• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In an interview with Famitsu, Creative Producer Tetsuya Nomura shared more information regarding Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin. This includes how the title came to be, and whether or not Strange of Paradise is actually connected to the first Final Fantasy game in any substantial way. [Thanks, Famitsu!]
First and foremost, Nomura explains how the title of the game came to be. In the interview he states that while Stranger of Paradise is based off of the first entry in the Final Fantasy series, the crux of the story is that Jack is a stranger to this new world. Nomura describes the world of Final Fantasy as a "Paradise," and Jack is therefore a stranger in that land.

He goes on to state that this game is not a continuation of the first Final Fantasy game. This title draws inspiration from the first game. It more or less uses it as a "motif," according to Nomura. Additionally, the Shrine of Chaos that is available during the limited time demo will differ from the one that will appear in the complete game.
Nomura also explained that Jack's appearance, specifically his starting outfit, was designed to clearly state that he is not from the world of Final Fantasy. He also mentions that players will more than likely change their equipment a lot. Additionally, due to Jack and the Warrior of Light sharing a similar goal, Nomura mentions that they had to design these characters to be completely different from the actual Warrior of Light. Additionally, he does state that Jack's name has a special meaning and that the reasoning for it is spoiler related.

More at:
www.siliconera.com

Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin is Not a Continuation of Final Fantasy I

Creative Director Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that Stranger of Paradise is not a continuation of the first Final Fantasy game.

Explain this thread's appearance if old

EDIT: SE's official translation of the interview:
square-enix-games.com

STRANGER OF PARADISE FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN – the Famitsu interview | Square Enix Blog

Creative Producer Tetsuya Nomura, Producer Jin Fujiwara, and Director Daisuke Inoue discuss the bold new vision for the FINAL FANTASY series.

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It's really an isekai uh?

Another one!?

SI_WiiUVC_FinalFantasyTacticsAdvance.jpg

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
The title "stranger of paradise," which already was not english, makes even less sense. Imagine going to a new city and being like, "I am a Stranger of London." People would look at you like you had a hole in your head.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Jack in Japanese is basically the words for wicked and evil lol, right? Jaa and aku.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I am really curious how can normal name like Jack have a special meaning.

OP
OP
DiipuSurotu

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The title "stranger of paradise," which already was not english, makes even less sense. Imagine going to a new city and being like, "I am a Stranger of London." People would look at you like you had a hole in your head.
You mean going to London specifically? I'm not a native English speaker so it doesn't jump out to me that if the title is Engrish

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Nomura must have made a 20 page essay on why Jack is a special name at this rate

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
I'm wearing Jacks normal outfit throughout the entire game . I don't want him to ever fit into the world

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
You mean going to London specifically? I'm not a native English speaker so it doesn't jump out to me that if the title is Engrish
Yes. The English phrase is "stranger in paradise." If you search "stranger of paradise" and specify no FF results, you get no results. I am just like blown away they went with this.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017

I don't think the title is meant to be spoken by the characters.

PolygonFlux

Jan 1, 2018
Yes. The English phrase is "stranger in paradise." If you search "stranger of paradise" and specify no FF results, you get no results. I am just like blown away they went with this.
The title always felt off to me, but I couldn't immediately pinpoint why that was. Thanks for the explanation. You're spot on.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FF Origin is Jack's gritty self insert fanfic that he wrote to cope with playing a baby colouring book game like Final Fantasy 1.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
His name is Jack because he's one of five pieces of Luxord, the others being Heart, Queen, King and Spade.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Jack will become villain, the literal Chaos he is trying to defeat and from mid game you will get to play as actual WoL trying to defeat Jack (all your progress will carry on from Jack).
What a TWWEEESST.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
His name is Jack because he switches classes and is a jack of all trades.
What do I win?