gagewood

Oct 25, 2017
All I want to know is how much Max Kellerman is in this movie.

If there's one thing Creed and especially Creed II needed, it was more Max Kellerman.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017

Depends on what you read but Sly himself had said he didn't really gel with what they were going for with Creed III compared to what he prefers his heroes to be like, then there was his very public accusations against the owners of the IP seemingly wanting nothing to do with Sly any more then to rinse his characters dry, then there was a recent interview for Tulsa King where Sly said he likes MBJ a lot but he won't ever watch Creed III but that if MBJ wants him in IV he'll be there day one, and there was also MBJ saying that they couldn't naturally fit Rocky into what they wanted for this movie without it feeling contrived after where Creed II ended for the character.

So who knows the 100% truth but it's sad all around I think…

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Depends on what you read but Sly himself had said he didn't really gel with what they were going for with Creed III compared to what he prefers his heroes to be like, then there was his very public accusations against the owners of the IP seemingly wanting nothing to do with Sly any more then to rinse his characters dry, then there was a recent interview for Tulsa King where Sly said he likes MBJ a lot but he won't ever watch Creed III but that if MBJ wants him in IV he'll be there day one, and there was also MBJ saying that they couldn't naturally fit Rocky into what they wanted for this movie without it feeling contrived after where Creed II ended for the character.

So who knows the 100% truth but it's sad all around I think…
I saw Creed 1 and 2 for the first time this week, loved them but by the end of 2 I struggled to see how they could bring Sly back. It was a perfect passing of the torch ending,
with Sly telling him "it's your turn now" then starting to reconnect with his son.
I thought it would be hard to bring him back and not be contrived. But at the same time I'm sad if things between MBJ and Sly are sour now... And I hope his absence is not felt too much in Creed III. Because as much as I like MBJ, Rocky was still a big emotional anchor in Creed 1 and 2. Then again that may be all the more reason for him to be absent so that Adonis can finally forge his own path and legacy, which Creed 2 was the perfect set up for...
Maybe not having Sly in 3, and having him return in a smaller supporting role in Creed 4 would be the perfect way to go.
Gah I'm thinking about it too much, I can't wait to see the movie. Going with my dad to an IMAX screening, we'll be hyped as hell as if we went to see a real boxing match 😅

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I saw Creed 1 and 2 for the first time this week, loved them but by the end of 2 I struggled to see how they could bring Sly back. It was a perfect passing of the torch ending,
with Sly telling him "it's your turn now" then starting to reconnect with his son.
I thought it would be hard to bring him back and not be contrived. But at the same time I'm sad if things between MBJ and Sly are sour now... And I hope his absence is not felt too much in Creed III. Because as much as I like MBJ, Rocky was still a big emotional anchor in Creed 1 and 2. Then again that may be all the more reason for him to be absent so that Adonis can finally forge his own path and legacy, which Creed 2 was the perfect set up for...
Maybe not having Sly in 3, and having him return in a smaller supporting role in Creed 4 would be the perfect way to go.
Gah I'm thinking about it too much, I can't wait to see the movie. Going with my dad to an IMAX screening, we'll be hyped as hell as if we went to see a real boxing match 😅

I'm honestly not sure it's Sly beefing with MBJ as much as it is him wanting Irwin Winkler and his sons out of the whole thing moving forwards. See here, where he goes through how he feels about it all and what he says about a potential Creed IV at the end:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8dwxatkJlw&ab_channel=SiriusXM

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
All I want to know is how much Max Kellerman is in this movie.

If there's one thing Creed and especially Creed II needed, it was more Max Kellerman.

His back and forth commentary with Lampley really elevated the fights not just in Creed, but also in Rocky Balboa as the "cockeyed optimist." ;)

"Throwing body shots like HE'S Rocky Balboa! Going upstairs like HE'S Apollo Creed!"

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Dying to hear how the music score turned out. As mentioned in the trailer thread, it looks like Joseph Shirley (Tenet, The Book of Boba Fett) is set as composer for Creed III, replacing Ludwig Göransson from the first two.

I'm wondering how much of Göransson's work from the prior Creed films Shirley will choose to adapt, if any. At the very least, it's going to be strange if the Creed main theme doesn't make an appearance -- it's pretty much the series' Gonna Fly Now at this point.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Dying to hear how the music score turned out. As mentioned in the trailer thread, it looks like Joseph Shirley (Tenet, The Book of Boba Fett) is set as composer for Creed III, replacing Ludwig Göransson from the first two.

