Kraq

Oct 25, 2017
Crash's new design is definitely better than in NST. Really looking forward to seeing some gameplay on Monday!

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
latest

Next gen SSDs could've fixed this bad boys load times. why Activision??!! WHYYYY

Fun fact: those "load times" existed because there was supposed to be a mini game played between levels, which had to be removed late in development but the delay introduced for it wasn't - so during the 40 seconds or so of "loading" the game literally isn't doing anything but artificially waiting around for no reason - the level is already loaded up within the first 5-10 seconds of that screen. The Greatest Hits versions fixed the bug and the loading screen is significantly shorter.

Harley

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2020
the Oldest House, NYC, NY
Fun fact: those "load times" existed because there was supposed to be a mini game played between levels, which had to be removed late in development but the delay introduced for it wasn't - so during the 40 seconds or so of "loading" the game literally isn't doing anything but artificially waiting around for no reason - the level is already loaded up within the first 5-10 seconds.
That's astonishing. Do you happen to know what sort of mini-game it was? I'm hard pressed to think of something that would justify wasting so much time.

Chibs

Nov 5, 2017
Belgium
Did not expect the 4! Hyped!

I noticed some people are not happy with Toys For Bob developing this. Might I ask why that is? I was under the impression that they did a great job with the Spyro trilogy?

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I didn't like the remake, especially because of the controls, but I'm curious about a new Crash made 0

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
I really hope it sticks to the closed corridor platforming of 1-3. Please! I like a 3D platformer as much as the next person but I prefer Crash to stick to its roots.

Of the N.Sane Trilogy, does it perform best (for consoles) on Xbox One X?

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
It's a shame if there are no PS5/XSX ports as really want to play this at 60fps, and we'll probably be waiting 12 months for a PC version like we did with Crash Trilogy and Spyro.

I'm guessing being numbered will mean that it'll be very much in the style and structure of the original trilogy. So no need to worry about open world Crash, hopefully.

Belthazar90

Banned
Jun 3, 2019
Note how the Xbox box says "Xbox One Xbox Series X" and the Playstation box says nothing

Read the bottom of the box, it also says: "Xbox One game playable on Xbox Series X". It's only taking about BC which, as we already know, is also gonna be available with the PS4 version.

tony hawk pro skater 1+2 remaster, and they're most likely assisting on this as well.

Yeah, I imagine level designers, composers and whatnot are probably assisting with this, since they won't be needed on THPS 1+2.

Last edited:

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
That's astonishing. Do you happen to know what sort of mini-game it was? I'm hard pressed to think of something that would justify wasting so much time.

Not sure. The studio's former director did a Q&A about it a while ago on his youtube channel GameHut, I think they had to remove the minigame because of that silly Namco patent. But why the game needed a mini game that took up so much extra time during loading screens I'm not sure.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
Between this, a new SKATE game and the release of Part II, this might be the best gaming-related week ever for me

Estro

Jul 17, 2019
Wow, that's some leak: boxart and synopsis, no less. Hope they were planning on showing some gameplay on that announcement on the 22nd because everything else will already be known.

Anyway, really pumped about this. I really enjoyed the trilogy and it will be really fun to play a new Crash done from the ground up. Hope the same ends up happenning with Spyro.

Harley

Alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2020
the Oldest House, NYC, NY
Not sure. The studio's former director did a Q&A about it a while ago on his youtube channel GameHut, I think they had to remove the minigame because of that Namco patent. Why the game needed a mini game during loading screens I'm not sure.
It's a fun idea and a shame that the Namco patent blocks everyone else from doing something creative with it, especially when they're not using their patent very well for the most part. But from your description going out of the way to lengthen the load screen duration seems cruel, unless they had a particularly amusing or engaging min-game concept.

MrTommo2304

Apr 4, 2019
All I've wanted from Crash's return is a brand new sequel to the original trilogy, done in the exact style of those games. Linear levels, multiple worlds, a boss at the end of each - I cannot wait to see how this looks and which bosses they choose. Bring back Ripper Roo!

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
It's a fun idea and a shame that the Namco patent blocks everyone else from doing something creative with it, especially when they're not using their patent very well for the most part. But from your description going out of the way to lengthen the load screen duration seems cruel, unless they had a particularly amusing or engaging min-game concept.

Looks like there's a bit more info on The Cutting Room Floor website:

The original PS2 version of the game is notorious for its long load times, averaging around 47 seconds. According to the founder of Traveler's Tales, this was actually a leftover of a small minigame earlier in development that would occur where you could move Crash through hyperspace and collect Wumpa Fruit as he warped into the level, and any Wumpa Fruit collected would be added to your totals when the level loaded. However, due to a fraudulent patent Namco had over loading screen minigames at the time it had to be removed, and due to time constraints the long load times from when the minigame still existed couldn't be removed.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Bet it will also come on Switch later, would be weird not to especially since this isn't a next gen title.
yeah. it's most likely that the dev is focussed on getting the ps4/x1 versions out, with them or another studio then porting the game to switch/pc. i wouldn't be too worried about a switch version, it just sucks that it's not ready for launch.

NintenDuvo08

Oct 30, 2017
Yes im very excited for Crash to be getting a sequel, but This sucks for us Switch fans meaning we will have to wait a year to play this

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOO

4 is blowing my mind, I genuinely never thought we'd see another numbered Crash game again. So hyped.

Scruffy8642

Jan 24, 2020
Hard to get excited about this. Even if it was VV, we only have one level as proof that they can actually come up with great Crash platforming levels. We got no proof for Toys for Bob, even if the Spyro remake was good. Remaining cautiously weary would be wise.

Funny that Activision is admitting all their past Crash games sucked by numbering this lol.