• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

Pro/X: 1440p
XB1/PS4: 1080p
Switch Docked: 720p
Switch Handheld: 480p

Really disappointed to see Switch not get a dynamic resolution and extremely disappointed that X has parity with Pro at 1440p. Hurts as well that ambient occlusion is very low resolution with lots of shimmering. Hope to see a 4K patch on X in the future.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure the Switch version is the same as NST (runs on the same engine so it makes sense). I also vaguely remember DF I think? saying NST ran at a higher horizontal resolution but I'm not 100% sure.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm assuming PC will have to wait a year, like with Spyro, which is nonsense. Didn't realize we were back in the late 2000s/early 2010s with "ports" taking years to come over.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I can't stand the fur render in the PS4/XBO versions. Crash just doesn't look right to me, and I don't know if it's why he seems to have a more pronounced neon orange tint to him. Actually kind of happy I went with the Switch version, the art design is enough to make the resolution drop kind of less of a big issue.

Odesu

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, that's pretty rough. To be constrained to 30FPS on X and not even get 4K is a bummer.

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I don't get the complaints about the lack of dynamic resolution on Switch. 720p/480p is decent resolution, and given there's no framerate drops there will be headroom in most frames, which will save a lot of battery life.

Overall it's a very decent port, it looks basically the same as the other versions, simply with lower res.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I find it kinda weird how almost everyone gets crazy when a racer releases at only 30 fps yet it's fine for CTR even on X/Pro.

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get the complaints about the lack of dynamic resolution on Switch. 720p/480p is decent resolution, and given there's no framerate drops there will be headroom in most frames, which will save a lot of battery life.

Overall it's a very decent port, it looks basically the same as the other versions, simply with lower res.

There are framerate drops on Switch not frequent but there are there in the video.

Fortinbras

Oct 27, 2017
User warned: ‘lazy devs’ rhetoric
I'm super disappointed in the lazy X version but I'm not surprised after the half-assed Spyro trilogy. Seems like Activision doesn't pay these developers to optimize their games for Xbox.

Last edited:

Deleted member 14663

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It plays really well on Switch, 30 FPS does not seem to bother me. Maybe I would change my mind if I played the other versions.

NekoNeko

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
half assed all round. can't believe they didn't get flack for this, this isn't a niche title.

Oct 25, 2017
I find it kinda weird how almost everyone gets crazy when a racer releases at only 30 fps yet it's fine for CTR even on X/Pro.
I also find it just as weird how so many militant 60fps kart fans still went on to shit on Team Sonic Racing for not being an All Stars title instead, despite prioritizing framerate. Funny how fickle gamers are.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
so the X version is only 1440p and also 30 fps?

I wasn't gonna buy it because of 30 fps anyway, but 1440p is just another slap in the face.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I can easily distinguish 30 from 60 fps but this game is really smooth despite being 30. It's also fast. I felt slow playing other games after playing CTR for a couple of days.

KartuneDX

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
inb4 the hot takes on the inferior Switch version
(The game looks really really good handheld tbh)

jimboton

Oct 27, 2017
I also find it just as weird how so many militant 60fps kart fans still went on to shit on Team Sonic Racing for not being an All Stars title instead, despite prioritizing framerate. Funny how fickle gamers are.
Fickle? What does one thing have to do with the other?

I don't think it looks *that* good tbh. Tracks are so small it's borderline claustrophobic and no amount of window dressing will disguise that fact. Particularly if said window dressing comes at a hefty 30 fps price.

Still want to play it tho.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

Disturbed that people would pass on an extremely fun kart racer for totally superficial reasons despite "framerate being king"? Yes, very!

Just a reminder that this is a tech thread and the entire point of it is for people to discuss the graphics/performance.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
In handheld mode it looks horrible compared to the other two kart racers, to be honest.

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I have the game and it isn't. Game plays great in handheld.
I know framerate is stable but I think resolution is too low even for a 720p screen.

crash trilogy is also 480p, right? i had a blast playing that for ~50 hours. while native res is ideal, 480p looks good on the switch screen as well if it's done right.
I played N Sane Trilogy too and I thought the game looked very very blurry. Id have preferred 480p without antialiasing in that game.