I'm wondering how much of Göransson's work from the prior Creed films Shirley will choose to adapt, if any. At the very least, it's going to be strange if the Creed main theme doesn't make an appearance -- it's pretty much the series' Gonna Fly Now at this point.
Say what you will about The Book of Boba Fett, but the music slapped. I even thought it was still Göransson at first, so I'm happy to know Shirley did the score for Creed III.
(It's like poetry)

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
Say what you will about The Book of Boba Fett, but the music slapped. I even thought it was still Göransson at first, so I'm happy to know Shirley did the score for Creed III.
(It's like poetry)

Interestingly enough, it was actually Göransson who was responsible for Boba Fett's Main Title Theme -- his sole contribution to the show's score, in fact:

www.youtube.com

Ludwig Göransson - The Book of Boba Fett (From "The Book of Boba Fett"/Audio Only)

Every galaxy has an underworld. The Original Series streaming now on Disney+.“The Book of Boba Fett,” a thrilling Star Wars adventure teased in a surprise en...

Deleted member 2802

Community Resetter
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ImmaculateWigglyHog-size_restricted.gif
😏

aevanhoe

Slayer of the Eternal Voidslurper
Aug 28, 2018
Glad for Michael B. Jordan but sports movies to me are like sports games. And sports games are like watching actual sports. And watching actual sports is like playing sports for fun (instead of health). Which, to me - is not.

I might watch it ends up on streaming somewhere, but again, glad that the reviews are good.

OP
OP
Temtastic Muns
Apr 19, 2018
RT score's ticking up and is now sitting at 91% with 74 reviews. Go Donnie go!

Gonna be a loooong week. Thinking of switching out my Friday afternoon showing for Thursday evening instead. :)

odiin

Oct 27, 2017
Glad for Michael B. Jordan but sports movies to me are like sports games. And sports games are like watching actual sports. And watching actual sports is like playing sports for fun (instead of health). Which, to me - is not.

I might watch it ends up on streaming somewhere, but again, glad that the reviews are good.

The Rocky/Creed movies have never been sports films.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK

One of the most meaningful, subversive, and reflective American films of the past decade or more for me has been a wrestling film, if I had to reduce it to that.
s-l1600.jpg

Mariachi507

Oct 26, 2017
Creed 2 is a definite step down from the first, but it's solid. It sort of felt like a regression into a typical Rocky sequel, but I liked how it handles the Drago's. Ricky Conlin isn't the larger than life villain the series has had with Clubber and Drago. To be honest, he's not really a villain. He's just a guy that made mistakes. The true villain in Creed for Adonis and Rocky is the self. Rocky lays it out in the mirror scene. It's not exactly subtle, but it offers a nuance not found as much in the more Superhero style Rocky flicks. The original Rocky does the same thing but also offers a larger than life Apollo as well. Creed 2 is also a bit campier, like give me a break with that fucking pound the mat scene, although the moment following it up is great.

Fuck it. Ranking time!

I'm about to rewatch all of these, so we'll see if this sticks.

1. Rocky
2. Creed
3. Rocky 2
4. Creed 2
5. Rocky Balboa
6. Rocky 3
7. Rocky 4
8. Rocky 5

Might watch both cuts of 4.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Creed 2 is a definite step down from the first, but it's solid. It sort of felt like a regression into a typical Rocky sequel, but I liked how it handles the Drago's. Ricky Conlin isn't the larger than life villain the series has had with Clubber and Drago. To be honest, he's not really a villain. He's just a guy that made mistakes. The true villain in Creed for Adonis and Rocky is the self. Rocky lays it out in the mirror scene. It's not exactly subtle, but it offers a nuance not found as much in the more Superhero style Rocky flicks. The original Rocky does the same thing but also offers a larger than life Apollo as well. Creed 2 is also a bit campier, like give me a break with that fucking pound the mat scene, although the moment following it up is great.

Fuck it. Ranking time!

1. Rocky
2. Creed
3. Rocky 2
4. Creed 2
5. Rocky Balboa
6. Rocky 3
7. Rocky 4
8. Rocky 5

I think this might be my exact order but I might put Creed 2 a little higher.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018

Fuck it. Ranking time!

1. Rocky
2. Creed
3. Rocky 2
4. Creed 2
5. Rocky Balboa
6. Rocky 3
7. Rocky 4
8. Rocky 5

For me it's

Rocky IV
Rocky
Rocky Balboa
Creed
Rocky III
Rocky V
Rocky II
Creed II

BRVR

Mar 9, 2022
I thought Creed 2 was significantly weaker than 1 and it was quite clear due to Cooglers absence. The cinematography and emotion of the first one was leagues ahead. That being said this film seems to be much better than 2 which i'm quite excited for, let's go.

Gorgyles

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 16, 2023
Cautiously optimistic
Rocky Balboa and Creed were both fun watches for me, but Creed 2 missed all the marks

Anime influence has me like :)

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Just watched Creed 1 and 2 back to back, and I found part 2 enjoyable as well. Cant wait for Friday.

What a great trilogy for Jordan!

Soundscream

Nov 2, 2017
Fruitvale Station came out two years earlier, Creed came out the same year but Fantastic Four would kill his career because comic books movies are all some people care about.
Again he wasn't the star and had been working actively since 1999. There is no reason to assume his career would have been over because he was in 1 bad movie.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017

Ludwig did the music for Tenet