• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Blog

Here at Psyonix, and Epic Games as a whole, we are dedicated to creating the best possible experience for our players all over the world. In pursuit of that goal, later this year we will remove all paid, randomized Crates from Rocket League, replacing them with a system that shows the exact items you're buying in advance. This is similar to changes implemented earlier this year by the Fortnite Save the World team.

Rocket Pass Premium, DLC Cars, and Esports Shop items will continue to be offered for direct purchase alongside our new system.

We will share more information, including timelines and roll-out specifics, in the coming months.

This is a list of links to comments made by Psyonix Staff in this thread:

"This is similar to changes implemented earlier this year by the Fortnite Save the World team."
Below is a blog post of how it works in save the world. The system linked by psyonix as an example.

Introducing "X-Ray" Llamas! Previously known as V-Buck Llamas, X-Ray Llamas will now show you the contents before you purchase it. Not interested in what the Llama offers? Simply wait until the daily store refresh and there will be a new selection.

How will this work?
  1. Llamas prices remain the same, and llamas can still be earned through gameplay.
  2. The price doesn't change when the llama upgrades - you can see the upgrade before you purchase, and any item can come from the cheapest Llama. You can wait and find your favorite weapon in a 50 V-Buck llama, with no guessing!
  3. The items offered are based on your account in order to apply dupe prevention.
    • Dupe Prevention: Introduced in the v5.10 Patch, after the Llama has determined the item rarity and type of drop (Epic or Legendary Hero, Weapon, or Schematic) it will select an item from that category that is not already in your inventory or Collection Book. This applies to Epic, Legendary and Mythic Heroes, Epic and Legendary Schematics and Mythic Lead Survivors.
    • Example: This means that if the Llama picks Legendary (rarity) Shotgun (type), for example, it will give you a Legendary Shotgun you do not already have. If you have all of the legendary Shotguns, it will give you a duplicate Shotgun. It will not pick from another category.
  4. Specific items can still be directly purchased with earnable in-game resources.
  5. All the fun of opening Llamas, and only the items you want!

You will no longer be able to purchase multiple V-Buck Llamas at once when this feature launches. We are making this change so we can show you the rewards of each Llama one at a time, which gives you more choice in the Llamas you decide to open.

Last edited:

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A world without loot crates where you can buy exactly what you want as far as cosmetics go is a better one that one with loot crates. Of course the perfect world is no microtransactions at all, but I have to be realistic.

woodland

Oct 25, 2017
A world without loot crates where you can buy exactly what you want as far as cosmetics go is a better one that one with loot crates. Of course the perfect world is no microtransactions at all, but I have to be realistic.

Reminds me of early in Dota 2, where you could actually buy the items you wanted in addition to buying crates... which quickly went by the wayside as Valve saw how great it was to sell randomized crates.

Praxis

Sausage Tycoon
Oct 25, 2017
UK
There goes my Dissolver value...

This is a positive change and much better in the long run though.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
I'm absolutely content with microtransactions being in my games if they aren't predatory like loot boxes.

Good move.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
Guess I need to sell my extra white octane ASAP. Wonder if the trading market will even exist after this.

Havok

Oct 27, 2017
Northern VA
Their crate and key bullshit system is what made me lose interest in the game entirely, so maybe I"ll start playing again now.

Oct 26, 2017
But you don't buy crates in Rocket League I thought, you buy keys to unlock the crates you got by playing. Are they getting rid of all of those crates? If so I wonder what that means for the 100 or so I am sitting on right now because I won't spend money to unlock them.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
But you don't buy crates in Rocket League I thought, you buy keys to unlock the crates you got by playing. Are they getting rid of all of those crates? If so I wonder what that means for the 100 or so I am sitting on right now because I won't spend money to unlock them.
The crates will be replaced by something else, but they're not saying how it will work yet. Probably just show the item in the crate with a cost to buy it or something.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't Rocket League's lootboxes just brought up in Mr. Sterling's video yesterday?

Interesting...

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
good. having casually jumped back in, i didn't even understand why i couldn't open up the crates i earned til i realized i needed a key to open them. fucking terrible system.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I really dislike loot boxes, but I too dislike artificial scarcity of digital goods to jack up the price, hope they store will be fair and without the rotation bullshit, but I will not be surprised if not.

JustinBailey

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lootboxes make the game more fun - predatory lootboxes do not. I think theres a line and it should be followed

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't Rocket League's lootboxes just brought up in Mr. Sterling's video yesterday?

