-wise, which should make aiming easier as well, so i don't see how they would be uniquely bad with a controller.

i only played a couple of sessions of valorant though, and i haven't played cs for over two decades now, so maybe i'm just being ignorant here.

tatwo

Oct 27, 2017
Finland
I started playing it again. Had 50 hours played couple weeks ago but now it's almost 200 hours. I always watch the Majors but haven't really felt like playing it before.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
for fun, here's where it placed in 2012:

P0ScynMKPk34ZWkDXi677D8OhwwERnsvzCsxnrpfaPI.png

It was crazy that CS:GO was seen as another Condition Zero moment for the series. The Source players had no reason to switch over and to the 1.6 players it was just another version that lacked the feel and intricacies of their desired game (the camp I was in). I never got into GO as much as previous versions but it's been wild to watch its growth.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Generally steam and PC gaming seems to be dominated by quite a few old games right now.

Is console really that different?

Most played games - Microsoft Store

Most played games – Shop these 49 items and explore Microsoft Store for great apps, games, laptops, PCs, and other devices.

TxFZJjE.png

Years-old live service games and annual releases. The only exception is Jedi Survivor, highlighted in green.

That's just gaming in general these days.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
CS will forever be king fps. Gotta have something to do with the last csgo major right around the corner and the release of player stickers just recently. I hope cs continues to grow with cs2.