• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Joseph Staten of Microsoft talked to the folks over at Windows Central about Crackdown 3, and there was a lot that was discussed, but the most interesting thing, at least for Era (and Jim Sterling) I think, will be the following: Crackdown 3 will have no microtransactions or lootboxes, as Staten revealed when asked about the post launch support planned for the game.

We're not committing to anything right now, we're still experimenting with what's best to do. We're looking at what people find fun, tweaking the balance and so on. We also look at the long-term hooks. We know that we didn't want to go with microtransactions. We're not going with the concept of loot crates. There will be things you can unlock, increasingly cool things. Whether they're rank based, or based on the number of matches, we're honestly still playing with it. We've made hundreds of things to unlock. We can take that to many places.

Which is refreshing in a large scale AAA release these days, particularly one with a multiplayer component (yes, I know Sony and Nintendo don't do it, but Microsoft does, and I am happy to see them step away from this).

It's certainly raised my interest in the game.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Stick to fun and simplicity, would be quite refreshing. Less chore, that's what I'm itching for. Don't want to look at inventory, hellish skill trees, armour unlocks.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Its like the headphone jack, its sad that developers now have to announce their game has no microtransactions.

Good to hear it doesn't though.

Error 52

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I'm sure some will snark "Oh, we're praising them for not doing anything now?" and not undeservedly so, but the infestation of micro transactions in their games was the one real blackmark against Microsoft's move towards a consumer friendly image (well that and requiring gold for online but Microsoft ain't ever turning their nose up at that cash) so this is a good sign.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is the one game from Microsoft that is making me keep a XB1X, I dont know what it is about collecting orbs that makes me happy but it does. It is sad though that now it has to be mentioned that a game doesn't consist microtransactions.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
This game is going to be a bunch of good video game ass fun. No more no less. They just got a little too ambitious.

Sioul

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 27, 2017
This is the one game from Microsoft that is making me keep a XB1X, I dont know what it is about collecting orbs that makes me happy but it does. It is sad though that now it has to be mentioned that a game doesn't consist microtransactions.

You know the reason

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The game is supposed to come out soon, but they have no idea what type of progression system they're going with??

L4DANathan

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Fairfax, VA, USA
There have been so many games that make this claim, then do it anyway that I now have a firm stance of only believing it if they get to 6 months past release without them.

Nirolak

Oct 25, 2017
I think that's probably the right call for a game that's been having a lot of headwinds over its development.

If the game is successful and they really want that kind of revenue stream later, they can always put it in a sequel that will presumably have a much smoother development and a strong built in fanbase.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
Funny how people make all these excuses about about these high selling games needing microtranstractions but this game which is probably gonna flop isn't going to have them

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
giphy.gif

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
Well, of course, game got enough problems already. Adding a loot box controversy would be disastrous.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Funny how people make all these excuses about about these high selling games needing microtranstractions but this game which is probably gonna flop isn't going to have them
It's even funnier than people still don't understand the economics of the difference between collecting $60 from a sale instead of $42, or that MS makes an absolute fortune from MTX in general thanks to 30% of everything bought in Fortnite, FIFA, Overwatch, etc. etc. on the Xbox platform.

Hardvlade

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Which is refreshing in a large scale AAA release these days, particularly one with a multiplayer component (yes, I know Sony and Nintendo don't do it, but Microsoft does, and I am happy to see them step away from this).

Correct me if I'm wrong, didn't TLOU and UC4 have microtransactions in their multiplayer modes?

Pasha

Banned
Jan 27, 2018
Maybe MS is shifting away from regular type of DLC and trying to experiment with Game Pass being their post launch revenue stream?

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully that includes the kind of skeevy card stuff Microsoft was shoving into their first party titles a bit ago.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

Sony has mtx in TLOU/Uncharted and GT Sport. Amd those are pretty much the only multiplayer offerings sony has. So theyre 2 for 2 on that front.