Interesting...
This is an Epic decision I think. They removed them from save the world awhile ago and will be using a similar rework for rocket league. I think the bad press and lawmakers talking about it is starting to make lootboxes less than desirable for them.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm just saying this is all fine and dandy but I was sitting on a fat stack of lootboxes I was going to trade in for keys to get the season pass thing wtf do I do with those now? They'd better have some sort of trade in scheme planned. I'm happy about this change because lootboxes are disgusting but you can't take away the 300 you gave me without giving me something in return you know what I'm saying.

Oct 27, 2017
Good. I bought one key one time when they first came in, got shite that I didn't want and never bothered again. If I could have just paid real money for the specific cosmetic fluff I actually wanted rather than this randomised crate bullshit they'd have got vastly more money out of me over the last couple of years.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
You're probably right.

An interesting coincidence, then.
They started doing Rocket Pass a year ago. I'm sure they were looking at the financial impact of this change as they implemented Rocket Pass and then the Esports items direct purchase shop earlier this year. And they've had direct purchase cars since launch basically.

Oct 26, 2017
q8VAxQA.png
I don't really care about the crates, I have the 10 keys for/from the Rocket Pass... though I should maybe use my decryptors on something before they go away? I guess I'll just wait for details on the transition before I make that call.

Complicated

Oct 29, 2017
I don't really care about the crates, I have the 10 keys for/from the Rocket Pass... though I should maybe use my decryptors on something before they go away? I guess I'll just wait for details on the transition before I make that call.
They've said keys will be transferred. I'm guessing just to regular currency on whatever platform you play on or whatever new rocket league currency they make up. Decryptors should probably be used though.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I literaly stopped playing Rocket League two years ago because I hated their system. And I loved the game.
So, good move.

Oct 30, 2017
Legit the most unappealing lootbox system in videogames. You get crates, but can't open them unless you have the right keys. If you have the right key, you spin the wheel and get one item out of roughly a dozen. It's so bad.

Dec 13, 2017
The first part makes sense but you totally lost me at the Llama thing since I'm not familiar with Fortnight.
If the Llama thing is something totally separate then whatever.
Overall sounds like a fantastic positive change.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Here is my guess how the existing system will work going by the save the world rework and what psyonix has said:

Existing crates will turn into non random crates that will have a set price and an item that will refresh everyday and be unique to the individual player. Rare items will still be valuable and tradable and will show up in crates much more rarely to keep their rarity. Trading will still be a thing because you are never guaranteed the item you want showing up. So if you log in and your crate show some ultra rare white wheel for instance you buy it because you can probably turn around and flip it for more keys because they are so rare.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
This is an Epic decision I think. They removed them from save the world awhile ago and will be using a similar rework for rocket league. I think the bad press and lawmakers talking about it is starting to make lootboxes less than desirable for them.
They milked that system for as long as possible.

This change... when will they finally go F2P for this game? That's surely the next step under Epic Games.

Nov 3, 2017
As someone who just got back into this this is cool, I wouldn't mind the crates if you could unlock them yourself but earning something you can't actually do anything with unless you cough up money isn't ideal

Dingotech

Oct 25, 2017
Bloody good decision, the crate system damaged my love for the game. Heck they may even get a few extra dollars out of me depending on how it works.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I discovered Alpha Console not too long ago so I'm absolutely fine with whatever they want to do with the crates.

I have so many and I've basically used them as trade-bait over the years and gotten pretty much every car I've ever wanted (even the Rocket Pass ones without ever buying a pass).

Oct 25, 2017
Something actually good from epic. Though I'm not actually surprised in this instance since it lines up with fortnite and that prints money under this system

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like all games are doing this.i logged into quake champions and it did the same thing.

OP
OP
CountAntonio

CountAntonio

Oct 25, 2017
Legit the most unappealing lootbox system in videogames. You get crates, but can't open them unless you have the right keys. If you have the right key, you spin the wheel and get one item out of roughly a dozen. It's so bad.
Right keys? Huh? all rocket league keys are universal and the fact that you can trade keys, items and crates make it better than many systems where you are stuck with whatever useless junk you uboxed.

Still glad it's being removed but yeah it's nowhere near the worst.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Kudos to them. Very admirable thing to do these days. This is so funny too because Jim Sterling was just talking about how lootcrates were the one black mark on Rocket League in his last video.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
Less loot crates the better and the good will on moves like this alone should help offset the immediate changes, but I imagine Epic is helping back them at this point. I'm happy they're doing this, even if I don't play the game. One less gacha/lootbox game in the world is a win. Buying something outright will forever be superior to buying a "chance" at something so this is a win all around.

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
That random loot shit is why I left the game. Better late than never I guess.

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
The crate and key shit was awful. Really terrible way to dangle things in front of players in the name of microstransactions.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
I have hundreds of unopened creates. Curious of what will end up happening. I've never opened a crate in a game. Just not tempted by cosmetics