• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am curious to hear some insane stories for those of us who have more casual game friends.

I had a buddy the other day say that 2D fighters shouldn't ever cost $60 because they are a step backwards from 3D. That 2D is cheap and easy to make. On top of this he said game's like Street Fighter are too easy and lack depth.

My head hurt. I couldn't even begin to talk about how deep a game like SF, Guilty , or even Smash are at high level. That tons of money goes into the e sports sides of this. That I know for a fact if he played 100 matches of SF with me he wouldn't win a damn one and I could pick random the whole time.

MrS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
'Dark Souls should have an easy mode'.

This post contains hidden text, quote to reveal it

Last edited:

oneida

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I am curious to hear some insane stories for those of us who have more casual game friends.

I had a buddy the other day say that 2D fighters shouldn't ever cost $60 because they are a step backwards from 3D. That 2D is cheap and easy to make. On top of this he said game's like Street Fighter are too easy and lack depth.
he's right Kappa

ASleepingMonkey

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Iowa
"Grand Theft Auto VI is coming out next year and it's going to be the entire United States!"

I then told them that's not true and they proceeded to tell me I'm wrong and Rockstar Games confirmed it themselves. We need to end those GTA YouTubers, they spread so much bullshit.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
I hate Gatekeeping terms like "Casual." What are the natural extensions of that? Hobbyist and Professional?

Deleted member 2793

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

My head hurt. I couldn't even begin to talk about how deep a game like SF, Guilty , or even Smash are at high level. That tons of money goes into the e sports sides of this. That I know for a fact if he played 100 matches of SF with me he wouldn't win a damn one and I could pick random the whole time.
People here in this site say this. Couldn't disagree more, but it's not an actual "casual" thing.

STGHMAAV

Oct 26, 2017
Back in the day, when I was more casual (also being a kid), I said Meta Knight was garbage in Brawl.

OP
OP
Arsic

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hate Gatekeeping terms like "Casual." What are the natural extensions of that? Hobbyist and Professional?

How about someone in the context of a Fighter has no clue what a one frame link is, footsies , frame advantage , whiff punishing , etc.

Casuals exist. You can be an avid rpg player and still be a casual fighting game player .

OP
OP
Arsic

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can we not derail the thread to your own personal agenda against the word casual please ?

If you don't like it don't post.

Pillock

User Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 29, 2017
To be fair my 'casual' gaming friends tend speak far less bollocks about games than the self appointed hardcore gamers I see on forums.

Mihos

Oct 28, 2017

But, those are actual things. You wouldn't sell an entry level guitar to van hallen, and you wouldn't try to explain the difference to a 45 year old first timer.

I wouldn't recommend Dark Souls to my wife who maybe plays Candy Crush once a year on her phone either.

You also say 'gatekeeping' like it is derogatory... it is totally possible to jump from an occasional phone game to joining a top end WoW guild just like a casual fan of football who may catch a game when nothing else is on to a season ticket holder who tailgates every weekend.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Yesterday, on Twitter. Someone playing the DBFZ beta and complaining about people staying in the corner and "spamming block".

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Gatekeeping: The Thread.

Buttonwalls

Oct 28, 2017
A while ago one of my friends said that PC gaming is too expensive just because he saw I spent $800 on my PC. It was wrong back then, but if he said that now he would be kind of right.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I once saw a casual posting something like "If you don't like it don't post." in a forum because his thread didn't go down the way he thought it would.

On topic: I'm a casual myself, so.... no idea.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's nerds and then there's everyone else. Both are acceptable.

The problems start when either is condescending or dismissive.

OP
OP
Arsic

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
To be fair my 'casual' gaming friends tend speak far less bollocks about games than the self appointed hardcore gamers I see on forums.

So give us some stupid shit you've heard a self appointed "hardcore" gamer say?

Like I mentioned above you could be some hardcore rpg expert player or a Dota 2 mastermind but still end up sounding like an idiot when you talk about genres you don't know jack about .

Like my opinion on a racing game doesn't exist because I don't play them. So I'm a casual racing game player since I only dabbled with Mario kart , crusin the world , and like dirt 3.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
"I like video games"

See cause casuals don't like video they just play them , only gamers can actually like video games

Deleted member 3010

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
*Me playing a 2D indie game*

''Hey why are you playing this old game with pixels? The graphic sucks.''

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
"Grand Theft Auto VI is coming out next year and it's going to be the entire United States!"

I then told them that's not true and they proceeded to tell me I'm wrong and Rockstar Games confirmed it themselves. We need to end those GTA YouTubers, they spread so much bullshit.
This. Multiple people seem to be under the impression GTAVI is confirmed and is coming soon. And that it'll have a female lead or something. I really wonder where they get the idea. I've had to inform all of them about the existence of RDR2.

My own contributions:

"Smash is more fun with all items on"
"NSMB is better than the Galaxy games"

ZhugeEX

Senior Analyst at Niko Partners
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
This thread isn't the best idea, especially with a title like that. It's basically making fun of people who aren't 'Real Gamers™' or people who don't follow the games industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.